Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-in in Dublin

Options
  • 13-01-2014 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

My parents home was broken into on Friday night when they were away. Thieves managed to break through porch door then smash glass in order to open front door. At that point they then had to beat the clock on the house alarm to disable it by some very unorthodox means. This left them all the time in the world to do what they wanted.

They made away with only 2 objects but those 2 objects contained everything in my parents lives that they worked for for the past 30 years.

My parents are understandibly distraught. I am in a foreign country too far away to travel there.

People, beware of thieves, do what you can to protect your homes, as thieves don't give a second thought to the lives they ruin or the aftermath for their victims.

Just had to vent a little, even if it is sadness
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sounds pretty professional.
    Had they anyone in the house who might have spotted these objects?Otherwise it could be someone they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭green123

bytesize wrote: »
    My parents home was broken into on Friday night when they were away. Thieves managed to break through porch door then smash glass in order to open front door. At that point they then had to beat the clock on the house alarm to disable it by some very unorthodox means. This left them all the time in the world to do what they wanted.

They made away with only 2 objects but those 2 objects contained everything in my parents lives that they worked for for the past 30 years.

My parents are understandibly distraught. I am in a foreign country too far away to travel there.

People, beware of thieves, do what you can to protect your homes, as thieves don't give a second thought to the lives they ruin or the aftermath for their victims.

tell us what they were ?

diamonds ?
    bars of gold ?

why did they have such valuable items in the house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

green123 wrote: »
    tell us what they were ?

diamonds ?
    bars of gold ?

And where did you expect them to keep their valuables?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Can you explain what they did to the Alarm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sorry to read that OP.

Exact same thing happened my parents just over a month ago.

On a Friday evening too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

fussyonion wrote: »
    And where did you expect them to keep their valuables?!

Perhaps try a storage facility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Do we have to guess what the objects were?

A valuable painiting and a Ming vase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

moxin wrote: »
    Perhaps try a storage facility?

Who keeps thier valueables in a "Storage Facility"?
    Sorry to hear this OP.....
    My place got broken into Sept last year.....caught them in the act. I have nothing but sympathy. These people are lowest form of life and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

And iPad and fancy tea set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Could have been a safe I suppose doesn't matter really does it.

Sorry to hear about this OP. Some right scum out there and a lot of it has to do with our revolving door justice system. Thanks Shatter. Neighbours house got done last week also Gardai said CCTV footage of the break in was useless because of the hoods they had up even though it's obvious to all who the robbers where (two local scumbags well known to everyone in estate).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Those really expensive Jacobs biscuit boxes? Two full boxes?

sorry your folks got robbed btw op, sh1tty thing to happen to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

neckedit wrote: »

A person who wants peace of mind that their valuables are locked in a hired safe locker with 24\7 manned security in a business park. Better that than the greater risk of your house being ransacked and valuables stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Can't believe some of the responses here - I'm so sorry for your parents OP. my neighbours house was broken into before Christmas & this lovely elderly retired couple who had never been anything but hardworking & kind came home from a hospital visit to find their front window smashed in, all their tokens & jewellery taken , the car gone & later their credit card stripped - they are distraught & cannot even face going back to their home . It is disgusting how these vermin prey on people & how little regard the judges or justice " system" have for the victims, and for the long term damage this can do to their confidence or trust in their safety & security in their homes .

Singapore have the right idea - cat-of-9-tails - flogging by effective medieval means that leaves the skin torn away and permanent scarring - prison is too good for them - not that they would even get there.

I hope your parents goods might somehow be sourced & recovered ; and that they recover peace of mind. : (

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

neckedit wrote: »
    I keep my communion money locked in a lead lined vault at the bottom of a pond filled with electric eels and man eating mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Sorry to hear that OP but PLEASE GOD tell us what these 2 items were or we've got a 10+ pager on our hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

I keep my communion money locked in a lead lined vault at the bottom of a pond filled with electric eels and man eating mackerel.

Me too! but I swapped to Halibut as the mackerel were theiving bas***ds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

moxin wrote: »
    A person who wants peace of mind that their valuables are locked in a hired safe locker with 24\7 manned security in a business park. Better that than the greater risk of your house being ransacked and valuables stolen.

You Do This ^^^^......I'd love to hear how many people use storage facilities for their valuables People shouldn't have to live in fear of having their houses ransacked, I know its a utopian dream, but we are far to soft on this kind of crime, these pieces of sh*t walk a way leaving, in a lot of cases, the victims devastated for a very long time and causing no end of mental torture.

Any way hind sight is always 20/20........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Sorry to hear OP.
    House thieves are lower than the lowest scum out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just as well - too many ' inside jobs' where knacker thieves know exactly where to go or what the most valuable asset us, or the specific location to go to.

My friends daughter had her J1 money stolen from the tin under her bed - nothing else taken in the break in, my neighbours ditto - straight to the location of the biggest cash & jewellery, other family's under floor safe " found" & smashed in on payroll day - turns out it was an inside job too from family in china through contacts here - unbelievable.

Not only bring back flogging but let the family's of the victims do the flogging - or employ professional " expert" floggers & rub them down with salt or vinegar beforehand - that would make them hesitate. Nothing else seems to .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

green123 wrote: »
    tell us what they were ?

diamonds ?
    bars of gold ?

No need to be a d1ck at someone else's misfortune

Could have been as small as a hard disk full of photos or a particularly treasured piece of jewellery.

And why the hell should people live in fear anyway? The house was locked, the alarm was set. Unfortunately sometimes scum will be persistent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Sorry to read that OP.

On a practical note you should tell your parents to improve their home security as thieves are more likely to return to a place that they know how to get in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Sorry to hear about that OP.

But rather than saying a prayer for your parents, I am now thinking my most evil and vindictive thoughts and by the power of will alone the most vile and gruesome misfortune will happen to those vermin who did this.

I'm thinking anal prolapse, leprosy, continous diarrhoea, blindness, gangrene, lock jaw, scurvy, whooping cough, tuberculosis, distemper, shingles and hang nail.

C'mon everybody, the power of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that OP but PLEASE GOD tell us what these 2 items were or we've got a 10+ pager on our hands!

Grandchildren?

Sorry to hear about it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Not just Dublin. my thread in Meath forum. there has been more since. Very brazen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Happened to me a few years ago. Had insurance so the losses were covered. The worst thing was the feeling of defilement, someone rifling through your cupboards trashing the place, these people are scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

That is just awful OP. I hope they come to terms with it, and find a way to relax in their own home once more.

Watched a scary doc a while ago about just how calculating professional thieves can be. It detailed how people who have collections of any value (figurines, musical instruments etc) are at a high risk of repeat burglaries, as the professionals make an educated guess as to how long it would take for an insurance claim to be processed, and for the victims to purchase replacement items. They then often come back for a second attempt.

If there is a chance that this was done by somebody who knew your parents had these valuables, I would put the word around that they will not be replacing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Hi OP .
    Happened my family last month.
    Gardaí were brilliant,scumbags caught the following week.
    DPP awaiting file ,alas,that's where the justice system is lacking.

Pass this number on to your parents.
    Victim Support @ 116006.
    And advise them to increase their home security.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

an alarm should go off as soon as the house is broken into, why would your alarm have a time delay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Arawn wrote: »
    an alarm should go off as soon as the house is broken into, why would your alarm have a time delay

Every alarm has around 30 seconds to disarm it. In principle even if you take out the box in the hall, you would still have to deal with the outside siren and any phone/GSM warnings. The professional guys know how to disable most alarms without setting them off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Every alarm has around 30 seconds to disarm it. In principle even if you take out the box in the hall, you would still have to deal with the outside siren and any phone/GSM warnings. The professional guys know how to disable most alarms without setting them off though.

nope, ours goes off as soon as anything moves inside the house, and damag to windows etc

Advertisement