Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off the Fence....and looking to go sub 3 hrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

If that's the case you must have a very big hat Posh Bastard :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

FBOT01 wrote: »
    The problem is the quantity involved. Last week I ended up with a face full of snot so as being the true Boy Scout that I am this week I was being prepared;)
    If that's the case you must have a very big hat Posh Bastard :)

TbL

Just use the hat itself...then turn it inside out afterwards!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Tuesday 18/11/2014
    5.26m @ 08:35 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Nice evening run. Last 3 in the company of my youngest.

Thursday 20/11/2014
    6.78m @ 08:55 avg pace (Recovery)

Got 60mins in on a miserable evening. Just trying to get back into regular running so getting out the door was the main thing. Pace wasn't that big a concern.

Friday 21/11/2014
    6.04m @ 08:27 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Another one ticked off.

Saturday 22/11/2014
    10.86m @ 07:51 avg pace (Med-Long)

I headed out for this one at lunchtime after completing my Run Director duties at St Anne's parkrun. Kicked off with 5m wu @ 08:02 avg pace and then the plan was to push on to 07:38 pace which is my target pace for the pacing job in Clontarf next week. Aerobically all was good but right hamstring was still tight and legs were a little more tired than I would have liked. Lovely day for running but the wind was a b*tch on the way back along the coast. I hope it doesn't do that next week.

Finish off the afternoon nicely with a trip to the Aviva with Mrs FBOT to see what turned out to be a cracking game of Rugby.

Sunday 23/11/2014
    3.14m @ 10.04) avg pace (Recovery)

Nice recovery run in the company of Mrs FBOT. Another lovely day for running. Dublin Bay looked great early this morning. That's 6 out of 7 days this week so I am happy with that even if there were a lot of easy mile included.

Noggles Watch - Hamstring still tight and ankle is a little sore, Head is also still blocked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

The road down to the beach at the wooden bridge side was like a river yesterday. Hope that clears up too as otherwise I presume runners would 've sent along the pier and down the steps which could be awkward with the expected numbers!

And then there's the headwind :)

Killerz wrote: »
    The road down to the beach at the wooden bridge side was like a river yesterday. Hope that clears up too as otherwise I presume runners would 've sent along the pier and down the steps which could be awkward with the expected numbers!

And then there's the headwind :)

Yeah. My mother-in-law was telling that yesterday. The steps would be a serious H&S issue. If the wind is like yesterday morning it won't be too bad but Saturday was a pain. No such thing as a free lunch and we could be working hard for ours on Saturday.

Monday 24/11/2014
    4.5m @ 08:50 avg pace (Recovery)

Still keeping it all very easy and the right hamstring is just not 100%. With pacing duties for Clontarf Half on Saturday I don't want to do anything silly. I managed to get an appointment for a rub at short notice in the evening. It was definitely overdue by a couple of weeks. A real torture session but hopefully it will do the job.

Tuesday 25/11/2014
    5.46m @ 08:54 avg pace (Recovery)

More of the same easy stuff with the Hamstring working a little better after yesterday's flush out. My youngest joined me for 3 of these. She took full advantage of my cautious approach with the leg and stormed home unchallenged in the final sprint..........I hope this is not a sign of things to come:)

Lovely evening with very little breeze on the seafront. I would take that on Saturday.

Thursday 27/11/2014
    7.81m @ 07:45 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Another lovely clear crisp evening for running and little wind to speak of along the coast in Clontarf. Plan was to get an hour or so in finishing along the coast back towards town with a few miles at target pacing pace for Saturday. After 4m up through Raheny and Kilbarrack I headed down towards the seafront and picked up the pace to sub 7:40. No problems aerobically and the rub on Monday has made a big difference to the hamstring. A few stretches afterwards just to be sure to be sure.

Hopefully after the weekend I can start to do some more varied training as everything has been a little one dimensional for the last couple of months. I am a few weeks behind where I would like to be so I will be spending early next week studying AMK's log for session ideas and waiting with bated breath to see what Ecolii has in store for TbL as it looks like we are all heading for the same place at the end of January.....Raheny 5!!

Friday 28/11/2014
    4.58m @ 08:33 avg pace (Easy)

A gentle lunchtime jog down the bull wall to check out the lie of the land for the Clontarf Half the next day. Lovely crisp day for running with very little wind.

Saturday 29/11/2014
    13.1m @ 07:35 avg pace (Clontarf Half Pacing 1:40)

Couldn't have asked for a better day for this. There was a full complement of boards pacers with my 1:40 partner in crime being Gijma and we were followed up by Meno, CL, Killerz, Pointer28, Mathastew and Super Joe.......they were all in good form and did a excellent job as you would expect.

All went according to plan. Usual issues with space being at a premium along the seafront but there was a great atmosphere around and on a whole this is a good event. A couple of particular things hammered this home to me and put a smile on my face for day. Firstly, there was the female Garda who rolled up her sleeves at the water station on the causeway and helped out dishing out water and secondly, was the sight of Marthastew and Super Joe giving a Vet Runner a guard of honour to the finish line whether he wanted it or not he was going sub 2:00:)

This was the best run I have had since Berlin and as my mind was otherwise occupied with my pacing responsibilities I felt little or no tightness/pain in my hamstring. Although there was that much tiger balm on it that I am not sure I was feeling it at all.

The day was topped off nicely when Mrs FBOT bagged a 2 min + PB that's 12mins down since her debut in April.

Monday 01/12/2014
    5.64m @ 08:09 avg pace (Easy w/10-12mins Continuous "Diagonals")

Decided it was time to start putting a bit of quality back into my running so I took a visit to Ecolii Continuos Training Thread for a few ideas. I went back to the start of the thread and decided to take on his week one sessions this week. I had no football pitch or track that I could use in the dark last night so just did it along the seafront. I ran the 5k pace sections between 6 lampposts and then ran easy between 4 and repeated for just short of 12mins. I couldn't see the watch but did hit the lap button at each change over so I could see later how it went. The fast sections were a bit laboured and while the hamstring is definitely better it's not there yet. The first couple I actually felt like I was favouring my left side but this settled down when I got moving. I was pleasantly surprised when I downloaded the watch to find the splits were reasonable consistent at between 5:45/5:50 pace. Happy out with that as a starting point.

I plan to do the Ecolii sessions on Monday and Wednesday for the next few weeks with a long run on Saturday and easy running in between. Planning to bring the weekly mileage back up to +50miles by early January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Saturday 29/11/2014
    13.1m @ 07:35 avg pace (Clontarf Half Pacing 1:40)

Couldn't have asked for a better day for this. There was a full complaint of boards pacers...

They can be cranky alright ;)

Well done on the pacing job and congrats to the Mrs.

Murph_D wrote: »
    They can be cranky alright ;)

Well done on the pacing job and congrats to the Mrs.

Cheers Murph.

Always nice to see that someone is actually reading my log:D

• Advertisement

Cheers Murph.

Always nice to see that someone is actually reading my log:D

Yea but it's mainly the auld cranky lads :)

TbL

Yea but it's mainly the auld cranky lads :)

TbL

My peers:)

Tuesday - 02/12/2014
    6.05m @ 08:56 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice easy recovery run on a fresh night. I was joined for the last 5k by my youngest who after successfully finishing her first full 5k run proceeded to hand me my ass on a plate.

We had about 200m to go to the house when I decided that due to my tight hamstring I better not leave it too late to kick as I would struggle to get up to speed. So I started to wind up.....but I wasn't the only one. Herself also hit the accelerator and to my surprise not only could she hold the pace to the house but despite my best efforts I could not catch her. That's the last time we will be trying that without two good legs:)

Wednesday 03/12/2014
    8.87m @ 08:36 avg pace (General Aerobic/Easy)

Another nice run on a crisp evening. First official night of winter running for me as I donned the running tights for the first time this winter. Brass monkeys leaving the house but nicely refreshed when I returned.

Thursday 04/12/2014
    7.59m @ 07:59 avg pace (LT w/20min Tempo)

This was the second session in week one of Ecolii's Continuity Training Thread and the first time I had done any Tempo work in a good while. The prescribed pace was 10k/10m pace or a pace you could hold for any hour. For me this should have been 06:15 or thereabouts. However, I decided if I could keep it under 06:30 it would do me fine for now.

Started with a 20min wu before doing the 20mins Tempo and then finished off with a 20min cd.

Tempo Splits were:

1m @ 06:24
    1m @ 06:26
    1m @ 06:26
    0.1m @ 06:26

This was a tough workout. While I kept everything in control and worked on holding good form, I did have to work at a decent effort to hold the pace.....not sure I could have kept going for an hour:eek:

As I ran I thought back to my last training cycle and found it amusing as I remembered that in early September I did a 19:33 parkrun in Watertown after running the 8miles+ to get there and then ran back home thinking nothing of it. How quickly we can take a step back in fitness never ceases to amaze me.

One step forward and one step back..........after my first week back in the pursuit of quality running I passed on running over the weekend and decided to get seriously into the Christmas spirit instead with the first of the Christmas parties for 2014. Waaaayyyyyyyyy too much food and drink consumed but thoroughly enjoyed most of it:)

Heading into week 2 of Ecolii's Continuity Training Sessions now with Fartlek this evening. Will report back later how I get on.

Well done to all those who PB'd over the weekend and I can sympathise with all those who struggled......this running lark really doesn't cut us too much slack when we take a little downtime irrespective of how on our game we where beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

this running lark really doesn't cut us too much slack when we take a little downtime irrespective of how on our game we where beforehand.

So true :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey M,

Have you tried/heard about the Kinetic Revolution 30 day Challenge?
    http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/?sc=KRtopBar
    It would be very suited to you with your hamstring issue.

I'm on Day 8 and I think I can feel the benefits already.
    (I'm doing the exercises approximately every second day rather than every day)

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey M,

Have you tried/heard about the Kinetic Revolution 30 day Challenge?
    http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/?sc=KRtopBar
    It would be very suited to you with your hamstring issue.

I'm on Day 8 and I think I can feel the benefits already.
    (I'm doing the exercises approximately every second day rather than every day)

Thanks J. Will have a look at it.

Monday 08/12/2014
    8.03m @ 08:24 avg pace (Fartlek 2/1/3/1/2)

Back into another of Ecolii session. I have never done a fartlek type session before and it was a good workout. It would have been better if I could have set the watch up correctly and didn't have to do manual lapping to get splits. 1st and last reps are the most accurate and the aim was to try to ensure the last was at least as fast as the first. Splits broke down as follows:

| | Avg Pace m/min
    wu | 2.34m | 08:37
    1 | 2mins | 05:32
    2 | 1min | 05:10
    3 | 3mins | 05:38
    4 | 1min | 05:05
    5 | 2mins | 05:24
    cd | 3.03m | 09:11

Really enjoyed this session. I never thought 2 mins was that long until I hit this first rep. Mind you the 2 mins rest interval seemed much shorter :confused:

Tuesday 09/12/2014
    7.97m @ 08:57 avg pace (Easy)

First 4 miles were solo and then my youngest joined me for the next 4. Let her off easy by choosing a route that was with the strong wind rather than against it. She was happy out with this and decided to add an extra mile on at the end. She claimed she was knackered throughout the last mile and then dropped the hammer with 200 to go. I decided not to risk it so let her go:)

Thursday 11/12/2014
    11.76m @ 07.58 avg pace (Cruise Intervals 4x10mins @ MPE)

This was the second Ecolii Session of the week. I struggle to figure out what MPE should feel like. I normal run everything by the watch rather than by feel. So I knew MP should be 6:45 or thereabouts but couldn't remember how that felt. Anyway set off out the coast to Sutton and then back in through Baldoyle, Donaghmede, Raheny, etc. I was wind supportted on the way out and other than between Baldoyle and Donaghmede was not very exposed to the wind on the way back. Split were as follows:

wu 20mins | 08:45
    10mins | 07:03 (took a while to find a rhythm)
    10mins | 06:51 (settled into nice wind supported rhythm)
    10mins | 07:07 (turned into the wind and off the coast and started the drag through Baldoyle towards Donaghmede)
    10mins | 07:15 (still heading into the wind and uphill was feeling it at this stage)
    cd 3.1m | 08:38

Another enjoyable session on a miserable evening.

Friday 12/12/2014
    6.5m @ 10:00 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice easy recovery run including 3m with Ferris B and a couple of miles with Mrs FBOT.

Saturday 13/12/2014
    10m @ 07:53 avg pace (Med-Long)
    3.09m @ 06:31 avg pace (parkrun St Anne's)

Headed early to get in a few miles before parkrun. The plan was a 10 mile progression run followed by a reasonable parkrun. The 10 mile warm-up was to give me a good excuse not to go full-on at parkrun. The first 5m went according to plan were as planned at sub 08:00 pace. However, I could find the next gear for the next 5 and kept just dropping back into the same pace each time i tried to pick up. Didn't lose too much sleep over it.

Lined up for parkrun beside Yaboya but quickly told him to toddle off and that I would see him at the end. After starting too fast I settled into an OK pace and just watched those around me to see who I could target to pick off on the second lap to try to get me under 20mins. Past Duanington (out for his morning jog) coming down the avenue on the first lap and suggested he join me but he wasn't biting. Ran lap 2 a little better and ran a decent last mile for it being mile 13 of the day. Finished in 20:08 which was a fair reflection of how I ran it and the fact there was no-one within near me to push me home or for me to chase home. Split were as follows:

1m | 06:39
    1m | 06:43
    1m | 06:15
    0.1m | 05:38

Got a proper intro to Duanington at the finish before heading for the cafe and a well deserved coffee.

Good to get back pushing myself in a more competitive environment even if I wasn't pushing myself nearly hard enough.

Tuesday 16/12/2014
    10.58m @ 08:11 avg pace (Progression Intervals 6/5/4/3/2/1 w/50% Recovery)

Miserable evening for running. Wet and windy. Jumped into week 4 of Ecolii Session this week. It was a tough one and the conditions didn't help

wu 20mins | 08:35 avg pace
    6mins | 06:14 avg pace (target here was HMP or 06:19. This one was with the strong wind but was still a good effort)
    5mins | 06:11 avg pace (target was again HMP but this time I had turned back into the wind. Had to work very hard to hold the pace)
    4mins | 06:15 (target moved to 10K pace or 06:00 but into the wind I could get nowhere near this. However I was working damn hard and this was the toughest rep of the night)
    3mins | 06:10 (target was again 10k pace. I was still knackered from the previous rep so even with the wind I didn't hit the target)
    2mins | 06:00 (target moved to 5k pace or 05:45. Should have hit this one)
    1min | 05:52 (target remained at 5k pace)
    cd 3.2m | 09:20 avg pace

My youngest joined me for this despite the dreadful conditions. I didn't make it easy for her this week and ran the usual loop clockwise into the wind and rain along the coast. This took the wind out of her sails and the hammer didn't quite drop as hard on the run in:D

Wednesday 17/12/2014
    5.35m @ 09:26 avg pace (Recovery)

Did exactly what it said on the tin.

Nice going FBOT,

Any targets for the sub 3 yet?

How Ferris doing?

TbL

• Advertisement

Nice going FBOT,

Any targets for the sub 3 yet?

How Ferris doing?

TbL

Cheers TbL.

No target yet but it is likely to be Autumn rather than Spring. Maybe DCM or a sneaky trip to Frankfurt I hear its a handy track:)

I am in no rush. I am happy to let you and Meno get over the line first:D

Ferris is doing grand. Still lurking around these parts on occasions while ticking off his 2 or 3 5ks a week. I'd say he will be delighted to get back at it .....in the meantime he is filling his spare time with good golf and bad wine or maybe that's the other way around:)

Friday - 19/12/2014

Busy week meant no running on Thursday and just about squeezed in another one of Ecolii's sessions on Friday. Had to trim the warm-up and cool down but got the hard stuff done. Broke down as follows:

wu 10 mins | 08:38
    5mins | 06:19 (HMP - with the wind)
    5mins | 08:35 (Easy)
    10mins | 06:46 (MPE - with the wind but included Watermill Road drag. Watched the watch and made this MP rather than MPE as I struggle with feel/effort running)
    5mins | 09:01 (Easy - uphill into the wind)
    5mins | 06:17 (HMP - 50% against the wind then downhill to the end)
    5mins | cd 07:50 (Easy - downhill)

Good session. Glad to squeeze it in.

Saturday 20/12/2014
    5k @ 08:35 avg pace (parkrun - St Anne's)
    9.18m @ 08:18 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Agreed to pace Mrs FBOT for a PB attempt in St Anne's. Job done and a 20sec PB in the bag. Well deserved result. She was very happy to finish out the year with a good performance. The youngest also made her debut. She finished just behind her mother and now knows the difference between training and "racing".....she ran with a friend and I think they spent most of the first lap gabbing but they certainly put in a good second lap and hopefully, she will be back for more.

It was a lovely fresh day and I had a longing on me to run so I went back out again at lunchtime. Had a couple of jobs to do so decided to use Shanks' mare as the mode of transport. Headed into to town via North Strand down along the quays and back out by the Point. On route I managed to pick up some electrical connections that I needed to fix a kitchen light, in addition, to getting my Christmas haircut. Productive 75 mins all-round.

Right leg still not quite 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Saturday 20/12/2014
    5k @ 08:35 avg pace (parkrun - St Anne's)
    9.18m @ 08:18 avg pace (General Aerobic)

Agreed to pace Mrs FBOT for a PB attempt in St Anne's. Job done and a 20sec PB in the bag. Well deserved result. She was very happy to finish out the year with a good performance. The youngest also made her debut. She finished just behind her mother and now knows the difference between training and "racing".....she ran with a friend and I think they spent most of the first lap gabbing but they certainly put in a good second lap and hopefully, she will be back for more.

It was a lovely fresh day and I had a longing on me to run so I went back out again at lunchtime. Had a couple of jobs to do so decided to use Shanks' mare as the mode of transport. Headed into to town via North Strand down along the quays and back out by the Point. On route I managed to pick up some electrical connections that I needed to fix a kitchen light, in addition, to getting my Christmas haircut. Productive 75 mins all-round.

Right leg still not quite 100%.

Hah?? You go into your Barbers (I'm guessing it's not a 'Hairdressers") in the middle of a run and with some dodgy electrical gear around your neck!

Last 2 weeks have been busy ones but managed to get in a few runs and to kick off my first training plan of 2015 which will bring me up to the Ballycotton 10 on 8th March 2015 taking in the Raheny 5 on the way.

Summary of my running since my last post is as follows:

23/12/2014 - 6.35m @ 08:43 avg pace (Recovery)

24/12/2014 - No running;

25/12/2014 - Goal Dash in St Anne's with my youngest. Traditional this run goes the length of the Avenue in St Anne's which is about 200m short of the full mile so doesn't qualify as Goal Mile. This year the Christmas Kingdom set up in the park meant a slight detour off the Avenue and around the Rose Gardens. I thought that they were going to take the opportunity to make it the full mile so got a caught out by where the finish was and it nearly turned out to be a very embarrassing start to Christmas. As we came around the Rose Garden my daughter dropped off me slightly and I checked over my left shoulder and could see her a couple of yards behind me. I then saw the finish which was earlier than I expected it to be. I glanced again over my left shoulder to check all was OK with my daughter but couldn't see her. I looked ahead of me and there she was pulling away after dropping the hammer and passing me on my blindside. I had the accelerator hard and only caught her with a yard or two to spare. In fact if the truth be told I suspect that she may have thought she had it in the bag so coasted to the finish line rather than keeping the head down through to the finish. Either way my blushes were saved and I milked it for the day as payback for her sneaky (but nicely done) overtaking manoeuvre. Caught up and exchanged Christmas wished with Ferris B and few others before heading home to spend the rest of the day over indulging in food and overloading on caffeine.

26/12/2014 - No running. In the MIL's for dinner so loads more food and caffeine as I was designated driver for the day. Felt like I was coming down with something and hit the hay as soon as we got in, complete with aches, pains and shivers.

27/12/2014 - No running. Was on the volunteer roster for St Anne's parkrun so dragged myself out of bed and did my best to muster some enthusiasm to support the runners from my marshalling post. Mrs FBOT was also on duty while the youngest rolled out of bed and clocked a very respectable 24:55 on only her second parkrun. Crawled back into bed after parkrun and stayed there for the rest of the day.

28/12/2014 - 7.72m @ 07:59 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy). Felt a little better after another lazy day but still hadn't eaten anything other than porridge since Friday. However, I had had a miserable running week so was keen to try to get 60mins or so in. Headed out early evening and really enjoyed this run on a crisp winters night. Had a bunch of friends over later in the evening and didn't get to bed until 5am:eek: However, the couple of days of being under the weather meant that I was carefully about what I ate and drank so it was as "bad" as it could have been.

29/12/2014 - No running.

30/12/2014 - 9.88m @ 08:00 (10x2mins @ 10k RI90s) Kicked off the first day of Ballycotton training plan. I am going to follow the one that Ecolii suggested to me on the Continuity Training Thread. Average paces for the reps in this session broke down as follows: 06:17/06:10/06:11/06:10/06:02/06:05/06:07/06:03/06:07/06:00. Very happy with this session as it was very controlled. I know the recovery intervals were generous but I was still pleasantly surprised that I could hold the pace and feel strong throughout. No serious heavy breathing required and legs held up well.

31/12/2014 - 4.92m @ 08:37 avg pace (Recovery) Nice easy recovery run to bring 2014 to a close.

..........will be back shortly to give my thoughts on 2014 as a running year for me and also to update first runs of 2015.

PB Summary | | |
    Distance | 31/12/2013 | 31/12/2014 |
    5k | 18:19 | 18:19 | Didn't race a 5k all year
    5m | 34:20 | 30:57 | Raheny 5 (Jan)
    10k | 39:05 | 38:42 | Kilbride 10k (Jul)
    10m | 1:04:36 | 1:02:06 | Frank Duffy 10m (Aug)
    HM | 1:28:56 | 1:28:56 | Didn't race a HM all year
    Mar | 3:13:16 | 3:00:59 | Berlin Marathon (Sept)

On a whole 2014 was a good running year for me. I doubled my Marathon count from 3 to 6 by completing Connemara, Berlin and DCM (pacing 4:10) during the year with Connemara being my first spring marathon. I hit my first +70 mile week and my first +300 mile month. My total mileage for the year was 2,361 up from 1,933 in 2013. I also raced in Raheny 5, Ballycotton 10, Kilrbride 10k, Mulligar 10mile and Frank Duffy 10mile and managed to achieve PB's in each. However, as 2014 was all about the Berlin Marathon for me its not surprising that both my highlight and lowlight are focused on it.

Highlight:
    Berlin Marathon - This was my first marathon major and I committed my year to it. Other than the obvious, it was well and truly worth it. A great event and a memorable experience in every way.....the race, the event, the city and the company were all perfect. A result starting with a 2 would have put the icing on the cake but as I said at the time sometimes sh*t happens:)

Lowlight:
    Berlin Marathon - not having Ferris B to chase down or drag along over the last mile but as above sometimes sh*t happens:(

Lessons Learnt
    - High mileage training needs to be supplemented with good flexibility and strength training together with correct nutrition. I believe that I came out of my last two training blocks fitter but physically weaker than I went into them. I became leaner but I didn't only lose fat, I also lost muscle mass from one dimensional training without proper regard to diet. IMHO this is the key factor to most of my niggles and is also responsible for me coughing and spluttering to various degrees for the last 3 months;

- Pacing 4:10 in DCM thought me that time of my feet is much more painful than running the marathon distance.....the old saying of "it is the pace that kills rather than the distance" was never more true. Never again will I pace so far off my long run pace never mind my marathon pace;

- I enjoy running but don't like to run for the enjoyment of it. I need to have targets and plans to work to keep me on track;

- The running community really is that and it is great to be part of it.:)

• Advertisement

01/01/2015 - 8m @ 08:06 avg pace (Easy)

Headed to Mount Wolseley in Tullow for New Year's Eve and the first few days of the New Year with Family and friends. After a great night that involved eating, drinking, singing, dancing along with a few rowdy games of Heads up and Charades I headed out at lunchtime for the first run of the year. Hadn't a clue of the lie of the land around Tullow and stuck to the main road as this in generally the best place to avoid the loose dogs that are often found wondering lonely country roads. However, the flip side of that is that you are taking your life in your hands with mad speeding drivers cutting things a bit close. At one stage if I had moved 12ins to the left I was well ad truly dead as a wannabe in an SUV sped past. Bigger problem would have been if he had had moved a couple of inches to his left as I had no where to go on my right to escape. Anyway other than the near miss I enjoyed the run but decided not to chance the main road again on this trip.

Finished off by meeting up with the crew for a nice dip in the pool and a very therapeutic swim that probably need more for my niggles than anything else I have done in a long time. Legs felt refreshed after it.

02/01/2015 - 7m including 30mins @ MP (06:45)

Decided to head to the hotel Gym early and get this done on the deardmill..........should have been 45 mins MP but it was shear torture so canned it after 30. I can't remember the last time I ran on a treadmill never mind tried to do a session on one. I will remember this one and it will be a long time before I try it again. I love myself as much as the next guy but running on a treadmill looking at myself in a mirror just doesn't work for me.

03/01/2015 - 7m @ 07:58 avg pace (Easy w/7x100m Strides)

Back in the big smoke for this one. After a lazy day I headed out for this one in the late afternoon. I made a concious effort to get the blood flowing early on this one and after the first mile I settled into a nice steady rhythm. I focused on keeping form while ensuring the effort was easy rather than recovery. Throw the strides in at the end and for the first time in a long time I was on my toes with a real spring in my step for pretty much all of them. Good run.

04/01/2015 - 12.4m @ 07:42 avg pace (Med-Long Progression)

Went back to the progression format that I like for this one. 4/4/4 @ 08:00/07:40/07:20 avg pace. Another enjoyable run. A good way to finish off the first week of the new programme.

05/01/2015 - 9:39 m @ 07:38 avg pace (5x6mins @ HMP RI90s)

This was the first of two sessions in the schedule for this week. HMP for current programme is 06:25-06:30. I had the watch set-up correctly so it meant I could just concentrate on on form and keep a good steady rhythm. Very happy with the consistency of the splits and in particular, I was happy to be able to push the last one a little without having to go OTT as it was up a nice little drag while the rest were along the seafront. Avg pace for the reps where 06:28/06:29/06:29/06:29/6:26.

06/01/2015 - 4.36m @ 08:34 avg pace (Recovery)

Did what it says on the tin.

07/01/2015 - 9.36m @ 08:14 avg pace (Easy)

I had been chained to the desk all day so hadn't appreciated what the weather was like outside before I headed out. All started nicely with a few nice easy miles up through Raheny and Donaghmeade out to Baldoyle. However, when I reached the coast and headed for home I was hit by a wall of wind and rain. I had to reach for my hat and put it on to stop the stinging needle like rain from hitting my forehead. I was just about to stick the head down for the battle when I remember that today was about easy effort so I settled in for a long and bumpy ride home. As I approached the end of Kilbarrack Road the houses started to provide a little shelter and the pace natural improved without increasing the effort. I passed another runner heading the same direction as me and said a quick Hello and kept moving on. I noticed then from the shadows that he had jumped on my coat tails and was drafting off me. This actually helped me as while we weren't running together I felt like I wasn't on a solo run anymore. At this stage it was p*ssing down and I was like a drowned rat. Effort still felt easy but as my legs were numb to the touch I am not sure what the effort actually was. My breathing felt fine though and I was enjoying every stride. If anyone looked at me splashing through the puddles getting hammered by the wind and rain with a big grin on my face they might be excused for thinking I was mad..........I even tagged on an extra half mile at the end for good measure:)

01/01/2015 - 8m @ 08:06 avg pace (Easy)

Headed to Mount Wolseley in Tullow for New Year's Eve and the first few days of the New Year with Family and friends. After a great night that involved eating, drinking, singing, dancing along with a few rowdy games of Heads up and Charades I headed out at lunchtime for the first run of the year. Hadn't a clue of the lie of the land around Tullow and stuck to the main road as this in generally the best place to avoid the loose dogs that are often found wondering lonely country roads. However, the flip side of that is that you are taking your life in your hands with mad speeding drivers cutting things a bit close. At one stage if I had moved 12ins to the left I was well ad truly dead as a wannabe in an SUV sped past. Bigger problem would have been if he had had moved a couple of inches to his left as I had no where to go on my right to escape. Anyway other than the near miss I enjoyed the run but decided not to chance the main road again on this trip.

Finished off by meeting up with the crew for a nice dip in the pool and a very therapeutic swim that probably need more for my niggles than anything else I have done in a long time. Legs felt refreshed after it.

02/01/2015 - 7m including 30mins @ MP (06:45)

Decided to head to the hotel Gym early and get this done on the deardmill..........should have been 45 mins MP but it was shear torture so canned it after 30. I can't remember the last time I ran on a treadmill never mind tried to do a session on one. I will remember this one and it will be a long time before I try it again. I love myself as much as the next guy but running on a treadmill looking at myself in a mirror just doesn't work for me.

03/01/2015 - 7m @ 07:58 avg pace (Easy w/7x100m Strides)

Back in the big smoke for this one. After a lazy day I headed out for this one in the late afternoon. I made a concious effort to get the blood flowing early on this one and after the first mile I settled into a nice steady rhythm. I focused on keeping form while ensuring the effort was easy rather than recovery. Throw the strides in at the end and for the first time in a long time I was on my toes with a real spring in my step for pretty much all of them. Good run.

04/01/2015 - 12.4m @ 07:42 avg pace (Med-Long Progression)

Went back to the progression format that I like for this one. 4/4/4 @ 08:00/07:40/07:20 avg pace. Another enjoyable run. A good way to finish off the first week of the new programme.

05/01/2015 - 9:39 m @ 07:38 avg pace (5x6mins @ HMP RI90s)

This was the first of two sessions in the schedule for this week. HMP for current programme is 06:25-06:30. I had the watch set-up correctly so it meant I could just concentrate on on form and keep a good steady rhythm. Very happy with the consistency of the splits and in particular, I was happy to be able to push the last one a little without having to go OTT as it was up a nice little drag while the rest were along the seafront. Avg pace for the reps where 06:28/06:29/06:29/06:29/6:26.

06/01/2015 - 4.36m @ 08:34 avg pace (Recovery)

Did what it says on the tin.

07/01/2015 - 9.36m @ 08:14 avg pace (Easy)

I had been chained to the desk all day so hadn't appreciated what the weather was like outside before I headed out. All started nicely with a few nice easy miles up through Raheny and Donaghmeade out to Baldoyle. However, when I reached the coast and headed for home I was hit by a wall of wind and rain. I had to reach for my hat and put it on to stop the stinging needle like rain from hitting my forehead. I was just about to stick the head down for the battle when I remember that today was about easy effort so I settled in for a long and bumpy ride home. As I approached the end of Kilbarrack Road the houses started to provide a little shelter and the pace natural improved without increasing the effort. I passed another runner heading the same direction as me and said a quick Hello and kept moving on. I noticed then from the shadows that he had jumped on my coat tails and was drafting off me. This actually helped me as while we weren't running together I felt like I wasn't on a solo run anymore. At this stage it was p*ssing down and I was like a drowned rat. Effort still felt easy but as my legs were numb to the touch I am not sure what the effort actually was. My breathing felt fine though and I was enjoying every stride. If anyone looked at me splashing through the puddles getting hammered by the wind and rain with a big grin on my face they might be excused for thinking I was mad..........I even tagged on an extra half mile at the end for good measure:)

Solid few days M,

I hear you re the treadmill, I feckin hate it, it's mental torture. The slow runs are bad enough but doing sessions on it is just pure ****e.

Anyway I've seen your photo so not surprised that you could only take 30 mins of looking at yourself in the mirror :)

It's your missus I feel sorry for!!!

TbL

Solid few days M,

I hear you re the treadmill, I feckin hate it, it's mental torture. The slow runs are bad enough but doing sessions on it is just pure ****e.

Anyway I've seen your photo so not surprised that you could only take 30 mins of looking at yourself in the mirror :)

It's your missus I feel sorry for!!!

TbL

Cheers TbL.

Things have gone downhill since that photo so I was lucky to get 30mins done:p

08/01/2015 - 16m @ 07:38 avg pace (Steady Run)

This was Session 2 for this week's training plan. Plan was 2hrs at Steady pace which for this programme is 07:30 or thereabouts. I went out with the view that as long as I stayed under 07:40 it would be a good session. This was my longest run since DCM and the first time I have ever done a "steady" run of this length. Normally I do all my long runs as progressive runs so I was a little apprehensive as to how it might go. It was windy out there again this evening and this had an influence on pace at some stages. Felt the wheels starting to come off in mile 9 when pace fell to 07:42 but had a quiet word with myself and kicked on. Finished with the wind and a 07:30 mile. Nice way to finish and overall I am very happy to bank this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

08/01/2015 - 16m @ 07:38 avg pace (Steady Run)

This was Session 2 for this week's training plan. Plan was 2hrs at Steady pace which for this programme is 07:30 or thereabouts. I went out with the view that as long as I stayed under 07:40 it would be a good session. This was my longest run since DCM and the first time I have ever done a "steady" run of this length. Normally I do all my long runs as progressive runs so I was a little apprehensive as to how it might go. It was windy out there again this evening and this had an influence on pace at some stages. Felt the wheels starting to come off in mile 9 when pace fell to 07:42 but had a quiet word with myself and kicked on. Finished with the wind and a 07:30 mile. Nice way to finish and overall I am very happy to bank this one.

That's a great run in that wind M, fair play to you

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    That's a great run in that wind M, fair play to you

Cheers, D. I see you had a nice session yourself on the track today. Plan on using it myself over the next little while so might see you up there.

09/01/2015 - 7m @ 08:15 avg pace ( Easy w/7x100m strides)

Another 7 windy miles today. Planned it so I would finish with the wind to my back. Strides weren't as lively as last week but reps 6 and 7 had a little bounce.

10/01/2015 - St Anne's parkrun 19:17

Plan for this year is to run a few more of these as I only ran 5 last year while I was there for 30+ of them. After a couple of miles warm-up and a few stretches I toed the line with a record 384 others in St Anne's this morning.

Warm up was laboured and when I was doing my stretches I could hardly touch my ankles never mind my toes so I decided that sub 20 would be good result given the increased level of training I have hit over the last couple of weeks. First lap was not pretty but when my split was called at 09:53 I was pleasantly surprised. This gave me a lift and encouraged me to push on a little. I avoided being passed on the second lap and should have clawed back a couple of places. If the truth be told I knew that I had sub 20 well in the bag and was well off my PB so just didn't have the mental strength to push myself into the pain zone with little to gain.

Still a lot to do before Raheny but seeing some progress and feeling like I am moving in the right direction.

11/01/2015 - 4m @ 09:35 avg pace (Recovery with Dog)

I had left myself short a few miles yesterday so decided that I would make a couple up today with the Dog. I was going to have to walk him anyway so just made the two of use work a little harder. Nothing to report just a nice easy run around the outer perimeter of St Anne's on a windy but otherwise pleasant enough evening.

12/01/2015 - 9.9m @ 07:57 avg pace (w/8x3mins @ 10k Pace RI120)

Took the usual route for the first session of the week. Out towards Sutton along the coast and then back to me Mammy's for dinner. After a 2.6m warm-up I kicked off the faster reps. I had the watch set-up so just tried to concentrate on form as long as the watch wasn't beeping at me. First fews reps were straight forward with little or no comment from the watch. The generous recovery meant I had no excuses not to hit the target although I could remember what I had set as 10k pace. I lost a little concentration on reps 5 and 6 and pace dropped a little but got it back OK for 7 and 8. Finished off with a 2m Cool-down.

While this wasn't too tough it was challenging enough and I did have to work hard at time to hold pace but I could have completed another couple if required. I thought I had done well and had in my head that I had 10k pace set at somewhere between 06:00 and 06:10. I was disappointed when I reviewed the splits and discovered that I must have had the outer limit set at 06:15. Probably explains why I wasn't as tired as I'd expect to have been afterwards.

Paces for the 10k reps were as follows: 05:59/06:09/06:13/06:11/06:18/06:16/06:09/06:13

I will need to adjust the zone setting on the watch to ensure 10k Pace is a lot closer to 06:00.

13/01/2015 - 5.37m @ 08:26 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice easy recovery run on a lovely crisp cold evening.

14/01/2015 - 9.35m @ 08:12 avg pace (Easy)

Got out before the worst of the weather this evening. Last couple of miles were into the wind but downhill so wasn't too bad. Not happy with pace but the effort to get closer to 08:00, my target easy pace, was more than easy so just kept the effort level consistent.

15/01/2015 - 11.99 @ 07:41 (w/50mins @ MP)

Second session of the week was 50mins @ MP. Target MP for these sessions is currently 06:45. Plan is to get this down to 06:40 for my next marathon cycle. With the weather today this was always going to be a tough ask.

I was joined for the warm-up by Ferris B. He is anxiously waiting for the all clear to up his training but in the meantime is doing just what the doctor ordered. After just over 3m we parted company both of us slightly jealous of the other, I think.....he would have loved to be putting the boot down and knocking out a half dozen more miles while I was slight envious that is ten minutes time he would be back in the warmth of his house while I would be just about ready to turn back into the wind:eek:

Next 3 miles were with the wind and kept the effort solid and the splits below the target pace. Last mile towards Sutton was tricky as roadworks meant the street lights were out and with the headlights of oncoming cars stopping my eyes from adjusting to the dark I couldn't see 10 ft in front of me. All I could do was follow the white of the cycle track and hope there was no one walking in front of me on the same line. If I didn't know the route well I could have come a cropper when the concrete bollard came into play at the Baldoyle junction.

Turned into the wind at Sutton and headed back in through Baldoyle, Donaghmeade and Raheny. The wind and the uphill drag here made these a few tough miles but I was determined to keep the splits below 07:00 pace all the way. I targeted a few cyclists along this section who were struggling against the wind and made it my mission to try the make their journey even more difficult by being left for dead by a runner while the struggled to stay upright on the bikes......mission accomplished:) Well I don't know if it made their journey any worse but it certainly made mine a lot better:D

Split for the MP section were as follows:
    06:39
    06:42
    06:41
    06:51
    06:59
    06:59
    06:56
    0.54m @ 07:16 (had to pause for traffic at road crossing in this section)

From mile 4 onwards were against the wind. Mile 7 was a little quicker as the cyclist I targeted took a little longer to shake off:)

Finished off with 1.5m cool down. Happy out with this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Not the easiest of routes for that session FBOT01, not with that wind after the turn anyway - nice going

Duanington wrote: »
    Not the easiest of routes for that session FBOT01, not with that wind after the turn anyway - nice going

Cheers, D. Lesser of two evils when the other option was back along the cycling track on the coast:)

Nice going M. You'll be a shoo-in for the next Run In The Dark.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice going M. You'll be a shoo-in for the next Run In The Dark.

Never thought of that:)

Interesting 3 or 4 mins just blindly following the White line with the sea 2m away and not being able see to where the edge was or whether there was anyone or anything in front of me. Suppose I could have slowed down but sure where would the fun be in that;)

16/01/2015 - 7m @ 08:27 avg pace (Easy w/7x100m Strides)

What a difference a day can make!! Lovely evening for running on Friday. My youngest joined me for the first 3m and then I picked up pace for next 3m before finishing with a slightly faster mile including the strides. Legs were heavy most of the way around but woke up nicely when I started the strides.

17/01/2015 - parkrun in Poppintree (2nd finisher in 19:22) + 10m @ 07:58 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy)

With St Anne's cancelled to facilitate the OT walk Mrs FBOT and I joined a few other St Anne's regulars in a bit of parkrun tourism and headed up to Poppintree.

Very cold and icy out and I nearly went on my snot walking from the car to start line. Did very very short warm up before lining up. Bumped into Belcarra and Wubble Wubble. Both in good form and as always good to catch up.

It is a three lap course and I wasn't looking to passing the finish line three times before actually.....tbc:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fair play to you getting out for another 10 miles after that. It certainly wasn't a morning to be chasing fast times. Slow as I was, I would have ended up in the pond but for the guard rails after a skid on lap 3.

Last post was done in the wee hours of Sunday morning as "Daddy's" Taxi say waiting for its passengers. Closed out when me passengers arrived and only getting back to it now.

so picking up where I left off..........

.....It is a three lap course and I wasn't looking to passing the finish line three times before actually finishing. As we headed off I threaded through the people in front until I picked up the leading group. A few tight twists and turns in the first 200m so had to thread carefully with the slippy ground. As we hit the first long straight section I was in a group of 5 blokes with the lead runner just ahead. I was blowing like an old fashion steam train at this stage due to the lack of a warm-up and I'd say the lads around me were thinkng....this poor sod in focked. Anyway kept trucking along and was happy to stay with the group rather than chase the leader. By the time lap one was over I was warmed up and breathing easier. Heading up the straight the second time two lads pulled ahead so I tagged along for the ride. As we turned at the top one continued to push....well in reality he was just holding pace while others fell off.... and I continued to tag along. He was 2nd and I was 3rd. Rhythm was fine now. Time wasn't really in my mind as I knew with the ground conditions a PB was not an option but was happy I would be under 20mins which would be a good work out. How far under 20 would be dependant on the guy in front of me? As we headed down the back straight I was mulling over where the best place to pass him would be and how late should I leave it. Then out of no where as we passed through the finish, to start the last lap, he stepped out. I gave him a quick shout to ensure he was OK which he was and then headed off around the last lap. The leader was 300/400m ahead at least and there was no way I was catching him and the next guy was a ways back so no real concerns about been caught. Game over really just had to finish it out. Ended up second finisher in 19:22.

Splits were 06:15/06:23/06:11/00:32

Good workout. Good course. All very well organised and a big shout out as always should go to the volunteers that make these events happen even on the coldest of mornings.

The original plan was to run the long way home and tag 10miles on after parkrun. It didn't take much convincing from Mrs FBOT to scrap that plan and go for coffee instead.

As I am back on a plan now, I wasn't willing to give up me miles for today so after the coffee and scone settled I headed back out and got in the planned 10miles. Turned into a lovely winter running day but these easy miles were harder than they probably would have been had I have done it straight after parkrun.

18/01/2015 - 4m @ 09:18 avg pace (Recovery)

Nice easy recovery run to close out the week.

19/01/2015 - 9.26m @ 08:09 avg pace (Intervals 12x1min @ 10K Pace RI60)

Another good Monday session done along the seafront between Clontarf and Sutton. The rest intervals appeared generous so I was keen to get the pace closer to 06:00 than the 06:15 other limit that was set in the watch for 10k Pace. I felt that I had a good consistent effort going for the first 10 but when I turned back into the breeze for 11 and 12 I knew I had slightly over egged the 11th one and then over compensated in the last one. Watch pretty much back up how these felt.

Avg pace for each of the 12 reps was 05:59/06:01/05:58/05:54/05:55/06:05/05:56/06:01/06:00/06:02/05:46/06:10

20/01/2015 - 5.37m @ 08:44 avg pace (Recovery)

Wet and cold recovery run. Nothing to report.

21/01/2015 8.76m @ 08:21 avg pace (General Aerobic - Easy w/5x100m strides)

This was a real nothing run. A real slog. Strides were probably the best bit.

A couple of twinges in the sole of my right foot which will require some attention with the golf ball. Hamstrings and glutes still tighter than I would like them to be but that been said I have done very little to loosen them out so not sure what kind of miracle I am expecting to sort this out :)

All set for Sunday?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    All set for Sunday?

Probably as set as I am going to be. It made for interesting food for thought during my run on Saturday afternoon reflecting on the parkrun earlier in the day and wondering how I am going to get on running >15secs per mile quicker on Sunday........but that what I plan to do and we will see how long I can keep it going. Will be looking to find a nice group to give me a lift (shelter) up the Howth Road as that is likely to be into the wind and is where I was very exposed last year.

You good to go?

Probably as set as I am going to be. It made for interesting food for thought during my run on Saturday afternoon reflecting on the parkrun earlier in the day and wondering how I am going to get on running >15secs per mile quicker on Sunday........but that what I plan to do and we will see how long I can keep it going. Will be looking to find a nice group to give me a lift (shelter) up the Howth Road as that is likely to be into the wind and is where I was very exposed last year.

You good to go?

I felt great up to last Saturday morning, but a rough weekend and some uncomfortable runs since have made me start to have doubts. Still, I'm going to go out at sub 29 pace and try to hang on. No more going easy on myself :P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I felt great up to last Saturday morning, but a rough weekend and some uncomfortable runs since have made me start to have doubts. Still, I'm going to go out at sub 29 pace and try to hang on. No more going easy on myself :P

I am glad to hear that. I didn't want to say but I thought you could have done better in 2014 so if you stopped taking the handy options you should have a good 2015:D.......See ya Sunday:pac::pac:

What plan are you following now M?

TbL

• Advertisement

Nice parkrun there, boss. Best of luck on Sunday. Would love to be doing it myself but out of town for the weekend.

Advertisement