Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Murph_D wrote: »
    trepidation)

That the new word for sandbagging.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good to catch up with you, well done a great run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Cheers Folks.

Pretty happy with my day's work as I was nowhere near where I had hoped to be for this race. After Charleville I really wanted to give this a good rattle and finish the year off strong. Best laid plans and and all that.... various injuries and life getting in the way meant I didn't get anything like the training I had planned done since mid October.

Anyway forgot the watch this morning so any plan I might have had for today went out the window. Spent 10 miles chasing down the 1:25 pacers and just hung on after that. To my benefit they were 30secs ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done M, hope that's not the run report there getting shorter:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Cheers Folks.

Pretty happy with my day's work as I was nowhere near where I had hoped to be for this race. After Charleville I really wanted to give this a good rattle and finish the year off strong. Best laid and and all that.... various injuries and life getting in the way meant I didn't get anything like the training I had planned done since mid October.

Anyway forgot the watch this morning so any plan I might have had for today went out the window. Spent 10 miles chasing down the 1:25 pacers and just hung on after that. To my benefit they were 30secs ahead :)

'Best laid'? Wow, I'm going to Waterford next year ;)

Well done, nice result

Killerz wrote: »
    'Best laid'? Wow, I'm going to Waterford next year ;)

Well done, nice result

Have you not got enough on your hands. It's talk like that that ended you up with Twins...........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Have you not got enough on your hands. It's talk like that that ended you up with Twins...........:p

Ah indeed... how easily I forget Waterford 2013 :)

Long time no post.......

I haven't gone away and I am still ticking along. I know it will be a bit late but I plan to do a report on Waterford HM for the record over the Crimbo as some interesting lessons learnt and worth noting for future reference.

Since Waterford I have been running almost every day. Took a week of easy running and then last week started to put some structure back into things. Next few week will all follow the same structure as the last two which was Hill session on Tuesday, LT/Tempo on Thursday, parkrun on Saturday and 14/15m MLR on Sunday. In between will be easy running.

The New Year will start with an eight week plan with Ballycotton 10 being the target race and taking in the Raheny 5 along the way. Might do the Fat Turkey over Christmas just for the craic.

The plan is also get back logging on here to keep me honest. Biggest factor as to what happens in Ballycotton and after will probably be how much S&C I do. I am still struggling a little with hip/back/glute issue and if I am serious about get some decent results I need wake up, smell the heather and get on with doing the right strength work. Easier said than done for me I am afraid.

In the meantime, I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and that 2017 is a good one for you and yours..............keep on running Folks :pac:

• Advertisement

You have a sub 64 min pacing gig on the 5th of February next, don't forget that. Happy Christmas to A and yourself M.

tang1 wrote: »
    You have a sub 64 min pacing gig on the 5th of February next, don't forget that. Happy Christmas to A and yourself M.

I'll be there. Have a good one, B. I hope Santa is good to all the Tangs!

I hope you all had a nice Christmas and New Year break.

Running highlight for me over the break was the parkrun treble over New Year Weekend. Great fun and super atmosphere around St Anne's and Father Collins. Plenty of boardies in attendance to and great to catch up with them all.

According to Strava Stats for 2016 were as follow:

Total Runs | 368
    Total Miles | 2,543
    Number of Races | 8
    Number of PBs | 2 (10m and HM)
    Number of parkruns | 21
    Number of Marathons | 2 (Boston in April and DCM Pacing in Oct)

Wasn't a vintage year as far as PB's went as I struggled on and off with injuries but did manage to PB at 10mile (60:43) in Ballycotton in March and at HM (1:24:01) in Charleville in September. Ballycotton was probably my best performance of the year but Charleville would run it close. However, my running highlight of 2016 was definitely Boston in April despite heat, pain, struggle, etc. A truly great event and atmosphere that will stay with me for a long time.

Targets for 2017 are as follows:

5k | I think it's time I broke 18mins again as I haven't gone sub 18 since 2014
    5m | PB is 29:59 and am targeting this in Raheny
    10K | Have never given 10k a real go so would like to give one a lash mid year
    10m | Looking for a another big performance in Ballycotton in March
    HM | Depending on how first half the year goes I will be targeting my PB in Charleville in September
    Marathon | If the body holds up through Ballycotton training I will give sub 3 a go in either Limerick or Cork. If not, I will regroup and consider Longford or Dublin in the Autumn

A key thing will be to get to grips with the S&C work and try to get some pain free running in. It's hard to remember more than two or three days in a row without some hip, glute or back issue causing me discomfort. That's not a complaint it's just a statement. I am happy to be able to get out and run there are many who unfortunately can't.

PS Nearly forgot the 24hr Relay in Belfast in June. How could I forget that? 48.5miles in 3x2hrs stints over 18hrs. 2nd in the team event. Great weekend with a great crew of people. 2016 was actually a pretty great running year despite what the stats might say :)

After a nice start to the year with the double parkrun on New Year Day I got struck down by "the dreaded Lurgy" and for a change I decided to just surrender to it so no running from Monday through Thursday.

Friday (06/01) - 6.3m @avg pace 09:17

Having signed up for Raheny Shamrocks to allow me to run the Dublin XC Masters on Sunday I dragged myself out for a course recci with Ferris and Murph on Friday morning. 6 nice easy run in good company followed by the obligatory coffee.

Saturday (07/01) - Rest

On RD Duty at St Anne's parkrun in the morning and had family stuff to do in the afternoon so no running.

Sunday (08/01) - 9m including Dublin XC Masters
    Overall : 93 out of 261
    M45 : 17 out of 50

This was my XC Debut and a great day to do it. It was by no means a baptism of fire and I'd say the purist were not happy with the conditions on the day. In racing terms the going was good to soft and soft in places. I didn't even bring the watch as from what I have been listening to around here and elsewhere time is irrelevant in XC.

After jogging over with Ferris and collecting my new team colours I linked up with Duanington and KennyG for a couple of warm-up miles while keeping an eye on a very competitive women's race. I then donned the spikes which I had borrowed for the occasion and went for a test drive, this time with DD and Murph.

After a bit of banter and good wishes all around, we headed for the start. The start was very soft and crowded and I made a rookie mistake of starting a little far back. No major hiccups at the start and after we took the first turn into the tree line I settled in for a tough slog. Started passing people straight away and took advantage of every gap me and me elbows could fit through. Avoided an early faller and headed for the first soft section.

My plan was to keep it steady, working to move through the field for the first three laps and then push on as much as I could in the final lap. Concentrating on the bodies around you and being very aware of position keep me from thinking too much about having to go round and around and around again. Lap 1 came and went.

Early in lap 2 DD passed me and pushed on moving very strongly. Didn't try to go after him as I am not in that kind of shape. As I turned down through the trees at the top of the course I found myself behind 3 Bros Pearse runners running side by side making it hard to pass........but I like a challenge so as we hit the U-turn at the bottom of the trees I took the inside line and passed all three in one go. This was not the only time during the race that my low centre of gravity worked in my favour and allowed me to hold a tighter line on some of the corners and gain positions. One of the BP lads pushed back ahead of me but neither of the other two managed it. He pushed on and while he only finished 14 secs ahead of me that accounted for 17 places.

Lap 3 was the really tough one. It was all about the grind. I still had one of the BP runners on my shoulder and had an MSB runner in front that I was focused on catching. I got passed here by another Raheny Runner which was only the 4th or 5th runner I can remember getting passed me. I was well up in terms of nett gains. The Raheny vest continued to pay off in terms of support. As it was a local race I knew a lot of people out supporting and got great support but the vest meant I got extra support from plenty of people I didn't know as well. However, I was not on a pacing gig today or an easy parkrun so there was no show of acknowledgement for support but instead I tried to repay it by digging in and giving as much as I could.

When the bell went for lap 4 I think I smiled a little inside knowing the end was near. My job now was not to lose any places and gain a few as the lap went on. My BP chaser was still there so I assumed in his head he was taking me on this lap but in my head he certainly wasn't. As we turned at the top of the course and down into the firm section through the tree I started to stretch the legs and for the first time since the off I felt I was moving well. I passed a few runners in this section, not sure how many but more 5 and less than 10 I'd say. I kept a tight line through the U-Turn at the end and passed another here. My BP chaser appeared on my right shoulder so made sure there was no room between me and the trees for him to pass. I heard someone say to a runner around behind me to dig in and that there was a few position there for him. I thought to myself I hope you are not counting me in that number :) Around here the BP guy touched my shoulder to let me know he was there but I already knew this and he said something like "coming through" as he moved up tighter on my right shoulder. Momentarily I think I thought I was at a parkrun and took a step left. Then I remembered what I was really there for and stepped right again closing the door and hugging the inside line on the top corner so tight I nearly clipped the tree. This was the last corner and I kicked for home straight off the bend. The ground was very soft here but I dug in and pumped the arms. Runners in front of me where getting closer faster than I thought so I changed from trying to hold off those behind to chasing down those in front of me. Spurred on once again by the great support I got another 3 or 4 at least before the line. The last guy I was chasing heard me coming, stepped left into my path and put a spurt on before the line. I ran out of space and time and couldn't get him but thoroughly enjoy the attempt :)

As we queued in the funnel I certainly knew I had had a good workout but wasn't 5k focked. Legs felt tired and the heart took a few minutes to settle. No urge to puke thought :p

A few "well done" exchanged with all the boardies, parkrunners and Raheny crew that ran and/or supported, followed by a couple of cool down miles with Duanington. On a whole I think most were happy enough with their days work. Finished off with a couple of well-earned cuppas back at race HQ.

I enjoyed my XC debut and will certainly be back. I think like a lot of things practice and race experience is essential at this discipline. I need to learn how much pain I can take and when I need to push to get the most out of myself. There were only 15 seconds between me and the guy 20 places ahead of me so on days like that he who dares wins. One of the speedy Raheny lads had siad to us before the start "to be brave".......while I heard him I didn't quite take in what he meant. I have a better understanding now and hopefully, the next day out I can be braver :D

Brilliant report :) well done on your debut, glad to hear you enjoyed it, sounds to me like XC is right up your street and welcome to the 'club runners' club!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's a fine start M. I notice you finished right behind one of our lads in the end (the one you mentioned earlier?) He went sub-3 in DCM last year. Are you tempted to have a crack at the Leinster Masters in Dunboyne? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done again M - nice report too, I suspect there's a lot more to come if you give XC a good lash next year

That's a fine start M. I notice you finished right behind one of our lads in the end (the one you mentioned earlier?) He went sub-3 in DCM last year. Are you tempted to have a crack at the Leinster Masters in Dunboyne? :)

Cheers, J. Yep the guy I was trying to catch at end was MSB alright but not the same guy that passed on Lap 3. No plan to toe the line this weekend but stranger things have happened.

You happy enough with your own days work? You having a crack again yourself in Dunboyne?

Duanington wrote: »
    Well done again M - nice report too, I suspect there's a lot more to come if you give XC a good lash next year

Cheers D. Certainly room for improvement anyway :)

• Advertisement

Cheers, J. Yep the guy I was trying to catch at end was MSB alright but not the same guy that passed on Lap 3. No plan to toe the line this weekend but stranger things have happened.

You happy enough with your own days work? You having a crack again yourself in Dunboyne?

Very happy with how it went overall. Being new to this level, it might not have been wise pushing myself too far forward at the start. I've run a few BHAA XC races, but they wouldn't be anywhere near the same standard overall. I finished it out well, and it gave me a much better idea of what I can do in these races in future.

100% I'll be heading to Dunboyne. Sure for most of the MSBers it's a much shorter journey than St Anne's :) I think I'll push myself forward a bit more this time and see what happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

There were only 15 seconds between me and the guy 20 places ahead of me so on days like that he who dares wins.

Words to live by!

Fantastic XC debut and a great report. It's the race I wish I'd had!

Well done, see you in Waterford for the Nats ??

.....100% I'll be heading to Dunboyne. Sure for most of the MSBers it's a much shorter journey than St Anne's :) I think I'll push myself forward a bit more this time and see what happens....

Best of luck.....ENJOY!!!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Words to live by!

Fantastic XC debut and a great report. It's the race I wish I'd had!

Well done, see you in Waterford for the Nats ??

Cheers G.........other words to live by "One day at a time sweet Jesus......" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Obviously in your element yesterday, from the singlet wearing to the race performance, you seem to be a natural. On home turf too. Those chasers hadn't a chance.

Nice debut, not that I expected anything else really. Best of luck with the club, the colours suit you. Does low centre of gravity mean your smaller than some and were able to squeeze through the small gaps........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done M, good report and think as lads said lots more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done M, good report and think as lads said lots more to come.

+1. Great performance yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Love that report M... you're not competitive or anything are you? :p

you looked stronger as the race went on yesterday, well done, you sound like you're hooked :)

annapr wrote: »
    Love that report M... you're not competitive or anything are you? :p

you looked stronger as the race went on yesterday, well done, you sound like you're hooked :)

Cheers Anna. It's all about the enjoyment for me😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Lap 3 was the really tough one. It was all about the grind. I still had one of the BP runners on my shoulder and had an MSB runner in front that I was focused on catching.

The MSB lad who finished just ahead of you is a tough old b'stard.
    He ran sub 3 in DCM 16 after multiple attempts.
    He was 1st vet in our recent club handicap race - I reckon he should have been higher in the field, closer to some other of his MSB clubmates - so maybe you ae right about what you say about needing to be brave early on.

Great performance though on your debut.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Obviously in your element yesterday, from the singlet wearing to the race performance, you seem to be a natural. On home turf too. Those chasers hadn't a chance.

Cheers D. Yep thoroughly enjoyed the experience. You can't beat the adrenaline rush of a race for the line :pac:

Nice debut, not that I expected anything else really. Best of luck with the club, the colours suit you. Does low centre of gravity mean your smaller than some and were able to squeeze through the small gaps........

Thanks B. It's means I was perfectly sized and balanced for the job at hand :p

The MSB lad who finished just ahead of you is a tough old b'stard.
    He ran sub 3 in DCM 16 after multiple attempts.
    He was 1st vet in our recent club handicap race - I reckon he should have been higher in the field, closer to some other of his MSB clubmates - so maybe you ae right about what you say about needing to be brave early on.

Great performance though on your debut.

Cheers A. Getting it right at the start would have had big advantages on Sunday. The start was very crowded and soft. I reckon that 10sec+ were lost before the first turn alone by being too far back and with only 17secs between 75th and 95th how you managed the start would have been important.

Day | Date | Plan | Miles | Avg Pace | Avg HR | Max HR | Comments
    Monday | 09/01 | Easy | 6.86m | 08:41 | | | Easy run with Ferris |
    Tuesday | 10/01 | 8x60secs Hills RI120 | 5.7m | | | | Had to cut the wu and cd short to squeeze this in. First 2 were slow and steady just working into it. Next 4 were decent effort while last 2 were on the flat on way back to the house
    Wednesday | 11/01 | Easy | 7.4m | 08:37 | | | Easy miles on tired legs
    Thursday | 12/01 | 3x10min LT RI120 | 10m |06:21/ 06:30/ 06:28| 153/ 155/ 157 | 161 | Not feeling this and as a result it was after 9 by the time I got out. Very sluggish during the wu miles and some glute/lower back pain but as soon as I started the faster stuff all settled down. The first rep was slightly wind supported while the 2nd and 3rd were back into the same breeze. Snow shower started as I was half way through the last rep. I was running into the breeze with the falling snow being lite up by the oncoming traffic. I really was loving life at that moment and if anyone saw me they would think I was nuts as I ran smiling along the coast in the dark through a snowy shower. LT pace turned out to be a little slower than I would like but effort was good and HR was in the right space.
    Friday | 13/10 | Easy | 6.9m | 08:39 | 127 | 135 | Easy runs with Ferris. The buzz of the night before's run faded and was replaced by heavy legs for this one |
    Saturday | 14/01 | Easy | 10.8m | 08:45 | 127 | 142 | 7 easy miles with murph before linking up with Ferris, Yaboya and Duanington for 3 more before I jumped out to assist with parkrun set-up in St Anne's |
    Saturday | 14/01 | parkrun | 3.1m | 07:19 | 148 | 165 | Enjoyable jaunt around St Anne's parkrun. Record numbers despite the chill in the air. The new year is definitely upon us. Coffee and chats afterwards.
    Sunday | 15/01 | Easy | 6.1m | 08:19 | 126 | 136 | A few easy miles before dinner to finish off the week. Legs still feeling heavy and some sciatica type pain in right leg early in the day. Cleared up by the time I got out running.

Not a bad week if I put it in context with the previous 2 weeks.

Table isn't very phone friendly!!!!

Table isn't very phone friendly!!!!

So does that mean you won't be able to read it and make smart comments insightful observations :)

So does that mean you won't be able to read it and make smart comments insightful observations :)

Now that would hardly stop me!!! Full of insightful observations I am...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Busy week for you. Are you going to do any of the club sessions or stick with own plan?

aquinn wrote: »
    Busy week for you. Are you going to do any of the club sessions or stick with own plan?

Plan for the moment is to stick to my own plan although I haven't quite nailed down what that is yet. 8 weeks to Ballycotton from yesterday so step one will be to pull something together over the next couple of days for that. Will post it before the weekend to see if I get any insightful observations on it that I might want to factor in ;)

Monday (16/01)
    Planned - 6m Easy
    Actual - Rest

Tuesday (17/01)
    Planned 10m w10x60sec Hills
    Actually 10.4m w10x60sec Hills

Perfect evening for running. Focused on holding form and driving straight down to try to activate glutes. Worked the arms to keep pushing for the full rep. Lungs felt this more that the legs. Rep 9 and 10 were the toughest. First 8 felt tough but OK. Strangely I finished with shoulder pain rather than quad burn that I expected. HR never even got in LT zone but I can tell you it felt like it did and more at the time.

Wednesday (18/01)
    Planned - 4m/6m Double Recovery
    Actual - 8.5m Easy (Avg Pace 08:25/Avg HR 126)

Thursday (19/01)
    Planned - LT w 1x14mins/1x16mins RI120
    Actual - LT w 1x14mins/1x16mins RI120

14mins - Avg Pace 06:13/Avg HR 153
    16mins - Avg Pace 06:24/Avg HR 152

Conditions pretty good but never found a rhythm that got my HR into the right zone. Just couldn't get the legs to go any faster and yet they weren't burning or anything like it. Lungs were working and throat was burning as a result of re-flux but still never really felt under pressure just couldn't go any harder for some reason without going eyeballs out which I wasn't going to do as that is not how these sessions should be done ..........obviously the central guvnor just wasn't having it this evening :(

On the plus side paces turned out to be quicker than last week off lower HR so all is not lost ;)

Friday (20/01)
    Planned - 6m Easy
    Actual - 6.9m Easy (avg pace 08:57/avg HR 123)

Straight forward easy lunchtime run with Ferris on grass in St Anne's.

Saturday (21/01)
    Planned - 10m Easy finishing with MP parkrun
    Actual - 8.8m Easy (avg pace 08:39/avg HR 121)

A few early easy enjoyable miles with Murph. Had to skip parkrun in the end due to other commitments.

Sunday (22/01)
    Planned - 10/12m Easy
    Actual - 12.4m Easy (avg pace 07:46/avg HR 131)

Jumped in with Ferris for his "long" run. Forgot to do my activation exercises and felt it as we went along. Had that dead leg feeling in the right glute that usual precedes a bout of sciatica. I know the drill at this stage and the exercises needed to release it.

Fastest easy run in a while but just tagged along with Ferris's plan and went with the flow. Apart from the glute issue all else was good. Headed to Blanch later in the afternoon to invest in more runners before the sale ended. 2 more pairs of GT-3000's ready to go into service over next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

All the best Sunday M, remember if a PB is in sight pull back & save your energy. You have a far more important pacing gig in Trim the week after to conserve energy for. Run well!!!

All the best Sunday M, remember if a PB is in sight pull back & save your energy. You have a far more important pacing gig in Trim the week after to conserve energy for. Run well!!!

Cheers B.

Absolutely, all roads lead to Trim!!! Sunday is just a leg loosener. Obviously a PB this week would be nice but will mean nothing if I haven't got enough energy left to carry you over the line again on Sunday week :p

Cheers B.

Absolutely, all roads lead to Trim!!! Sunday is just a leg loosener. Obviously a PB this week would be nice but will
    mean nothing if I haven't got enough energy left to carry you over the line again on Sunday week😜

Carry is right!!! BEST pacer ever in my eyes M.

Carry is right!!! BEST pacer ever in my eyes M.

Awwww, he's his lobster....:p

Awwww, he's his lobster....:p

Oh, and best of luck on Sunday M!!

Oh, and best of luck on Sunday week M!!

Cheers A.

FYP ;)

Happy Days....Chip time 29:11. Report to follow later.

Great race as usual. Thanks to all involved!!

Saw that earlier, brilliant result, very well deserved!

Very well deserved indeed !! The singlet suits you, congrats on the pb :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Happy Days....Chip time 29:11. Report to follow later.

Great race as usual. Thanks to all involved!!

Thats a super time. You beat my PB by 2 seconds.

Pity it was a short course. :pac:

Advertisement