Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-in in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Arawn wrote: »
    an alarm should go off as soon as the house is broken into, why would your alarm have a time delay

How would an alarm be able to tell the difference between a break in and someone normally entering the house?

Most of them just use movement sensors, all they can do is tell that there is movement in a certain area of the house and that a door/window was opened. You could programme it to go off if an the first sign of movement is in an unorthodox place like a window but for doors the vast majority of the time the movement is going to be the person who lives in the house so it needs a delay to allow them to shut it off without annoying the heck out of their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

nope, ours goes off as soon as anything moves inside the house, and damag to windows etc

So when you open your door the alarm goes off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

So when you open your door the alarm goes off?

yup

nope, ours goes off as soon as anything moves inside the house, and damag to windows etc

You're alarm goes off every time you enter your house?

Ninja'd: Your neighbours must love you!

How would an alarm be able to tell the difference between a break in and someone normally entering the house?

Most of them just use movement sensors, all they can do is tell that there is movement in a certain area of the house and that a door/window was opened. You could programme it to go off if an the first sign of movement is in an unorthodox place like a window but for doors the vast majority of the time the movement is going to be the person who lives in the house so it needs a delay to allow them to shut it off without annoying the heck out of their neighbours.

we live in the country not the city

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So no-one cares if the alarm goes off... :confused:

Fair enough. Most people live in urban areas so not having a delay and having your alarm go off all the time would be very inconsiderate and potentially illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chinese made GSM disruptors have made an appearance in the last year on the burglary circuit, they can frustrate all remote monitored alarms.

A friend of mine in the industry said they have mainly been detected in higher level robberies at commercial premises but the more plentiful the devices get they are more likely to appear in domestic burglaries, particularly where the thieves are targeting specific houses for high value items. That may explain the 'scanner' that people have reported seeing, but the devices can be as small as a cigarette box.

So, by all means have an alarm as a deterrent but you might as well spend the monitoring charge on pedigree chum and buy a suitably cranky dog.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    So no-one cares if the alarm goes off... :confused:

We live in an area that is only our family/ family friends we sold land to. The alarm goes off, then rings house occupants then our uncles.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Moocow100

I agree with Justa thought the Singapore method is effective the get 10 lashes but over a 4 week period the first 2 hurt real bad draw blood etc but the mental anguish in the buildup before the others are administered is generally enought to deter the majority away from re-offense . Horrible scum ,it was a Neighbor of mine who broke into my fathers house ,he was caught in another Neighbors house while they were burying there grandchild a few weeks later . Class act and no reflection on the rest of his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I think half the problem is just how lawless ireland has become in the last few years and when they are brought in front of a Judge the sentences are laughable. Govt and Garda cut backs and the likes but God forbid you don't wear your seatbelt or pay your car tax.

The laws that are imposed on us law abiding citizens as in car tax etc are necessary but the guys with 70 convictions etc and playstations in prison etc need another deterrent the prison system is outdated and does not work the police can only enforce the laws in existence . Now everybody except the victim of crime has rights . Its time for the minister for justice to re think the system . Prison officers allow drug use and mobile phone use in prison because of intimidation and lack of protection for there families. Im not calling for public hanging or anything so brash but there has to be something else .

Moocow100 wrote: »
    The laws that are imposed on us law abiding citizens as in car tax etc are necessary but the guys with 70 convictions etc and playstations in prison etc need another deterrent the prison system is outdated and does not work the police can only enforce the laws in existence . Now everybody except the victim of crime has rights . Its time for the minister for justice to re think the system . Prison officers allow drug use and mobile phone use in prison because of intimidation and lack of protection for there families. Im not calling for public hanging or anything so brash but there has to be something else .

what a stupid statement

I think half the problem is just how lawless ireland has become in the last few years and when they are brought in front of a Judge the sentences are laughable. Govt and Garda cut backs and the likes but God forbid you don't wear your seatbelt or pay your car tax.

I heard on the radio this morning that the number of people entering the prison system is at an all time low. This was said in a congratulatory way too, I was a bit confused. I thought space in prisons was the main reason behind weak prosecutions for repeat offenders, but now I have no idea what judges are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

We live in an area that is only our family/ family friends we sold land to. The alarm goes off, then rings house occupants then our uncles.

You have trained everybody around to ignore your alarm when it goes off. Proper burglars cut the phone lines, carry a GSM jammer and knock off the siren within seconds. The only difference between your alarm and a normal one, is you piss off your family and if the burglars **** up and leave it running a little longer it's unlikely anybody would notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I heard on the radio this morning that the number of people entering the prison system is at an all time low. This was said in a congratulatory way too, I was a bit confused. I thought space in prisons was the main reason behind weak prosecutions for repeat offenders, but now I have no idea what judges are thinking.

Keeping a few cells free for the bankers...... oh wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

what a stupid statement

Stupid really ??

I think he's bang on ...

the_monkey wrote: »
    Stupid really ??

I think he's bang on ...

you think prison officers stand around in work cowering while prisoners take whatever drugs they want while ringing up family?

To Be honest Arawn I wasn't going to answer your comment but you know every langer has an option some of us are just a little more articulate. I never said that about Prison officers my comment is know to be factual as in drug use and use of mobile phones in prisons combined with intimidation of Prison officers .
    My general comment was on the Justice system as a whole and how the sentencing and punishments inflicted on those convicted of committing crime is carried out and what a lack of a deterrent that is ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

an alarm should go off as soon as the house is broken into, why would your alarm have a time delay

All alarms have a time delay so a person can turn it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

All alarms have a time delay so a person can turn it off

There's a time delay when the front door is opened, that time delay does not apply to windows and back doors etc. Only the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

My dads car was stolen from outside our house. Evening time in the summer so still bright, with several people in the house.

My dad maintains he left the keys on the hall table and hadn't properly closed the front door so someone snuck in and grabbed them, however I have an inkling he left them in the front door. He was only home about 20 minutes though, so whether the person snuck it or walked up our driveway and took the keys out of the door, it was still an incredibly brazen move. They would have known there was at least one person in the house at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

tallus wrote: »
    There's a time delay when the front door is opened, that time delay does not apply to windows and back doors etc. Only the front door.

There's shock sensors on my doors,there's a delay when you open the front door to allow me to turn off the alarm when I go into the house,pir's all over the place aswell.

Down my way there's been a spate of robberies but all the houses targeted have no alarms.

The first guy caught on my property will have to be arrested in the hospital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

im just curious to know what was taken. the only 2 items i can think of are wedding rings. i dont know. sorry for your parents loss op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

you think prison officers stand around in work cowering while prisoners take whatever drugs they want while ringing up family?

It's not so obvious, but you can imagine there is a fear to be the one
    to confiscate a mobile of some toerag who would then go on to threaten the officers family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mine was done on a Friday evening too a few months ago. They obviously had done some reconnaissance because they knew the parents were away and nobody was home, hardly a coincidence. Fortunately we don't keep much of value at home, they got a few pieces of jewellery but nothing major. Also passed over lots of items, like MacBooks and other things, only interest in cash and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zerks wrote: »
    The first guy caught on my property will have to be arrested in the hospital.
    So he can sue you? Or come back with friends? Why take the risk?

=-=

OP, sorry for your loss. Consider getting a large dog, if for nothing else than to give your parents some sense of peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

tallus wrote: »

I was talking about doors should have made it clear sorry my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

30 seconds is too long, think the one in my parents home is about 15 seconds...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lemme get this straight, there was a break-in in Dublin?? I'm not sure whether to believe this or not. Theres been nothing on the news about it, and nothing on the RTE website.

Advertisement