Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

really sorry to hear that M :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Sorry to hear the bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear that M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear that Mark. But it looks like they've postponed the race to Jan 9th anyway so you might still get a chance to grab that pink hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sorry to hear the bad news M.
    Race cancelled now anyway. Will you run it in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Race cancelled now anyway. Will you run it in January?

Haven't decided on the plan for Boston yet but the revised Waterford date is 13 week out so all else being equal I'd say I will give it a lash alright.

04/12/2015 5.5m @ 08:30 avg pace (Recovery)

A few gentle recovery effort miles before Dessie take hold. Serious tail wind coming back out along the seafront.

05/12/2015 Rest - no running. Life got in the way and in the window I did have to run I was too lazy to get off me ar$e and out the door.

06/12/2015 Lining up along the same lines as yesterday.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    05/12/2015 Rest - no running. Life got in the way and in the window I did have to run I was too lazy to get off me ar$e and out the door.

06/12/2015 Lining up along the same lines as yesterday.

get off your backside & out the door, its a lovely evening out there

Firedance wrote: »
    get off your backside & out the door, its a lovely evening out there

Too late the slippers are on and the pipe is lit :)

06/12/2015 - 7m @ 08:00 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

Strategy of posting here earlier to guilt myself into running this evening worked a treat and yes, FD, I agree its a lovely evening out there :)

• Advertisement

Strategy of posting here earlier to guilt myself into running this evening worked a treat and yes, FD, I agree its a lovely evening out there :)

whohooo! I'm a motivational genius :D glad you enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Did you run in the slippers?

annapr wrote: »
    Did you run in the slippers?

of course and was blowing smoke out me pipe all the way too :p

of course and was blowing smoke out me pipe all the way too :p

You'll get mistaken for Murph doing that:D

07/12/2015 Rest - 1hr Pilates Class

First half of 2016 is lining up as follows. Target race is Boston and the rest are just to keep things interesting:
    09/01 - Waterford Half (this will give me an indication of where I am. No pressure, just run and Que Sera Sera)
    31/01 - Raheny 5 (Entered)
    06/03 - Ballycotton 10 (Entered)
    18/04 - Boston Marathon (Entered)

Boston is 19 weeks from yesterday so need to nail down a training plan this week. Current thinking is 5 weeks of base building bringing the mileage back up to a steady 50 miles per week and then go with the P&D 55-70 12 Week program with 2 JIC weeks built in. The plan will be to train for sub 3 and reassess as I go if needed.....Here we go again :)

As always any constructive comments or views are very welcome...........feel free to express non-constructive comments or views too but I might just ignore them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I better get my skates on, and register also...

What time you hoping for in Raheny ???

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I better get my skates on, and register also...

What time you hoping for in Raheny ???

Managed 29:59 last year so would be nice to nip under that but won't be doing any specific work for it so will just see how it goes on the day.

Best of luck with it M, fingers and toes crossed for you again.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it M, fingers and toes crossed for you again.

Cheers B.

• Advertisement

31/01 - Raheny 5 (not yet entered)

Pretty similar to my plans so :).
    I've edited the post to reflect my current situation. Two most difficult ones are sorted though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best of luck, not that u need luck as all the bases are covered��

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Pretty similar to my plans so :).
    I've edited the post to reflect my current situation. Two most difficult ones are sorted though ;)

Now we just have to do a bit of training to avoid wasting the entry fees :)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best of luck, not that u need luck as all the bases are covered��

Cheers G. A bit of luck is always the hardest base to cover ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Just as a matter of interest, why would not just do the 18 week plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

07/12/2015 Rest - 1hr Pilates Class

First half of 2016 is lining up as follows. Target race is Boston and the rest are just to keep things interesting:
    09/01 - Waterford Half (this will give me an indication of where I am. No pressure, just run and Que Sera Sera)

Boston is 19 weeks from yesterday so need to nail down a training plan this week. Current thinking is 5 weeks of base building bringing the mileage back up to a steady 50 miles per week and then go with the P&D 55-70 12 Week program with 2 JIC weeks built in. The plan will be to train for sub 3 and reassess as I go if needed.....Here we go again :)

As always any constructive comments or views are very welcome...........feel free to express non-constructive comments or views too but I might just ignore them :D

Just a few thoughts on the plan to be a general pain in the ass as I think a lot of people make mistakes with the methodology behind base training and periodisation. A big goal of base training is to get in a lot of volume before you tackle a specific phase plan. This base phase is all about building the aerobic engine to handle the higher intensity down the road so you can recover better from those workouts. I see in a ton of plans where the volume built in base training is lower than the first week of specific training like you have there topping out at 50mpw before jumping into a 55-70mpw specific plan which really isn't optimal as it means you will be building the mileage and intensity at the same time which is really hard on the body in terms of stress and ability to recover.

In an ideal world, peak mileage in the specific phase should never be more than the volume run in peak base phase. Ideally for a plan peaking out at 70mpw, you should have run at least 70mpw in the base phase. The volume you run for the first few weeks of the 12 week plan should be considerably lower than that at which you ran in the weeks before of base as your body has to adapt to the stress of adding intensity, otherwise you are adding both volume and intensity at the same time which lowers your ability to both soak up and recover from the training which means you will be more fooked and not as fit as you could be come the last few weeks because you will not have built up the aerobic capacity to handle those heavy last few weeks. All the above would be an ideal way of going about training so take from it what you will but I thought I'd share some thoughts.

Just my 2cents! Best o luck with the training!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck Mark, gonna plump for the 18-week P&D 55 myself so hopefully we can get together for one or two recovery runs during the cycle. Hoping to do Raheny and Ballycotton too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Just a few thoughts on the plan to be a general pain in the ass as I think a lot of people make mistakes with the methodology behind base training and periodisation. A big goal of base training is to get in a lot of volume before you tackle a specific phase plan. This base phase is all about building the aerobic engine to handle the higher intensity down the road so you can recover better from those workouts. I see in a ton of plans where the volume built in base training is lower than the first week of specific training like you have there topping out at 50mpw before jumping into a 55-70mpw specific plan which really isn't optimal as it means you will be building the mileage and intensity at the same time which is really hard on the body in terms of stress and ability to recover.

In an ideal world, peak mileage in the specific phase should never be more than the volume run in peak base phase. Ideally for a plan peaking out at 70mpw, you should have run at least 70mpw in the base phase. The volume you run for the first few weeks of the 12 week plan should be considerably lower than that at which you ran in the weeks before of base as your body has to adapt to the stress of adding intensity, otherwise you are adding both volume and intensity at the same time which lowers your ability to both soak up and recover from the training which means you will be more fooked and not as fit as you could be come the last few weeks because you will not have built up the aerobic capacity to handle those heavy last few weeks. All the above would be an ideal way of going about training so take from it what you will but I thought I'd share some thoughts.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in too. If you're only doing easy miles then I'd agree that to hold the workload you'd probably need to be near hitting the peak mileage for the plan before you started it but when you're building a base you should be including tempo, marathon pace and often speedwork as well which tergat addressed very well here. P&D only has strides for speed but otherwise the the first 10 or 11 weeks is classic base building.

If you think about it 18 weeks of specific training is an awful lot for a well trained runner. I'd be looking at somewhere between 8 and 12 with the period before that being base building with a focus on addressing the relative weakness of the runner.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind if I jump in too. If you're only doing easy miles then I'd agree that to hold the workload you'd probably need to be near hitting the peak mileage for the plan before you started it but when you're building a base you should be including tempo, marathon pace and often speedwork as well which tergat addressed very well here. P&D only has strides for speed but otherwise the the first 10 or 11 weeks is classic base building.

If you think about it 18 weeks of specific training is an awful lot for a well trained runner. I'd be looking at somewhere between 8 and 12 with the period before that being base building with a focus on addressing the relative weakness of the runner.

Definetely, I agree that base training is about speed/endurance(I posted that in that very thread) imo which should be individualised to suit a certain runner and there should be MP, tempos and speed development in that phase, I also agree that 8-12 weeks (probably closer to 8 in most) is as long as a specific phase should be but base building is about building volume to handle specific marathon training and altough both phases hold similar pace sessions, what seperates them is modulation and intensity, It doesn't make the plan 18 weeks of specific training if you use those paces in base training. The workload is more evenly spread and low intensity in base building but in the specific phase, the hard days are big volume days with the focus being on recovery in between. Base building is about refreshing the body (yes you will feel tired but you don't hit anywhere near the red) whereas you get a lot closer in the specific phase.

Take magness 5k plan, during base training, volume is close to a 100mpw but drops off as soon as the competition phase starts because adding both volume(or remaining at) and intensity is not the right way to go, you need to let your body adapt to the new stimulus when adding intensity so volume has to be chopped at first before it can be built up again. Stress and recovery, you need the aerobic capacity to handle intensity or you'll fry yourself and not soak it up.

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, why would not just do the 18 week plan?

I think the discussion below and my response when I compose it will answer this question........but basically if I jump in now to full 18 week P&D plan I am coming off to low a base and as NE says will be fooked by the time I get to the race prep stage.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Best of luck Mark, gonna plump for the 18-week P&D 55 myself so hopefully we can get together for one or two recovery runs during the cycle. Hoping to do Raheny and Ballycotton too.

Excellent D. Best of luck yourself. I have the book if you need it. We will definitely get a few runs in over the cycle.

Definetely, I agree that base training is about speed/endurance(I posted that in that very thread) imo which should be individualised to suit a certain runner and there should be MP, tempos and speed development in that phase, I also agree that 8-12 weeks (probably closer to 8 in most) is as long as a specific phase should be but base building is about building volume to handle specific marathon training and altough both phases hold similar pace sessions, what seperates them is modulation and intensity, It doesn't make the plan 18 weeks of specific training if you use those paces in base training. The workload is more evenly spread in base building but in the specific phase, the hard days are big volume days with the focus being on recovery in between. Base building is about refreshing the body (yes you will feel tired but you don't hit anywhere near the red) whereas you get a lot closer in the specific phase.

Take magness 5k plan, during base training, volume is close to a 100mpw but drops off as soon as the competition phase starts because adding both volume(or remaining at) and intensity is not the right way to go, you need to let your body adapt to the new stimulus when adding intensity so volume has to be chopped at first before it can be built up again. Stress and recovery, you need the aerobic capacity to handle intensity or you'll fry yourself and not soak it up.

Thanks for the input Gents. Much appreciated and has provided plenty of food for thought.

My thinking in relation to going with the 12 week plan instead of the 18 week was to try to ensure that I build back up to a good base before entering the specific phases. I would also tend to agree with you both that 18 weeks is probably unnecessary if you are running with enough consistency and are doing enough quality work on an ongoing basis.

The plan would be over the next month/6 weeks that I would build back up to 50/60 mpw which is pretty much what I was doing for the last two years until I got injured in Aug/Sept. These weeks will incorporate two sessions per week and a long run along the lines of the ones I used early in the year when following the "Continuity Training Thread".

As you know the first 4 week of P&D is endurance based then it adds some LT worked with the final phase bring in the VOMax stuff. During these phases I will review progress as I go and take the point well made about volume and intensity into consideration to trim where necessary. Indeed before I start the P&D plan at all I will review my progress over the next few weeks and decided whether I would get more benefit from tweaking the specifics to take into account area of concern.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input Gents. Much appreciated and has provided plenty of food for thought.

My thinking in relation to going with the 12 week plan instead of the 18 week was to try to ensure that I build back up to a good base before entering the specific phases. I would also tend to agree with you both that 18 weeks is probably unnecessary if you are running with enough consistency and are doing enough quality work on an ongoing basis.

The plan would be over the next month/6 weeks that I would build back up to 50/60 mpw which is pretty much what I was doing for the last two years until I got injured in Aug/Sept. These weeks will incorporate two sessions per week and a long run along the lines of the ones I used early in the year when following the "Continuity Training Thread".

As you know the first 4 week of P&D is endurance based then it adds some LT worked with the final phase bring in the VOMax stuff. During these phases I will review progress as I go and take the point well made about volume and intensity into consideration to trim where necessary. Indeed before I start the P&D plan at all I will review my progress over the next few weeks and decided whether I would get more benefit from tweaking the specifics to take into account area of concern.

Cheers.

I probably shouldn't have jumped in as I was making more a general point that base building includes a variety of paces and that P&D is essentially base building with a bit of VO2 max work at the end i.e. it's not very marathon specific. I think that P&D is fantastic for the vast majority of recreational runner but if you're heading towards the upper limit of your ability then a more marathon specific plan will help get you the last few minutes of improvement.

I've been reading your log for a couple of months but I wouldn't say that I know your training and your background well enough to comment on how appropriate your plan is really. Krusty had a really good post a year or two ago about the merits of the various different marathon plans that are out there and when to move on from one to the next. IIRC he suggested Daniels after P&D. It's a bit more marathon specific but a lot less prescriptive than P&D. There's no actual need to go there but it can be nice to try a different approach sometimes.

I probably shouldn't have jumped in as I was making more a general point that base building includes a variety of paces and that P&D is essentially base building with a bit of VO2 max work at the end i.e. it's not very marathon specific. I think that P&D is fantastic for the vast majority of recreational runner but if you're heading towards the upper limit of your ability then a more marathon specific plan will help get you the last few minutes of improvement.

I've been reading your log for a couple of months but I wouldn't say that I know your training and your background well enough to comment on how appropriate your plan is really. Krusty had a really good post a year or two ago about the merits of the various different marathon plans that are out there and when to move on from one to the next. IIRC he suggested Daniels after P&D. It's a bit more marathon specific but a lot less prescriptive than P&D. There's no actual need to go there but it can be nice to try a different approach sometimes.

Jump in anytime. All input very welcome. I was a late comer to this running lark so am learning as I go. No running background before 2011. I ended up on the P&D road in 2013 when I need to step up from using the FIRST programme. Have been using different versions of P&D since then.

I will have a look for that needle in the haystack that is KC's Training Log. I will probably find a few other very useful pieces of information while I am there as you always do. I have the Daniels Book for over a year now but haven't yet read it so maybe that should form part of my base building over the next month or so.

Cheers

Jump in anytime. All input very welcome. I was a late comer to this running lark so am learning as I go. No running background before 2011. I ended up on the P&D road in 2013 when I need to step up from using the FIRST programme. Have been using different versions of P&D since then.

I will have a look for that needle in the haystack that is KC's Training Log. I will probably find a few other very useful pieces of information while I am there as you always do. I have the Daniels Book for over a year now but haven't yet read it so maybe that should form part of my base building over the next month or so.

Cheers

I wouldn't particularly recommend Daniels for base building - more for the specific sections. It's definitely worth a read though. Healthy Intelligent Training is worth reading for ideas on base building.

I wouldn't particularly recommend Daniels for base building - more for the specific sections. It's definitely worth a read though. Healthy Intelligent Training is worth reading for ideas on base building.

"The biggest dream of every ambitious athlete is to win an Olympic Medal. Healthy Intelligent Training is the ultimate training guide for athletes and their coaches on their way to Olympic Gold.
    Athletes and coaches find straightforward answers to all training issues such as training intensity, overtraining and nutrition.

The successful middle distance training program is based on the proven principles of the outstanding coach Arthur Lydiard."

I'll get reading but probably not enough time to make RIO at this stage :D

Yeah, I should probably say that my post was a general comment on periodisation than using a P+D plan as I haven't trained using his plan or read the book(my physio stole it so I haven't had the chance). If I was using Daniels etc. where the intensity is high from early on. I think you need that big base of of miles heading into the specific phase, if it's more geared like a base plan, I agree with you fully above.

09/12/2015 - 7.3m @ 08:17 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

Happy out that I managed to miss the rain for this one. Was expecting to get soaked but not a drop. Very windy out and while the effort was pretty even, the pace for the first 4 miles with the wind was somewhat faster than the 3 miles back against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Interesting discussion on marathon training, I followed up a few p&d cycles with a Daniels cycle for DCM 14. Found the sessions much more intense but enjoyed it too. Apart for the sessions you just filled out the weekly mileage for the rest of the week any way you wanted really.
    Good luck with the training, we'll all have to meet up after Boston for a few Sam Adams!!

neilc wrote: »
    Interesting discussion on marathon training, I followed up a few p&d cycles with a Daniels cycle for DCM 14. Found the sessions much more intense but enjoyed it too. Apart for the sessions you just filled out the weekly mileage for the rest of the week any way you wanted really.
    Good luck with the training, we'll all have to meet up after Boston for a few Sam Adams!!

Cheers Neil. Good luck with the training yourself too. See you in Boston if not before!

10/12/2015 - 11.7m @ 08:03 avg pace (Cruise Interval - 4x10mins RI120)

Chose this as a soft entry back into doing some sessions. The intervals were proceeded by a 3mile wu and followed by a 2mile cd. The intervals themselves should have been run at around MP. I didn't look at the watch and I knew I wasn't pushing the boat out but I thought the effort was reasonable especially for the last 2 into the wind. I was somewhat surprised when I came home and saw the first 3 where at give or take 07:30 avg pace and the last one was at 07:45 avg pace. It is what it is as they say......might have to HTFU next time though:o

You sure TbL wasn't with you slowing you down M?

• Advertisement

Tb....who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You've just gone on my naughty list!

'Twas bad enough yesterday when we were chatting about another Boardsie and you said he was "only an auld lad" despite the fact that I'm giving him a good few years.

Might just have to enter Rotterdam to put some manners in you!

Hope your missus finished off your Pringles before you got back :)

TaulL

You've just gone on my naughty list!

'Twas bad enough yesterday when we were chatting about another Boardsie and you said he was "only an auld lad" despite the fact that I'm giving him a good few years.

Might just have to enter Rotterdam to put some manners in you!

Hope your missus finished off your Pringles before you got back :)

TaulL

Why are you bad mouthing Murph on FBOT's log for, as for what you said about M, something about him having a delusional log name and he won't get within an asses roar of 3hrs in Boston. Sorry you started it, I just said i'd tell everyone the truth!!!!

The above of course is a load of sh!te, we were really talking about FD and aquinn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

tang1 wrote:
    The above of course is a load of sh!te, we were really talking about FD and aquinn!!

Don't be ridiculous, we're fantastic.
    Oh great, TbL gave you my mug? Yahoo. Best!

aquinn wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous, we're fantastic.

Sure what else would we have been saying about ye..........

Sure what else would we have been saying about ye..........

I'm fairly sure I know the answer to that!!!! :D

Poor m doesn't deserve this log hijack

Ps, did you give TBL the pressie you said he was getting :p

12/12/2015 - 10.8m @ 08:19 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

After doing RD duty in St Anne's parkrun I was suitably jealous of all those who got to splash around the park through more water than I have ever seen in St Anne's. Sounded like great fun and everyone seem to thoroughly enjoy their run despite the rain and flood waters.

Eventually got out in the late afternoon for a nice jaunt along the coast with Ferris. Mild afternoon with no rain or flood waters to contend with. Very enjoyable outing.

PS booked the flights to Boston today. Yay!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

12/12/2015 - 10.8m @ 08:19 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

After doing RD duty in St Anne's parkrun I was suitably jealous of all those who got to splash around the park through more water than I have ever seen in St Anne's. Sounded like great fun and everyone seem to thoroughly enjoy their run despite the rain and flood waters.

Eventually got out in the late afternoon for a nice jaunt along the coast with Ferris. Mild afternoon with no rain or flood waters to contend with. Very enjoyable outing.

PS booked the flights to Boston today. Yay!!

Went out for a few miles in the afternoon myself and quickly decided st Anne's wasn't the place to do it.... apart from the main avenue, lots of flooding on the other paths. Hit the coast and back up Vernon ave. Was out from about 3-4pm, not sure if that is late afternoon in your book but may have been in the same vicinity.

Fair play on the RD job today, can't have been pleasant.

Ps nice one on the Boston flights!

Killerz wrote: »
    Went out for a few miles in the afternoon myself and quickly decided st Anne's wasn't the place to do it.... apart from the main avenue, lots of flooding on the other paths. Hit the coast and back up Vernon ave. Was out from about 3-4pm, not sure if that is late afternoon in your book but may have been in the same vicinity.

Fair play on the RD job today, can't have been pleasant.

Ps nice one on the Boston flights!

Yep left the house about 3:30 so must have just missed you.

RD duty was actually very handy today other than the rain as we only had 84 runners and they were all loving life:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

An grand... no sympathy for you then ;)

I'll probably have 300 people next week now for my sins after that comment!

Advertisement