Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Damage Question

• 13-01-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Iphone 5c got dropped in some water for about 4 seconds. Taken out, screen went green, turned off, and put in a sealed bag of rice in the hotpress for about a week.

Went to it yesterday to switch it on, but nothing happened, or so I thought.

Ten minutes later I heard a text come through! So I phoned it, and it rang. Thing is the screen is black through out all of this.

How would I go about getting this fixed, and what sort of price would I be looking at.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Hi,

Iphone 5c got dropped in some water for about 4 seconds. Taken out, screen went green, turned off, and put in a sealed bag of rice in the hotpress for about a week.

Went to it yesterday to switch it on, but nothing happened, or so I thought.

Ten minutes later I heard a text come through! So I phoned it, and it rang. Thing is the screen is black through out all of this.

How would I go about getting this fixed, and what sort of price would I be looking at.

Thanks

260 euro if u go through store you bought it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The reason it's not working is there is corrosion on the connections for the screen, it may not be fixable at all. Drop it into somewhere who repairs water damaged electronics and they will see if cleaning the logic board and connectors works, it's sometimes too late once it's left a couple of days as the corrosion has already set in.

Contrary to popular belief sealing wet electronic things in bags of rice isn't the best thing to do with them when they get wet, getting the water out of the device, off any copper circuit tracts and components is. Best way without opening the device would be with a Hoover or compressor if you have one to hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Contrary to popular belief sealing wet electronic things in bags of rice isn't the best thing to do with them when they get wet, getting the water out of the device, off any copper circuit tracts and components is. Best way without opening the device would be with a Hoover or compressor if you have one to hand.

You reckon its too late to go at it with the hoover now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd say so, I'd imagine your only hope is to have the logic board removed and cleaned professionally

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Elvis07

I'd say so, I'd imagine your only hope is to have the logic board removed and cleaned professionally

Any joy with getting this fixed? My wife has same problem - unfortunately instead of turning it off immediately, she left it on switch on thinking it was OK - after a couple of hours it slowed down and she turned it off eventually. I didn't have the correct screwdriver handy to open it so it's been drying in hot press/rice since Sunday.

She's going back to phone shop today but I expect it's knackered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Did you try using a Hoover on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Elvis07 wrote: »
    Any joy with getting this fixed? My wife has same problem - unfortunately instead of turning it off immediately, she left it on switch on thinking it was OK - after a couple of hours it slowed down and she turned it off eventually. I didn't have the correct screwdriver handy to open it so it's been drying in hot press/rice since Sunday.

She's going back to phone shop today but I expect it's knackered.

Dont put it in the hotpress! It needs to have the moisture totally taken out of it, hoover definitely best best, for up to half an hour, and then rice or the gel packs.

Mine was gone beyond repair as the inside got too corroded after leaving it in the hotpress like yourself unfortunately! Sold it to someone for parts in the end.

Advertisement