Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck Sunday M, hope legs keep up with lungs :)

Cheers G. I hope went well with the relay today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Charleville? ENJOY!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck tomorrow. Save me some cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a good 'un!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck M, and ENJOY!!

A pb I hear! Well done, tell us more :)

Good day at the office today. Watch time at Charleville Half was 1:23:59 (still waiting for official time.) 2 min PB followed by a bubble bath with TbL. Doesn't get much better than that :p

All went to plan and finished strongly so very happy with my day's work. I will do up a more detailed report during the week.

Great event and would recommend it. Well organised, well marshalled, great spread and a relatively flat fast out and back course. Thanks to all involved.

Official chip time in the end was 1:24:01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

FBOT01 wrote: »
    . a bubble bath with TbL. Doesn't get much better than that :p

Congrats on the PB, love that the bubble bath was the best bit of the day!!!;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent stuff, big congrats on the pb.
    Fully agree with the event, it clicked very quickly with me today that this is how it should be done. So well organised and safe.

Results are up here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Delighted for you M,good to see tree hugging experiment paid some divadince.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great to see this M - consistent work and smart training paying off, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice work - but damn you and your 20 seconds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the PB. Nice auld pic of the finish line grimace on the face box there.

Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB, love that the bubble bath was the best bit of the day!!!;);)

Cheers A. It's all about the company. I was just gutted that I had to run off before the sauna :eek:
    diego_b wrote: »
    Excellent stuff, big congrats on the pb.
    Fully agree with the event, it clicked very quickly with me today that this is how it should be done. So well organised and safe.

Results are up here

Thanks, D. You had a pretty good day at the office yourself. Well done.
    Delighted for you M,good to see tree hugging experiment paid some divadince.

Cheers, G. Yes tree hugging all the way!! And yes I have to admit that the divadance classes are great for cross training :p
    Duanington wrote: »
    Great to see this M - consistent work and smart training paying off, well done

Cheers, D. I am expecting to be writing something similar over on your training log on Sunday evening ;)
    Nice work - but damn you and your 20 seconds :)

Thanks A. I'd be lying if I said that the target that you laid down last week didn't pop into my mind once or twice in the last couple of miles :D

You can get your own back by laying down a tougher mark for me in SS in November ;)

Well done on the PB. Nice auld pic of the finish line grimace on the face box there.

Thanks, M. You did a pretty good job yourself too. Fairplay. I am not sure nice is the word for that photo although grimace is a good description alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks, M. You did a pretty good job yourself too. Fairplay. I am not sure nice is the word for that photo although grimace is a good description alright :)

Well run, M, good to see you back in the zone. Why not share the pic and save us the stalking?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well run, M, good to see you back in the zone. Why not share the pic and save us the stalking?

*jumps straight onto the internet to stalk

I tried that earlier, got bored, if you find it post it :D

I'll save you the bother: Link

I'll save you the bother: Link

That the first time that I have been mistaken for TbL :p

• Advertisement

w/c 12/09/2016

Total Miles = 50.2
    Sessions = 1E/1@6:10/1E/2@6:30/1E/1@6:10/1E
    Longest Run = 15.1m incl Charleville Half

Stole the midweek session from Duanington's Training Log. It was the session he did as a precursor to Clonmel Half so decided to use it as a sharpener for Charleville Half which was main thing in this week. It's a decent session that went well. Charleville Race report is below

w/c 19/09/2016

Total Miles = 31.1
    Sessions = 1E/1@6:10/1E/2@6:30/1E/1@6:10/1E
    Longest Run = 8m

DossDown week off playing golf in Spain with the lads. A couple of easy warm runs thrown in along the way when I could but made a conscious decision to let running take a back seat to everything else that was going on. Plenty of food and drink consumed and the odd late night;) Highlight of the week was winning the FBOT Trophy for 2016:pac:

w/c 26/09/2016

Total Miles = 59.5
    Sessions = Tempo Thursday (2x15mins @ LT HR RI5mins)
    Longest Run = 20.4m @07:53 avg pace (Max HR 139/Avg HR 132)
    Cross Training = 60mins Pilates Class and 90mins Yoga/Pilates Class

Back at it after an easy running week. Standard week now look as follows a Tempo/LT Session on a Thursday with a long run at the weekend and everything else is just easy running. The purpose of the Tempo stuff is to work on my speed endurance and to enhance my efficiency at LT. This should yield gain at all distances but particularly at 10m and HM. The long run is just about keeping everything ticking over for DCM Pacing gig. Haven't been as diligent as I should be with the S&C work and certainly paid a little for this during Sunday's LR. The right hip/lower back gave me a little grief but nothing that prevented me from running. Need to get back on top of that stuff in the coming week.

This is the first week in a while that I had back to back Pilates (Mon) and Yoga/Pilates (Tues) classes. I have to say by Wednesday my hip flexors were as bad as they have been in a long while. They settled down by Saturday but I will need to watch that in an attempt to strengthen my core that I am not doing the wrong thing and actually causing myself more problems than I am fixing.

The week also including pacing at St Anne's parkrun 3rd Birthday. Despite the weather there was a great turnout. Super event that keeps going from strength to strength. Fairplay to all involved Long may it last.

Official Time 1:24:01
    Overall Position 41
    Category Position (O45) 7

Ferris and I had decided to do this as we are away for the Dublin Half and wanted to give a half a decent go before DCM. For me this was another chance to test the body and see how it is responding to the rehab and the extra mileage. I had two goal for the day which were to improve my half marathon PB which stood at 1:26:02 from Waterford in January by going sub 1:25 while not experiencing the lows that I had at the FD where I never really got into the race, had very heavy legs from the start and would have happily pulled up after 3 or 4 miles. Since the FD I have put in 4 good weeks with in excess of 60 miles per week and long runs that included an 18miler and 2x20milers.

Unfortunately Ferris got injured last week so it was a solo outing for me which would mean driving both down to and back from Charleville in the one day. After my first rest day since 29 July and an epic night’s sleep I hit the road at 6am feeling quite fresh and the niggles I had been having in the previous couple of days seemed to have settled. Arrived at 8:45 to be welcomed by an auld Lemon. After a quick catch up and number collection we headed out for a couple of miles warm-up before I donned me black bag and headed for the wet start line. Said a quick hello to HBS and diego_b along the way. Weather was miserable but temperature was OK and wind was nothing that couldn’t be hidden from behind some big lad.

The plan was to replicate AMK's strategy from Athlone the previous week i.e. tuck in with the 1:25 pacers and play it by ear for there.

Miles 1-6 06:17/06:34/06:19/06:24/06:27/06:38

From the off the legs felt good and I was moving pretty well. I made a call from the start to get straight into it and didn’t engage in chat with any of the group. I was there to do a job and wasting energy chatting that might cost me later in the daye end. I just settled into the middle of the pacing group and concentrated on staying relaxed and avoiding tripping anyone or being tripped. The pacers looked at the watch quite a bit and there was small bit of surging and slowing but on a whole they were moving well and I stayed with the lead one all the way out. The group converged just before Killmallock. On a number of occasions I remind myself of AMK’s report from last week where he pointed out that in the first half of a half it should feel comfortable and just because you are not hurting doesn’t mean you need to push on. I held my powder dry. Killmallock was a bit of a wind tunnel but being in a group reduced winds impact.

Miles 7-9 06:26/06:25/06:28

These were more of the same. Pacers were pretty much on pace and I was ticking along nicely. Nothing stood out about these miles.

Miles 10-12 06:21/06:20/06:14

About half way into mile 10 one of the lads from the group decided to push on. There had been previous moves from the group that I let go as I thought they were a little early but now with just over a parkrun to go and all feeling good I decided to go with this lad. We moved away from the group pretty steadily and started to build a nice rhythm working off each other. Just after the mile 11 mark I thought I had lost the other lad as he had removed his heart strap, dropped back and didn’t seem to be moving as comfortable as he had been. I recalled running at the FD with the HRM and when the going got tough thinking that it was restricting my breathing and wanting to rip it off. I thought that this might be what this lad was feeling. I had made a decision after I left the pacer that as long as I was still ahead of them that the time was irrelevant so I could ignore the watch and just go fishing. I focused on the road ahead and picked out a guy in a green luminous top about 100 metres ahead as my target. Before I knew it I had him and the 3 or 4 between me and him when I started the chase. As I look ahead I could see a group of about 6/8 lads, a lot of whom had pushed on from our pacing group just after half way. These would be my next targets. Then out of nowhere my buddy with the heart strap passes me. He was 5 or 10 yards ahead of me before I refocused and went after him.

Mile 13+ 05:57.....with last 0.1 showing 05:12 pace on the watch :eek:

We hit a small climb over a bridge somewhere around the start of the last mile and I caught him and passed him before cresting the bridge. I was feeling really strong at this stage and decided to build on the momentum and push for home. I was breathing like a train but also moving like a train. I lost count of the number of people that I passed in the last mile and each time I passed anyone I made a conscious effort to drop the shoulders and look as relaxed as possible to discourage them from tagging along. It felt like I was flying and those around me were standing still. The last half mile or so involves a climb back up to where we started from and then a flat finish when we turned into the school for the last 100m or so. I didn’t let up going up the hill and had one more target about 50m+ ahead of me and I knew it was going to be a tough ask to catch him. I also knew at this stage that AMK’s mark from Athlone was there for the taking :P So I wasn’t going to be found wanting when it came to trying……I didn’t get him but I think the finishing straight photo and the fact that I was as close to puking as I have been in a long time confirms that I pushed it all the way.

The official time gave me a 2min PB and the performance was all that I could have asked for on the day.

After a quick dash back to the car to confirm that I hadn’t managed to land a late ticket for the All Ireland I returned to the school to stock up on sambos and cakes from the monster spread and to share a cuppa with a happy Lemon. Bumped into an equally happy Hot Butter Scone and deigo_b as well. Well done, lads.

Before hitting the road I availed of the race day offer of use of a local leisure centre and swimming pool, where swim and a bubble bath with TbL was the order of the day. The Dubs failure to do the business in Croker was the only thing that took a bit of the gloss off the day ;)

Verdict – I am on the right road. This performance was a world apart from the FD just 4 weeks before. The long runs and extra mileage are paying dividends and the rehab in making running pain free a regular occurrence now. Based on my times over shorter distances I have still plenty of room to improve this time but based on the six months I have had since Boston I am very happy to bank this one. Next up is DCM pacing. If I can continue in the same vein for the next 4/5 weeks I should be well placed to enjoy the day and deliver my charges home on time!!!

Nice going M. The prospect of a bath with the lemon seems to have lit the PB fire. A critical eye on the pacers' pace too - always the pro. :)

Your DCM pacees certainly have nothing to worry about (might be one of them myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent report FBOT, I didn't realise how good a race you'd had! Well done on the fine result.
    I have picked up a few tips there, particularly like the one with the shoulders after passing someone. And the other is a call back....one thing that I can recall from MrsMc's DCM report was the instructions to converse energy in a long race like that.
    During DCM last year I was chatting a lot with neil in the first half....waving etc....this year I plan to be a bit more unsociable/productive!

Great report M & great race to match, fingers crossed for London:)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice going M. The prospect of a bath with the lemon seems to have lit the PB fire. A critical eye on the pacers' pace too - always the pro. :)

Your DCM pacees certainly have nothing to worry about (might be one of them myself).

Cheers. The Lemon has offered the stream room as a reward if I ever go sub 3hr :eek:

Always useful to get a sense of how the pacers are going in the early stages before you go all in :)

And as for the last bit about me holding your hand in DCM........not going to happen!! I will be kicking your ass up the road to the 3:20 guys if I see it on the day :p
    diego_b wrote: »
    Excellent report FBOT, I didn't realise how good a race you'd had! Well done on the fine result.
    I have picked up a few tips there, particularly like the one with the shoulders after passing someone. And the other is a call back....one thing that I can recall from MrsMc's DCM report was the instructions to converse energy in a long race like that.
    During DCM last year I was chatting a lot with neil in the first half....waving etc....this year I plan to be a bit more unsociable/productive!

Thanks DB. Nothing wrong with enjoying the day and having the craic along the way particular when it was your first go at the distance. I'd say in hindsight many others would have preferred to take that route than end up going out too fast and having a death march home. But if productivity is your aim this year I would say being less animated and a little more reserved is the way to go. A little chat in the early miles will be good for the mind but maybe save the waving and high 5s until after you cross the line. Best of luck. I am sure we will see you in McGrattans afterwards.
    Great report M & great race to match, fingers crossed for London:)

Cheers G. Would be nice to get a golden ticket for London alright but I won't be holding my breath.

This all feels very matter of fact reading it M - the truth is that its a very impressive performance , a big chunk off the PB and a sign that you are indeed on the right road again. Great to see it, might tempt you to Waterford and you can clip another bit off that PB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great report M and great race. Well done.

This all feels very matter of fact reading it M - the truth is that its a very impressive performance , a big chunk off the PB and a sign that you are indeed on the right road again. Great to see it, might tempt you to Waterford and you can clip another bit off that PB

Cheers, D. I am defo looking towards Waterford. Think we might be able to get a little road trip going. Yaboya is tempted, Murph knows he wants to and if Ferris can keep his meaty calves in working order I think we might have a full car :D

PS I also think KennyG could be easily persuaded ;)
    Younganne wrote: »
    Great report M and great race. Well done.

Thanks Anne.

well Jaysus - I'm glad I was able to help you beat my PB.

B'stard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great racing M and congrats on the PB.

well Jaysus - I'm glad I was able to help you beat my PB.

B'stard.

Cheers A. I am eagerly awaiting your report from SS so I can get my strategy for my next marathon ;)
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Great racing M and congrats on the PB.

Thanks Jake. You seem to be going very well yourself at the moment. Keep up the good work and hopefully, we will see you with a shiny new PB in McGrattan's on the 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Great racing! Loved the report, sounds like an exciting finish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Fair play M. That is a fair turnaround in the space of 6 months although its probably not fair to compare events. What has changed in your training? You point out the extra mileage and long runs. Is that in lieu of harder (relatively speaking) sessions? Curious as I am re-examining my own training to see what works best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The FBOT Cup! Congratulations, aweome achievement. And oh yeah nice HM pb too I suppose :D

Just catching up here, what a brilliant report, loved the bit about you flying when everyone else was standing still :) these are the days we live for, even if they don't come along as often as we'd all like, it's worth all the hard work and pain for the glory :) Well done M.

Great racing! Loved the report, sounds like an exciting finish :D

Cheers C. I hope is good with you.
    denis b wrote: »
    Fair play M. That is a fair turnaround in the space of 6 months although its probably not fair to compare events. What has changed in your training? You point out the extra mileage and long runs. Is that in lieu of harder (relatively speaking) sessions? Curious as I am re-examining my own training to see what works best for me.

Thanks D. Apologies for the delayed reply but real life has gotten in the way of me being able to fully engage with boards of late :)

If I was review the year, it actually started very well. After initial base building, I got into good training and had a great PB over 10m in Ballycotton. Then came Boston and we all know where that ended up.

After that it was back to base building and rehab with loads of easy miles with consistent running providing the mileage rather than long runs. I kept everything below 2hrs mainly under 90mins and this helped me manage my ongoing injury issues. This gave me a great aerobic base which showed in Belfast. However, the lack of hard stuff either in terms of sessions or long runs showed in the FD. I ran everyday from 25 July through until Charleville half and brought in LT work once a week during this period. This is what I reaped the benefits of on the day. Going forward I will be trying to focus on consistent regular running giving me 50-60miles per week including one speed and one LT session per week. Mainly 60-90mins with nothing over 2hrs other than when I enter specific marathon training periods like now.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    The FBOT Cup! Congratulations, aweome achievement. And oh yeah nice HM pb too I suppose :D

Cheers G. Its a trophy rather than a cup but yes it is an awesome achievement :)
    Firedance wrote: »
    Just catching up here, what a brilliant report, loved the bit about you flying when everyone else was standing still :) these are the days we live for, even if they don't come along as often as we'd all like, it's worth all the hard work and pain for the glory :) Well done M.

Thanks AM. I have had a few bad days at the office this year that I have had to embrace so am happy to relish in the good one that was Charleville :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I know you were delighted to better the AMK half time but did you know my half PB is 1:24:02 - fup sake!

I know you were delighted to better the AMK half time but did you know my half PB is 1:24:02 - fup sake!

:D

• Advertisement

Were you running along the promenade this evening ? 7 ish ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Were you running along the promenade this evening ? 7 ish ?

Yep. I am afraid the poor lighting and your black outfit meant I didn't cop it was you until l was a 100m past you.

Yep. I am afraid the poor lighting and your black outfit meant I didn't cop it was you until l was a 100m past you.

Yes I should practice what I preach really :o. In my defence it was light when I started and I had a bright t-shirt on underneath my black hoody :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Cheers C. I hope is good with you.

If I was review the year, it actually started very well. After initial base building, I got into good training and had a great PB over 10m in Ballycotton. Then came Boston and we all know where that ended up.

After that it was back to base building and rehab with loads of easy miles with consistent running providing the mileage rather than long runs. I kept everything below 2hrs mainly under 90mins and this helped me manage my ongoing injury issues. This gave me a great aerobic base which showed in Belfast. However, the lack of hard stuff either in terms of sessions or long runs showed in the FD. I ran everyday from 25 July through until Charleville half and brought in LT work once a week during this period. This is what I reaped the benefits of on the day. Going forward I will be trying to focus on consistent regular running giving me 50-60miles per week including one speed and one LT session per week. Mainly 60-90mins with nothing over 2hrs other than when I enter specific marathon training periods like now.

:

Thanks for that. Definitely food for thought for my next plan. I have started back with lots of easy running until I get a few decent weeks under my belt.

denis b wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Definitely food for thought for my next plan. I have started back with lots of easy running until I get a few decent weeks under my belt.

Lots of easy running is certainly the way to go in my book for anyone trying to get back into after a break. Make sure you include a few easy parkrun in there, D, so you can keep it social ;)

Had look at your race report for Waterford half, no help I'm afraid very brief
    no information.

• Advertisement

Had look at your race report for Waterford half, no help I'm afraid very brief
    no information.

Whoops....try Duanington or Ferris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

One word for tomorrow, you know what it is.... E N J O Y!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

annapr wrote: »
    One word for tomorrow, you know what it is.... E N J O Y!!!!!!

+1 to that, best of luck M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff M, great running, and you beat the young fella!!!

Well look at that, after all the trepidation, he pulled a good one out of the bag. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement