Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Monday 01/02/2016 Rest Day plus 60mins Pilates

Had the option of a rest day so took it after race effort from previous day.

Tuesday 02/02.2016 10m @ 08:08 avg pace (General Aerobic) plus 90mins Yoga

This should have been 9 with strides. Route miscalculation meant no strides and a couple of fast miles to finish to avoid being late for yoga.

Wednesday 03/02/2016 15m @ 07:56 avg pace (MLR including the Hill of Howth)

Decent run with a progressive effort and a strong finish.

Thursday 04/02/2016 5m @ 09:07 avg pace (Recovery)

A bit of an early morning slog into the physio for some preventative maintenance. Dry needling was the order of the day and got about a dozen needles between the left Glute and Hamstring. Felt like I had been kicked in the a$$ for the next 24/36 hours.

Friday 05/02/2016 12m @ 08:09 avg pace (MLR)

Slow starting but worked my way into it. Rightly or wrongly I am running a lot of these by effort rather than by the watch. This has resulted in them being slower than in previous cycles but happy to just go with the flow at this stage of the plan.

Saturday 06/02/2016 5.4m @ 08:37 avg pace (Recovery)

Just over 5 miles out to the golf course for a spot of cross training.

Sunday 07/02/2016 17m (LR including 10m MP @ Trim 10)

Had a 17m long run with 10 at MP to do today. I knew Tang had a plan of running the Trim 10 @ 06:45 pace or thereabouts today which is my planned MP for Boston. Wasn't feeling the love so decided on a late entry to Trim to do my MP miles in company rather than solo. Tang was true to his word and ran a great race delivering a strong PB performance. Well done B and thanks for the company. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Avg pace for MP miles was 06:39 with splits as follows: 06:41/06:48/06:38/06:37/06:43/06:39/06:43/06:42/06:35/06:25

Got 6 miles in before and 1 mile after to make up my planned mileage.

Some great performances from the Boards Rotterdam crew. Great to catch up with them afterwards. Also nice to meet neilc in advance of our upcoming Boston Adventure.

Well run event with an absolutely monster spread afterwards. Got my value for money in the cakes alone ;) Thanks to all involved.

All in all a good week and delighted to have gotten a good MP session in today to close it out.

That's savage running AULDBOT100, you're in great shape nice and early in your cycle. Stay injury free and I'd bet the ranch on you smashing sub 3.

Not talking to you anymore after today though :)

TbL

Can I quote you on that :p

PS always good to see you, C. Safe travels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

FBOT01 wrote: »
    thanks for the company. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Right back at you M, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

According your splits there needs to be a steward's enquiry on your Raheny result. ;)

Good call on today's Trim. MP - would have been a nightmare trying to hit the pace on the coast.

Nice week.

Murph_D wrote: »
    According your splits there needs to be a steward's enquiry on your Raheny result. ;)

Good call on today's Trim. MP - would have been a nightmare trying to hit the pace on the coast.

Nice week.

Lost in translation between Garmin and Strava....used the Strava ones as Garmin was acting the b*llox when I was trying to access it yesterday:)

• Advertisement

Sure why not? My splits always look better on Strava too for some reason. (Probably cos it was originally designed for cyclists.) :p

Monday 08/02/2015 - Rest with 60 mins Pilates Class

The auld creaking body was glad of the rest.

Tuesday 09/02/2015 - 12m @ 08:00 avg pace (MLR) plus 90mins Yoga

Long way round to yoga again tonight. Time restrictions meant cutting the planned 13m to 12m and the miserable weather encouraged me to throw in a few quicker miles at the end to get it over with. Right hip/glute/lower back area a little tight during and after this so a bit of rolling and/or stretching required before next run. Kinda expected some of this when the mileage went up again so just need to do the basics right and avoid mistakes of the past.

Wednesday 10/02/2016 4m @ 08:54 avg pace (Recovery) followed by 11m @ 07:44 avg pace (MLR)

Plan had 15m MLR for today but the youngest wanted to go out for a few miles so we did the usual 4m loop at easy/recovery pace together before I had off to do an 11m MLR to make up the mileage. Lovely evening to be out. A world away from what we had 24 hrs earlier. Ireland, where else would you want to live :)

No major issue with right hip/glute/lower back but just enough tightness to keep me aware of it.

Thursday 11/02/2015 - 4.7m @ 08:48 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice pleasant lunchtime recovery along the coast and then up through St Anne's sticking to the grass and "Bungy" trails to keep the impact low on the legs.

Friday 12/02/2015 10m @ 07:20 avg pace (LT w/5m @10MP/HMP)

Decided to head out along the coast to Sutton for this one and stay on the flat. However, I got the wind for my sins. After a 3m warmup I got going. Struggled to find any real rhythm. Wind was coming off the sea and wasn't sure if it was helping or hindered but hoped it was hindering more than I originally thought as I was working hard and splits were sh!t. When the watch beeped for mile 3 as 06:35 I was ready to jack it in. Turned for home and the wind disappeared so kept at it. Last 2 were more comfortably hard than bust a gut hard so I was a little happier that first 3 hadn't really been as bad as they felt or as they looked on the watch. The wind had just been working against me more than I realised.

These type of sessions continue to be the ones I find the toughest in P&D programs particularly when going solo.

LT miles averaged 06:21 while the splits per Strava were : 06:25/06:20/06:36/06:14/06:12

Maybe I need to find a track or join a club. Me auld bud, Ferris knocked 4 of these miles out with the Cru last week at an avg pace that was some 10secs quicker :D

• Advertisement

Come on down, M, you'd fit right in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+ 1 to the club, did we not just have this conversation in trim?! You'd love it

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Come on down, M, you'd fit right in!

Yep, they need more old people!

13/02/2015 Saturday St Anne's parkrun (pacing 24mins) w/1m wu and 1m cd

5m recovery on the plan but offered to pace my youngest to sub 24 in parkrun instead. The carrot was that if she broke 24 I would not try to beat her so she would have her victory in print forever more!!!

The carrot obviously worked as despite her once again claiming she was dying as we turned on to the Avenue she proceeded to hit the accelerator with 200 to go to finish with me behind her with my watch saying 23:57 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done the young FBOT, no bother to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done indeed. Saw young FBOT fly by on the start of the second lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That's great for the young one. Great for her.

Two parkrun PB's in the Family over the weekend.

Don't worry about the club, cross country is nearly finished so at least you can avoid that for the first few months. Dinner on Saturday night, I'll introduce you to ALL :D

14/02/2015 Sunday 19m @ 07:29 avg pace (LR w/2xHill of Howth)

After spending sometime on cheerleading duty in Donadea the previous day I was regretting not having jumped in to do my long run in company down there. But inspired by witnessing some great performance from among others GOH, theboyblunder, killerz and Marthastew, I eventually dragged my a$$ out the door at lunchtime. One of the advantages of looking for excuses to delay my exit was I missed some really sh!ty early morning weather and did a full set of AIS warm-up stretches before leaving the house.

Felt the benefit of the stretches from the minute I started running although I as looked and ran Northwards along the coast towards Howth the sky looked far from inviting and the wind was pretty full on. Just as I started mile 2 the hail arrived. Glad I taped up but wasn't sure the choice of a t-shirt with no under-layer was the wise one. Had to don the buff and run sections of this mile with my left hand to my forehead as a visor to protect my eyes from the pellets being fired at me. I could see the smug grins on the faces of the cyclists and runners coming towards me with their backs to the wind and hail. It all blew over within a mile and that was the last I saw of winter for the rest of the run.

Ignored the watch until it beeped for mile 4 when I had a quick pace check lap pace was 07:42 and avg pace was about the same. Happy if not a little surprised and the effort was pretty easy/comfortable. Headed up Howth on the Sutton side and again focused on effort with no reference to the watch until it beeped for mile 8 after the turn at the top. Lap pace 07:33 and avg pace still around 07:45. All was good and I was really starting to enjoy the run. Sun was now beaming down and it was quite warm when sheltered from the wind. Headed down via the corkscrew and consider whether to go again or head inland. I can be a stubborn git sometimes and not going again would have been a little bit of a cop out as I had it in my head from earlier in the week to go up twice.

So ascent no 2 began heading up the same route via the Sutton side. Just as I approached the start of the long drag passed the graveyard. I passed a cyclist just finishing a phonecall. As I passed she took off up the hill. This section can be tough climb on a bike and I have been known in the past to take pleasure in passing them when I can here :) When the climb got a little steeper I was starting to gain quickly on the struggling cyclist and as I came alongside her she laughed and said something along the line of "ah hear I have to stay ahead of you" before upping her effort levels. As we reached the golf club I could see that she thought she had lost me and had backed off so I picked up the pace a little and came alongside her again, smiled and said "you're not on the downhill yet!!". She laughed and declined to push on again but instead kept pace with me and chatted until she crested the hill and took advantage of the downhill. This little bit of banter took my mind off what could have been a tough section and also meant that mile 12 split turned out to 07:04 :eek:

Unfortunately when I reached the next uphill I came across the same cyclist dismounted from her bike. I stopped but nothing I could do for the lady in distress as she had broken the rear derailer on her bike beyond repair. She turned and freewheeled back down the hill while I headed on up to the Summit. On the second descent I headed down the old tram line trail/path to the village before turning back toward home along the coast. For a change, I had the wind supporting me on this stretch and this led to 4 speedy miles to finish. When I checked later I was delighted to see them read 07:08/07:01/07:06/07:07 as I wasn't killing myself but just running comfortably strong finish.

This was originally to be an 18 mile run but the route I took meant it was going to be an extra 2 to get home. In the past I would have just pushed on and made it a 20miler but I just didn't want to push my luck as it was on the longer run the last time around that I did the damage to me back. I considered pulling up after 18 and ring home to get picked up but compromised instead by running one extra mile to bring the total for the day to 19 before stopping the watch and walking for a half mile in the sunshine before run/walking on home.

Turned out to be a very pleasant afternoon's work on a day when I had no desire to even put on the gear.......love it when a great to be alive run appears out of the blue :)

What a great run. Really nailed that one. Even outlasted a bike - hardcore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Chasing women on bikes I'll have to watch that no wonder you're always bleedin running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

You trying to out do murph on uphill running, great run and you make it sound so easy.:)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    You trying to out do murph on uphill running, great run and you make it sound so easy.:)

The Boston prep is mostly about the downhill, G, but you have to get up there first!

So you overtook a girl with a broken bike. Well done :D

Ferris B wrote: »
    So you overtook a girl with a broken bike. Well done :D

No I only caught her...then I broke the bike and overtook her:P

15/02/2016 Monday Rest with 60mins Pilates Class

This is a step back week but on the 12 week program it doesn't step back very far :(

16/02/2016 Tuesday 8m @ 07:49 avg pace (GA w/10 x 100m Strides)

No yoga this evening as life got in the way. Did get out for the planned 8m GA with Strides. Did exactly what it said on the tin.

17/02/2016 15m @ 08:07 avg pace (MLR)

Nice jaunt around DNS on a very chilly evening. Decided to try going up the corkscrew from the Sutton side rather than down it for a change. Fook the last bit is steep. Strava says I hit 10min pace at one stage :eek:

Another enjoyable run just going with the flow and not worrying about the watch. All done and dusted before the frost started to settle.

18/02/2016 4.8m @ 08:53 avg pace (Recovery)

Lunchtime recovery along the grass on the seafront and up through St Anne's along the Bungy Trails again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

17/02/2016 . Strava says I hit 10min pace at one stage :eek:

The absolute shame :D:D

I dread to see what my pace would be on that stretch!!!! You're doing great work on the hills.

Firedance wrote: »
    The absolute shame :D:D

I dread to see what my pace would be on that stretch!!!! You're doing great work on the hills.

Had my first look at the Boston course during the week.......plenty more downhill work needed, me thinks :)

• Advertisement

Had my first look at the Boston course during the week.......plenty more downhill work needed, me thinks :)

Have you not been listening to me? :rolleyes:

Have you not been listening to me? :rolleyes:

I have of course but Anna told me not to bother with anything you say :D

18/02/2016 Thursday (contd) Sneaky extra

60 mins Pilates class in the evening to make up for the yoga class missed on Tuesday.

19/02/2016 Friday 10m @ 07:36 avg pace (LT w/4 @ HMP)

Another bitch of an LT Run. Used same route as last week but with the wind back to it normal direction the first two LT miles on the way out to Sutton were OK. As usual I couldn't feel the wind when it was with me but when I turned for home :eek::eek:

Ignored the watch and just focused on form and effort. Struggled to keep the shoulders down and almost crushed the crisp on a couple of occasion before checking myself and getting back on track. Effort level felt higher on the 2nd 2 LT miles even thought they were 20secs/mile slower. Had the beginnings of a stitch in my right side during mile 4 and right shoulder pain I often get during faster sessions was there during this mile as well.

Splits for LT miles were : 06:12/06:13/06:31/06:32

20/02/2016 Saturday 4m @ 08:06 avg pace (GA)/parkrun St Anne's (20:18)/1.6m CD

Plan had 7 miles GA so headed up to St Anne's to do 4 miles on the trails/grass before finishing out with parkrun. Had planned to run parkrun with Ferris at end of his long run but missed him at the start among the 390+ others lined up. Started off at about 21min pace. Met up with a very comfortable looking KennyG during the 2nd km. Held the pace pretty steady until last km then had a good blow out down the Ave to finish. Met up with Ferris and Belcarra for another lap of the course as a cool down before adjourning for coffee, cake, chat and a bit of token sorting.

then had a good blow out down the Ave to finish.

Jaysis M, don't be saying stuff like that when your missus posts on Boards to!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysis M, don't be saying stuff like that when your missus posts on Boards to!!!

Ahh I think that nothing gets missed after following these posts for a while now !!!:D

• Advertisement

21/02/2016 Sunday 17m @ 07:45 avg pace (Long Run)

Very windy out there today. Plan was to head straight out from Howth Golf Club after a couple of hours of Cross Training. This would give me a decent downhill start and also mean the I would have to finish on the hill irrespective of what route I took. Forgot the watch so turned strava app on the phone and put it in the sbelt with my emergency tener. Would get no feedback on route but would have the details for reference later.

Made a couple attempts to talk myself into delaying this due to the windy conditions and the real potential for rain. But decided that the reality was I might as well get on with it at least I was going to be running in daylight. Headed down through Sutton and Baldoyle and on up Grange Road to Northern Cross mainly uphill and into the wind. Turned onto the Malahide Road and hit the wind head on.......had to take a small detour across the road to avoid KennyG's colony of Jack Russell's just after Clarehall. Then it was on down the Malahide Road to Fairview before turning onto the Howth Road to finally get the wind behind me. Back up through Raheny and onwards to Howth via the seafront. No watch meant no easy distance reference but reckoned in my head I was at least a mile short so did a lap of Offington before heading back up the hill. Checked the phone as I approached the golf club to see the distant click to 17 about 2 yards before the entrance. Sometime sh!t just works :)

Happy with the effort level today. On the section into the wind I must have been running with my shoulder up as my right shoulder and my neck felt quite stiff over the last couple of miles. It stretched down into the middle of my right side of my back and felt like I got kidney punched for a while. Settled down pretty much straight away when I stopped running. No issue just one to watch. I also need to focus on doing some of the back stretches from BG's book this week and I felt a couple of twinges through the lower back into the right leg on a couple of occasions today as well.

After a quick shower in the GC, I headed off to a 6 years old's birthday party and devoured my fair share of food and drink to refuel and rehydrate. Finished off the evening by hand feeding a two week old chick and bottle feeding a couple of week old lambs. Spring is in the air :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I have of course but Anna told me not to bother with anything you say :D

:pac: just catching up here... No Idea what you're talking about!!!

...quite the collection of wildlife you encountered today... From jack Russells to lambs to 6 year olds :D

23/02/2016 Monday Rest w/60mins Pilates Class

T -7.......these 12 week programs don't half fly through!!

It was kettle bell week in "Pilates" this week. As this is also a peak mileage week I was conscious of not shredding the legs on a rest day so took it nice and controlled :)

24/02/2016 Tuesday 7m @ 08:32 avg pace (AM Recovery)/3.9m @ 09:02 (PM Recovery) plus 90mins yoga class

First double day of the schedule. Had reason to be in Newbridge early doors so brought the running gear and got the first of these done on the Curragh mid-morning before returning to the big smoke. Glorious morning and great location for recovery run on grass. Did the second one in the evening over to yoga. Hip focus to the yoga class which is an area that I can do with all the focused stretching I can get.

Since d-day is getting closer I had a quick look at tickets for the Redsocks game in Fenway in April but looks like I may have left it too late for the good seats. Might need to find another option to pass the time on the Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

23/02/2016 Monday Rest w/60mins Pilates Class

T -7.......these 12 week programs don't half fly through!!

It was kettle bell week in "Pilates" this week. As this is also a peak mileage week I was conscious of not shredding the legs on a rest day so took it nice and controlled :)

24/02/2016 Tuesday 7m @ 08:32 avg pace (AM Recovery)/3.9m @ 09:02 (PM Recovery) plus 90mins yoga class

First double day of the schedule. Had reason to be in Newbridge early doors so brought the running gear and got the first of these done on the Curragh mid-morning before returning to the big smoke. Glorious morning and great location for recovery run on grass. Did the second one in the evening over to yoga. Hip focus to the yoga class which is an area that I can do with all the focused stretching I can get.

Since d-day is getting closer I had a quick look at tickets for the Redsocks game in Fenway in April but looks like I may have left it too late for the good seats. Might need to find another option to pass the time on the Saturday night.

You can rest... While Mrs Mc and I party! :D

annapr wrote: »
    You can rest... While Mrs Mc and I party! :D

Like the sound of that love this spectator stuff :)

• Advertisement

24/02/2015 Wednesday 10.4m @ 07:42 avg pace (VO2 Max w/5x1200 @ 5k pace RI150)

Loads of soft excuses to delay this one but as Duanington would say no valid reason not to get it done. So manned up and hit the road at 10pm.

Fabulous full moon lighting up a very calm Dublin Bay as I headed out the seafront. Started the faster stuff after the causeway heading out towards Sutton and back. No wind which is always a bonus especially after having a curry for dinner :D

First rep was a bit of a struggle but got into it after that. Had the watch set up so didn't look at it at all. The effort level felt right and as the reps went on the desire for air became greater which I think is the way its supposed to go. Legs felt fooked after the third one but kept doing what I asked them to do so mustn't have been that bad. Had to pull up just at the end of the 5th as there was a dog and owner on opposite sides of the path and wasn't sure if there was a tripwire between them. The dog (a decent size Husky) also looked up as I approached and had that I am coming to get you look. He did indeed come to get me but happily only to blag a tickle under the chin rather than a snack before bedtime.

Split were as follows: 04:46/04:23/04:20/04:24/04:25 so other than the first one they were all low 5:50s pace-wise. Happy with that.

Nice going M, nice session that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Had to pull up just at the end of the 5th as there was a dog and owner on opposite sides of the path and wasn't sure if there was a tripwire between them. The dog (a decent size Husky) also looked up as I approached and had that I am coming to get you look. He did indeed come to get me but happily only to blag a tickle under the chin rather than a snack before bedtime.

Did the owner feed you the 'he's only a puppy line' :( ? My next campaign, after Save the Trails of course :o, will be to get those leads banned, or at the very least have the owners submit to a basic IQ test before being allowed to buy one.

Very nice session btw.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Did the owner feed you the 'he's only a puppy line' :( ? My next campaign, after Save the Trails of course :o, will be to get those leads banned, or at the very least have the owners submit to a basic IQ test before being allowed to buy one.

Very nice session btw.

Cheers, G.

There was actually no lead between them which made me a little more consciuos of the bit where he was eyeing me up. Interestingly enough the owner never called him or made any attempt to stop him approaching me. Luckily I am dog friendly so it didn't bother me :)

25/02/2016 Thursday 10m @ 08:07 avg pace (GA)

Under time pressure so swapped planned 15 MLR and 10m GA around to squeeze in what I could. My youngest joined me for the first mile before I head out to do the Sutton, Baldoyle, Raheny loop while she stick closer to home.

26/02/2016 Friday 15.3m @07:42 avg pace (MLR w/hill of Howth)

The evenings are definitely getting longer. Didn't leave the house until after 5 and still got to the summit and almost back to Sutton Cross before darkness fell.

Ran on feel as has become the norm now for these runs just checking the watch every 4m to help match in effort with actual pace as part of the learning process. Effort was easy enough but form felt sloppy. Had a slight niggle in the right shoulder from the off so worked hard to keep the shoulders relaxed and this keep the niggle at bay. Lower back felt the downhill more than usual tonight and right hammer was also a bit niggly. Nothing that had any real impact just things to watch.

All except one mile were below 8min pace with the last 5 averaging 07:30 or thereabouts so I suppose that counts as a progression run :)

22min pacing duty in St Anne's tomorrow and then 18m w/12 @ MP on Sunday. Anyone around the PP on Sunday morning that would like to join me give me a shout.

Nice, hopefully all those Howth runs will stand to us. Have a 20 miler myself on Sun - planning an earlyish start, around 8; if the timing is right might hook up with you for your warmup or cooldown.

Nice, hopefully all those Howth runs will stand to us. Have a 20 miler myself on Sun - planning an earlyish start, around 8; if the timing is right might hook up with you for your warmup or cooldown.

Cheers, D. Sounds like the makings of a plan. Will give you a shout tomorrow.

i might join the party for 15m if it suits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ferris B wrote: »
    i might join the party for 15m if it suits...

Starting to get a bit crowded now :D

27/02/2016 Saturday St Anne's parkrun (21:57) plus 1.6m wu

22min pacing done and dusted at St Anne's parkrun pacing. Skipped the cool down in favour of coffee, scone and chat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement