Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead cat

• 13-01-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Last night someone kindly placed a cat they had run over at the end of my driveway. We picked him up and put him a box. He's still in my garden as we don't know what to do with him. If I rang the vets would they come and take him? Or the council? I can't bury him in my garden so at a loss about what to do with the poor little thing. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

If you take him to the vets they'll scan him for a chip and if there isn't one I'm nearly positive they'll dispose of the remains.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Dunno about your local council but mines will come pick up dead animals, they might be suspicious if it's in your garden though.

A vet won't pick up a dead cat but you can pay them to have it disposed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

As far as I know your local council will dispose of it if you ring them. You were very good to put it in a box. Poor cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

You should try and find the owners too, as they will be distressed. We had a similar situation, so knocked on all our neighbours doors to see if anyone knew who owned the cat. We dropped the cat to the local vets and when we found the owner, they were really appreciative, if that is even the right word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

ElleEm wrote: »
    You should try and find the owners too, as they will be distressed. We had a similar situation, so knocked on all our neighbours doors to see if anyone knew who owned the cat. We dropped the cat to the local vets and when we found the owner, they were really appreciative, if that is even the right word.

The cat was pretty mangled so not too sure how I'd go about finding the owner. I'm so sick of the boy racers in my estate. My house is just after two speed bumps yet in the last 6 years I have lost two myof cats to them and this little mite. It's so infuriating .

I had found a kitten about 6mo old two weeks ago. I took him to the vets and he didn't have a microchip. I put up posters etc but no one claimed him. He escaped just over a week ago. I have a small feeling this cat could be him. Although I can't look closely at him to make sure.

• Advertisement

Rang the council who said they would come but didn't show up. Will have to ring again tomorrow. What else can I do if they don't show again?

Rang the council who said they would come but didn't show up. Will have to ring again tomorrow. What else can I do if they don't show again?

Did you ring the local vet? They might be willing to scan it for a chip at least.

This is a cat that i had found a couple of weeks ago and had brought to the vets but sadly had no microchip and no owner came forward. He got out of the house last week and disappeared I just presumed he went home to his owners but its seems not.

This is a cat that i had found a couple of weeks ago and had brought to the vets but sadly had no microchip and no owner came forward. He got out of the house last week and disappeared I just presumed he went home to his owners but its seems not.

Ring the council again, I work for my local council and the crew that do specific call outs like this are forever forgetting jobs. Be polite but mention that there's a lot of young children in the area and you don't want them messing about with the dead body, that should get them out quick enough.

If that doesn't work out you can always just put it in some bin liners and put it in your wheelie bin. It's not dignified like but it is an option.

Advertisement