Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Couple of solid weeks there, mileage wise, Mark. Of course that would have counted for nothing if you had been buggied :p

Hope the hols were enjoyable and all that good work hasn't been undone :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Killerz wrote: »
    Couple of solid weeks there, mileage wise, Mark. Of course that would have counted for nothing if you had been buggied :p

Hope the hols were enjoyable and all that good work hasn't been undone :eek:

Even worse, double buggied!!!! :eek:

annapr wrote: »
    Even worse, double buggied!!!! :eek:

The shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

The shame!

Stop, it could happen to any of us, sob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

w/c 13/06/2016

Total Miles : 62.3m
    Number of double days : 4
    Number of rest days : 1
    Longest single run : 10.3m

Returned home on Tuesday to much more acceptable temperatures and much pleasant running conditions. Another solid week just keeping it all very easy. Main runs of this week where post midnight run on Thursday and 2 decent MLR's in the company of Ferris on Saturday and Duanington this evening. Nice distraction to be able to chat away and certainly helped keep the mind off the hip pain which remains a constant at the moment....mild but consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

aquinn wrote: »
    Stop, it could happen to any of us, sob.

It's happened to me (I think, or were they the single buggy days?). Either way, there were two kids in there. In fact I think I invented the term "buggied" on the day. #fame

FBOT01 wrote: »
    w/c 13/06/2016

Total Miles : 62.3m
    Number of double days : 4
    Longest single run : 10.3m

Returned home on Tuesday to much more acceptable temperatures and much pleasant running conditions. Another solid week just keeping it all very easy. Main runs of this week where post midnight run on Thursday and 2 decent MLR's in the company of Ferris on Saturday and Duanington this evening. Nice distraction to be able to chat away and certainly helped keep the mind off the hip pain which remains a constant at the moment....mild but consistent.

According to the Mrs, diphene is your friend. Rules permitting, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Murph_D wrote: »

Horrific side effects though so be warned. I nearly died post-op, nearly died!

aquinn wrote: »
    Horrific side effects though so be warned. I nearly died post-op, nearly died!

Plan is to run medication free but you never know when it gets around to my third slot that may change ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Plan is to run medication free but you never know when it gets around to my third slot that may change ;)

"...your third slot", you'll need a suppository for that :)

TbL

• Advertisement

After a very busy week/weekend I eventually sat down on Sunday night just after 10pm, I was completely focked and proceeded to fall asleep on the couch and remained there uninterrupted for 2hrs before dragging myself upstairs to bed.........perfect ending to Father's Day :D

After a couple of great night's sleep my RHR was back down to 50 this morning from 64 on Sunday morning. Not quite the average of 46 which holidays brought but it will do. Plan for this week will be as much rest as possible with plenty of S&C/Rehab thrown in. So pilates last night and yoga tonight are a must while running will be optional :)

Then, the weekend will be all about doing my bit for the team in the Belfast 24. I have 3 slots of 2 hrs each 16:00-18:00, 00:00-02:00 and 08:00-10:00. I'll feel like a bit of a fraud in particular doing the third slot when I will be back out fresh after a few hours kip and there will be Lads and Lassies out there just passing the 20hr mark :eek: but its all in the name of a good cause so I will live with it :o

Got our final instruction from Team Captain, Mrs Killerz, this morning and the team talk is set for Belfast before noon on Saturday. After that we just have to run and of course have fun.......:pac::pac:

BTW if you want to know more about the "good cause" bit, you will get the back story on Killerz FB page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

"...your third slot", you'll need a suppository for that :)

TbL

Well I know that we said we would do crew for you but I draw the line at that !!!

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well I know that we said we would do crew for you but I draw the line at that !!!

You don't need to worry KennyG put his hand up for that one at the weekend :eek:

You don't need to worry KennyG put his hand up for that one at the weekend :eek:

Good man G !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck in Belfast! To you and all the crew, looking forward to hearing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

annapr wrote: »
    Good luck in Belfast! To you and all the crew, looking forward to hearing about it.

+1 to that, hope it goes well for you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck and I hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck at the relay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Not sure if you are on your run or sleep leg at this stage M. Give it your best as you always do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Are we getting a Belfast report or what? well done to you and the team!! Hope the ole hips are on the mend now...

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Are we getting a Belfast report or what? well done to you and the team!! Hope the ole hips are on the mend now...

I wish it was a case that all good thing come to those who wait but I think all the good stuff from Belfast in on the logs of the guys and girls who did the "grown ups" event ;)

Will stick up some ramblings later in the week :)

I wish it was a case that all good thing come to those who wait but I think all the good stuff from Belfast in on the logs of the guys and girls who did the "grown ups" event ;)

Will stick up some ramblings later in the week :)

I think anyone that runs for 6 hours over any 24 hour period would have an interesting story to tell. I for one would be interested to know how you managed the recoveries and nutrition between slots, and how difficult/ easy it was to get up to pace again after being off your feet, also was it possible to maintain a reasonably even pace throughout. To do all that, and provide support to other runners was a huge challenge in itself. That's something we haven't got from the 'grown ups' race reports :)

I think anyone that runs for 6 hours over any 24 hour period would have an interesting story to tell. I for one would be interested to know how you managed the recoveries and nutrition between slots, and how difficult/ easy it was to get up to pace again after being off your feet, also was it possible to maintain a reasonably even pace throughout. To do all that, and provide support to other runners was a huge challenge in itself. That's something we haven't got from the 'grown ups' race reports :)

He had his wife taking instructions for black wine gums not orange or red but black !!! on the sideline and 'zero' which to the untrained person would mean nothing but to his fantastic crew it meant I'll have my bottle of water with a zero tablet in it on the next loop and then there was 'plain' which meant just plain water !!!! It was a very difficult job !!! But we got him through it.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    He had his wife taking instructions for black wine gums not orange or red but black !!! on the sideline and 'zero' which to the untrained person would mean nothing but to his fantastic crew it meant I'll have my bottle of water with a zero tablet in it on the next loop and then there was 'plain' which meant just plain water !!!! It was a very difficult job !!! But we got him through it.

Okay , no report needed so :p

It’s been a while yet again since my last update here. Belfast 24hr relay is done and dusted and I am just taking it handy getting back into things apart from a couple of parkruns where I stretched the legs and worked the lungs a little harder.

All still the same with hips as in they don’t complain too much when I keep the pace easy and the run duration below 2 hrs. Have also been carrying a bit of a niggling pain in the left knee since Belfast. This is quad/ITB related and doing some specific stretching on those areas has been yielding positive results.

Started a report on Belfast relay but haven't found the time yet to complete it but decided just to catch up without it so as not to let things here die off completely from neglect

w/c 20/06/2016

Total Miles :
    58.1m
    Number of double days : 2
    Number of rest days : 4
    Longest single run : 15.6m

Handy week with a double day on Tuesday and nothing else until the relay on Saturday/Sunday. The keys stats for me in Belfast are below. Very happy with the way things went and the onsite physio who worked on me between sessions ensured the hips didn't cause me any major issues. He made my weekends running a whole lot more enjoyable than I thought it might be.

On the team front we covered 172 miles and ended up 2nd. Go Mayflies!!

As an event this was a very well run event with a great atmosphere. Well done to all involved. There was a real good feel and positive buzz around it helped to no little degree by the travelling support crew that came from DNS and in particular, Mrs Mc and St Anne's parkrun travelling band which included KennyG and Mrs KennyG. As we all know we had some super performance for loads of Boardies including Killerz, Ososlo, TFB, EdMc and many more. Congrats to all. For me it was a great experience and not a weekend I will forget in a hurry. I owe Killerz and Mrs Killerz (Captain Fantastic) a big thanks for getting me involved.

Belfast - The Stats:
    |Leg 3 (16:00 to 18:00) | Leg 7 (00:00 to 02:00) | Leg 11 (08:00 to 10:00)|
    Duration | 01:52:26 |01:56:22 | 02:02:32 | 05:51:20
    Distance Covered| 15.64 miles |15.64 miles |15.64 miles |47.92miles
    Average Pace| 07:12| 07:26| 07:50

Mile 1 |07:18 |07:39 | 07:36
    Mile 2 |07:18 |07:43 | 07:23
    Mile 3 |07:23 |07:27 | 07:29
    Mile 4 |07:07 |07:28 | 07:32
    Mile 5 |07:17 |07:23 | 07:23
    Mile 6 |07:18 |07:22 | 07:20
    Mile 7 |07:15 |07:26 | 07:21
    Mile 8 |07:11 |07:28 | 07:19
    Mile 9 |07:12 |07:31 | 07:17
    Mile 10 |07:08 |07:27 | 07:30
    Mile 11 |07:09 |07:18 | 07:51
    Mile 12 |07:15 |07:05 | 08:12
    Mile 13 |07:07 |07:30 | 08:33
    Mile 14 |07:05 |07:25 | 09:07
    Mile 15 |07:02 |07:23 | 09:01
    Balance (0.64miles) |06:54 |07:17 | 08:35

w/c 27/6/2016

Total Miles :
    26m
    Number of runs : 4
    Number of double days : 0
    Number of rest days : 3
    Longest single run : 11.8m

Just easing back into it. Mainly easy running around St Anne's. Left knee pain appeared at some stage during each of these runs with the exception of Saturday's parkrun where I did a respectable 20:03.

w/c 4/7/2016

Total Miles :
    30.6m
    Number of run : 4
    Number of rest days : 3
    Longest single run : 13.3m

Similar to last week but managed an 18:45 parkrun on Saturday with a bit of encouragement from Killerz who is coming back very well after his exploit in Belfast. This is probably the last time for a while that I will get the opportunity to finish in front of him at a parkrun so made the effort to make it count ;)

On the what's next front I am pacing 40mins in the 10k at the R&R on 7th August so will need to sharpen things up over the next few weeks. Other than that I have been reading HADD and other HR training stuff and I am thinking of giving it a go for a while. I think it will fit well with the time I need to get the hips and the body in general back in good working order.

Happy days........ just checked and it is actually sub 45mins that I am pacing in R&R so next few weeks won't have to be as sharp as I thought :D

Happy days........ just checked and it is actually sub 45mins that I am pacing in R&R so next few weeks won't have to be as sharp as I thought :D

You can have a few sociables at the Boards Bull Island Run the day before so......

tang1 wrote: »
    You can have a few sociables at the Boards Bull Island Run the day before so......

Would be rude not too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on first place in timed run this morning:)

• Advertisement

First place? swit swoo! nice job. Can you repeat that in two weeks ;)

w/c 11/7/2016

Total Miles : 40.3m
    Number of run : 6
    Number of double days : 1
    Longest single run : 13.8m
    Extras 90mins Yoga Class

There is a pattern emerging here.....another pretty relaxed and easy week finished off with a parkrun blowout on Saturday and "long" run on Sunday. However, this week I managed 6 days running and topped off the week with an 18:39 parkrun in Donabate which was good enough to see me as first finisher. My first first finisher....Go Me :D

After pullng the plug early on Tuesday's lunchtime run with left knee pain I did some good work on the left quad/ITB for a few days that saw the knee pain subside but as I always do as soon as the pain went I stopped doing the exercises. This resulted in a pretty painful finish to Sunday's long run. If I hadn't had Ferris for company to distract me I'd probably have been on the DART home.

NOTE TO SELF keep up the work on the left knee until the end of the month at least even if it feels better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done on the first first M. Good going in a 5k so soon after the relay!

Didn't realise it was your first first. Thought you'd gotten lucky at Poppintree one week but I guess I was wrong. ;) Congrats. An account of the occasion is in order, please. And mind that knee.

Didn't realise it was your first first. Thought you'd gotten lucky at Poppintree one week but I guess I was wrong. ;) Congrats. An account of the occasion is in order, please. And mind that knee.

There's a few accounts that need telling at this stage!!! C'mon man, we need to live vicariously through you #parkrunlegend

w/c 18/07/2016

Total Miles :
    30.7m
    Longest single run : 6.1m
    Extras : 60mins Pilates Class

Another easy week mileage wise mainly to facilitate an LT Test on Thursday. Interesting exercise and definitely found it worthwhile as it confirmed my views on where I am training wise. Based on my recent parkruns, I was able to hold pace at c 06:10/06:15 at a HR of high 150s without any lactate build-up but as soon as I pushed past about 162 my legs were being flushed with lactate.

The results of the test put my current LT at 160bpm or 06:05min/mile. It gave me an LT Zone of 155-160, Aerobic Threshold/Marathon Effort Zone of 145-150bpm and anything under 140 is falls into easy/recovery zone.

The tester confirmed that all the recent easy running means I am in good shape aerobically but advised that it would be worth my while to focus on a little LT running to improve my efficiency in that zone. However before I do this I need to make sure the body is ready for it.

On the injury front after Sunday 13.8m on concrete the left knee was acting up again but a couple of days of exercises eased it off.

Finished the week with a couple of lovely trail runs in Lough Key Forest park while camping down there. Also managed to squeeze out a first finisher on Saturday at Lough Key parkrun. Same strategy as the last couple of parkruns which was run the first 2-2.5m without letting HR go above 160 and then depending on were I was I would decide whether to push on or not. By 2.5m in Lough Key all the quick starters had come back to me and I found myself leading the pack so pushed on a little but finished slower than my previous 2 outings but 1st finisher in 19:13.

w/c 25/07/2016

Total Miles :
    40m (assuming 6.2m tomorrow)
    Longest single run : 11m
    Extras : None

Another easy week bringing mileage back into the 40's but keeping everything in the easy zone. I am now running with the only thing showing on my watch being HR and that has mainly been in the 120's. A couple of days I managed to push it into the low 130's and this resulted in paces closer to 8min.

Wednesday involved a run into town for partake in a run with the pacers event for the RnR. The 5 miles into town and the 10k pacers run were all at easy pace and pretty much all on concrete. However, either the distance or the surface aggravated my knee. On Thursday I ended up stopping after a couple of miles and doing a few stretching on the ITB In St Anne's before joining Duanington for a few more easy miles.

Friday run involved dull rather than sharp pain as did the parkrun warm-up in Cabinteely this morning.

This morning Mrs Mc and I were joined by a couple of others from St Anne's in a bit of parkrun tourism to Cabinteely where FD was in charge. Plenty of banter about the prospect of 3 in a row after having been first finisher in Donabate and Lough Key over the last couple of weekends. Bumped into Tang out there, he had come along to make his parkrun debut. Good to see him as always. My plan was the same as in previous weeks which was to keep the HR in the high 150's for 2/2.5m and take it from there. We were busy chatting when FD sent us on our way and this resulted in me being about 20/30 from the front at the off. Just settle in for the ride. There is a pretty decent hill in Cabinteely park that has to be negotiated 3 time. Each time I made up good ground on those ahead of me and by the time we approached it for the 3rd time I found myself leading the pack again. Held pace last time up the hill which pushed the HR into the 160 but allow me to complete the hat-trick........19:28 was my official time. Slowest of the last 4 parkruns but sure a 1st finish is a 1st finish :)

Finish off with a cool down lap before coffee and a chat. Great to catch up with FD and Tang.

Next weekend sees me back in St Anne's on RD duty so I will bank my 3 in a row and end the streak on the up. Really enjoyed the few weeks of parkrun tourism, attending some excellent event and meeting plenty of lovely people. It only hammers home to me what a great initiative parkrun is and I am grateful to be part of it.

• Advertisement

This morning Mrs Mc and I were joined by a couple of others from St Anne's in a bit of parkrun tourism to Cabinteely where FD was in charge. Plenty of banter about the prospect of 3 in a row after having been first finisher in Donabate and Lough Key over the last couple of weekends. Bumped into Tang out there, he had come along to make his parkrun debut. Good to see him as always. My plan was the same as in previous weeks which was to keep the HR in the high 150's for 2/2.5m and take it from there. We were busy chatting when FD sent us on our way and this resulted in me being about 20/30 from the front at the off. Just settle in for the ride. There is a pretty decent hill in Cabinteely park that has to be negotiated 3 time. Each time I made up good ground on those ahead of me and by the time we approached it for the 3rd time I found myself leading the pack again. Held pace last time up the hill which pushed the HR into the 160 but allow me to complete the hat-trick........19:28 was my official time. Slowest of the last 4 parkruns but sure a 1st finish is a 1st finish :)

Finish off with a cool down lap before coffee and a chat. Great to catch up with FD and Tang.

While I was doing my pre run briefing?! :eek:

Meno says Cabinteely is 60-90 mis slower than a flatter run

Great to see you complete the hat trick and catch up with Mrs Mac too, might take a trip to St Annes on Saturday as a pre boards run run :p

w/c 01/08/2016 to w/c 15/08/2016

More of the same really. Plenty of easy runs on grass to keep the hip issue at bay. Averaged 50m+ per week over the 3 week perdio but longest single run was 13.1 miles today. Some focus on doing the knee exercises and a dry needling session on the left ITB seems to have sorted the knee issue that lingered a little after Belfast 24.

Each week also included one tempo/LT run. These were run by heart rate but I struggled to get into the right zone on two of these as the legs just wouldn't do what they were asked.

This week also included the FD10. Plan was to try to get through 8 miles in LT training zone which should equate to somewhere around 6:10/6:15 pace and then see if I had anything in the tank to push on. All went fine aerobically but the lack of session work really showed in my legs strength or lack of it. While the lungs were so relaxed that I probably could have whistled Dixie all the way round the legs just had very little to give and I kinda lost the will to live, never mind run after the first 3 miles or so. This coincided with some right hip/lower back pain. Nothing major just enough to stop me from finding any rhythm. It was a bit like Terenure in that runners streamed by me and I did very little fight back. DNF did cross my mind but just couldn't be doing that. Finished it out in 64:08 slowest FD since 2013 and excluding my pacing gig in Trim earlier this year it was the first time I haven't PB'd at the distance in 9 attempts. Although to be fair I never thought I was in PB shape for this. Apart from the weather, the run and the result it was a good day out :D As always good to catch up with plenty of boardies and the parkrun crew.

Plan for the next few weeks is to up the rehab work on the hips to allow me to increase my long run distance as I need to get a few decent long runs in before DCM pacing gig. Also plan to take in Charleville HM in September and hopefully, sneak a PB of some sort before moving back to base building for 2017.

Is LT pace not just a little bit much for a 10-miler? Whatever about the lungs, not surprised the legs wouldn't cooperate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Is LT pace not just a little bit much for a 10-miler? Whatever about the lungs, not surprised the legs wouldn't cooperate!

FBOT01 is in and around an hour for 10 miles so id say LT pace is correct?

FBOT01 is in and around an hour for 10 miles so id say LT pace is correct?

Yep. That was the theory. My recommended LT training zone of 155-159 should see me in the 6:10/6:15 zone all else been equal.....I was in the right HR zone but some days all else ain't equal ;)

• Advertisement

Ah yes, of course (slaps forehead with back of hand).

Ah yes, of course (slaps forehead with back of hand).

ya need one of these D?

latest?cb=20130105033559

w/c 22/08/2016 & w/c 29/08/2016

More of the same but increasing the mileage to over 60m/wk while keep the one tempo/LT session per week. Managed to get in a decent 18m and 20m LR in the company of Ferris and a decent 14m MLR in the company of Murph. All moving in right direction. TW I have the knee issue under control and a few visits to the SSC in Santry have me happy that I have handle on the lower back/right hip problem. It is primarily muscular rather than a disc issue and I have a clear "path to redemption" that should have me out the other end in 10/12 weeks if I do as the doctor orders.

Onwards and upwards with entry confirmed for Charleville HM and the mojo on a definite up curve

Good stuff M, don't beat the Lemon by to much in Charleville, you know he's liable to throw a hissy fit when Boardsies beat him!!

Good news M, good to hear going in right direction.

tang1 wrote: »
    Good stuff M, don't beat the Lemon by to much in Charleville, you know he's liable to throw a hissy fit when Boardsies beat him!!

FYP

w/c 05/09/2016

Total Miles = 65
    Sessions = 1x20min Tempo @ 06:30 avg pace with 4wu and 1cd
    Longest Run = 20miles @ 08:03 avg pace

Another solid enough week. Nice MLR on Tuesday evening in the company of Ferris, Yaboya and Duanington, a couple of miles pre-tempo with KennyG on Thursday and a good 8miler on Friday morning with Killerz where the highlights of the week. The low points were a very wet LT/Tempo session on Thursday and a real slog of a solo LR on Sunday. The Thursday tempo was far harder work than it should have been again and had great difficulty getting the HR up in my LT training zone. Sunday's LR started badly when delayed the start by 90mins as I couldn't motivate myself to get out of the bed. When I did get going it was a case of just keeping going and ticking off the miles. The fact that I seemed to be running into a tough wind no matter what direction I ran didn't help either. Some lower back pain from mile 15 onwards but it remained local and didn't cause me too much trouble. Finished with a few MP miles (DCM pacing MP that is :)) Pace was a little all over the place at times but the HR was solid and in the right zone throughout. Can't wait for the legs to catch up on the heart and lungs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

w/c 05/09/2016

Total Miles = 65
    Sessions = 1x20min Tempo @ 06:30 avg pace with 4wu and 1cd
    Longest Run = 20miles @ 08:03 avg pace

The fact that I seemed to be running into a tough wind no matter what direction I ran didn't help either.

You have my sympathies here M - I left the coast at Baldoyle during my Sunday run to escape it ( even though it should have been at my back by then).....and it slapped me in the face.

Another good week done, nice work

Duanington wrote: »
    You have my sympathies here M - I left the coast at Baldoyle during my Sunday run to escape it ( even though it should have been at my back by then).....and it slapped me in the face.

Another good week done, nice work

Had similar experience Sunday evening, wind on face from clontarf rd
    coming into fairview down to wooden bridge, where it changed to our backs
    happy days, but seen a few struggling in from Sutton.

Best luck Sunday M, hope legs keep up with lungs :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement