Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off from work

Options
  • 13-01-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi, just received my treatment plan for an upcoming egg sharing cycle. I haven't asked in work yet for the time off, although I know it's going to be a problem as one person is only allowed holidays at a time and the week that I am having egg collection someone has it booked. Does my employer have to let me take time off or can I get signed off or anything? Or is the only option to take holidays? Also I am only allowed take one week and would really like to have two weeks for the process, stress etc so if going on sick leave is an option, I'd do that and not say anything to my boss. If it makes any difference I'm going to the uk so how would sick notes etc work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I can't anwer your question'sbut i'm in a similar boat myself.I decided the other day that ivf comes first,it's alot of money to be spending and you want to give yourself your best shot.ask your doctor if he will sign you off sick,and if not explain to your boss that this is very important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

bobskii wrote: »
    I can't anwer your question'sbut i'm in a similar boat myself.I decided the other day that ivf comes first,it's alot of money to be spending and you want to give yourself your best shot.ask your doctor if he will sign you off sick,and if not explain to your boss that this is very important to you.

Yeah your right I know. Just started the job last January and already took 2 weeks sick to have tubal surgery. I told my boss and she told other people. I was really upset about that so don't want to tell her this time. I think I will give my doctor a ring and see what she says. She is usually very nice, I'd say she will sign me off but may not give me the Cert to claim illness benefit as I'm not sick. It's horrible having this stress along with other things. I worked last time till EC and took two weeks hols but this is not a option this time:(
    Best of luck with your treatment, when are you starting?

I understand,i have to tell my boss tomorrow,i haven't told her up to now because i know it will be instantly told to someone else,i don't mind people knowing but i'd prefer to keep it to myself at work.It's nobody's business!try explain to your doc and if you've to take time at your own expense so be it,it's horrible having to worry about work aswell as all the other stresses that go with this.

We're starting next month,got my period early this month so will be starting sooner than i thought!

bobskii wrote: »
    I understand,i have to tell my boss tomorrow,i haven't told her up to now because i know it will be instantly told to someone else,i don't mind people knowing but i'd prefer to keep it to myself at work.It's nobody's business!try explain to your doc and if you've to take time at your own expense so be it,it's horrible having to worry about work aswell as all the other stresses that go with this.

We're starting next month,got my period early this month so will be starting sooner than i thought!

Yeah will give the doc a ring and see what she says. Ill book the week after ET(if we get that far) as holidays I think.
    I've been on the pill so my dates are pretty solid now I hope. I will start down regulating on the 28th of this month.
    Fingers and toes crossed for us!
    Good luck tomorrow,hope it goes well for you.

Keep me posted!
    And the best of luck for this cycle!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My GP was lovely and agreed to write me any notes I needed on her headed paper instead of me having to hand up notes from a doctor on fertility clinic notepaper.

As it happens, we managed to get our appointments at 8am and it was near my work so I was nearly always at my desk by 9am. But it was good for the stress levels to know I could pop in and get a generic GP note instead to hand into work if I needed it.

Its worth asking your GP if they could oblige. Or even ask at the clinic. I'm sure that they have encountered that before from other patients.

The clinic probably would provide the notes but its in the uk and I'd rather not have a letter from them as it would be obvious it was for fertility treatment. Hopefully my Dr will oblige. The scans etc will be grand as I can request those days or do a swap. Just the days from EC to the end of the tww I am worried about. I was a wreak the last time so would prefer not to be working!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Would you not consider going back to work after the transfer? Obviously do whats right for you but I know I would have gone insane at home during the TWW, needed something to take my mind off it! I took the days from egg collection to transfer (blast) off. I hadn't planned to take a full week, had only told work i'd be off for 2 days (my clinic gives a cert for 2 days) but I was in significant pain after egg collection so my clinic gave me an additional cert for the rest of the week.

For my FET I just took 1 day off (transfer) so I took that as annual leave.

If you have a cert from the clinic, most GPs will convert it to a generic cert so you don't have to have the name of the clinic on it.

I am getting treatment done in the Uk so it would be extra hassle for me to travel home after EC and then back 4 days later for the ET. I also work in a place where I have to do heavy lifting and with a lot of germs etc flying around so would prefer not to be there. I rang the clinic this morning. They don't issue official sick certs but will give me a letter. Rang my GP, and just waiting for her to get back to me. Will feel a lot more relaxed when I get this sorted!

Edit sorry read your post wrong. I would prefer to be off for the TWW. My job is very mentally tiring and I found myself to be very easily distracted the last time so I know I wouldn't have my entire focus on work while I was waiting. I think the last time it was only 9 days between ET and OTD, although I started bleeding on day 5 so didn't have to wait so long to find out.

i bottled tellin my boss today,the girl i work with who knows all about it seems to think i'll be grand and will be at work every day if i can get my appointments in the mornings:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh hard luck! But don't worry there is always tomorrow!. I think clinics are very good in the way they will try and work around your schedule. Are you going to take time off between EC and ET or just work through it?
    The scans appointments are very quick and usually only take 10-20 mins if all is well so if you live close to the clinic and work you should be ok!

it's like the words won't come out!I actually laughed when i went to say it out loud!She's lovely and i know it's just gonna be a hug and 'omg why didn't you say'(she's always at me about having more children)

I don't know what i will do,this is my first go at it so i really don't know what to expect.My job involves heavy lifting so i'm really not sure,i intend givin myself the best shot at it and if it means taking time off i will.I have a week off mid feb so that will help.

i work about and hour's drive from the hospital so if i can get early appointments it will really help.

I know what you mean about telling people. I almost feel a bit embarrassed to say I am having treatment. Silly really.
    I do a lot of manual handling in my job too and found it difficult but manageable towards the end if stimming. I felt like there was water balloons in my tummy. I was luckily ok with the meds no side effects at all.

I didn't get anywhere today really. Clinic will give me a note but on headed paper. Rang my DR and will have to go for a consultation before she decides if she will give me a note or not even though the last time I was there (dec) we talked about this upcoming cycle. Not really surprised. I have been with her since 2001 and no matter what you are asking you have to attend for a consult which costs 55€. She has gotten many 1000€s off me through the years. I really shoul change considering I have to travel 45mins to her clinic and she's not even particularly nice!

i hope i'm ok with them,clomid near drove me bananas!

Well that's a pain in the ass,is there not a decent doc nearer to you?I changed doc's just before i started down this long road,luckily my gp is spot on,she cant do enough for me and she's only 10 mins away!I might actually ask her about taking time at work like if i needed to take time off,wil see how it goes tomorrow if i manage to get it out of my mouth that is!

Advertisement