Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-in in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Lemme get this straight, there was a break-in in Dublin?? I'm not sure whether to believe this or not. Theres been nothing on the news about it, and nothing on the RTE website.

I know, it's about as newsworthy as a sarcastic, insensitive cunt in After Hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Mine was done on a Friday evening too a few months ago. They obviously had done some reconnaissance because they knew the parents were away and nobody was home, hardly a coincidence. Fortunately we don't keep much of value at home, they got a few pieces of jewellery but nothing major. Also passed over lots of items, like MacBooks and other things, only interest in cash and gold.

Ditto in my parents case.

Although the bastards took my sister's i-pad too.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    30 seconds is too long, think the one in my parents home is about 15 seconds...

My folks did have theirs set at 30, but after the break in they reduced it to 5 seconds, which I think is too short but if it gives them peace of mind who am I to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    I know, it's about as newsworthy as a sarcastic, insensitive cunt in After Hours.

Why don't you tame the kunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

After reading this thread this morning I was extra vigilant heading out for work afterwards. All doors double locked, valuables and laptops out of sight, alarm on. I come home to the news that my neighbour has been burgled.
    Fu*king scummy c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know the video is trying to shock you. But everything said in it is actually true and thats messed up.

Yup ladies and gentlemen if you have a pvc front or back door chances are you have a euro cylinder lock. Which is as easy to break as shown in the video. Am pretty sure my front door and backdoor are these kind of locks and its just so annoying that they are still being used today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry to hear of your hassle bytesize. :( Thieving mouthbreathing and O2 wasting scum. :mad::mad: This is why I'm glad my gaff is very rarely left unattended and even on those rare ocassions where it is my very large, very aggressive and very xenophobic hound has the run of the place and he has more than the usual capacity to seriously injure or better yet cause the demise of a burglar or two. Save on doggie food for a couple of days anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Had my car broke into once, they only took €5 in change I had hidden for parking/tolls in the ash tray and a cap. The hassle of changing the broken window was annoying but even though nothing valuable was taken or the cost of replacing the window wasn't much I was a bit shook after it. Just felf like they invaded my personal place, my heart goes out to those who's houses get done. Especially if you have kids or a wife/girlfriend living in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

My house was ransacked a few months ago while everyone was asleep upstairs. Car, money etc taken. Burglars dont get prison sentences in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

Have been broken into twice in D4, gardai said the first time was completely opportunistic and that a chub lock on the front door stops 80% of burglaries. 2nd time is still a mystery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

green123 wrote: »
    tell us what they were ?

diamonds ?
    bars of gold ?

why did they have such valuable items in the house ?
    They... didn't answer your question so why are you coming up with your own answer?
    moxin wrote: »
    Perhaps try a storage facility?
    moxin wrote: »
    A person who wants peace of mind that their valuables are locked in a hired safe locker with 24\7 manned security in a business park. Better that than the greater risk of your house being ransacked and valuables stolen.
    Maybe wait until they confirm what the items were before pontificating pretty much that the burglary is their fault rather than the fault of the burglars? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

There was a public consultation on crime a few years ago & my big regret is that I didn't highlight it - I kind of felt it was for the " experts" - I was more innocent then. When it was published I got a copy & was nearly sick - the ONLY people who had made submissions were the likes of the liberals /prisoners families organisations/ prisoners welfare support organisations. All advocating softer community based " chances to reform & rehabilitate in the community". It sticks with me. I so regret no ringing Joe f'ing Fluffy & highlighting it do all the angry & the victims would have a say . Harsher crueler sentences. One of my biggest regrets.

Maybe we should start lobbying ourselves - every time a politician ( regardless whom) opens a centre, or unveils a plaque - might get something finally done or started about this endless crime pays failure .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

the last 2 times i went abroad , i have had my tablet stolen , once in a break in , and once in an airport , within 3 months of each one :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A dog does the trick (provided you're willing and able to look after it properly of course). It doesn't even have to be big, the noise of the bark alone is enough to put robbers off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very true PD, even the smallest doggie is a damn fine alert and defence system, but the scum can be so brazen and worse violent these days that a dog capable of actually causing serious physical damage is often a better bet.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Sorry to hear OP. Had the same happen to me a few months ago. It is rampant at the moment and no one is interested in doing anything about it. I know of a lot of others that have also been done since and some more than once. I know one family who were broken into twice in one week. Would be in your parents interest to sort out the alarm and security again asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Can't believe some of the responses here - I'm so sorry for your parents OP. my neighbours house was broken into before Christmas & this lovely elderly retired couple who had never been anything but hardworking & kind came home from a hospital visit to find their front window smashed in, all their tokens & jewellery taken , the car gone & later their credit card stripped - they are distraught & cannot even face going back to their home . It is disgusting how these vermin prey on people & how little regard the judges or justice " system" have for the victims, and for the long term damage this can do to their confidence or trust in their safety & security in their homes .

Singapore have the right idea - cat-of-9-tails - flogging by effective medieval means that leaves the skin torn away and permanent scarring - prison is too good for them - not that they would even get there.

I hope your parents goods might somehow be sourced & recovered ; and that they recover peace of mind. : (

Saudi Arabia chop off a limb. Surely that would be a more favourable punishment for you. I'd be in favour of these kinds of punishments PROVIDING that the prosecutor, jury, whoever had to submit to the same fate if they got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

Thank for all the positive comments to everyone.

Their alarm had a delay to input the code but the burglers disabled the inside and outside before it even went off.
    They were smart and followed a thought out plan and had logic in their process.
    They hit earlyish in the evening too which kind of surprised the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

bytesize wrote: »

Their alarm had a delay to input the code but the burglers disabled the inside and outside before it even went off
    Did they guess the code correct to disable it?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

WikiHow wrote: »
    Did they guess the code correct to disable it?

no, just tore the whole thing from the walls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

no, just tore the whole thing from the walls
    They were ruthless altogether, they wont have any luck for their crimes, scum is all they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Happening every day up and down the country, there seems to be very little being done about it. No one who breaks into someone's house and steals their valuables does it as a once off, they are repeat offenders and the scum of the earth, it doesn't seem to be terribly high on the gardai's list of priorities either

I hope your parents are doing okay OP, it's a cruel and horrible thing to do to someone. As a young woman living on my own it is one of those things that crosses my mind frequently, which is why I have a dog, a hammer and a knife by my bed. I also used to keep a can of deodorant and lighter there must start doing that again and add a couple of golf clubs to the arsenal of weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Happening every day up and down the country, there seems to be very little being done about it. No one who breaks into someone's house and steals their valuables does it as a once off, they are repeat offenders and the scum of the earth, it doesn't seem to be terribly high on the gardai's list of priorities either

I hope your parents are doing okay OP, it's a cruel and horrible thing to do to someone. As a young woman living on my own it is one of those things that crosses my mind frequently, which is why I have a dog, a hammer and a knife by my bed. I also used to keep a can of deodorant and lighter there must start doing that again and add a couple of golf clubs to the arsenal of weapons.

I'd say you get an odd look when you bring back a guy.

Anyway, friend of mine told me she actually caught someone trying to break in her front door and he had the brazenness to say it was his apartment. When she said it was hers he just laughed and said he must be on the wrong floor and casually walked off. This was in the middle of the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Their alarm had a delay to input the code but the burglers disabled the inside and outside before it even went off.
    They were smart and followed a thought out plan and had logic in their process.
    They hit earlyish in the evening too which kind of surprised the guards.

Can't understand that surprised the guards. Early evening is the most common time I understood. Also, the front door is the most likely place to break into or try to break into first. Not sure the guards are all that interested anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

While in hospital a few years ago I came back to my room to find a scumbag going through my stuff, when confronted he just said it was his friends room and he had asked this guy to get him his fags. He was cool as fook and just walked out of the room.
    I was in no state to put up a fight but I did report it to a nurse immediately and she shook her head and said it happens all the time and ran off to report it to hospital security.

What kind of a scumbag targets hospital patients?

My sympathies OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

It seems that one of the qualities that sets us apart from other animals is falling apart. People seem to think it's ok to take something that isn't yours just because you can. Stealing disgusts me whether it's goods, a life or innocence etc...

I'd love to watch them drown in pools of their own sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Diemos wrote: »
    What kind of a scumbag targets hospital patients?.

I know of two hospital incidences-a parent who stole the Consultant's expensive watch from her coat pocket outside cubicle,as she examined his seriously ill baby inside cubicle.

More recently,a mother who'd given birth, stole doctor's mobile phone and tried to sell it,claiming it was her own.

Just because it doesn't make sense to us,doesn't mean it needs to make sense to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Around 20 years ago, I was in bed, restless. It was around 3am & suddenly there was a brief flash of a torch outside. I looked out and saw some guy sweep the yard with his torch. I opened the window and asked him what he was doing. "Eh, sorry son, just checking the drains - Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Council work" and walked out.

I rang the council next morning and of course it was plain bs!

Advertisement