Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

13/12/2015 9.2m @ 08:18 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

Another nice easy enjoyable run on another mild December evening. Ignored the watch and just ran.

First week running 6 days and over 50 miles since the Frank Duffy in August.

14/12/2015 Rest - 1hr Pilates Class

15/12/2015 8.2m @ 07:48 avg pace (General Aerobic w/Fartlek)

Ran the long way over to Yoga. Threw in a 3 mile Fartlek in the middle. Some of the faster sections weren't as fast as they should have been but I am going to blame that on a few stops and start road crossing. Again didn't look at the watch at all during this run. Chose a route that gave me a few short sharp downhill sections to start getting the quads used to moving at speed downhill.

Full on yoga class afterwards. Well it is really more of a yoga/pilates mix class. It involves none of the serious mediation sh!t and plenty of ab work. Tonight's was certainly one of the tougher classes I have done. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

16/12/2015 - 7.7m @ 08:11 avg pace (Genera Aerobic - Easy)

Another nice pleasant stroll around a local loop with Ferris. Passed the ever smiling HelenAnne probably doing the same loop in the opposite direction. Also passed a good crew lining up for the Raheny Winter Series Race. Lovely mild evening for a run. Good clear sky. If I had gotten out earlier I would have been tempted to make the trek to the Summit. City normally looks great from up there on night like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

FBOT01 wrote: »
    16/12/2015 - 7.7m @ 08:11 avg pace (Genera Aerobic - Easy)

Another nice pleasant stroll around a local loop with Ferris. Passed the ever smiling HelenAnne probably doing the same loop in the opposite direction. Also passed a good crew lining up for the Raheny Winter Series Race. Lovely mild evening for a run. Good clear sky. If I had gotten out earlier I would have been tempted to make the trek to the Summit. City normally looks great from up there on night like this.

Don't know why I was smiling - that wind seemed to be in my face in both directions in the sea front! You looked very cheery too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Also passed a good crew lining up for the Raheny Winter Series Race. Lovely mild evening for a run.

A bit better that last weeks 2 miler alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

hope you are in good shape for tomorrow.... watch charged, spare watch for the other arm (BG wants to be doubly sure).... inspirational speeches....

annapr wrote: »
    hope you are in good shape for tomorrow.... watch charged, spare watch for the other arm (BG wants to be doubly sure).... inspirational speeches....

Took me a while but I think I have it right now. How does this sound "Right folks, HTFU!!!"....sleep tight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Took me a while but I think I have it right now. How does this sound "Right folks, HTFU!!!"....sleep tight :)

What happened to singing kumbaya :p

nice work today, however..... very disappointed in the following:

1) you took your santa hat off, I nearly missed ye all the first time round!
    2) no one was singing anything coming down the avenue??? tsk.

Also, as she doesn't have her own log MASSIVE WELL DONE MRS MAC!!! great running today, hope you're celebrating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Cheers M for pacing and talking all way��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Kennyg71 wrote: »

What was he talkin about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That must have been tough, G. Surprised you didn't go ahead and bag a sub-20 :D

Talked me through the hurt of last 1.5 k, seemed wise and comforting at
    The time��, poor M had to listen to my heavy breathing In was hanging on
    That tight��

Happy Christmas, Folks. Have a good one and as always ENJOY!!! :)

No prize for age category, pipped by about 2 places, need to run little harder next time

No prize for age category, pipped by about 2 places, need to run little harder next time

clearly, especially when well able to kick for a sprint finish like that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Yes, you do don't you ;) or even run at all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Didn't quite catch where you are going tomorrow FBOT but......ENJOOOOOOY!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Was he running as a banger?

tang1 wrote: »
    Was he running as a banger?

what's a banger? he was jogging when we saw him 300m from the line :D

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    what's a banger? he was jogging when we saw him 300m from the line :D

Running under an assumed name, couldn't see his name in the results.

Dubgal72 wrote: »

No, he just sort of mumbled it under his breath like he didn't want any of us to know..:rolleyes:

Running under an assumed name, couldn't see his name in the results.

There's a name for that!? Cool.

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Are the Mc's going somewhere tomorrow? ;)

Are the Mc's going somewhere tomorrow? ;)

I didn't hear him either, did he say York? Nice quaint city :p ENJOY!!!!!!

Jaysus G, you will have to run a lot harder next time. You were only 7th in age category and 2 places behind the First Lady home!!

Happy New Year, Folks. May it be full of PB's for you all....ENJOY!!!

Happy New Year, Folks. May it be full of PB's for you all....ENJOY!!!
    Add your reply here.
    Many Happy Returns, Hope all week in
    NY, leg worn from all them shops yet

17/12/2015 - Rest

18/12/2015 - 4.35m @ 09:00 avg pace (AM Recovery) & 6.48m @ 08:19 avg pace (PM General Aerobic - Easy)

19/12/2015 - St Anne's parkrun (pacing 21mins) plus 1m wu

The story of this have been well told at this stage. All went well from my part. We had to slightly slow 4th K but I think if we hadn't have reeled it back and banked on the pacees being able to push a bit down the straight I think we would have lost them all before they even hit the Avenue. In the end we had Kennyg and another non-boards parkrunner in under 21mins with a few of more PBs from the boards crew including a sub 26 from Mrs Mc. Great buzz around and glad to catch up with so many in the cafe afterwards.

20/12/2015 -14.7m @ 08:20 avg pace (General Aerobic - Howth)

Had been itching for a while to get back up Howth and the clear night that was in it made up my mind. Didn't leave the house until 9:45 so it was almost a Dexys. Enjoyable run other than the fact that poor lighting along the coast resulted in me taking a tumble after entangling my feet in the ring from a car hubcap. Saw it when it was too late to prevent a fall but early enough to brace for the impact. Biggest impact was my chest hitting my hand that I had put down to break my fall. Breathing was a struggle for the last 3 mile home.

21/12/2015 5.1m @ 09:12 avg pace (Recovery with Dog)

22/12/2105 7.2m @ 08:00 avg pace (General Aerobic)

23/12/2015 10.3m @ 07:37 avg pace (General Aerobic)

24/12/2015 7.1m @ 08:32 avg pace (General Aerobic)

25/12/2015 Goal "almost" Mile in St Anne's

As has become tradition I do this in the company of my youngest. We were also joined by Ferris and plenty of other boardies and parkrunners. Great atmosphere around despite the horrible conditions. Started off mid pack and took it nice and handy waiting for herself to make her break. True to form after moaning about being wrecked she made her dart for the finish from 150 out when I turned to greet a cousin of mine. I didn't put up much of a fight and ended up having to listen to the story of her 3s victory for a few days afterwards.

26/12/2015 St Anne's parkrun (19:15) w/2m wu

Lined up with Ferris for this one and let him set the pace for the first k and then held it at that pace for the next 3k to keep him honest. Coming down the Avenue I spotted a young guy gaining on us so I flagged it to Ferris. He was happy to let him past but I decided I would make him work for it so as he came along side I upped the pace. I continued to do this until the last 50m when he made his final push and I let him cross the line in front me. I thought I was helping him by pushing him all the way but found afterwards the he had no barcode so should have finished him off :D.

Ferris came in pretty close behind with a comeback PB to close out the year. Was great that the cafe was open so coffee and cakes were available to top off the morning.

27/12/2015 15m @ 07:50 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Another enjoyable run. First 7 along the coast in the company of Ferris before heading inland to pick up a few small hills to vary it up.

28/12/2015 Fat Turkey 10K (42:30) plus 4m wu

Late entry to this and decided to run out to get a decent warm-up in. Loads of folks from around here and from St Anne's parkrun were toeing the line and everyone seemed in great form although the gale blowing out on the route made most a little anxious about what they faced.

Again lined up with Ferris and we took off nice and steady. As we headed up towards the summit our pace got progressively quicker while a lot of other seemed to be flagging on the accent. Past a lot of runners on the way up. As we turned at the top Ferris joked about taking the leash off so I decided to go with the flow, open up the stride a little and see how the legs got on. Gravity worked a treat and I got into a nice groove, picking my next target as went. Just over a mile from home there is a small dip and incline before the final decent and you can see a good 400/600m ahead. I could count 6 runners between me and the next rise so decided to see how many of them I could catch. Although the small group of 4 furthest from me were a tall ask the two singles looked catchable. Caught the first of them coming down by the grave yard and was gaining on the other but running out of road. A timingly shout from Dubgal and Firedance about 400m out made sure I wasn't going to repeat my gracious gestures from Christmas Day and Stephen Day but instead I was going to pass the guy in front of me or die trying. Upped the pace as we hit the path for the final run in and stormed by him with time to spare. Job done and the first time I have felt the racing feeling in a while. The pain of the final push followed by the satisfaction of knowing you put in a good shift.

Splits were : 07:37/07:30/07:21/06:28/06:09/05:39 and pace read 05:06 for the extra 0.3 on the watch.

Loads of happy runners around the clubhouse afterwards with a big crew from here bagging course PBs. Well done to all.

29/12/2015 - Rest

30/12/2015 - 7.3m @ 07:54 avg pace (General Aerobic)

In the US for a few days over New Year and this run was just finding my bearings in Jersey City were we were staying....should have turned right instead of left when I came out of the apartment. Glad it was early morning rather than late night :)

31/12/2015 - 7m @ 08:07 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Turned right this time. Last run of the year and what better place to do it than along the Hudson with the New York Skyline as a back drop. Loved it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I was full sure you had already gone sub 3?!

Gavlor wrote: »

I wish!

Hope Santa brought head light for that night time running, don't want to end up banjacked for nice view. Some nice runs
    In there. And see I knew you where in my head on that 4th k, was nearly ready to jump ship. Nice fast finish to Fat Turkey
    If hadn't of taken your time on down hill
    You could have bagged a prize

Gavlor wrote: »

Ouch

And good luck in Waterford tomorrow if you're still doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ouch

I had a dry needling session on my calf on Tuesday, last Christmas party on Wednesday, 18lbs overweight and now I can't find my race pack :D

I think God is trying to tell me something!!!

• Advertisement

Ouch

and of course ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done this morning M, nice going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done this morning M, nice going.

What did AULDBOT run?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Results??

What did AULDBOT run?

TbL

A lot faster than you'd ever manage!! Results on Total Timing.

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Results??

Total Timing Chief.

Google it! Well done M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

A lot faster than you'd ever manage!! Results on Total Timing.

Tang, for the profession your in you'd want to do a bit more background checking to get your facts straight ;)

Well doe AULDBOT, nicely run.

TbL

Tang, for the profession your in you'd want to do a bit more background checking to get your facts straight ;)

Well doe AULDBOT, nicely run.

TbL

Now if you say your PB is from that short half in Longford you know where you can go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice run, Mark. Plenty of work to be done, mind! :)

Well done M, keeping well on target.

Cheers Folks.

1:26:02. Not unhappy but as Murph says plenty of work to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great running man. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice one M, especially after wearing yourself out on that recent shopping and ice skating trip

01/01/2016 4m @ 09:15 avg pace (Recovery)

Started the year off with a nice gentle recovery run along the Hudson. Watch took longer to wake up than I did.

02/01/2016 10m @ 07:20 avg pace (General Aerobic w/3m @ MP)

Ended up running up into Hoboken for this one. The long straight road in front of me encouraged me to push the pace a little so throw in 3 miles at MP. On the way back I came across Carlos Bakery so there was nothing I could do other than break out the emergency $10 and get myself pastry cream filled éclairs to refuel for the run home. Life little pleasures :)

03/01/2016 5.8m @ 10:40 avg pace (Recovery w/D'Misssus) plus 14.6m @ 07:52 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Mrs Mc was keen to run in Central Park while we were close by so we go out early and headed into the City. After a 1mile warm-up down to the River to take in Sunrise over Manhattan we jumped the train up to Central Park where we joined the hundreds of others running in this famous landmark location.

Later in the day while the rest of the clan were busy doing various tourist things I took the opportunity to don the runners again and run from the World Trade Centre up through Central Park the top of the park and back down via 5th Ave. Had it is my head to do this from early in the week for was glad to get the chance. Super run with a couple of quick miles in the middle to make it to the out of the park before it got to dark as teh word is it is not the place to be after dark :eek:

The run back between 59th St and 33rd St was a bit of a pain due to congestion from both traffic and people. Almost jacked it in and headed for the subway at one stage but was glad I stuck with it.

04/01/2016 3.2m @ 08:40 avg pace (Recovery)

Last run before heading to the airport. This run brought me through Liberty State Park which was just beside where we were staying. Lovely park and would be a great location for a parkrun. Ran down to the entrance to Ellis Island and said Hello and Goodbye to Lady Liberty before hitting the road for home.

05/01/2016 7.2m @ 08:20 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Back to the wet and windy shore of the Emerald Isle. Linked up with Ferris for a few easy miles to help loosen out the legs and fend off jetlag that may have been chasing me.

06/01/2016 - Rest

Hadn't planned a rest day just never got my ass in gear to get out the door.

07/01/2016 5.2m @ 08:07 avg pace (General Aerobic w/4x100m Strides)

Lunchtime run just to keep things ticking over.

08/01/2016 4.5m @ 08:44 avg pace (Recovery w/4x100m strides)

Another lunchtime run. A little shorter and slower than the day before.

09/01/2016 Waterford Half - 1:26:02

Probably a fair result on the day. I never really got into the race, was chicked and buggied along the way but given my soft HM PB still managed to take nearly 3 mins off it. Would like to think that there is another 2/3 mins to be found over this distance with the right training.

Great runs from Ferris and Duanington on a perfect day for running. Well done Gents.

Course had some challenging inclines so its not a place to go if you are looking for an easy day out. However, it was a very well organised event with a huge amount of volunteers very visible and marshalling everything superbly. Great set-up with a goody bag that included a very fetching WAC Woolly Hat and a nice spread afterwards that refuelled and rehydrated us perfectly for the road back to the big smoke!

• Advertisement
Advertisement