Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Nice PB all the same, M. Look forward to seeing the hat being modelled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done on the PB M. very strong running on the day and a good bit more to come this year I would guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the PB M, sense it's a job only half done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Nice run M.
    Who's running 1:25 HM's with a buggy? :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nice run M.
    Who's running 1:25 HM's with a buggy? :O

What's even worse is that he got chicked by a tri-athlete with a buggy......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's even worse is that he got chicked by a tri-athlete with a buggy......

If that was a girl pushing the buggy then she has definitely been working with Salavar on some of those Testosterone experiments :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

FBOT01 wrote: »
    If that was a girl pushing the buggy then she has definitely been working with Salavar on some of those Testosterone experiments :P

All tri guys are pussys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on PB M. And only in cruise mode, sounds like big things to come, well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nice to get a PB in the bag early on, well done! More to come off that by the sounds of things. Hope that poor child in the buggy slept the whole way through. Can you imagine the boredom of looking at nothing but pairs of hairy legs for 90 minutes ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

well done! great running in NYC too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I see you bagged a New York qualifier time there too. Nice! (My earlier comment looks a bit curmudgeonly.)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hope that poor child in the buggy slept the whole way through. Can you imagine the boredom of looking at nothing but pairs of hairy legs for 90 minutes ?

I'm the sure the women surrounding FBOT and the buggy had shaved their legs so not such an awful view ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Firedance wrote: »
    I'm the sure the women surrounding FBOT and the buggy had shaved their legs so not such an awful view ;)

But, it's Winter, what?

Well done Mark, not bad going like :D

aquinn wrote: »
    But, it's Winter, what?

rather than assuming he was only surrounded by men at the level he was at I was just 'highlighting' that fact that I'm sure there were women in the mix too although a quick look at the results shows that while there were a few in front of him* there were none around him...

*yeah yeah, they were the top finishers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Murph_D wrote: »
    I see you bagged a New York qualifier time there too. Nice! (My earlier comment looks a bit curmudgeonly.)

Don't be giving him ideas !!! It all finishes after sub 3 didn't you know !!!

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »

I don't know, seems like he's been checking out parts of the course already (and so were you). ;)

Add your reply here.
    It certainly all finishes with that target, then onto next.

dintbo wrote: »
    Great running man. Well done.

Cheers. You had a good day at the office yourself I see. Well done.
    Killerz wrote: »
    Nice one M, especially after wearing yourself out on that recent shopping and ice skating trip

Thanks J. While I did partake in a little shopping I skipped the ice skating. Not because of the injury risk as stated by some around these parts but instead because it was a little crowded for a figure skater like me to get the room required to express myself. Not to mention the fact that I forgot my sequenced tutu :cool:
    annapr wrote: »
    Nice PB all the same, M. Look forward to seeing the hat being modelled :)

Cheers Anna. With the drop in temperature this week it looks like it will be put to immediate use.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Well done on the PB M. very strong running on the day and a good bit more to come this year I would guess

Thanks D. I think most of the strong running was done by others on Saturday. A good bit more to come this year I would hope :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB M, sense it's a job only half done.

Cheers B. Hit the nail square on the head as usual :pac:
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nice run M.

Thanks P. There are some great session that you are banging out at the moment....don't forget to save something for April;)
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done on PB M. And only in cruise mode, sounds like big things to come, well done again.

Thanks G. I was more stuck in cruise mode than there by choice I am afraid.
    Nice to get a PB in the bag early on, well done! More to come off that by the sounds of things. Hope that poor child in the buggy slept the whole way through. Can you imagine the boredom of looking at nothing but pairs of hairy legs for 90 minutes ?

Cheers G. The poor child wasn't complaining anyway. He was facing forward so had plenty to look at as his Da cut through the field.
    well done! great running in NYC too :)

Thanks AM. I see you got a bit of US running done yourself over the New Year. Glad to hear your brother is on the mend.

I am finished in NY for 2016 but never say never. I will keep buying the lotto tickets. Your earlier comment looked pretty spot on to me. Didn't see a hint of "Grumpy Old Man" syndrome in it myself but maybe that just because I suffer from it regularly so could be immune to it :P
    Well done Mark, not bad going like :D

Thanks A
    rather than assuming he was only surrounded by men at the level he was at I was just 'highlighting' that fact that I'm sure there were women in the mix too although a quick look at the results shows that while there were a few in front of him* there were none around him...

*yeah yeah, they were the top finishers :D

Apparently, my VO2 Max puts me in the category of Elite Women Runners so I think I was pretty well placed in my category.

As one door closes another always open but to what or where we will have to wait and see.............:D

10/01/2016 - Rest

13 weeks to Boston race week so 14 week to DDay. This was the first day of the P&D 55-70 12 Week Plan. This is the plan I will be following with 2 buffer weeks, one for Raheny and the other for Ballycotton. I plan is to keep up the Pilates and Yoga right through this cycle and also to try to fit in some aqua-running and corework. All going well I should also be toeing the line somewhat lighter than I am today as well.

11/01/2016 8.4m @ 08:01 avg pace (GA w/10x100m Strides) plus 1hr Pilates Class

No fallout from Saturday's Half so we all know what that means don't we!! This was a straight forward easy run on a pleasant enough crisp evening. Did the strides along the N32 between Baldoyle and Clarehall using the lampposts as markers. The strides were all about effort and form and concentrated hard to get both right.

Pilates class was tough enough as it was my first one back. Feet, calves and hips all cramped at different stages during the class.

First chocolate free day in a long time but having got through Monday in me Ma's with no Chocolate the rest of the week should be a stroll in the park :)

You're doing Ballycotton again? Cool, see you there. We're probably travelling so the boys could well be giving everyone a good bollicking like in St. Anne's at the weekend.

Oh, and I was talking about NY 2017! Your time should still be good, plenty of time to win the lotto. Mind you, you'll be improving your chances even more in Boston. :D

Best of luck with the 12-week plan. It looks pretty tasty!

• Advertisement

You're doing Ballycotton again? Cool, see you there. We're probably travelling so the boys could well be giving everyone a good bollicking like in St. Anne's at the weekend.

Oh, and I was talking about NY 2017! Your time should still be good, plenty of time to win the lotto. Mind you, you'll be improving your chances even more in Boston. :D

Best of luck with the 12-week plan. It looks pretty tasty!

Yep heading to Ballycotton on mass again this year. I give the boys full permission to give me as much abuse as they think I need to get me over the line.

Plenty of good sessions in P&D I just have to knuckle down and do them and make sure I get the recoveries right to keep the body going to the end. Cheers.

Yep heading to Ballycotton on mass again this year. I give the boys full permission to give me as much abuse as they think I need to get me over the line.

Plenty of good sessions in P&D I just have to knuckle down and do them and make sure I get the recoveries right to keep the body going to the end. Cheers.

The boys want to know will you be running AND in charge again? They were well impressed by your clipboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

While I did partake in a little shopping..........:D

A little ????? Who's bag was actually the heaviest coming home ?

12/01/2016 11m @ 08:03 avg pace (MLR) plus 90mins Yoga

Ran long way over to yoga to get the miles in. Plotted a route that involved plenty of ups and downs and just tried to keep effort consistent. Quads felt a bit tight at times but no real problems. Felt quite tried during the yoga/pilates class and ended up grabbing a power nap during the relaxation stuff at the end of class. Well sleeping counts as relaxing doesn't it :D

13/01/2016 5m @ 09:10 avg pace (Recovery - Grass)

Nice easy recovery run along the grass on the seafront from Bull Wall to Alfie Byrne and back. The high tide made the sea look surprisingly inviting despite the low temperature and the cold breeze blowing from town. Pity I forgot the smugglers!!

Is that a hint, you may head to the dark side after you go sub3.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Is that a hint, you may head to the dark side after you go sub3.

No way any of those pussy's would have gotten into the bay today in smugglers. They'd be off getting fitted for drysuits so they could keep their compression thermal lycra gear warm and dry :D

No way any of those pussy's would have gotten into the bay today in smugglers. They'd be off getting fitted for drysuits so they could keep their compression thermal lycra gear warm and dry :D

Damn right too. When was the last time you swam in the bay? As a frequent and unfortunate side effect of sailing let me tell you it isn't pleasant!

Damn right too. When was the last time you swam in the bay? As a frequent and unfortunate side effect of sailing let me tell you it isn't pleasant!

Haven't been in this winter yet but it supposed to be great recovery so I won't rule it out over the next 13 weeks or so ;)

14/01/2016 11m @ 08:19 avg pace (MLR)

I had hoped that getting out of my cosy warm bed for this one was going to be the hardest part but unfortunately I was wrong. This was a real slog and the icey paths didn't make it any easier. Might have to rethink my strategy of Thursday morning early runs if these are the type of conditions that we are in for. No way I could LT run on that stuff.

• Advertisement

15/01/2016 5m @ 08:39 avg pace (Recovery)

Lunchtime stroll up and back to St Anne's for a Freedom run on the parkrun course.

16/01/2016 15.4m @ 07:21 avg pace (MPR w/8m @ MP)

Original plan was to do this early morning and finish last 3 MP miles with St Anne's parkrun. However, given the potentially for icey conditions to mess up the pacing I decided to take an extra hour in bed and do this in the afternoon. Instead I volunteered at a record breaking parkrun in St Anne's with 469 finishers thanks to a boost from OT and the Lord Mayors 5 Alive Series participants. Plenty of boardies around too. Great morning and a real buzz about the place. Finished up with coffee and chat in cafe as usual.

Headed out in early afternoon to get my run in. Double layered which was entirely unnecessary so was a little overheated at times during the run. Choose a route that would give me some uphills and downhills as Boston is going to supply both. I have been guilty in the past of being a slave to the watch so the plan was to run a feel with reference to the watch only when it lapped just to check pace. I knew first few miles were a little quick but felt fine so went with it. After 6 miles I kicked off the MP miles.

First MP mile was downhill so I consciously tried to keep from upping too much to avoid wasting too much energy too soon. Made a balls of it and this split was slowest of the MP miles. Next 3 MP miles were pretty much all uphill and I am happy with the effort levels. Last 4 MP miles were a mixture of downhill and flat with very little uphill involved. Felt quite queasy for some reason during MP miles 5 and 6 but stomach settled by MP mile 7 which was the best mile of the day in terms of rhythm and stride. I was cruising very nicely and ended up checking myself towards the end of it as the pace felt like it was quickening. Finished off MP miles down Watermill Road and back onto the coast. 1.4 miles easy back to the house. These last miles felt very slow indeed but in fact were sub 8 mins pace. Funny how the mind plays tricks after hammering out a few quick miles.

MP Mile Splits were : 07:11/07:08/07:00/06:46/06:59/06:47/06:44/06:45
    Avg Pace for MP Miles 06:56

Quads felt tight during the last few MP miles. Nothing that would slow me down but just tight enough to warrant noting at this stage. Felt rotten after having a bite to eat and ended up grabbing a power nap to aid recovery. Seemed to do the trick.

Watched "The Revenant" later in the evening.......2:30hrs of my life that I will never get back :(

17/01/2016 Rest

Nothing like a rest day to start a new training week.

Watched "The Revenant" later in the evening.......2:30hrs of my life that I will never get back :(

Alternating between gruesome and boring. Hated it, but nodded off for a few minutes so it wasn't entirely a waste of time.

Oh and nice run.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Alternating between gruesome and boring. Hated it, but nodded off for a few minutes so it wasn't entirely a waste of time.

Oh and nice run.

It sent me off to sleep too. Nice scene with Leo and the bear though.

Ferris B wrote: »
    It sent me off to sleep too. Nice scene with Leo and the bear though.

I thought the bear was over acting to be honest:pac:

I might well go to see this film but my expectations have certainly been dramatically lowered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Only catching up what's the target in 13?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Assuming I can get to the start line in one piece sub 3 will be the target.

• Advertisement

Assuming I can get to the start line in one piece sub 3 will be the target.

Where?

Where?

Boston!

By 13 do we mean 16? Or is this advanced runner lingo that I don't understand?

Glad I wasn't the only one so who hadn't a clue what the question meant.

T-13

Duh... Tang, it was us being slow (not just at running)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Nice session. Picked up one of those mini rollers on wheels yesterday. Thanks for the tip.

FYI all my training posts last week had a heading tag of T-13 with T being Race Week as per P&D plans. If you were reading boards on a full web browser you could see these headers but if you were reading on a mobile browser then they wouldn't have shown up. Obviously BB could see the headers and hence his reference to 13. I assume you were both viewing using a phone so you would not have seen the headers so hence your confusion.......clear as mud now I hope;)

Anna just counting the days to her holidays in Boston with Mrs Mc.

FYI all my training posts last week had a heading tag of T-13 with T being Race Week as per P&D plans. If you were reading boards on a full web browser you could see these headers but if you were reading on a mobile browser then they wouldn't have shown up. Obviously BB could see the headers and hence his reference to 13. I assume you were both viewing using a phone so you would not have seen the headers so hence your confusion.......clear as mud now I hope;)

I still didn't understand but didn't want to ask again, get it now. Stupid phones.

I still didn't understand but didn't want to ask again, get it now. Stupid phones.

ha ha me too!! although I look on both phone & browser so not sure what excuse you can come up with for that M.... :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement