Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Firedance wrote: »
    ha ha me too!! although I look on both phone & browser so not sure what excuse you can come up with for that M.... :pac:

Simple AM, you were distracted by those books that tang gave you, wondering why they were mostly pictures, how they related to running faster and "my god, is TbL really that flexible" :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Simple AM, you were distracted by those books that tang gave you, wondering why they were mostly pictures, how they related to running faster and "my god, is TbL really that flexible" :eek::D

For once I have no words!! But let it be known I have no pictures of TbL flexing anything, as much as he's tried to give me some!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

:D:D:D:D:D

tang1 wrote: »
    For once I have no words!! But let it be known I have no pictures of TbL flexing anything, as much as he's tried to give me some!!

you're absolutely right, keep no evidence as it could be used against you at any time :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

aquinn wrote: »
    Anna just counting the days to her holidays in Boston with Mrs Mc.

Woh woh can't wait love supporting duty :)

19/01/2016 12m @ 08:07 avg pace (MLR - Easy) plus 1hr Pilates Class

I have been guilty in the past of pushing from week 1 on any plan and this may have contributed to some of the injuries that I have had to deal with. In previous cycles all my MLRs would have been done as structured progression runs broken into 3 section of MP+20%/MP+15%/MP+10% and I would ensure that I hit these pace by monitoring the watch throughout. This time around I am doing these for the first few weeks at least based on feel which a lot less reference to the watch.

Headed out with no route in mind and the watch didn't get a signal so I just ran making it up as I went along and estimating distance based on landmark points. Hit the coast out to Howth and went up past the golf club before turned right down what I think is probably the section referred to by Raheny Runners as the corkscrew. It is a steeper decent than back down by the cemetery and is an ideal section for working the quads for downhill running. Wouldn't like to try this section on a frosty morning. I will certainly be returning to this route over the next few weeks as I could feel the burn in the quads straight away. On the way back in I went up the Howth Road rather than the back along the coast to keep with the theme of bringing in plenty of ups and downs during these midweek runs.

Pilates class later in the evening involved quite a bit of leg work including some kettle bell work. Hamstrings and quads again working hard. Finish the day with a some foam rolling to pre-empt the potential for pain today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good point about the corkscrew. Not my favourite stretch but probably a good Boston tester (if a bit extreme). Worth working in to the odd run I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Where exactly is the corkscrew ? Sounds perfect for hill sprints :D

I understand it as St. Fintans Road between Strand Rd and Carrickbrack Rd. Pretty steep alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Where exactly is the corkscrew ? Sounds perfect for hill sprints :D

Sprint Corkscrew... I don't think so :):)

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    I understand it as St. Fintans Road between Strand Rd and Carrickbrack Rd. Pretty steep alright.

Top of the class as usual, D :cool:

19/01/2015 11m @ 08:13 avg pace (MLR) plus 90mins Yoga Class

19th was not a big double day I just got the date wrong on the last post which should have been 18/01/2015.

This was the same route as last week over to yoga. Bumpy route up and down between Collins Ave and Griffith Ave finished up at Yoga Class. This was a little slower than last week for the most part. Legs were still feeling the effects of the kettle bell session and I think I may have nodded off during mile 4 :)

Another decent Yoga class to finish out the day.

20/01/2015 5m @ 09:26 avg pace (Recovery)

Had to pass on the offer of a mid morning tickle from the Bogger as I was washing my hair. I don't think his disappointment lingered too long as he managed to get the toy-boy out to play in the park which would have provided a much better workout than anything he'd have gotten from me :o

Instead I did 4 nice gentle recovery run miles in the company of my youngest. Legs appreciated the slower pace and the mind appreciated the distraction of company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Had to pass on the offer of a mid morning tickle from the Bogger as I was washing my hair. I don't think his disappointment lingered too long as he managed to get the toy-boy out to play in the park which would have provided a much better workout than anything he'd have gotten from me :o

What in Gods name are you talking about think you should posting on a different log and not one to do with running you'll have to explain !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mrs Mc wrote:
    What in Gods name are you talking about think you should posting on a different log and not one to do with running you'll have to explain !!!!

Oops, you haven't told Mrs Mc of bogger encounters?

Mrs Mc wrote: »

1800 TBL ...

21/01/2015 9m @ 07:41 avg pace (LT w/4m @ 10MP/HMP)

The hard days should be hard was the motto for today. Chose the flat route out along the coast towards Sutton for the LT section of this run and had a new pairs of runners to break in so that was two excuses gone straight away.

Legs and calves in particular were feeling quite fatigued during the warm-up miles (probably need to reduce the coffee and up the water intake) but with a recovery day yesterday and another one tomorrow this was supposed to be a hard day so I wasn't letting myself off lightly.

The wind slightly favoured me for the first two miles so on this out and back route it was going to hinder me on the way back. Based on Waterford my HMP is 06:36 but I knew that was too soft for a session like this. My 10mile pace is 06:08 based on the Frank Duffy last Aug but I reckoned that may be a little hot. The thinking was that somewhere in between maybe 06:20 would provide a good hard effort workout. Key point being that it should be a hard effort. From the off I was also focused on form. I was keen to work all the right muscles rather than shortening the stride and pulling through the hips which may have helped to achieve the pace but would also enhance the chances of aggravating of previous hip problems. Only checked watch at end of each mile and otherwise just tried hold form and effort.

Anyway long story short.......all went to plan. Worked hard and held form. This was confirmed in the cool down when I could feel the effect of the effort in the abdomen where my six-pack should be rather than in my hips. Happy with the way things went. Splits for the LT miles were 06:15/06:10/06:13/06:18

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

19/01/2016 12m @ 08:07 avg pace (MLR - Easy) plus 1hr Pilates Class

I have been guilty in the past of pushing from week 1 on any plan and this may have contributed to some of the injuries that I have had to deal with.
    21/01/2015 9m @ 07:41 avg pace (LT w/4m @ 10MP/HMP)

The hard days should be hard was the motto for today.

Splits for the LT miles were 06:15/06:10/06:13/06:18

Hmmm. A tad pacey perhaps, so early in the programme.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Hmmm. A tad pacey perhaps, so early in the programme.

Not so sure........difference is that it is the only run I pushed this week. On previous cycles I would have run the MLRs as structured progression runs and pushed the LT with the watch driving my effort irrespective of form rather than the other way around.

The pace might look a tad pacey but the form was good throughout. I worked hard on the last mile not to abandon form for the sake of holding a sub 06:15 avg which I could have done (and on previous occasion probably would have done) with no additional benefits.

Take your point though and will remain conscious of this over the coming weeks.

22/01/2016 5m @09:03 avg pace (Recovery)

Another pleasant early evening recovery run in the company of my youngest.

23/01/2016 parkrun St Anne's (21:16) plus 1m WU @ 08:29 avg pace and 16m LR @ 08:14 avg pace (Easy including Hill of Howth)

Late night Friday resulted in me canning the early morning long run so headed up to parkrun with a half hearted idea to head straight on from parkrun to do the planned 17m. Bumped into Yaboya as I finished so decided that coffee and chat would be preferable to another 13 miles at that stage.

After a bit of course training on the golf course in the afternoon I headed out for a few more miles in the evening. Decided that 15 would do and would head toward the summit to get a bit of hill work along the way. No pressure on pace and just plodded along ignoring the watch. Knew it was a bit slow but happy to have gotten out the door so wasn't going to give myself too much grief. Went all the way to Summit carpark and then took a couple of steeper options on way back down to keep working on downhill technique and on quad strength. As I near home it looked like I would finish out with 15.5m but then I remember that P&D LRs classification only starts at 16m so stuck an extra 0.5m on the end to log my first LR of the plan :)

Not a bad week all in all. First 60+ mile week since before hip/back issue. Body knows it is back in marathon training and is giving out a little but not too much just yet.

• Advertisement

24/01/2016 Rest day

Probably should be classed as cross training day as I spent another couple of hours carrying me bag around the golf course and several hours doing manual labour in my brother's place.

25/01/2016 10m @ 08:06 avg pace (GA w/12x1min @ 10k pace RI60)

This is planned buffer week in the marathon cycle to allow for Raheny 5 on Sunday. Today was just a little sharpener to get the lungs and legs used to a little bit of faster stuff. Did the intervals out along the coast between the Causeway and Sutton. Again focused on form and effort with no reference to the watch. Happy when I reviewed it afterwards to see the pace for the reps was sub 6. Rest of the week is all about easy running with a few strides thrown in.

26/01/2015 5m @ 09:00 avg pace (Recovery) plus 90mins Yoga/Pilates Class

Nice easy recovery run over to Yoga/Pilates Class. Great class with main focus on working out the hips...........just what the doctor ordered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

26/01/2015 5m @ 09:00 avg pace (Recovery) plus 90mins Yoga/Pilates Class

Nice easy recovery run over to Yoga/Pilates Class. Great class with main focus on working out the hips...........just what the doctor ordered :)

My sources tell me you're becoming one of the teachers best pupils. Gold star in your copy book.

Hard work is paying off.

...but can your yogi fix your golf swing?

Ferris B wrote: »
    My sources tell me you're becoming one of the teachers best pupils. Gold star in your copy book.

Hard work is paying off.

...but can your yogi fix your golf swing?

If it could I presume you would be signing up immediately :P

27/01/2016 9m @ 08:53 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy w/4 Recovery with Daughter)

Early morning sports massage this morning gave the legs a good flush out. Calves were very tight but hamstrings and quads were surprisingly less so. As usual right side was a little tighter than the left.

Given the yoga class last night and the massage the morning I was happy to keep the pace very easy this evening. I was joined again for the first 4 miles by my youngest so did them at recovery pace then picked it up to a very easy GA pace for the next 5.

28/01/2016 4.88m @ 08:26 avg pace (Recovery w/5x100m Strides)

Grand evening for it. It is all about rest and recovery for me this late in race week. I will leave the tough stuff to the youngfellas like Yaboya and Duanington. Looking forward to seeing how their smackdown pans out on Sunday :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Jaysis between yourself & P I'd say there isn't a grain of sand left in Dollymount!!!

Jaysis between yourself & P I'd say there isn't a grain of sand left in Dollymount!!!

:D:D:D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Master and apprentice stuff Tang, not sure who is who at this stage though

Good luck tomorrow M, hope it goes well.

best of luck tomorrow M, don't let us catch you napping on the finish straight this time ok?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Oh and... ENJOY!!!!

All the best, M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Kick ass and best of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

All best today

Well done M, put one of the youngsters in your pocket, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

And was relaxed enough to wave to the gallery! Well done M!

annapr wrote: »

Yeah seen a photo of him in D's album on the race thread, half asleep he looks!!

Yeah seen a photo of him in D's album on the race thread, half asleep he looks!!

FAR too much left in the tank M :p well done on the smackdown place, tough enough run for many by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done again today M, the comeback is over now though - time to empty the sand out from those pockets!

Cheers B. Can't take all the credit, he was happy to jump in on this occasion:)
    annapr wrote: »

I was far from relaxed and if I did wave it was an involuntary response to the noise levels.......thanks for the shout out. Much appreciated and well timed. I find a kick in the a$$ some loud encouragement inside the final 400 always helps me with the adrenaline needed for the final push.

Asleep sure aren't there veins popping out of me head in the one 200m from home :p
    Firedance wrote: »
    FAR too much left in the tank M :p well done on the smackdown place, tough enough run for many by all accounts

Cheers AM. Thanks for the shout out. Tank pretty empty when I crossed the line.

FYI I was never part of any smackdown. Having seen D's form up close and personal in Waterford I was definitely leaving that between them.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Well done again today M, the comeback is over now though - time to empty the sand out from those pockets!

Cheers D. Come back will be over on the afternoon of April 18th when I cross the finish line in Boston. Until then it's a work in progress that will hopefully continue to make good progress :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great run M, and thanks for the shout out of support ;)

Killerz wrote: »
    Great run M, and thanks for the shout out of support ;)

No problem. Looking at you there hiding away from the weather with the Clan in the Bus Shelter I thought you needed the encouragement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

well done M beating the Young fella, hope he can keep up with ya in Boston:)

29/01/2016 7.1m @ 08:10 avg pace (General Aerobic w/10x100m Strides)

Legs felt quite heavy but responded well to the strides in the last mile.

30/01/2016 St Anne's parkrun (23:53) plus 1.7m wu

Nice little jaunt around St Anne's parkrun with Ferris followed by coffee and chat with the parkrun crew. Always a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

31/01/2016 Raheny 5 plus 2m wu and 1 m cd.

Offical Time | 30:02
    Overall Position | 149th
    Category (M45) Position | 5th

With PB of 29:59 that was the target. Didn't manage to get there but wasn't all bad. Report to follow.

Buffer week over so it is back to the plan.........

Just after 5 mins, followed by P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdlHwcVxNc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

aquinn wrote: »

DD in there too around 4:40

it has to be said M, you make it look so dam easy.

Raheny 5

Overall Position | 149th

This should have been done last week. Logging it now for prosperity so I can look back next year, refresh the mind and ensure the lessons are learnt.

Love this race. Great way to start the year and always loads of familiar faces around before, during and after. Great organisation as usual and the goody bag remains legendary. Fairplay to all involved.

Target was to break 30 which is all likelihood would have meant a PB as my current 5m PB is 29:59 from Raheny 5 2015. When asked in the week before the race how I was fixed my take on it was that I was probably physical there or thereabout but wasn't sure if the mind was ready to embrace the pain to push the barrier........whether I called it right or just gave myself an out in advance I don't know but that's how it panned out on the day.

Lined up with Yaboya and had seen Duanington a half a dozen rows back. Knew both would be aiming for sub 30 and I had a view that D could go very close to 29 or even under it if he had a good day at the office. Also saw a guy from St Anne's parkrun that had similar target as me.

Mile 1 - 05:55

Tight start as usual. Decided to stick with Yaboya from the off to ensure I got my a$$ in gear quickly. Slotted into the back of the group ahead in anticipation of the wind that was going to hit us on the Howth Road. Ignored the watch and when someone called 06:03 at the mile mark I was happy that we were there or thereabouts.

Mile 2 - 05:49

Just before hitting the 1 mile mark Duanington came along on my outside. Decided to tag along with him for a while as I knew it would give me a good test and avoid any settling.

Mile 3 - 05:52

As we moved onto Mount Prospect, D seemed to up the gears. I went with him but within about half a mile I couldn't stick with it (turned out that it was probably more didn't than couldn't). Along here I passed within 200/300m of my house. The thought of an early shower did cross my mind but only very briefly. The gap started to open between D and I which lead to a loss of focus as I now longer had to target runner to chase.

Mile 4 - 06:04

Headed into the park and was struggling a little at this stage. Turned onto the Avenue and felt like I was getting a second wind....in reality looking at the splits I felt better because I was now running too slow. Expected Yaboya to pass along here somewhere but he didn't.

Mile 5 - 06:06

Started passing a few runners as we move towards the park exit. Mainly runners that had passed me in the previous mile. The guy from parkrun now joined me so I was now back in the game with someone to target. When he stepped on the path to cut each of the corners coming around the last green I was determined to ensure I crossed the line before him. Great shout out from the Boards support crew with 300 gave me the last push I needed. I rounded the last bend and powered down the finishing straight passing 3 runner and leaving the parkrun guy for dead. Strong finish just showed how I had let myself off to easy in mile 4 and 5. As Ferris would say showboating when it was all too little too late.

Another one to chalk up to experience. Nice cuppa and a catch up back in GAA Club. Some great performances and plenty of happy folk with PB in their bags to take home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Raheny 5

Overall Position | 149th

This should have been done last week. Logging it now for prosperity so I can look back next year, refresh the mind and ensure the lessons are learnt.

Love this race. Great way to start the year and always loads of familiar faces around before, during and after. Great organisation as usual and the goody bag remains legendary. Fairplay to all involved.

Target was to break 30 which is all likelihood would have meant a PB as my current 5m PB is 29:59 from Raheny 5 2015. When asked in the week before the race how I was fixed my take on it was that I was probably physical there or thereabout but wasn't sure if the mind was ready to embrace the pain to push the barrier........whether I called it right or just gave myself an out in advance I don't know but that's how it panned out on the day.

Lined up with Yaboya and had seen Duanington a half a dozen rows back. Knew both would be aiming for sub 30 and I had a view that D could go very close to 29 or even under it if he had a good day at the office. Also saw a guy from St Anne's parkrun that had similar target as me.

Mile 1 - 05:55

Tight start as usual. Decided to stick with Yaboya from the off to ensure I got my a$$ in gear quickly. Slotted into the back of the group ahead in anticipation of the wind that was going to hit us on the Howth Road. Ignored the watch and when someone called 06:03 at the mile mark I was happy that we were there or thereabouts.

Mile 2 - 05:49

Just before hitting the 1 mile mark Duanington came along on my outside. Decided to tag along with him for a while as I knew it would give me a good test and avoid any settling.

Mile 3 - 05:52

As we moved onto Mount Prospect, D seemed to up the gears. I went with him but within about half a mile I couldn't stick with it (turned out that it was probably more didn't than couldn't). Along here I passed within 200/300m of my house. The thought of an early shower did cross my mind but only very briefly. The gap started to open between D and I which lead to a loss of focus as I now longer had to target runner to chase.

Mile 4 - 06:04

Headed into the park and was struggling a little at this stage. Turned onto the Avenue and felt like I was getting a second wind....in reality looking at the splits I felt better because I was now running too slow. Expected Yaboya to pass along here somewhere but he didn't.

Mile 5 - 06:06

Started passing a few runners as we move towards the park exit. Mainly runners that had passed me in the previous mile. The guy from parkrun now joined me so I was now back in the game with someone to target. When he stepped on the path to cut each of the corners coming around the last green I was determined to ensure I crossed the line before him. Great shout out from the Boards support crew with 300 gave me the last push I needed. I rounded the last bend and powered down the finishing straight passing 3 runner and leaving the parkrun guy for dead. Strong finish just showed how I had let myself off to easy in mile 4 and 5. As Ferris would say showboating when it was all too little too late.

Another one to chalk up to experience. Nice cuppa and a catch up back in GAA Club. Some great performances and plenty of happy folk with PB in their bags to take home.

That's savage running AULDBOT100, you're in great shape nice and early in your cycle. Stay injury free and I'd bet the ranch on you smashing sub 3.

Not talking to you anymore after today though :)

TbL

Advertisement