Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Starting to get a bit crowded now :D

Plenty of seats upstairs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

FBOT01 wrote: »
    [ Skipped the cool down in favour of coffee, scone and chat.

Absolutely shocking carry on, what sort of example is that to the rest of us! :D:D

Firedance wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking carry on, what sort of example is that to the rest of us! :D:D

Added the extra mile on today when it mattered. Probably didn't need it yesterday as I was only jogging :p

28/02/2015 Sunday 19m @ 07:20 avg pace (LR w/12 @ MP)

Headed to PP this morning for this one. Had the company of Murph, Ferris and Yaboya for the first 5 before we split and I kicked into the MP miles with Yaboya. Plenty of ups and downs along the route including twice down the Kyber to make sure the quads where well worked.....go on B or C you know you want to:)

Finished off with a couple of cool down miles to bring the week over the 70 mark.

Having company for this turned a potential slogfest into a really good session. The perfect running conditions added to a very positive morning's work, topped off by coffee and cake....all is good in the world :)

MP miles avg pace was pretty spot on target at 06:45/06:46.

I want to too, but I won't :p Super run M, company or no, you're really working those hills .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

28/02/2015 Sunday 19m @ 07:20 avg pace (LR w/12 @ MP)

Headed to PP this morning for this one. Had the company of Murph, Ferris and Yaboya for the first 5 before we split and I kicked into the MP miles with Yaboya. Plenty of ups and downs along the route including twice down the Kyber to make sure the quads where well worked.....go on B or C you know you want to:)

Finished off with a couple of cool down miles to bring the week over the 70 mark.

Having company for this turned a potential slogfest into a really good session. The perfect running conditions added to a very positive morning's work, topped off by coffee and cake....all is good in the world :)

MP miles avg pace was pretty spot on target at 06:45/06:46.

No no I'll be the bigger man AGAIN and say thanks for making my run look ****e you show off!!! Joking aside as I said on P's log impressive run to have in the bag M, not that I expected anything else really.

29/02/2016 Monday Rest w/60min Pilates

Nice gentle start to the second of the buffer weeks that I had planned into the marathon cycle. This one is to facilitate Ballycotton 10 on Sunday.

01/032016 Tuesday 7.5m @ 07:55 avg pace (GA - Easy)

Lunchtime trot around one of the local loops. Last two were with the wind which is always a nice way to finish. Time pressure resulted in planned 9m dropping to 7.5m

Sports massage and 90mins Yoga Class this evening so should be bouncing like a spring lamb tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck Sunday, don't forget your clipboard. Or watch:)

Good luck in Ballycotton M!! have a super race and.......... A GREAT TIME :p

• Advertisement

Best of luck Sunday M, don't be letting yaboya1 be getting revenge now for Raheny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sub 62 or don't bother coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

All the best AULDBOT100, I'm expecting geriatric records to be set!

You're in super nick (for an auld lad)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Presume you're aiming for a tee shirt ...best of luck.

And Leave out the deliberate posing for the local rag mag this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck on Sunday.
    Don't beat me by too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good luck Sunday M, you've a great block of training under the belt now - leave it all out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck Sunday, Mark... Boston depends on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Yeah cause it's all over after sub 3 isn't it ??? Yeah ??? No more training ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Have a great race, go claim that t-shirt!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck Sunday, don't forget your clipboard. Or watch:)

Never leave home without the clipboard, G.....now where's that watch. Cheers.
    Good luck in Ballycotton M!! have a super race and.......... A GREAT TIME :p

Cheers. I hope to have both :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday M, don't be letting yaboya1 be getting revenge now for Raheny!!

Thanks B. He can beat me if he likes as long as he doesn't take my t-shirt :P
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Sub 62 or don't bother coming back.

I am right there with you, V. Pity you won't be around to pace me :)
    All the best AULDBOT100, I'm expecting geriatric records to be set!

You're in super nick (for an auld lad)

TbL

Cheers C. All I can do is run as fast as my auld legs will take me and see where it gets me :D
    Ferris B wrote: »
    Presume you're aiming for a tee shirt ...best of luck.

And Leave out the deliberate posing for the local rag mag this year.

You know me never miss a photo op. I hoping the weather will scare all the speedys to give me a chance!
    Good luck on Sunday.
    Don't beat me by too much :)

I wish.....see you down there.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Good luck Sunday M, you've a great block of training under the belt now - leave it all out there!

Thanks D. I am looking forward to the hurt already, D.:pac::pac:
    Killerz wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday, Mark... Boston depends on it :)

Cheers J. No pressure just the way I like it...........
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Yeah cause it's all over after sub 3 isn't it ??? Yeah ??? No more training ???

Dream on, Mrs Mc;)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Have a great race, go claim that t-shirt!

Thanks, G. As I said fingers crossed the weather scares off a bunch of the speedy guys and girls!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Late with the luck wishing, best of luck!

• Advertisement

mbarr wrote: »
    Late with the luck wishing, best of luck!

Right back at you.......have a good one tomorrow. ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best, see you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

All the best! Hope the weather behaves but if not, ye're all in the same boat. Well, hopefully not a boat...you might have taken a wrong turn if you find yourself in a boat.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    All the best! Hope the weather behaves but if not, ye're all in the same boat. Well, hopefully not a boat...you might have taken a wrong turn if you find yourself in a boat.....

Well it is quite water logged around east cork!

Good luck tomorrow M, you were looking ready and relaxed when we saw you in Ballycotton today!

Despite what the results say I did finish....60:40ish. PB but no t-shirt. Happy out. Report to follow.

Despite what the results say I did finish....60:40ish. PB but no t-shirt. Happy out. Report to follow.

Deadly!,you had us worried

I retract what I said on yaboya1's log. Very well done on the PB M, shouldn't have doubted you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ffs AULDBOT, could you not have found 40 seconds, you're making a habit of this :)

TbL

Well done on PB M, in flying form, save them 40 sec for when it really counts, always a good day when u PB.

Ffs AULDBOT, could you not have found 40 seconds, you're making a habit of this :)

TbL

Yep. I hear you, C. I think need you to get your finger out of your glute and come down to pace me next year!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Super stuff! A two-PB household, enjoy the double celebrations :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Super, super run today.

You are in the shape of your life. Just keep the fingers crossed for favourable conditions in Boston. I'll say no more for fear of jinxing.

Well done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Cracking result, FBOT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I can confirm you were still running with 800m to go... After that...? :).

Great running today and thanks for the cuppa afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

WOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done, Mark, did yourself justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Super run Mark, you are in serious shape. Best of luck in Boston

Absolutely savage! Well done on a great run!

A bit of catch up............

03/03/2016 Wednesday 10m @ 07:43 avg pace (General Aerobic + Speed (5/4/3/2/1min @ MP/HMP/10k/5k/3k Pace RI60)

A little tender after the previous evening massage. But decided to go ahead with this sharpener session as later in the week would be too close to Sunday race. Getting out the door was the tough part. Headed up towards DCU for the first 5 and then did the faster stuff on the way back down. The session itself was easier to do this than write..........

04/03/2016 Thursday 5.6m @ 08:24 avg pace (Recovery)

Straightforward slog.

05/03/2016 Friday 5.8m @ 08:28 avg pace (Recovery w/Strides)

Straightforward slog with Strides.

06/03/2016 Saturday 4.7m @ 08:47 (Recovery)

Early morning plod around St Anne's to loosen the legs before the car journey south to Ballycotton.

After taking up residence on Main St Ballycotton we spent a nice relaxing afternoon along the cliff walk in Ballycotton. Beautiful day albeit a bit windy. Hoped the wind would be a little lighter for the following days race.

Deadly!,you had us worried

Cheers FD. Nothing like a bit of drama! I see from your finish pic on Saturday that you waited until the finish-line this time to celebrate ;) Nice run and photo
    tang1 wrote: »
    I retract what I said on yaboya1's log. Very well done on the PB M, shouldn't have doubted you.

Thanks B. Glad to see that the hip seems to have settled down.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done on PB M, in flying form, save them 40 sec for when it really counts, always a good day when u PB.

Cheers G. I see you are back on the road. Take it handy for a few days to make sure all is good.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super stuff! A two-PB household, enjoy the double celebrations :D.

Thanks G. We enjoyed the celebration and lived to tell the tail........well what goes on tour and all that!
    Super, super run today.

You are in the shape of your life. Just keep the fingers crossed for favourable conditions in Boston. I'll say no more for fear of jinxing.

Well done again.

Cheers P. Yep a few more week of hard graft and then we can start seriously looking at the big one and what we might be up against.
    Killerz wrote: »
    Cracking result, FBOT!

Cheers J.
    annapr wrote: »
    I can confirm you were still running with 800m to go... After that...? :).

Great running today and thanks for the cuppa afterwards!

Video confirms I made it to the end.......cheers, A. Thanks to you and support crew for the shout outs.
    WOW!

Cheers A, from one auldfella to another I take that as a real compliment :)
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done, Mark, did yourself justice.

Thanks D. Yep I have to agree with you it is one of the first races in a while that I think I did ;)
    loughie wrote: »
    Super run Mark, you are in serious shape. Best of luck in Boston

Thanks S. As always it was good to catch up with you. Don't hang around the dark side for too long........I hope training goes well for you for Berlin and that you get through it without the trip to A&E this year :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Absolutely savage! Well done on a great run!

Thanks A. Happy out now that I am officially in the results and can claim my 45sec PB :pac::pac:

The short version.....great day at the office!!!

Official Time : 1:00:34
    Overall Position : 113
    Category Position (O45) : 6

Slightly longer version….. ;)

Prerace

Raheny 5 followed by this were always planned as my main tune-up races before Boston. I had built in a buffer week for each to allow me to give them a good lash. I had nor have I any plans for a pre-marathon half so had no reason to hold back at this one. This was my third outing to Ballycotton so I have reasonable knowledge of the course and the set-up. On the morning of the race I got up early as usual and had my normal breakfast and while sitting enjoying the view over the bay I decided to review my last couple of race reports from here. I was surprised to see that I never actually did one for last year but the 2014 one reminded me of the logistics and hammered home the point about congression, etc. at the start. Then I jumped onto Strava to review the splits from both my previous outings. Had to find something to do to pass the time given the late start :) This highlighted what I already knew that in both previous occasions I had struggled a bit around the turn and lost valuable time in miles 4 through to 6. I had a view that this was more down to mentally switching off rather than anything physical so I decided that today I would focus specifically on these 3 miles and make sure I kept the head in the game at this point. The start would take care of itself and after mile 6 we were on the run home so should be no problem keeping the focus for that.

Last year and this year we had a house on the Main Street with friends that was ideally located 1km from the start/finish and also perfect for as a drop-in location for friends and family doing the race. Had plenty of visitors from 10:30 onwards including Murph, Annapr and the boys. This along with a nice relaxing stroll up the town helped pass the morning.

So 12 O’Clock came and time to start thinking about the job at hand. I few quick stretches (actually 2 I think 1 on each leg) and then into the gear. Said my good lucks and goodbyes and off I went. Headed up to the bag drop and was surprised to see 2 houses in the field that used to be the bagdrop area….the boom in back!! Found the new location and dropped the bag. No delay as I just dumped me bag and didn’t bother with a sticker or writing my number on it. If you can leave the door open all day in the house with no problems I didn’t expect anyone to nick me bag with nothing worth nicking in it anyway. To be honest not putting it in the standard issue white plastic bag made it very easy to find afterwards. Met Murph at the bag drop and after donning our blackbags we headed out for a short warm-up with a few strides before making our way to the start area. We were in place a good 15/20mins before the start and had our choice of starting position at that stage. Bumped into Loughie and as it started to get busier we wished D well and pushed up a bit as he was happy to sit back a little. Yaboya joined us at this stage. Loughie had a plan to go out at 6min pace and see how long he could hold it. I had a plan to target sub 61 but not to leave anything behind while P was a less clear on target time but was going to run hard and see where it got him. He was just back from 3 weeks holidays so that was always going to take its toll. As the crowd start to build I pushed up a little more as I knew there would be a bunch of elites and clubrunners jumping in from the front just before the off. I was relaxed and ready for the off when it came.

Race

Mile 1-3 (06:06/05:59/05:57)

Start was congressed as always but I knew there were only a couple of hundred people in front of me so couldn’t be too much of a hold up. I just held the white line in the middle of the road and tried to avoid being tripped by those bobbing and weaving from side to side looking for non-existent gaps and then pushing through anyway. Saw Loughie passing at pace on the left-hand road edge but quick check of the watch and pace was Ok so just stayed where I was. I wasn’t feeling as comfortable as I thought I should be and I felt a little strange kinda like I was overheating but I wasn’t. Maybe just a bit anxious which is very unusual for me but breathing felt laboured and air felt thin. Quick shout from Annapr and crew as we passed through the village before being joined by Yaboya. Quick hello and then another check of the watch which told me that traffic had slowed and that I needed to make a move if things didn’t free up soon. That was the last time I checked the watch until crossing the 10K mark on the road. It was also the last time I felt the sense of a lack of air.

The guy calling splits at the 1m marker called 06:16 and I heard a couple of lads beside me saying that they were 06:07 net. I reckoned that I was about the same with 10secs or so in hand on the clock time.

Second mile includes the steepest part of the downhill so this helped build momentum and get me into the game. I was busy checking out those around me so that I could monitor my progress by seeing where I stood in comparison to them at the later stages. I was in a group that was moving slower than I wanted to be so when we were passed by 2 Celbridge runners I jumped on board and started chasing down the next group which I could see included Loughie. Next mile beeped but I took no heed I was moving well now and happy to run on feel for a while. During mile 3 we caught the next group and I pushed on through and tagged onto Loughie who had moved to the front of the group.

Mile 4-6 (05:57/05:59/05:59)

These were the magic miles for me. The ones I had committed to even before the race began so had no intention of backing off in any shape or form. No power nap option today!! This meant that I could not settle into any group I just had to keep ploughing ahead at my own pace. It also meant that I got very little shelter when we turned back into the breeze after Ballymaloe. But at this stage I had passed the halfway point and with a clock spilt of 30:2x meaning a net split of 30:1x, I was very happy with where I was. To put in in context my 5m PB is 29:59 and 5 weeks previously I had run reasonably well in Raheny 5 for a 30:02. In mile 6 I came up alongside a St Finbarr’s runner. As I passed him he surged and passed me back. I took no heed of him and just kept my pace steady. About 100m later I passed him again and he did the same. This went on for about a mile each time he passed me I smiled a little wider and by the third or fourth time I felt like reminding him that he had over 3 miles to go including a decent climb and that he might be better off saving his effort but who am I to tell him how to run his race. My focus at this stage had moved to a group of 10/12 lads about 50m ahead. They were moving at just the right pace but a little outside my reach. I decided against pushing to catch them as I had a good rhythm going and wasn’t sure the extra effort would be worth the shelter they would provide from the breeze given that the breeze was not significantly hampering my progress. Passed the 10k mark during this stretch and had a quick look at the watch 37:3x or thereabout which would be a PB over 10k for me if it counted. Current PB is 38:42 from Kilbride 2014.

Mile 7-9 (06:01/06:00/06:10)

Miles 7 and 8 were business as usual. I was still running solo just that little bit too far back from the group but was picking off the back markers as they got detached. I was looking at a couple of the lads at the back of the group with envy as they looked to be coasting without doing any of the work. At some points during these miles I could see 30+ runner strung out in front of me on the road and couldn’t help but think that in there somewhere was the 100th runner and questioning if I might be able to pass him/her before the finish. Had no thoughts of time along here just wanted to keep the effort constant and knew the clock would look after itself after that. The rain continued to fall getting a little heavier and my shorts were sticking to my quads. This made me think about the lack of pain I was feeling in my legs. I was actually cruising in a comfortbale hard sort of way breathing was good and legs felt fine. I actually put this down to them being numb as they had that red glow you get when running on a cold wet day. I wasn’t complaining as they were doing a great job. As we passed the 8mile mark the group ahead started to break up with the lads that had done the drafting pushing on and the lads that had done the hard work coming back towards me. Next came the hill. I was joined just before the hill by a Gowran AC runner whom I had passed around mile 4. When I passed him I heard his mate tell him to kick on if he wanted to go with me and he replied that he was all good and that this race was all about the second half. He kicked pass me but I declined the temptation to go with him as I reckoned it was just a little far out to be getting involved. I would get up the hill into the final mile and then dig in and defend or improve my position. Given my recent trips to Howth the hill didn’t pose me any great difficulty. I just shorten the stride and stuck the head down and got on with it. Pictured a cyclist up ahead that needed a lesson :p Picked up a couple of places including the Gowran lad along the way. He kicked back once but that didn’t last. Got a shout of 54:4x at the 9 mile mark.

Mile 10 (06:01 plus 0.07 in 23sec)

I now knew I was on for a decent sub 61 if I just held on for another 6min mile. Headed up through the village and as always the support was fantastic. Another shout out from Annapr and crew and I was buzzing………I know I told Mrs Mc that you could either choose to Enjoy the Race or Enjoy the PB afterwards but today I was looking at one of those great occasions when you get to do both!!!

I hit the 600m to go mark and was struggling to push on any more there were two guys still in the “killzone” but how much did I want it? I made my only mistake of the day just about here. For the first time I looked over my shoulder. Up until this at no stage did I care what was behind me it was all about maintaining effort and chasing down the runner in front. I don’t know whether I wanted there to be someone chasing me down to force me to keep pushing or whether I was looking for the comfort of knowing that I was under no pressure. It turned out that there was no one within striking distance and with the finish line approach quickly, sub 61 was secure so too were the 2 guys in front of me……..I was done no sprint finish today.

Crossed the line with 1:00:4x on the clock. The rope was still up corralling finishers to the left so for a moment I thought maybe but it was to be I was handed a mug and nothing else.

Post race

The lack of adrenaline from a sprint finish, the miserable weather and the sight of all those t-shirts around me took the edge off the result for me a little and I headed back around to cheer home the rest of the crew with little fuss or thought about what I great race I had just run.

Gave Murph a roar on the run in, he looked like he was working hard but no dry wrecking in sight and then headed back down to the house to hit the shower before the queue. Gave the rest of the crew shout outs as they passed me. Met up with Yaboya and Annapr at the house and we waited to see E and Mrs Mc to pass before heading inside. No acknowledgement from Mrs Mc when she passed which meant she was focused on the job at hand or as I found out later, was focused on beating our friend’s 17 year old niece which she did :)

Wasn’t long before the house was full of mainly happy people with loads of PBs to celebrate. Tea, coffee and cake was first on the menu as everybody was eager to get warm after a truly wet and miserable afternoon weather-wise. I’d say it was worst for the spectators than runners though. Finished off by heading next door to the pub for a celebratory drink before getting on the glad rags on and heading up the town for dinner. Great event in a great location and I hope to have the pleasure of running it again next year….sub 60 might yet be achievable we will have to see what the next year brings.

I found it very interesting over the next couple of days when I saw how I reacted to my performance. It wasn’t until Tuesday that I noticed that every time anyone asked me how I got on I started by saying that I didn’t get a t-shirt I completed ignored the fact that I had just broken my PB by 45secs, that I made up 12 places in the second half of the race, that wasn't passed by anyone that managed to stay ahead of me from mile 2 omwards and that I had exceeded even my most optimistic prerace expectation. In reality I had just run the race of my life.………..so now if you ask me you will get the following answer “I had a focking great run. Smashed my PB by 45secs and thoroughly enjoyed every step while doing it! It was indeed one of the good day :)

Fantastic stuff M, totally deserved. I had bad feelings on Sunday refreshing your name in the results and only getting a 5 mile split when you should have been well done, every right to brag about your 45 sec PB. Mullingar in July for the sub 60?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Enjoyed that report. Well done on the pb. Should have at least tried for a finishing push though, lazy fecker :)

Great report M, looking at splits near perfect Race, well deserved PB, really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

It's amazing what a bit of mid week yoga with the ladies can do for your speed.

Superb run.

Really enjoyed reading that report. It was indeed one of the good days. Well done again. I hope you're allowing yourself some retrospective buzz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Excellent work M, well deserved PB!

• Advertisement
Advertisement