Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman..pricing..

Options
  • 13-01-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭

So was in HN looking at TVs yesterday and they had a sale on the real upper end stuff. So I saw the 9series Sony TV and it was 2099 down from 2399 or something. The sales guy spent a few mins talking about it and how the price was best they could do and was a great price for the tv. I walked away intrigued and to do a quick research on it.

Lo and behold I see on harvey normans website the same tv for instore purchase for €1898, 200 cheaper!!!! Went back in and they told me..ah yeh..the website is updated faster, but we would match the price anyway.

So basically if I had gone to counter knowing that it should be €1898 on their website they would match their own price...otherwise I would pay €2099 at their counter..

It was not a special web only price BTW.

Some way to run a business....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,075 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their IT systems are absolutely archaic (terminal emulator or DOS terminals, not sure which; dot matrix receipt printers) so I wouldn't be surprised if they were telling the truth. Ridiculous none the less though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

very misleading though...i could understand a smaller diff...but 200€ difference is pretty substantial. I mean normally price matching means matching another companies prices..not your own! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

If you give them the offer code ib88nd00ped in the HN store in Mullingar, you will get 35% off everything, even the sale goods. It's a little in thing they have going on in there.

lolosaur wrote: »
    If you give them the offer code ib88nd00ped in the HN store in Mullingar, you will get 35% off everything, even the sale goods. It's a little in thing they have going on in there.

Just tell them that code in the shop???? And you get 35%? On that TV it would be €600 extra discount...seems a lot..where did you hear this?...Methinks too much ether this morning lolosaur....

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

read that code again, and maybe replace the numbers with letters.

he's being smart with ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I see your point but you realise you'd have probably got this cheaper buying it online anyway. If you're walking into a B&M without your research done you can expect to pay over the odds and not get the best product.

well i hadnt been looking at that model beforehand tbh as its Sonys top of line (not including monsters and UHD screens). Online price is pretty good compared to richersounds, but richer has much better TOS so will probably hit Belfast one of these weekends. 5 yr warranty with them too,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,607 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

lolosaur wrote: »

That would of course be the store in Mullingar that closed in 2012? :rolleyes:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/harvey-norman-to-close-mullingar-store-amid-irish-reshuffle-558550.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lolosaur If you can't post constructively, then please don't post.

All posters - stick to the original topic please.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...Some way to run a business....

You can't trust retailers any more. You have to shop around if you want to see what the real price is for something. In many shopping centres you see large differences in prices in shops a few meters away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Something similar happened to me with HN, They were advertising a printer on the website for 49.99€ went down to the store and looked for the model but the price on the box was 95.99€ the young sales lad was obviously only working there a few days and said that 95.99 was the correct price. I then insisted on speaking to one of the long time employees and showed him the webpage he discounted it down to the website price for me without issue, always found HN easy to deal with for discounting or freebies when buying electronic equipment.

Same when I had a George Foreman grill pack up a day before the 1 year shop warranty expired and they refunded it no questions asked, then paid a few quid extra to upgrade to a higher spec model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

I'm curious as to what size screen you got.my mate picked up the 46"w9 for 1349 in Galway and that was the ticketed/sale price

it was the 55'' I was drooling over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

it was the 55'' I was drooling over

That's a great price for 55" w9 enjoy man!really impressed from what I saw of it!

thats what annoyed me the price was good but their business practices....anyway I think richersounds will get my business, as their price and 5yr warranty makes them the beans.

Advertisement