Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGET HELP NEEDED FOR TURTLE

Options
  • 13-01-2014 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Ended up with an unwanted yellowbelly turtle other day, never planned it was more me or whoever :(
    I seen this happens alot people buy not not relizing wats involved and how big they grow.
    Been reading up on them wouldnt mind keeping it if i can give it right care this is where I'm getting lost and need all advice u guys can give me :)
    Main things I need help with now is how provide quick,cheap comfortable home for it (money tight and outlay looks over wat I can afford atm)
    What I need help with urgent is
    1.Food
    Where can get cheap pellets and how much feed it ?
    2.Heating and Filters
    Came with a filter and water heater but no lamp so need buy a cheap 1 (no clue where get )
    3.Tank
    It came with a 60L 1 which to me seems small ? also need know how treat water ment use tablets

Other info
    no clue how old or if a boy/girl to me think male as claws very long,its a bit bigger then an upside down bowl ?

Any help you guys can give I'd be very gratful for I dont want keep it if I care right for it so also need details if there's any charity/trust will help rehome if I need to
    Thank you for any info :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't know anything about them, but this site seems to.

http://www.reptilecentre.com/files_care-sheet-yellow-bellied-slider

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Go to the tortoise trust website. It's a great resource

I'd steer clear of pellets and try some real food like crickets etc. as far as I know they are omnivorous .

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

tallus wrote: »
    Go to the tortoise trust website. It's a great resource

I'd steer clear of pellets and try some real food like crickets etc. as far as I know they are omnivorous .

Depends on the age and the turtle itself. They are omnivors for the first year or so of their life and then gradually move more towards veggies! I have 2 of them that are about 4 years old, one still eats fish, the other doesn't! So best bet is to try some veg or lettuce etc.

You are correct males have much longer claws than females, our males claws are massive!!

Ideally they need the biggest tank you can get for them, try the likes of donedeal or adverts for second hand ones, they can be gotten at a good price.

It needs a heater lamp (a normal household bulb can do this job) and somewhere to bask under the lamp. Also needs UVA and UVB bulbs (i think those are the two anyway).

I hope you managed to keep it, they are great pets and have great little personalities. Any questions just ask and I'll help if I can.

Advertisement