Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do new printers come with ink??

Options
  • 13-01-2014 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if new printers come with ink?

Ink for printers is quite the rip off so am wondering if ink is supplied with printers or not.

Don't really fancy forking out another €50 on top of the price of a printer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Ink for printers is quite the rip off so am wondering if ink is supplied with printers or not.

Ink comes with new printers but the cartridges are less than 66% full so you will not get the same amount out of them as you will get from a replacement cartridge

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Ink comes with new printers but the cartridges are less than 66% full so you will not get the same amount out of them as you will get from a replacement cartridge

It's usually a lot less than that. Typically around 20% full. If you do a lot of printing them a laser printer or higher end ink jet like the HP officejet or some brother printers would work out a lot cheaper per page than your average printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Yes but often the cartidge is often half filled, i can highly recommend a refurb canon printer, the stock changes every day, you'll get a like new printer for 9.99 - 19.99 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canon-outlet?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 get it delivered with parcel motel .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

It's usually a lot less than that. Typically around 20% full. If you do a lot of printing them a laser printer or higher end ink jet like the HP officejet or some brother printers would work out a lot cheaper per page than your average printer.
    It is down to whether you get a starter cartridge or set up cartridges.
    It will never be down to 20% as there simply will not be enough ink for the initial set up of the printer.
    My last printer was a Kodak. I bought it as they claimed that their cartridges were cheaper than any.
    I was interested in finding out what they were offering so I weighed the initial cartridges and compaired that with replacement cartridges and I came up with a figure of 62% for the initial cartridges.
    Kodak was a disaster and cartridges were faulty and heads were faulty and Kodak were not helpful to put it mildly so after twelve months I dumped it.

I now have a HP printer, its a higher spec and whereas they state that the initial cartridges actually carry more ink than normal I did not experience that, though there was not a big difference.
    “All current HP inkjet printers use set-up cartridges, not starter (or start-up) cartridges,” she said.
    “Set-up cartridges have a yield that is comparable to a standard replacement cartridge, as well as extra ink to handle the initial servicing of the printer.
    “In the past, inkjet printers shipped with starter cartridges. Current models now ship with set-up cartridges.”
    Set-up cartridges, as HP explains at its website, are available only in the box with a new printer or with replacement print heads. They can’t be purchased from retailers.
    HP may no longer skimp on ink cartridges when shipping low-cost printers, but it admits to doing so in the past. Others still do, as I learned from Brother’s support team.
    So, when buying a printer, ask the sales staff about the initial cartridge. Check the packaging as well. With an online purchase, seek an answer before you click to proceed.
    Your goal is to ensure you have a full supply of ink at the beginning, knowing that cartridges often cost more than the printer itself.

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/spending_saving/2012/08/19/new_printers_may_not_have_full_tank_of_ink.html

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I have a Canon printer, I would not recommend it as it wont work unless there is ink in both cartridges ie if the black ink is used up, the colour wont work. I find only a small amount of ink comes with a new printer, just enough to get it up & running. I also have a HP for years & I love it!! You need to price around for ink cartridges. There can be a big variation in prices for exactly the same product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

hillbloom wrote: »
    I have a Canon printer, I would not recommend it as it wont work unless there is ink in both cartridges ie if the black ink is used up, the colour wont work. I find only a small amount of ink comes with a new printer, just enough to get it up & running. I also have a HP for years & I love it!! You need to price around for ink cartridges. There can be a big variation in prices for exactly the same product.

Not true you simply hold the resume button an it will keep printing you can refill them and keep going indefinitely on 0 ink level no chip resetting, fake chip nonsense. I print thousands upon thousands of pages on original cartridges before they eventually give up the ghost.

Advertisement