Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on small 4x4s please

Options
  • 13-01-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've had loads of trouble with a commercial SWB Mitz Pajero and I want to get rid of it. I do need to tow a mare and foal box now and again but I want something that isn't as horrifically heavy on diesel as the bloody Pajero. What are people's thoughts on the Tuscan, Sorento, Sante Fe or any other small, cheap 4x4? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Wife has Suzuki Grand Vitaro and has real power for small jeep. Only thing I'd say though is when going through floods throws water up onto wind screen can be dangerous if your not aware of it. She uses it Monday to Friday to travel to work and has it at weekends for towing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

do a search here as we've discussed 4x4's a few times now.

I use an Xtrail and have no problem towing a box with 2 ponies but have carried heavier. I use it for commuting to work to (350 miles a week) and get an average of 35+mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Go for something with at least a 2L engine, but if you can afford road tax for a 2.5L you'll find towing easier. I had a 2002 Freelander, they can be money pits. I reckon we got a bad example of one, but somebody I know who is big into Land Rover reckons there are no good examples of Freelanders. The Freelander 2 *might* be better but I wouldn't be rushing to buy one.

The Grand Vitara seem to have a good reputation. I'm in a Nissan Pathfinder now, they look like big beasts but they handle like a car.

If you can get something with selectable 4 wheel drive, so that you can turn off 4 wheel drive for commuting etc, you'll find it saves on fuel & tyres. When looking at various options, check out their towing capacity online, rule of thumb, the laden weight of your horse trailer shouldn't exceed 80% of the towing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Have a look at the Outlander. We have towed horseboxes with a few of them. Economical anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

We have a commercial Freelander 2 2008, but we are towing a light Mare & Foal Galway box, fine for my horse who is only 15.2. It takes quite well our bumpy Kerry roads, and goes up a very steep slope to our place, but I wouldn't recommend trailing a heavier box and/or a much bigger horse with it. It also burns quite a lot of diesel when trailing,
    Always remember that you need enough power to be able to stop your car downhill as well as going up.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Sorrento is fab, very economical compared to a pajero. And the older ones have a towing capacity of 2800kg. Also really comfy and was apparently designed by same guy who designed the merc 4x4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its such a shame the towing capacity is lower in the new Sorento. (post 2010). I have one for five years now and its been wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 _itsB_

Another vote for the xtrail, we had one for 2 years and never had a problem with it. Only got rid because private tax was up on 1000e so switched to hilux for commercial tax. Have to say the a smaller jeep is much easier to turn in a small yard! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Just bought a 1 year old Outlander today. Will let you know now i get on

Advertisement