Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck M - hope it all holds together. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Lovely day out there but not one of my finer moments.....31:2x (didn't bother checking the official results)

2 good miles then jogged it in as things started to go downhill rapidly. Mind and body said no. Considered pulling the plug after first lap but opted for just easy run home instead. The words of a friend I had met beforehand came to mind. He said he hadn't been training much and considered not starting when one of his mates told him to go out and do it that if nothing else the public shaming would help get him back training properly. So that my public shaming out of the way. Now to get back training properly. All easy running and two week of rehab in Croatia in June leading up to 24hr relay in Belfast after that I will regroup and decide on the target for the second half of the year.

Great turnout with plenty of boardies and parkrunners to catch up with. Didn't hear of too many PBs but there were some stellar performances in hot conditions from Duanington and AMK among others. And as always there was great support on the sideline from KennyG, Murph and Aquinn. Cheers Folks.

Well organised and supported event. Thanks to all involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hard luck M, nice positive way to look at it though. One of those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Lovely day out there but not one of my finer moments.....31:2x (didn't bother checking the official results)

2 good miles then jogged it in as things started to go downhill rapidly. Mind and body said no. Considered pulling the plug after first lap but opted for just easy run home instead. The words of a friend I had met beforehand came to mind. He said he hadn't been training much and considered not starting when one of his mates told him to go out and do it that if nothing else the public shaming would help get him back training properly. So that my public shaming out of the way. Now to get back training properly. All easy running and two week of rehab in Croatia in June leading up to 24hr relay in Belfast after that I will regroup and decide on the target for the second half of the year.

Great turnout with plenty of boardies and parkrunners to catch up with. Didn't hear of too many PBs but there were some stellar performances in hot conditions from Duanington and AMK among others. And as always there was great support on the sideline from KennyG, Murph and Aquinn. Cheers Folks.

Well organised and supported event. Thanks to all involved!

Sounds like a similar day as myself.

Can't win them all and if it lit the fire under you again then the race served a purpose and positives can be drawn from the outcome rather than the race itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Was a tough day all round from what I'm hearing. Rehab in Croatia sounds nice !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Funny I said to Gill you look like you where jogging at the end of that, now to
    get back to full fitness and find suitable target. Felt exactly same few weeks
    back, but things change quickly onwards we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sorry it didn't go well, M, but you are philosophical as always....

... public shaming... For 32 min 5mile... Hardly!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

annapr wrote: »

True. Not exactly a Cersei Lannister "walk of atonement".

https://youtu.be/d28NWseRua8

Get the old bod back in order and enjoy the recovery. A shame not to have gotten more from such a good cycle - but there'll always be Ballycotton!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done on the bigger picture conclusion and on finishing what you started today.

I was beaten by over a minute by AMK If that's not public shaming I don't know what is :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I was beaten by over a minute by AMK If that's not public shaming I don't know what is :D:D

I'd of probably broke 30 had I not stayed with you for a bit to try to motivate you :p

I'd of probably broke 30 had I not stayed with you for a bit to try to motivate you :p

Actually I did feel a little bit bad about that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Wise move yesterday M, bigger picture is always the important one in this game. Good to get the run in all the same.

Mon, 16/05/2016 | Rest | | | 60mins Pilates Class
    Tue, 17/05/2016 | Recovery (Grass where possible w/strides) | 36:38:00 | 4.1 mi | 90mins Yoga/Pilates Class
    Wed, 18/05/2016 | Recovery (Grass) | 00:52:43 | 5.5 mi
    Thu, 19/05/2016 | Recovery (Grass) | 00:56:17 | 6.1 mi | 60mins Pilates Class
    Fri, 20/05/2016 | GA (Easy) | 01:18:33 | 8.6 mi
    Sat, 21/05/2016 | MLR (Easy) | 01:46:40 | 13.2 mi | Myrtl & Strengthening Exercises
    Sun, 22/05/2016 | Recovery (Grass w/Strides) | 00:52:31 | 5.8 mi | Standing Myrtl

Pretty much all easy/slow running this week. Have moved to doing as much of my running as possible on grass to lighten the load on the joints. I also added in some decent rehab S&C sessions and I am feeling some benefit from these.

All the easy running around St Anne's gave me plenty of time to think this week and one thing that came to mind is how remiss I now am about my diet and hydration. When I first started running back in 2011 I was anal about fuelling my runs and my recovery correctly. I always hydrated and fuelled during long runs, had my recovery shake straight afterwards and ate in the 20/30mins period post run to ensure my recovery was as good as possible. Back then I was probably a little OTT as it was all new to me now I am probably far too flippant about it and this probably a factor in my muscles not building resilience to the training that I have been doing. I am not saying I need to go back to gels every 5 miles or anything like that but I do need to pay more attention to my post run routine and ensure I give my body the necessary tools to repair itself.

There was a very good interview on MT a few months ago with the nutritionist for the British Olympic team who also works with Arsenal about different type of fuelling for different types of workout and different desire outcomes. I will be digging it out and doing a bit more research in that space. In the meantime I will go back to increasing my protein intake post workout as a starting point.

Anyone got any views or useful advice in the whole area of appropriate nutrition for a runner doing 50/60mpw please feel free to share it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Skittles :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Skittles of course....

And just from listening to coachy advising the marathoners: try not to exclude any thing to any extreme; cut out sugar; rehydrate using electrolyte tabs post- long run; keep it nutrient dense and overall, your aim is to stay healthy. When he's back from his annual skive, I'll pick his brains some more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I know people will probably slate me for this with the nothing beats food thing but when I'm on my best behavior, I get a recovery drink into me straight after the workout, it absorbs much quicker than food and in that magical window of 30 minutes. You don't want a huge dose of protein straight after a run and the usual guideline is to have something that is 3:1 or 4:1 carbs:protein in the first 30 minutes which is why most recovery drinks will have that ratio, really as soon as possible.

When I get home, I have something like chicken and vegetables in a carby sauce which is when you need that little extra protein usually somewhere between 1-2 hours after the run. I wish I could do that all the time but in a "perfect world, that's what I would do post workout. You'll probably get a million different other approaches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

I think you should just give up running altogether !!! :D How's that for fuelling !!

Skittles :)

TbL

How are they working out for you? :P
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Skittles of course....

And just from listening to coachy advising the marathoners: try not to exclude any thing to any extreme; cut out sugar; rehydrate using electrolyte tabs post- long run; keep it nutrient dense and overall, your aim is to stay healthy. When he's back from his annual skive, I'll pick his brains some more :)

Thanks DG. All or any information you manage to pick from his brains would be much appreciated.
    El Caballo wrote: »
    I know people will probably slate me for this with the nothing beats food thing but when I'm on my best behavior, I get a recovery drink into me straight after the workout, it absorbs much quicker than food and in that magical window of 30 minutes. You don't want a huge dose of protein straight after a run and the usual guideline is to have something that is 3:1 or 4:1 carbs:protein in the first 30 minutes which is why most recovery drinks will have that ratio, really as soon as possible.

When I get home, I have something like chicken and vegetables in a carby sauce which is when you need that little extra protein usually somewhere between 1-2 hours after the run. I wish I could do that all the time but in a "perfect world, that's what I would do post workout. You'll probably get a million different other approaches though.

Sound a lot like where I used to be, EC but dropped it in the name of what I thought was progress :rolleyes: Instead I probably spent large chunks of the last two years training hard breaking down muscle etc. and not given it enough to replenish and build when it needed it most.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    I think you should just give up running altogether !!! :D How's that for fuelling !!

If nothing else it will fuel my mojo to keep running long in the future :D

• Advertisement

its a good topic that I've thought about a lot recently as my mileage is currently 55+ and will go to 70+ in the coming months.

Some simple changes I've made recently;

* I tailor my dinners to suit my running schedule (e.g. when to eat salads v when to eat carbs)
    * I'm a big believer in 2 breakfasts each day :) Porridge at 7 / eggs at 9.
    * I add protein to my porridge or take the new Weetabix protein.
    * Chocolate milk after a workout/long run - gives me time to have a shower or get home before that 'golden window' closes.
    * I don't run every long run on 'empty' - just some of them.
    * less sugar - although this is difficult.

I'd love some more insights. This would be a good thread on the main page for some wider input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nutrition is something that I've just gotten into the habit of taking care of as the mileage has gone up over the last 12-18 months....while simultaneously pi$$ing of family\friends\GF !

You're probably already well versed on all of this M and most of it is common sense but on the off chance that you might pick up something:

I eat fruit, not dessert or sweets ( much to my GF's annoyance)
    I only run once per week on empty ( ideally I'd do this on my long run but can't because of the timing), usually my Saturday morning session is run on empty.
    I would normally have a post session smoothie with fruit, peanut butter and a bit of whey - I know people say its a waste of money but I do find the whey makes a difference. ( I only use it after sessions though)
    I snack a lot - fruit, berries, nuts, peanut butter on apple slices\bananas.
    I would usually carry a bottle of water around with me in work, sipping on it throughout the day but not guzzling gallons of the stuff either
    I try to eat veg with every meal and cook most things in bulk on a Sunday so I can just take it out of the fridge during the week.
    I carry fruit and home-made protein\porridge\flapjack bars around with me a lot of the time :o ( they're lovely though, the kids are even starting to like them)
    I eat lots of eggs ...similar to AMK, a second breakfast and again maybe an hour before going to bed.
    Homemade pasta dishes, curries, lasagna, stew are the staple of my diet but I do go crazy and get the odd takeaway...a little, sometimes.

If I'm hungry , I eat, I'm always mindful that with 60+ miles each week, the body is usually trying to recover and rebuild...if that means grabbing a sandwich at a garage because I forgot to bring food then so be it.

Wholegrains, fruits, nuts, lean meats, potatoes, veg, porridge, eggs, seeds, coconut oil for cooking...prepare as much as I can in bulk...eat lots and lots of it....water and tea....that kind of sums it up really

EDIT - real peanut butter by the way, not that salty panda $hite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

anyone want to start a thread on the main forum?! lots of good advice to be swapped around no doubt

+ 1 to the real peanut butter or this for better control on salt/sugar ratios..

500g raw peanuts, preferably skin-on
    1 tbsp groundnut oil, preferably the semi-refined Chinese variety
    ½ tsp salt, or to taste
    1 tbsp honey, or to taste

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark four and spread the nuts out in one layer on a baking tray. Roast for about 10-20 minutes until evenly browned. Allow to cool completely.

Whiz in a food processor to coarse crumbs then, if making crunchy peanut butter, scoop out a quarter and set aside.

With the motor running, add the oil, then whiz again, pausing to scrape down the sides if necessary, until you have a smooth, creamy texture. Add any flavourings and taste, then stir in the reserved nuts and spoon into a jar. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Duanington wrote: »
    Nutrition is something that I've just gotten into the habit of taking care of as the mileage has gone up over the last 12-18 months....while simultaneously pi$$ing of family\friends\GF !

You're probably already well versed on all of this M and most of it is common sense but on the off chance that you might pick up something:

I eat fruit, not dessert or sweets ( much to my GF's annoyance)
    I only run once per week on empty ( ideally I'd do this on my long run but can't because of the timing), usually my Saturday morning session is run on empty.
    I would normally have a post session smoothie with fruit, peanut butter and a bit of whey - I know people say its a waste of money but I do find the whey makes a difference. ( I only use it after sessions though)
    I snack a lot - fruit, berries, nuts, peanut butter on apple slices\bananas.
    I would usually carry a bottle of water around with me in work, sipping on it throughout the day but not guzzling gallons of the stuff either
    I try to eat veg with every meal and cook most things in bulk on a Sunday so I can just take it out of the fridge during the week.
    I carry fruit and home-made protein\porridge\flapjack bars around with me a lot of the time :o ( they're lovely though, the kids are even starting to like them)
    I eat lots of eggs ...similar to AMK, a second breakfast and again maybe an hour before going to bed.
    Homemade pasta dishes, curries, lasagna, stew are the staple of my diet but I do go crazy and get the odd takeaway...a little, sometimes.

If I'm hungry , I eat, I'm always mindful that with 60+ miles each week, the body is usually trying to recover and rebuild...if that means grabbing a sandwich at a garage because I forgot to bring food then so be it.

Wholegrains, fruits, nuts, lean meats, potatoes, veg, porridge, eggs, seeds, coconut oil for cooking...prepare as much as I can in bulk...eat lots and lots of it....water and tea....that kind of sums it up really

EDIT - real peanut butter by the way, not that salty panda $hite

Great post there that sums it up.

Only thing I'd add there is Greek Yogurt/natural yogurt and cottage/feta cheese. all full fat varieties. Some people may turn their noses up at these but after a few days the taste buds adjust and there is nothing nicer for dessert than fresh fruit & Greek yogurt with a few nuts &/seeds sprinkled on top.

Quinoa is another great protein source that you can add to any meal/salad

Oatcakes is another great find for me and i use them for snacks every day (2 per portion) with cottage cheese/hummus or peanut butter/almond butter etc on them.

If you can get your hands on any of the Cook books especially by athletes themselves (Derval O Rourkes & David Gillics are good) or any of the "Clean eating" books there are some great recipes in them.

Cutting out sugar is tough for about 3 - 4 days and after that you are full of energy. Definitely worth doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Younganne wrote: »

Cutting out sugar is tough for about 3 - 4 days and after that you are full of energy. Definitely worth doing!

It depends a bit on how far into the abyss you've gone as to how long it takes to get out. After a few false starts I more or less cut our refined sugar from my diet about 18 months ago. The bit that got me over the edge was cutting out fruit. It acted like a gateway drug for me. I made exceptions at Christmas and special occasions e.g. weddings. When I first cut it out it took a couple of months for the cravings to subside to the point where I wasn't craving it every day and on those occasions where I do consume sugar even if I don't overdo it by conventional standards it takes about 10 days for my body to settle down again.

I've started eating an apple a day recently but as a general rule of thumb I think that vegetables are a much better option than fruit. It's my impression that they have a wider variety of vitamins and minerals.

Otherwise I think that aiming to eat high quality food is a pretty good principle, the less processed the better. I think that the 20-30 minute window is good to observe if you're in heavy training but otherwise I wouldn't get too hung up about it.

Clearlier wrote: »
    The bit that got me over the edge was cutting out fruit.

This is the confusing bit for me and I've not heard any 'proper' advice around the subject of fruit.
    Surely the benefits of fruit outweigh the natural occurring sugars??

• Advertisement

This is the confusing bit for me and I've not heard any 'proper' advice around the subject of fruit.

My understanding of this is that sugar is sugar, the body doesn't know whether you're eating an apple or a bar of chocolate in that respect. Yes the apple contains other nutrients and fiber etc that the chocolate doesn't but clierlier is right, veg is a much better option. I try (and sometime succeed!) to eat 10 portions of 'fruit & veg' a day, only two of 10 are fruit, a baby apple (the bag of fun size ones you can get) and a mandrain orange. Its still sugar and while I continue to do this I'm not eating clean. Of course the chocolate I eat at the weekend is a complete disaster :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I can't really go into the science behind (at least not without sounding stupid!) but (for me in my experience and experiment of one) the sugar that I got from fruit lead to an overwhelming desire for other sugars and before I knew it the chocolate/ice-cream etc. was being demolished. I found it much easier to resist when I also cut out fruit.

I do think that a small amount of fruit is probably a good thing to eat hence why I've started eating apples again but when I chose to cut it out the choices that I felt I had were fruit + a half kilo of chocolate, tub of Ben & Jerry's and a pack of biscuits or none of it so I tried none of it and it worked for me. It absolutely might not be appropriate or work for others but I thought that I'd highlight that sugar cravings can last for more than 3-4 days just in case anyone trying it got disheartened after those 3 or 4 days and thought that the cravings would never go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Clearlier wrote: »
    I can't really go into the science behind (at least not without sounding stupid!) but (for me in my experience and experiment of one) the sugar that I got from fruit lead to an overwhelming desire for other sugars and before I knew it the chocolate/ice-cream etc. was being demolished. I found it much easier to resist when I also cut out fruit.

I do think that a small amount of fruit is probably a good thing to eat hence why I've started eating apples again but when I chose to cut it out the choices that I felt I had were fruit + a half kilo of chocolate, tub of Ben & Jerry's and a pack of biscuits or none of it so I tried none of it and it worked for me. It absolutely might not be appropriate or work for others but I thought that I'd highlight that sugar cravings can last for more than 3-4 days just in case anyone trying it got disheartened after those 3 or 4 days and thought that the cravings would never go away.

Dr. Eva Orsmond was on with Marian Finucane at the weekend and she recommended no more than two portions of fruit a day due to the Fructose. She did recommend vegetables with every meal though.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback so far, Folks. There is a lot of good stuff in it. The core items I will take from it straight away are to cut out the sh*t (sorry TbL that includes Skittles :p) and don't let the "magic" window close without give the body something to help recovery.

I am a self confessed chocoholic and do some fair damage on the caffeine front too.....well you can't have one without the other it just wouldn't be right.

So in the context of baby steps the first thing I will address is the post-run routine and the double breakfast option. The low hanging fruit per say. Next I will focus on rebalancing the diet and minimising or if needs be dumping the junk.

My youngest has just received a copy of Roz Purcell's Book"Natural Born Feeder" for her birthday so I am pretty sure my diet in about to be changed for me anyway.

It would indeed be good to get a wider discussion going on this and I will look into it this eve. If a wider discussion does get going but gets derailed as can happen sometimes feel free to come back here with any views, ideas or using tips on this topic.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback so far, Folks. There is a lot of good stuff in it. The core items I will take from it straight away are to cut out the sh*t (sorry TbL that includes Skittles :p) and don't let the "magic" window close without give the body something to help recovery.

I am a self confessed chocoholic and do some fair damage on the caffeine front too.....well you can't have one without the other it just wouldn't be right.

So in the context of baby steps the first thing I will address is the post-run routine and the double breakfast option. The low hanging fruit per say. Next I will focus on rebalancing the diet and minimising or if needs be dumping the junk.

My youngest has just received a copy of Roz Purcell's Book"Natural Born Feeder" for her birthday so I am pretty sure my diet in about to be changed for me anyway.

It would indeed be good to get a wider discussion going on this and I will look into it this eve. If a wider discussion does get going but gets derailed as can happen sometimes feel free to come back here with any views, ideas or using tips on this topic.

There a great post here regarding starting point for nutrient dense types of foods

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63214469&postcount=26

Start trying to focus on doing small things right and the rest will fall into place.

This is also a great recipe generator for simple idea's to keep things fresh

https://www.eatthismuch.com/

• Advertisement

Depends on the goal

If you are looking for the vitamins etc to balance your diet then yes.

If you are looking from a weight loss perspective spiking blood sugars will cause cravings so should probably be avoided and the vitamins supplemented.

Personally I can't snack on fruit because I end up just as hungry or worse. Tend to have my fruit as part of a meal ( with porridge in morning and a bit of protein, as a smoothie with protein or with a wrap etc at lunch)

Here's an article for those interested about the benefits of eating fruit, despite the fructose content ... the real danger is 'fruit drinks' or juice which has the sugar without the fibre etc.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?_r=0

The best food advice I ever came across is from Michael Pollan, who writes about eating food your granny would recognise as food, etc.

He sums it up in seven words: Eat food*, not too much, mostly plants.

*i.e., real food... anything you buy with more than 4 ingredients on the label he doesn't count as food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

God I'm starving reading all that !

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    God I'm starving reading all that !

Off to binge on junk food and coke :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Off to binge on junk food and coke :p

I went for a curly wurly myself. No great shock that Wed weigh-in didn't go so well. Another lb gained.

aquinn wrote: »
    I went for a curly wurly myself. No great shock that Wed weigh-in didn't go so well. Another lb gained.

You just homed in on the wrong post, A. Wednesday weigh-in went fine here after my Quinoa Pizza last night :)

You just homed in on the wrong post, A. Wednesday weigh-in went fine here after my Quinoa Pizza last night :)

Recipe?! I can't cook that bloody stuff, have tried and always make a pigs ear of it... more practice perhaps!

Firedance wrote: »
    Recipe?! I can't cook that bloody stuff, have tried and always make a pigs ear of it... more practice perhaps!

put less water than it states on the packet, and add spices to give it more flavour, I love it cold with salads!!:p and i use it as replacement for pasta or rice sometimes

most of Roz Purcels recipes are available on naturalbornfeeder.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

If people refuel with chocolate milk (delicious!) after a long run, do they then cut that amount of calories out of the next meal? I feel when I have something like that straight after a run (rarely, as I only have it after long runs and I haven't done a long run in ages :(), that I just eat as normal after as well, so maybe that's too many extra calories.
    Also, when people say 'avoid sugar', does that mean reading the labels of everything (cereals / cream crackers / oatcakes etc) or just avoiding obviously sugary things like sweet treats / sugary cereals / tomato sauce in a jar etc?
    I get v anxious when I think about needing to stick to a strict running diet and watch everything I eat, but what FBOT is saying about repairing muscles etc makes sense, and probably helps prevent injury, so maybe I'll start doing it ...
    FBOT - I presume your diet questions / ruminations above are about trying to eat enough calories / good calories because you run so much. Any tips for making sure someone isn't eating too much, while still not being too hungry to run (so the opposite question to yours, really)? (PS I am not giving up my post-parkrun scone!!)

Younganne wrote: »
    put less water than it states on the packet, and add spices to give it more flavour, I love it cold with salads!!:p and i use it as replacement for pasta or rice sometimes

most of Roz Purcels recipes are available on naturalbornfeeder.com

PS I love quinoa too. It's so filling! David Gillick came to my house and showed me how to make it.

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    PS I love quinoa too. It's so filling! David Gillick came to my house and showed me how to make it.

Look at you and "me mate Dave dropped in to help me with me cooking".....name dropper :p

Look at you and "me mate Dave dropped in to help me with me cooking".....name dropper :p

And not even a tip for the rest of us either!!!

If people refuel with chocolate milk (delicious!) after a long run, do they then cut that amount of calories out of the next meal? I feel when I have something like that straight after a run (rarely, as I only have it after long runs and I haven't done a long run in ages :(), that I just eat as normal after as well, so maybe that's too many extra calories.
    Also, when people say 'avoid sugar', does that mean reading the labels of everything (cereals / cream crackers / oatcakes etc) or just avoiding obviously sugary things like sweet treats / sugary cereals / tomato sauce in a jar etc?
    I get v anxious when I think about needing to stick to a strict running diet and watch everything I eat, but what FBOT is saying about repairing muscles etc makes sense, and probably helps prevent injury, so maybe I'll start doing it ...
    FBOT - I presume your diet questions / ruminations above are about trying to eat enough calories / good calories because you run so much. Any tips for making sure someone isn't eating too much, while still not being too hungry to run (so the opposite question to yours, really)? (PS I am not giving up my post-parkrun scone!!)

I don't know anyone who is training pretty regularly that eats too much it is usually the other way around. I would certainly not calorie count or label check and the big issue for me is to get the right mix and cut out the crap.

I would certainly not reduce due to any post run recovery drinks or snacks as I would generally need them and more.

As an overall check I do a Wednesday weigh in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I have the results of a study somewhere, they concluded a glass of milk (normal) and a banana performed no worse than flavored milk or any fancy recovery drinks. Come in off your long run banana and milk down the hatch into the shower, no messing with shakes or trying to hide chocolate milk from the kids. "No kids thats daddy's special drink".

I don't know anyone who is training pretty regularly that eats too much it is usually the other way around. I would certainly not calorie count or label check and the big issue for me is to get the right mix and cut out the crap.

I would certainly not reduce due to any post run recovery drinks or snacks as I would generally need them and more.

As an overall check I do a Wednesday weigh in ;)

Well, my downfall is big portions I think. I need to eat a bit less so there's less of me to drag up hills / lift out of the sucking muck of xc etc 😀. My one concession to watching what I eat at the moment is avoiding the biscuit tin in work, but my weekly weigh ins are telling me I went a bit mad on holidays in France, so I am trying to cut back a bit, but suppose I should still eat something after a run. How soon would you eat after a speed session where the actual mileage isn't high but the effort is? Straight away or wait till you get home / cook dinner etc?
    Also, none of you are getting my David Gillick tips - I won them fair and square!! (Only joking, ask me for his tips on anything and I will try to remember).

rooneyjm wrote: »
    I have the results of a study somewhere, they concluded a glass of milk (normal) and a banana performed no worse than flavored milk or any fancy recovery drinks. Come in off your long run banana and milk down the hatch into the shower, no messing with shakes or trying to hide chocolate milk from the kids. "No kids thats daddy's special drink".

Sadly I hate milk, but love choc milk!! But usually I just have a yoghurt. All my choc milk talk is just wishful thinking.

rooneyjm wrote: »

Cheers RJM. Funny you said that as that is actually what I have started back doing since last week after sessions and long runs.

I remember when I was teenager and doing some gym work we used to drink milk as a recovery on the basis that it had all you needed and if you wanted to add a bit of extra kick into it you would break in a raw egg and throw a spoonful of sugar. Simple but affective.

PS....obviously I am not recommending the sugar bit :o

Sadly I hate milk, but love choc milk!! But usually I just have a yoghurt. All my choc milk talk is just wishful thinking.

Add some mixed nuts to that yoghurt and Bob's your uncle .

Current advice is protein within 20 mins of hard session or long run

Well, my downfall is big portions I think. I need to eat a bit less so there's less of me to drag up hills / lift out of the sucking muck of xc etc 😀. My one concession to watching what I eat at the moment is avoiding the biscuit tin in work, but my weekly weigh ins are telling me I went a bit mad on holidays in France, so I am trying to cut back a bit, but suppose I should still eat something after a run. How soon would you eat after a speed session where the actual mileage isn't high but the effort is? Straight away or wait till you get home / cook dinner etc?
    Also, none of you are getting my David Gillick tips - I won them fair and square!! (Only joking, ask me for his tips on anything and I will try to remember).

To help reduce my portion sizes, I moved to a smaller plate. its simple but effective. The mind is a funny thing, full (smaller) plate registers full belly, half filled big dinner plate registers not enough food, go for more!

I always have a banana after a session and long runs with some peanut butter on an oatcake!! Then shower & then usually eggs of some sort!!

• Advertisement

It’s been a while since I updated but there has been little to report. With the Belfast 24hr relay being next on my agenda at the end of June I have been happy out just getting in plenty of easy runs with as many as possible on grass. While hips are far from sorted they don’t complain too much when I keep the pace easy and the run duration below 2 hrs. I have been running consistently but have not been as dedicated as I need to be with the exercises. This remains a key limiter for me.

Belfast 24 will involving running 3x2hr legs during the 24hrs with 6hr breaks between each. To train for this I decided I should be doing as many double days as possible to get the body used to a quicker turnaround between runs than has been the norm in the past.

w/c 23/05/2016

Total Miles : 74.2m
    Number of double days : 5
    Number of rest days : 1
    Longest single run : 12.8m

One session in the Company of Ferris and Murph. 10m including 3x1m at 10m pace (06:11/06:11/06:03). This session should have been 5k pace but was happy enough not to force it and just went with comfortable hard.

w/c 30/5/2016

Total Miles : 64.1m
    Number of double days : 4
    Longest single run : 15.1m

St Anne’s parkrun on Saturday 4th turned out to be my “session” for this week. Ran it as a progression run with a target of mile 1 Sub 8, mile 2 Sub 7 and mile 3 sub 6. Mile 1 was fine at 07:31 and mile 2 came in at 06:58 so just had a sub 6 to deliver. Wasn’t feeling the love for this until with about 800 to go I spotted Killerz up ahead pushing the double buggy. I hadn’t seen him beforehand and didn’t know that he was running but now that I saw him I couldn’t just sit back  There was going to no glory on beating him after all he was pushing twins in a double buggy and probably had 10m done before parkrun but there would be plenty of stick on offer if I was that close and didn’t. Not leaving anything to chance I hit the accelerated and passed him at pace before the final hill. If you are going to do it you might as well as get on with it. I never looked back or taught about taking my foot of the accelerator as buggy or no buggy if he had have been in touching distance of me after the hill he’d have been a hard man to beat…….so no glory but no stick and a decent workout ;)

Finish off the week with the first of the holiday runs in Croatia.

w/c 6/6/2016 (Holidays in Croatia)

Total Miles : 51.6m
    Number of double days : 2
    Longest single run : 12m

All in all not a bad week for a holiday week with daytime temperatures in the high 20s every day. Some lovely runs in some lovely place. All easy and mostly enjoyable ;) There were day that the heat really sucked the life out of me and even with AC sleep was less than ideal but sure that holidays for you!!!

Advertisement