Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hard luck yesterday M, if ever a man deserves a sub3 its yourself. Your race was ****e, but not cause of your own making, you had the training in the bag just the weather dealt you a brutal hand, nothing can be done about that. No need to take up the knitting or lawn bowls yet, there's sub 3 in those legs as much as MrsMc might protest!! Enjoy the shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

tang1 wrote: »
    Hard luck yesterday M, if ever a man deserves a sub3 its yourself. Your race was ****e, but not cause of your own making, you had the training in the bag just the weather dealt you a brutal hand, nothing can be done about that. No need to take up the knitting or lawn bowls yet, there's sub 3 in those legs as much as MrsMc might protest!! Enjoy the shopping.

Don't be dissing the knitting B !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well done yesterday Mark, tough event as it is, add in the heat and the locked hips and I can only imagine how tough it was. Fair play for keeping the march going, and I hope you were able to enjoy and take in the atmosphere despite those challenges. Wear the jacket and medal with pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Official Net Time: 3:23:49
    Overall: 5908/26639
    Division: 780/2504 (M45-49)
    Conditions: Hot, Sunny, Dry & Calm……20C+

Background:

Training for this cycle was a 12 week P&D 55-70 Plan. The reason for the shorter cycle was down to trying to ensure full recovery from the hip/glute problem that kept me out of DCM 2015. I took up a body balance/pilates and a yoga/pilates class as part of my recovery and kept these up throughout this cycle. During the cycle I had a reasonable result in the Raheny 5 and what I saw as a great result in the Ballycotton 10. In addition, I pretty much hit every session up until Week T-2 when I had a recurrence of a previous Hamstring injury. The cause of this in the past was cumulative fatigue and it is likely that this was the cause again. Last time it happened I got some dry needling and it cleared up within a couple of days. This time unfortunately my physio was away so went with massage option instead of dry needling. This was not as effective but combined with rest it seemed to have significantly improved before hitting the road for Boston. So I was in pretty good shape boarding the flight on Friday. The only nagging issue was that in the weekend before travelling I had some tightening of the right hip during a long haul work trip. Did a bit of foam rolling on this and put it down to taper madness!!

I paid little attention to the weather forecast but I knew that was the key uncontrollable that wouldn’t really be known until Monday morning.
    We had a very relaxing few days in the company of Mrs Mc, Murph and Annapr taking in some of the sights of Boston and a couple of nice recovery runs:

16/04/2016 Saturday 4.8m @ 09:08 avg pace (Recovery along the Charles River with Murph, Annapr and Mrs Mc)
    17/04/2016 Sunday 2.9m @ 09:00 avg pace (Reccie of the final mile with Murph, Yaboya and TAFKAQ)

Sleep wasn’t great over the weekend but kept activity levels low to ensure I was as well rested as possible for Monday.

Ate as well as I could given the choices available and we had a prerace boards pasta get together on Sunday night which was very enjoyable. Thanks to A for organising.

Race Day

Early start for me. A 6am bus meant that I had a 5am start to get my usual prerace breakfast of porridge with apple. The hotel went above and beyond to sort this out for me. After breakfast I headed down to the bag drop and on to the bus loading zone. Pretty surreal when I saw the amount of yellow school buses lined up to bus us out to the start. All very well organised with a huge security presence. Quiet bus journey for me but not an anxiety one just ended up sitting beside a guy who was happy to look out the window. Got out to Hopkinston about 7:30 and into the Athlete Village. Headed as far from the entrance as possible as there was “plenty of room down the back” as a Dublin Bus driver would say. Hooked up with Yaboya, Paulieyifter and a friend of Paulie’s. As we sat on the grass the biggest potential challenge of the day became evident. The sun was beaming down and we had to move into one of the tents to seek shelter. Certainly didn’t need any of the extra layers we brought. Time passed pretty quickly and after a couple of trips to the portaloo it was time to wish the lads good luck and head to the starting corrals. Again everything was very well organised and with no hassles. I took up position on the right side of the Corral in the shade of a nearby tree as the sun continued to beam down and the Marines on nearby rooftops surveyed proceeding from their vantage point.

It was very clear that it was going to be a hot one from the start. I made a couple of revisions to my strategy for the day given the conditions. The early morning forecast said that as we moved towards the city that we would benefit from a coastal breeze that would take the temperature down. So the plan was now to try stay in the game for as long as possible. This would mean sticking to the original plan of a slow start and extending that until half way with the hope of being able to pick it up in the second half. The second change was in relation hydration. This would be key staying in the game. I would try taking on water early and if I couldn’t manage the cups I would adopt a strategy of taking water at the end of the water station and walking for 5/10m to allow me to drink. I believed that any time lost here would be repaid in spades later in the day.

So after a rendition of the national anthem we were off. Took about 3mins from the gun to actually crossing the start line.

Miles 1-5 (06:59/06:44/06:50/06:54/06:54)

The miles from Hopkinton to Framingham are the downhill miles that everyone warns you about when you sign up for Boston. I had taking all these warning on board and had no intention of racing off instead I just hugged the middle of the road and tried to stay out of trouble while many around me weaved from left to right and back again to try to find gaps in a very congested field. I was moving OK and quick check of the watch told me that I was there or thereabouts so no need to panic. However, from the off I could feel the sun just sucking the energy from my body. I passed Yaboya somewhere in the first couple of miles. Said a quick Hello but neither of us were in chatting humour. Tried to take water at the mile 3 water station and end up with a nose full so settled on the fact that I would be using a walk through strategy from Mile 5 onwards. The support was amazing from mile 1. When we hit Ashland the first of many towns that we would pass through the supporters were out in force. It was here that I heard my first “you’ve got this” of the day which brought a smile to my face. I actually agree with this guy at this stage and reassured myself that “I got this!”

Mile 5-10 (06:51/06:47/06:56/07:00/06:57)

Framingham stepped up the support another level with BBQs and all out in force and it was still before 11am. Hit the 10k mark at the outer limit of where I wanted to be despite kicking off the walk through water station strategy at the mile 5 water station. Still concerned about the heat but still in the game so no panic. Next few miles continue along the same vein. I was stopping every third water station to take on water. I had a few minor cramps/stitches after drinking but while uncomfortable they weren’t slowly me down. I felt that it was getting hotter rather than cooler as we moved on towards the city. About mile 9 or 10 I took off the buff I had been wearing to protect me head from the sun to try to release some heat through the sunroof to control my temperature.

Mile 11-15 (07:11/07:00/07:19/07:17/07:40)

This is where the wheels started to come off. During mile 11 my hips started to tighten and it made each stride increasingly painful. I also started to notice a soreness in my left foot that seemed to be the start of my first ever blister during a race. Quite quickly I had to reduce my stride length and so began the death march home. The pace started to drop and I knew sub 3 was not happening today. Plodded on through Wellesley…..yes it is as loud as they say it is. Kept to the left and passed on the making a run at the kiss record which I had been told the night before was 6. Given that these enthusiastic supporter could have been my daughters and their mates it would have been so wrong even if the record appeared very low and a soft target  Passed half way at 1:31:30 or thereabouts and started counting down the miles in a way I have never felt the need to do before. The pain in my right hip in particular was referring from my thigh to lower back just under my ribs. On occasions it felt like I was being rabbit punched in the right kidney. However, this element of it subsided and the pain reverted to just the hip flexors as the pace dropped.

Mile 16-20 (07:35/08:15/08:28/08:21/08:54)

The decent downhill in mile 16 and the first two of Newton hills came and went causing no particular problems at the pace I was now travelling at. When I rounded the corner at Newton Fire station and saw the first climb it reminded me of the section by the graveyard heading up Howth. Between training up Howth and having done the Connemarathon, Newton Hills held no intimidation factor for me. I would have liked to have been in the shape to give them a fair shot. Instead all I could do was make a deliberate effort not to walk while ascending them other than as required to take on water per strategy. It was during these miles that I realised that I had spent the last 10 mile running with my head down just grinding it out. Why? Yes things weren’t going my way but fock it I was doing the Boston Marathon. Targets were out the window so it was all about the experience now and time to make it worth remembering. I made a conscious effort to lift the head and embrace the support that was coming from the 1,000’s of supporters lining the route. I may not be going to achieve my goal but I was damn well sure I was going to finish and make some memories along the way that would stay with me for a long time.

Mile 21-23 (09:08/08:24/08:48)

Plodded up the famous Heartbreak Hill again with limited additional issues as I was incapable of increasing the pace to a point where I was being aerobically challenged at this stage. I knew Cleveland Circle and Coleridge Corner were coming up and that both were serious cheering zones so looked forward to them. As I travelled through both I waved to the crowds and encouraged them to raise their voice and push us home. And to a man they duly obliged.

Mile 24-Finish (08:55/08:49/09:32/03:14)

Next up was the Citco sign which would signify the start of the end. Could also see the John Hancock Tower at this stage, the base of which is only a couple of hundred metres from the finish. Before I got to the Citco sign I would be passing our cheerleading squad including Mrs Mc, Annapr and a couple of friends of Anna’s. I saw them clearly as I approached waving the freebie IRFU flags that I had brought for them and took the opportunity to grab a kiss and a hug from Mrs Mc. I had passed on Wellesley but no reason not to make up for it now. This gave me the boost to the spirits needed to put me on the road to closing out the last mile with a smile. For the last mile the support was at a level that no words can describe. The pain of the previous 3 hours plus now had a purpose I could see the finish and my every step was being cheered by thousands of onlookers. In an attempt to repay their support I acknowledged them with open arms and gave a little back by throwing in a few airplanes as I trudged through the final few hundred yards. I crossed the line with hands aloft not in victory or celebration but in appreciation for being a part of such a wonderful event…..and of course for the finishing photo and finish line video :D

Post Race

After a little lie down in Boston Common to rest my weary legs I headed off and met up with the rest of the crew to hear that unfortunately none but Paulieyifter and his mate Paddy had fared better than me and even they were 10mins off their prerace targets. A truly tough day at the office for all.
    A few postrace drinks helped ease the pain and we even managed to stay up passed 10pm :p

The funny ending to it all was heading out of the Hotel at 8:30 on Tuesday morning to a glorious overcast morning with a gentle cooling breeze that was the essence of perfect running conditions :D

Quads were pretty sore on Tuesday morning but I decided to do 10mins on the exercise bike to loosen out the hips and hit the sauna before breakfast. Spent the rest of the day sightseeing proudly wearing my Marathon Jacket and on more than one occasion I was congratulated by passersby and even thanked on a couple of occasion by locals for having travelled to come and do their race. You gotta love it!!

Verdict

Great event with a course that demands real respect and conditions that made it all the more demanding. Anybody who gets the opportunity to do it, should take it as I doubt the atmosphere of Marathon Monday is replicated anywhere else in the World and really does need to be experienced to be believed.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience despite the fact that the outcome was not what I had hoped for. One to be remember and not least for the opportunity to share it with some excellent company. Thanks Folks…………til London ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great report, M. Didn't notice the marines on rooftops near the start myself, and I'd forgotten about the Framingham BBQs - reminiscent of that guy in Inchicore multiplied by about a thousand!

Your day sounds a lot like mine in many respects, except you had to deal with the hip pain on top of everything else. Your description of the sun sucking all the energy out sums it up, and the frustration of being aerobically grand while the body won't cooperate also sounds so familiar.

Wish I'd stopped feeling sorry for myself earlier and embraced the experience more like you did. You're right - it was an unforgettable experience regardless; you'd have to be made of stone not to get something out of it regardless of the personal performance.

Terrible luck all the same, so much went so right for so long and then the ****in' sun decides to torture us!

It was a pleasure to spend the weekend with you, A, P and the others. You certainly deserve to wear that jacket with pride (if only for being able to put up with "YOU GOT THIS!!!" for as long as you did). :pac: Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

What a great report M, despite everything, the weather, your hips you made the best of a difficult day, this undoubtedly got you home as quickly as you could on the day. I''ve said this before but you are a great example on this forum of how to do things right, even when **** goes wrong. Well done - this will make your sub 3 all the sweeter when it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Firedance wrote: »
    What a great report M, despite everything, the weather, your hips you made the best of a difficult day, this undoubtedly got you home as quickly as you could on the day. I''ve said this before but you are a great example on this forum of how to do things right, even when **** goes wrong. Well done - this will make your sub 3 all the sweeter when it comes.

+1 to this,

great report & sounds like a truly amazing event!! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Another great read, hope the hip feeling better, sounds like you had good end
    to bad day, on wards to London and new log title You Got This :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Well done and a great report M.

Just pick a "colder" marathon next time and a sub 3 is in the bag :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks for that. Sounds very like my DCM 2014 experience. Ouch ouch ouch. Recover well. Am very very sorry that you didn't get the result you deserve however at least you know that was down to 'uncontrollables'. Uncontrollables suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Do you have a gfa for London???

I know you're old n all but come on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

"You got this". That has been missing from my cheerleading repertoire. Not any more :D

Great report, FBOT and kudos for embracing the event despite the target slipping away. Hope the hip is on the mend and you're recovering well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Christ tough day and then with hips locking too.

I was very relieved to see you smiling in pictures at the finish afterwards with the men.

Glad you did get to appreciate the experience after struggling and aeroplanes at the finish, ah.

The day didn't work out and I'm sorry but the Boston marathon! Wow. Top looks great so enjoy it. I hope you are feeling well and congratulations.

London ?????? Wtf ???? :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »

Ah yes remember advise, about braking news on future targets, good to see
    practical application:pac:

• Advertisement

You should have encouraged the knitting!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

congrats on getting some enjoyment out of a bad situation.

What do you think caused the hips to lock up??

Kennyg71 wrote: »

It's the only way I find out his running plans for the year G !!!

You should have encouraged the knitting!!

I did ! Seems to have fallen on deaf ears tho !

It's the only way I find out his running plans for the year G !!!

:D:D:D

Boards.ie doing its bit for marital communication - tang when is Mrs tang signing up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Super report Mark, you really captured the essence of the event. I'm gutted for you that the day didn't work out to target... I don't think there is anything more you could have done - the training was there, the results were there, you have the experience... Unfortunately between the heat and the hips, there was nothing you could do.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the experience after cutting the losses and sounds like you had a blast nonetheless. Well done.

- tang when is Mrs tang signing up?

NEVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

NEVER!!!

Ha, that's what fbot said a year ago. Never say never

aquinn wrote: »

She has Facetube, I have Boards.

She has Facetube, I have Boards.

for now.... :p:p she'd make a great addition and we need more wimminz :D

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great report, M. Didn't notice the marines on rooftops near the start myself, and I'd forgotten about the Framingham BBQs - reminiscent of that guy in Inchicore multiplied by about a thousand!

Your day sounds a lot like mine in many respects, except you had to deal with the hip pain on top of everything else. Your description of the sun sucking all the energy out sums it up, and the frustration of being aerobically grand while the body won't cooperate also sounds so familiar.

Wish I'd stopped feeling sorry for myself earlier and embraced the experience more like you did. You're right - it was an unforgettable experience regardless; you'd have to be made of stone not to get something out of it regardless of the personal performance.

Terrible luck all the same, so much went so right for so long and then the ****in' sun decides to torture us!

It was a pleasure to spend the weekend with you, A, P and the others. You certainly deserve to wear that jacket with pride (if only for being able to put up with "YOU GOT THIS!!!" for as long as you did). :pac: Well done.

Cheers D. I did consider just cutting and pasting from your report as you did such a great job in describing our day :)

Thanks AM. Actually I probably could have gotten home a few mins quicker on the day but with target gone I just settled in and "enjoyed" the ride.
    Younganne wrote: »
    +1 to this,

great report & sounds like a truly amazing event!! Well done.

Thanks Anne. Yes it is a super event. Worth doing!
    Another great read, hope the hip feeling better, sounds like you had good end
    to bad day, on wards to London and new log title You Got This :)

Cheers, G. Hips are OK. They are getting plenty of rest this week. Will bank that title if I ever need a new one :p
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Well done and a great report M.

Just pick a "colder" marathon next time and a sub 3 is in the bag :D

Thanks D. North pole marathon is always something that interested me now that you mention it.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Sounds very like my DCM 2014 experience. Ouch ouch ouch. Recover well. Am very very sorry that you didn't get the result you deserve however at least you know that was down to 'uncontrollables'. Uncontrollables suck.

Cheers DG. Uncontrollables are indeed a pain in the a*se. Speaking of results people deserve. I heard on the grape vine that you had a good day out at the road relay. Congrats. I am a little behind on boards but looking forward to catching up over the weekend.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Do you have a gfa for London???

I know you're old n all but come on :D

:D I didn't say what year that we would be heading to London.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    "You got this". That has been missing from my cheerleading repertoire. Not any more :D

Great report, FBOT and kudos for embracing the event despite the target slipping away. Hope the hip is on the mend and you're recovering well.

Thanks G. Recovering OK and physio booked for next week.
    Christ tough day and then with hips locking too.

I was very relieved to see you smiling in pictures at the finish afterwards with the men.

Glad you did get to appreciate the experience after struggling and aeroplanes at the finish, ah.

The day didn't work out and I'm sorry but the Boston marathon! Wow. Top looks great so enjoy it. I hope you are feeling well and congratulations.

Cheers A. Sure you got to smile about it. Life's too short :)

Sure you have known for years that London/New York/Chicago are all on the list!

Practice what you preach, G!!
    congrats on getting some enjoyment out of a bad situation.

What do you think caused the hips to lock up??

Thanks A. I am not sure what the issue is with the hip or what triggered it on Monday. I can trace it back as far as the 4:10 pacing job in DCM 2014. That was the first time I experienced it and I put it down at the time to time on my feet. That was the longest run I had ever done by 30mins and it was also at a pace that meant using a shortened stride. Stupidly I played it down and I pretty much ignored it, working around it until it took me out of DCM 2015. I rehabed it after that and got going again early in the year but stopped all the specific strengthening exercise and all the rehab work when I kick off marathon training. This is probably when I should have been increasing it rather than ditching it. I think a bit more aqua running will be the order of the day to try to address it and I may have to find a way to work that into my ongoing training.
    Killerz wrote: »
    Super report Mark, you really captured the essence of the event. I'm gutted for you that the day didn't work out to target... I don't think there is anything more you could have done - the training was there, the results were there, you have the experience... Unfortunately between the heat and the hips, there was nothing you could do.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the experience after cutting the losses and sounds like you had a blast nonetheless. Well done.

Thanks J. I have to say that some of your words of wisdom and the passion that Mrs Killerz and you have always expressed when talking about this event played a part in my decision to lift the head and taking it all in.

I think you'll find that that's what Mrs Mc said....what I said was "yeah, she doing the marathon she just doesn't know it yet!"
    for now.... :p:p she'd make a great addition and we need more wimminz :D

Speak for yourself......I live in a house with 3 wimminz so that more that enough for me, thanks.

Good one ! Yes board was referred to as 'get off that bloody boards' in our house then oh how the mighty have fallen.... Eats her words .... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Nice report. Glad you lifted the head to soak up the atmosphere. I said to Paddy at the start line that it's such a privilege to be running in the race, being healthy enough to take part and how lucky we are. Gunning for a time keeps us motivated but there are some days when just being part of a special event is reward enough. Enjoy the recovery.

Cheers Paulie. Good points well made. I hope you are recovering well yourself. What's next on your agenda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Cheers Paulie. Good points well made. I hope you are recovering well yourself. What's next on your agenda?

Another week drinking instead of running then a plan for an August marathon - Longford looking the most likely option as I probably won't get a pass to travel with baby number 4 due in September :)

• Advertisement

Another week drinking instead of running then a plan for an August marathon - Longford looking the most likely option as I probably won't get a pass to travel with baby number 4 due in September :)

Good luck with that and with the arrival of number 4

19/04/2016 to 30/04/2016 Rest

Took a full week off running last week and based on Physio advise yesterday I will be taking the rest of this week off too.

Basic recover going well and the DOMS was all cleared up by Wed/Thurs but hips flexors still stiff in particular when seating at my desk. I had decided on no running until after Physio visit and earliest one I could get was yesterday. She throw some needles into the hammer and although extremely painful, I actually limped back to the car, I can feel the benefits this morning. This is most definitely my prefered option for that type of injury as it give much more immediate relief. On the hip front she was a little baffled about what triggered both hips on the day. If it was the left one she would have put it down to the hammer issue. She pushed and pulled at the joints and thinks it might be down to the joint itself with the hip flexors triggering to protect the joint which appeared not to like being pushed into flexion. Seating on long haul flights, buses, etc combined with using a shorter stride in the downhill miles to help control speed and leaning slightly forward on the uphill are likely to have been the straws here.

So she gave me some exercises for now with a focus on getting my glutes going properly to encourage better bio-mechanics that would take the strain off the hip joints thus not triggering the flexors to protect the joints. No running for this week and a recommendation to avoid hills for the next 6 to 8 weeks.

The real message here is that I need to do more S&C work if I am going to stay at this marathoning lark :)

19/04/2016 to 30/04/2016 Rest

Took a full week off running last week and based on Physio advise yesterday I will be taking the rest of this week off too.

Basic recover going well and the DOMS was all cleared up by Wed/Thurs but hips flexors still stiff in particular when seating at my desk. I had decided on no running until after Physio visit and earliest one I could get was yesterday. She throw some needles into the hammer and although extremely painful, I actually limped back to the car, I can feel the benefits this morning. This is most definitely my prefered option for that type of injury as it give much more immediate relief. On the hip front she was a little baffled about what triggered both hips on the day. If it was the left one she would have put it down to the hammer issue. She pushed and pulled at the joints and thinks it might be down to the joint itself with the hip flexors triggering to protect the joint which appeared not to like being pushed into flexion. Seating on long haul flights, buses, etc combined with using a shorter stride in the downhill miles to help control speed and leaning slightly forward on the uphill are likely to have been the straws here.

So she gave me some exercises for now with a focus on getting my glutes going properly to encourage better bio-mechanics that would take the strain off the hip joints thus not triggering the flexors to protect the joints. No running for this week and a recommendation to avoid hills for the next 6 to 8 weeks.

The real message here is that I need to do more S&C work if I am going to stay at this marathoning lark :)

Should have look a T Runnner log, does lots of glute and hip work, for mountain
    running may pick up something. Hopefully all can be sorted with bit of rest and
    Rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Got to listen to the experts M - glad to hear the recovery is going well and delighted to see you salvaged some enjoyment out of the rough day in Boston. No point in patronising you about toughing it out or whatever, you've a savage block of training under the belt now...get recovered and you'll be in a great position to take advantage of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Duanington wrote: »
    Got to listen to the experts M - glad to hear the recovery is going well and delighted to see you salvaged some enjoyment out of the rough day in Boston. No point in patronising you about toughing it out or whatever, you've a savage block of training under the belt now...get recovered and you'll be in a great position to take advantage of it

Still catching up, how is it nearly 10 days already - whoops. Duanington's post summed it up pretty well. Sorry to hear you didn't get the result you had hoped for, from following the tracker it seemed a tough day. Hope the hips are on the mend soon and as I said to other D of the Murph variety too that training will stand to you.

29/04/2016 Friday 4.7m @ 08:45 avg pace (Recovery on Grass)

First run since Boston. Legs had felt very fresh during the week and I was itching to get out. But had decided to leave it until after my planned sports massage early this morning. She battered the crap out of my legs and when I did get out this evening quads felt like they had been through the mill. On the positive side no problem with the hips and only time they are giving me any issue at the moment is when I am driving or seating at my desk.

Lovely evening out there and glad to be back at it. Next up 26min pacing in St Anne's in the morning. Sticking with the take it handy theme for a little while longer.

I got a standing desk at work recently, link here you can raise or lower it to sit and stand, best thing ever for my hips! Can't believe the difference its making & just goes to show the damage sitting all day every day for years is doing...

I got a standing desk at work recently, link here you can raise or lower it to sit and stand, best thing ever for my hips! Can't believe the difference its making & just goes to show the damage sitting all day every day for years is doing...

They look pretty cool. You must be working in the public service or be a very valued employee if the Boss shelled out for one of those. My boss is a right tight git so let me know if you see them come up any time soon in Aldi or Lidl :)

They look pretty cool. You must be working in the public service or be a very valued employee if the Boss shelled out for one of those. My boss is a right tight git so let me know if you see them come up any time soon in Aldi or Lidl :)

Don't be so PC M, it's cause she's old!!

• Advertisement

they're pretty good value compared to the fully made standing desks - mine was donated so yes, very lucky to get it.

Don't be so PC M, it's cause she's old!!

Can we all join in this STD project??!! and yes B, I know you were only joking, but thanks for clarifying :p

Can we all join in this STD project??!! and yes B, I know you were only joking, but thanks for clarifying :p

Jesus for the next while my name and STD are going to mentioned far to often in the same sentence!!!

Jesus for the next while my name and STD are going to mentioned far to often in the same sentence!!!

Blast from the past for you, B :D

Blast from the past for you, B :D

No need to bulk buy Jeyes Fluid anymore alright M!!!

30/04/2016 Saturday St Anne's parkrun 26min pacing (25:55)

Pacing Saturday in St Anne's today. Signed up for 26mins to allow me do my bit while still staying with the take it handy theme. Another great turnout and enjoyable morning's work. Murph was on volunteer duty while Yaboya and Mrs Mc joined the pacing team with Mrs Mc made her debut. Great job done to all. Coffee and catch up after with Yaboya, Ferris, Murph and Laura.

That's it for the R&R. Back on the road from tomorrow.

All going well I will toe the line in Terenure on the 15th. After that I am signed up as part of a 4 person relay team assembled and Captained by Mrs Killerz for the Belfast 24 at the end of June. Should be a bit of craic. More about that later :)

• Advertisement

Good luck tomorrow M, don't stay to close to AMK that St Tropez is a hoor to get off when it runs from sweating!! Run well.

Best luck with pacing gig tomorrow.

The very best for tomorrow M! you won't have time to enjoy it'll be over that fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Enjoy tomorrows run M.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow !

• Advertisement
Advertisement