Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What time did you go out for the 12 miler at?
    Just noticing the time of your post now :pac:

He just got his junior cert results and was necking bottles of wkd into the wee small hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ferris B wrote: »
    He just got his junior cert results and was necking bottles of wkd into the wee small hours!

Lucky I wasn't waiting on mine.
    Think I'd have failed Geography after yesterday's exploits in Kilbarrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey FBOT, your running is coming along very nicely indeed!
    Just looking at your Pilates sessions on Tuesdays...how are these working out for you? Do you find yourself much more flexible now than before you began? How long are you doing these classes?
    I ask as I have always been very inflexible and always seem to have some muscle imbalance niggle or two when running and am curious to see what your thoughts are on these classes...?

Cheers!

Cheers J. I am enjoying the Pilates classes. They involve a good mix of core strengthening and flexibility. I think I am getting more from them on the core strengthening side than the flexibility side. I will be considering adding yoga into the mix after Berlin to increase the flexibility. I started this class 6 weeks ago and I do think it is benefiting me in terms of core stability while running and helping me hold form longer....that might be just in my head but when the going gets tough it will be whats in the head that counts.

I did a 10 week course in 2012 before Dublin and of my 3 DCM's that was the one I finished strongest in.

I struggle with the drive/dedication to do core and flexibility stuff solo so joining the class means I do it so for that alone it is a positive. The class I do in at 7:20am so it is done and dusted by 8:30am so there is no additional disruption to the day. I intend keeping it up post Berlin.

I hope your training is going OK and that you will be injury free for Berlin. See you over there!!

What time did you go out for the 12 miler at?
    Just noticing the time of your post now :pac:

Unfortunately I am a night owl. Sleep falls off my agenda sometimes. From this weekend on though I will have an alarm set on my phone to remind me to go to bed so that I will be fresh and rearing to go on the 28th:)
    Ferris B wrote: »

Never had much time for that Alco pop stuff give me a good flagon anytime:p
    Lucky I wasn't waiting on mine.
    Think I'd have failed Geography after yesterday's exploits in Kilbarrack!

You were lucky to escape from that one. That wrong turn was far more hazardous to your health than turning around into an oncoming cyclist the previous week:D

Thursday 11/09/2014
    Rest Day

This turned out to be another unplanned rest day. Work got in the way and I just about managed to fit in walking the dog between meetings, etc.

Friday 12/09/2014
    10m @ (LT w/5 @ HMP)

I originally considered doubling up today to pick up yesterdays recovery miles but opted for an extra hour in bed instead. Another busy day at the desk but there was no way I was missing today's main run. It should have been a tune-up race (8k-11k) but opted for an LT session instead.

Legs felt as fresh as I can remember when I hit the road and the 3 wu miles were very comfortable even at 07:43 avg pace. However, when I kicked off the HMP miles the accelerator appeared to go on the blink. HMP has been 6:25 or thereabouts for these sessions and I had in my head that I might push this to 6:15 or beyond today but when I got going I just couldn't get the speed up. I was running into the wind for the first 2 miles but it was more than that. I felt like I was flat footed and hitting the ground very hard.

Anyway this was a very enjoyable if not somewhat strange run. No problems no niggles (TW) just no acceleration for some reason. Never felt like I could go all that much faster but certainly felt like I could go longer which I suppose is what I have been training for.

HMP miles where as follows: 06:23/06:26/06:18/06:14/06:18. Finished with 2 mile cd @ 07:42 avg pace.

• Advertisement

Saturday 13/09/2014
    17.38m @ 07:36 avg pace (Long Run - Progression)

Hit the road pre-breakfast on a lovely crisp Autumn morning for the last long run of the cycle. Headed across to Merron Gates along the coast and then back in through town. Enjoyable run all done and dusted in time to give a hand at St Anne's parkrun and join the crew for coffee afterwards. Ferris was on hand timekeeping duty while Murph_D was busy pacing Mrs M to another PB.

Serious blast from the past when I realised that one of the volunteers was one of my primary school teachers. Small world!

Segments today broke down as follows:
    6m @ 07:56 avg pace
    6m @ 07:39 avg pace
    5.83m @ 07:13 avg pace

2 weeks to go............:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Not sure if you remember/noticed at the time but I met you at Kilbarrack Road junction as you were heading Southwards on the coastal path.
    You looked 'in the zone'...!

It's all getting very close now!

belcarra wrote: »
    Not sure if you remember/noticed at the time but I met you at Kilbarrack Road junction as you were heading Southwards on the coastal path.
    You looked 'in the zone'...!

It's all getting very close now!

Yep I remember alright. It was just at the pumphouse building. I think/hope I said Hello back. Apologies but between trying to hold pace, running into the Sun and you having shades on I didn't know who had said Hello to me.

All getting very very close now. See you in Berlin!

Sunday 14/09/2014
    4.83m @ 09:09 avg pace (Recovery)

Decided to skip the rest day and pick up one of the recovery runs missed earlier in the week. I think everyone in the household was willing me out the door for this one.......Lovely evening for run and sometimes "Sanity" is more important than "Rest".

Monday 15/09/2014
    7.23m @ 08:08 avg pace (Gen Aerobic w/8x100m Strides)

These are probably my least favourite runs. I find that they are in the middle zone pace wise and can be a real slog. I did the strides towards the end and while they weren't as half a*sed as last week they weren't as sharp as I would like them either.

Tuesday 16/09/2014
    7.01m @ 09:05 (Recovery)

Killerz was on day 2 of his 5 in 5 today so I joined him for a few miles on the back 9. It was hot and humid and I didn't envy his morning's work. When I left him he had less than a mile to go to tick off number 2. Fairplay to J and all the others that have taken on all or part of the EOI 10 in 10.

From my point of view it was a great way to get some nice recovery miles with company:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Monday 15/09/2014
    7.23m @ 08:08 avg pace (Gen Aerobic w/8x100m Strides)

These are probably my least favourite runs. I find that they are in the middle zone pace wise and can be a real slog. I did the strides towards the end and while they weren't as half a*sed as last week they weren't as sharp as I would like them either.

Tuesday 16/09/2014
    7.01m @ 09:05 (Recovery)

Killerz was on day 2 of his 5 in 5 today so I joined him for a few miles on the back 9. It was hot and humid and I didn't envy his morning's work. When I left him he had less than a mile to go to tick off number 2. Fairplay to J and all the others that have taken on all or part of the EOI 10 in 10.

From my point of view it was a great way to get some nice recovery miles with company:)

Thanks for the company. Every distraction helps!

Wednesday 17/09/2014
    8m @ 07:47 avg pace (VO2 Max w/3x1600 @ 5k Pace)

Had a early morning leg massage. Quads and hammers seemed all good. No soreness from last weeks dry needling. But when she started on the calves :eek: The left one was bearable but I was ready to jump off the table when she was working on the right one.

After the rub down I delayed today run for as long as possible and considered canning it or swapping it with tomorrow's recovery. I only really made the decision to go with it when I started the first rep. It was a perfect night for it and when the legs started to work I know it was the right thing to get this done today.

First rep was OK actually it was a little too OK so I know by the fact the watch wasn't beeping at me that I had obviously set the pace wrong in the watch. Decided just to go with whatever the watch was set at as while I knew it was off it didn't feel that far off. I ran all 3 "In desired zone" which turned about to be set at 05:50 to 06:05....a little be too wide and generous for this one. Ideally it should have been 05:40 to 05:50.

Anyway got through the 3 reps with no major problems and managed to resist the urge to push the boat out.....keeping my eyes on the prize or maybe just slacking ;)

Session broke down as follows:
    3.11m wu @ 08:47 avg pace
    1600m - 05:57 (05:59 pace)
    1600m - 06:02 (06:04 pace)
    1600m - 05:54 (05:56 pace)
    1.17m cd @ 09:05 avg pace

This was the last interval session of the cycle so that means the big day must be getting close :pac::pac:

Thursday 18/09/2014
    6.46m @ 07:38 avg pace (Recovery)

The plan for today was to be a repeat of Tuesday i.e. link up with Killerz who was now on day 4 of his 5 in 5 and do a few recovery miles in company while giving him a distraction for the last few miles.

On Tuesday I headed over the Bullwall and up the beach and met J coming onto the beach at the causeway end. Today I decided I would head straight to the start of the causeway and then run back along the beach and on towards the finish with him. Having seen him earlier in the morning I know he was a little ahead of Tuesday's pace so headed down a little early. When I got to the causeway there was no sign of him. I bumped into Marthstew who was out supportting on her bike with a basket of goodies in tow. She told me that I had missed him and that he was already on the beach. Quick u-turn and I headed for the wooden bridge along the road (shortcut). I got a chance here to add a 4th rep to last nights VO Max session with a 6min mile down to the wooden bridge in the company of Marthstew on her bike. I caught up with Killerz just as he approached the bridge. He was indeed flying and looking very comfortable in doing it.

He had done 3:32 yesterday in Howth and looked on target for a similar time today. As we tipped along I could feel him pushing the pace as he hit the last mile....by my calculation he finished with a 7:10/7:12 mile to put a 3:31 on the board. His fastest of the week so far and he still looked fresh faced afterwards. Nice work.

Quick check-in with Marthastew at the finish line before getting some recovery miles in on the way home. Bumped into Ferris out walking the dog....garmin in tow to keep himself honest:)

I won't be joining J on any Howth miles tomorrow given my hammers dislike of the experience the last time I was up there.

Good luck with the pacing gig tomorrow.
    Last double figure run before the big day :)

Good luck with the pacing gig tomorrow.
    Last double figure run before the big day :)

Cheers P. Not sure I was thinking of maybe 23m on Wednesday with 16 @ MP just to check that I have my MP right for the weekend. What you think?

I hope you are not overdoing it on the golfing front with all this extra downtime.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Cheers P. Not sure I was thinking of maybe 23m on Wednesday with 16 @ MP just to check that I have my MP right for the weekend. What you think?

I hope you are not overdoing it on the golfing front with all this extra downtime.

Maybe leave it at 20 with 15@MP to give you enough time to freshen up for Sunday :P.
    I was going to do a double yesterday to allow me play early tomorrow before work, but I decided against it and will now play just the two games next week (weather permitting). Need something to occupy myself on all these single figure mileage days!!

Saturday 20/09/2014
    13.1m @ 07:33 avg pace (Dublin Half Marathon 1:40 Pacing)

This was a nice way to get the last of the programmed MLRs done. Excellently organised event and fairplay to all those involved.

Met up with the pacing crew around 9 and got to put a few faces to names beforehand and it was good to meet my fellow 1:40 pacers Beepbeep67 and Gavlor along with all the rest of the crew.

Chip time 1:39:30 so job done. Mrs FBOT bagged another PB and we had a few friends post some great first time results. Good day all around.....good to see Ferris out shouting from the sidelines and using his bike to good effect to pop up in a couple of spots. I hope he is bringing it to Berlin;)

Pace felt very comfortable all the way around and the most tiring part was sitting in traffic afterwards.......15mins to get in this morning but 1:15 to get home afterwards. Should have gone to Ryan's for lunch with some of the pacer crew. We live and learn.

On the niggles front, I woke up with a tight right shin and ended up icing it when I got home. I could feel it tight while walking but didn't effect me when running. All else seems good.

Taking a complete rest day tomorrow and have even cancelled my golf to grab some well needed extra sleep time in the morning.

The big day is getting close now and it is starting to pop into the head more and more........I am sure the coming week will probably be the longest of the cycle yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good to put a face to the name today, best of luck in Berlin.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good to put a face to the name today, best of luck in Berlin.

Thanks Dom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Which pacer were you? If you were the second 1:40 pacer I was near you from about miles 3-6.75...and then I tore off to the side :mad:

• Advertisement

Which pacer were you? If you were the second 1:40 pacer I was near you from about miles 3-6.75...and then I tore off to the side :mad:

Yep I was the 2nd one OK (well second one with a flag). Sorry to hear that you had to pull up but nice to see that you kept the DNF off the CV. FairPlay. I hope the leg recovers quickly.

Cheers, the leg actually feels ok now, oddly enough. Thanks again for pacing, I felt far worse (physically anyway) after the Clontarf HM this summer - heat destroys me. I was in shades and a sandy coloured Lanzarote baseball cap.

Someone else mentioned the Rathfarnham 5k next week. Either that or the Simon 5 Mile might be a good chance to get back on the horse sooner rather than later.

Cheers, the leg actually feels ok now, oddly enough. Thanks again for pacing, I felt far worse (physically anyway) after the Clontarf HM this summer - heat destroys me. I was in shades and a sandy coloured Lanzarote baseball cap.

Someone else mentioned the Rathfarnham 5k next week. Either that or the Simon 5 Mile might be a good chance to get back on the horse sooner rather than later.

Frank Duffy T?

Yeah I think I was similarly attired that day. Pretty sure I wasn't running anywhere near you on that occasion though, as I tiptoed around in just under 79.

Nice to meet you:)

Yeah I had my Frank Duffy top on as well. Best of luck in Berlin, it's a fine city and I'm confident you'll get the sub 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

All the training is in the bag now, Fbot. Take it handy over the next week and get yourself set for Sunday!

Sunday 21/09/2014
    Rest Day

Didn't drag myself out of the bed until after 9am this morning. Latest I have been in the bed in a while. I would normally be on about the 5th hole (knock yourself out, TbL:)) at that time on a Sunday morning.

After a leisurely breakfast I headed off Southside to support my youngest in an U16 GAA Championship match. Lovely morning and a great win.

This time next week it will all be over bar the shouting :D

Monday 22/09/2014
    5.15m @ 08:48 avg pace (Recovery)

Just your average taper run. Nothing to report.

Tuesday 23/09/2014
    Rest Day

The way things worked out I had an extra day to play with this week. Work got in the way so I ended used the extra rest day today rather than heading out late this evening......early to bed now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Sunday, go get the time & as you say yourself, enjoy it.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday, go get the time & as you say yourself, enjoy it.

Thanks B, I hope to do the former and I am definitely going to do the latter:)

I hope all is good with you and that the recovery is going well.

Wednesday 24/09/2014
    7.15m @ 07:35 avg pace (Gen Aerobic w/3 @ MP)

Warm out there this evening for Dublin in the back end of September. This was supposed to be 7 Gen w/2@MP but I stuck in an extra MP just to try to help remember the feel/effort levels.

The MP ended up a little slower than I had planned as for some reason I kept finding my comfort zone in the high 6:50's rather than the low 6:50's so everytime I relaxed I was in high 6:50 zone.......I better make sure that it is the other way around on Sunday:) That being said it was all comfortable with no niggles (TW). Legs felt good and I could have rolled off a couple of quicker miles if I had to but that wasn't the purpose of the exercise.

MP miles were 06:57/06:55/06:56. They will need to be closer to 6:50 on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

MP is always going to feel more comfortable in the race environment. I don't think you can really dial in effort level in advance, because its going to change so much from mile 2 to mile 22

RayCun wrote: »
    MP is always going to feel more comfortable in the race environment. I don't think you can really dial in effort level in advance, because its going to change so much from mile 2 to mile 22

Hi Ray, I would tend to agree with you and that is pretty much why I didn't worry too much about trying to push the clock down or the effort up.

Thursday 25/09/2014
    5.11m @ 08:15 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice easy recovery run. Ignored the watch and just trotted along at a relaxed pace. Another one ticked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck M.

You're in great shape (for an auld lad) and come Sunday, you'll finally be off the fence :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck!

Best of luck M.

You're in great shape (for an auld lad) and come Sunday, you'll finally be off the fence :)

TbL
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Best of luck!

Cheers Gents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Very Best of luck FBOT! Bring it home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Go get it on Sunday, trainings gone great, enjoy the experience.

blockic wrote: »
    Very Best of luck FBOT! Bring it home
    Go get it on Sunday, trainings gone great, enjoy the experience.

Cheers. I hope to do both:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Best of luck. Do the P&D plan we are on proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Good luck FBOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck FBOT. Give Zee Germans (or your PB) Hell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good luck on Sunday FBOT01 - again, I doubt luck will have much to do with the outcome though, your preparation has been top notch

Good luck FBOT.
    ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck FBOT. Give Zee Germans (or your PB) Hell :)
    Duanington wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday FBOT01 - again, I doubt luck will have much to do with the outcome though, your preparation has been top notch
    viperlogic wrote: »
    Best of luck. Do the P&D plan we are on proud!

Thanks for the good wishes, Folks.

Friday 26/09/2014
    3.45m Recovery

Gentle recovery run around St Anne's with the dog pretty much brings this training cycle to an end.........just the main event to come.

Thanks for the messages of support on here and I will post my result on Sunday. Race no is 19591 for anyone interested in tracking.

Early flight tomorrow so I will sign off now until Sunday.........Good luck to all those running. See you on the other side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Best of luck Sunday FBOT, there'll have to be a log title change on Monday!

Berlin Marathon
    Official time 3:00:59

Missed the sub 3 but got a 12min + PB so happy out. Chilling in Oscar Wilde with Yaboya, and withcheeseplease both of whom managed to get the job done....fantastic support crew of Mrs FBOT, Ferris B and Mrs Ferris B still supporting!!

Report will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Fair play, tough to miss it, but fantastic time all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Super time.

I know you may be a little disappointed missing the 3 but it really is an arbitrary number, the 12 min PB is truly the only time that matters

Enjoy the post race celebration

• Advertisement
Advertisement