Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tech Question

• 13-01-2014 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

A nice little one to get us going on a Monday morning.

I've always used Shimano, never had anything else but upgrading my groupset and thinking of dipping my toes into the world of Campy. So the issue I have and the question I pose is as follows.

My wheel set is a Shimano Dura Ace 9000 and I know I can't just stick a campy cassette on there. So what's the options. Do Shimano wheels allow you to change the freehub to a campy compat one? I know fulcrums and mavic's do but I thought Shimano would lock you in a bit more.

Someone suggested to me to use the Shimano cassette but with campy spacers. Would that work? Is it not the teeth and cassette design as well rather than just spacing's that's an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If you're looking to run 10 speed Shimano and 10 speed Campagnolo then the cog spacing will be different requiring a cassette made with Campag spacing but Shimano splines to get spot on shifting (Shimano don't or certainly haven't in the past offered campag freehubs). I think Miche do these hybrid cassettes as a custom option but am open to correction on that.

If you're on Shimano 11 speed and looking to try campag 11 speed though you're in luck, Lennard Zinn recently did a test of the compatibility between Shimano, Campag and SRAM 11 speed systems and short of having to adjust limit screws to account for small differences in the freehub position they apparently work just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a jtech shiftmate 1 on a shimano hub but campy everything else, works very well and runs great. A very slight chain noise on one of the middle gears is the only issue.

Got it from sjs cycles in the Uk cost a lot less than a conversion cassette.

Advertisement