Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Congestion Since Storm between 7pm - 12.30am.

Options
  • 13-01-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can you let us know what the story is with regards to Broadband Slow down since the storms.  There are many instances now being reported on various forums about Broadband Slow down in the evenings (Congestion).  The typical times tend to be between 7pm - around 12:30pm. This is on Next Gen broadband and on e-fibre. 

I did not have any issues before Christmas. Everything was fine. But since the storms I can rarely achieve above 2MB down in the evenings, I have buffering on Netflix and sometimes the speeds are down to as low as 36Kb/s that I have buffering on Spotify. 

However outside of the hours shown I can achieve 6MB down and have no issues. My SNR hardly changes and in real terms my line has never been so stable, in fact its rock solid with no errors reported and no dropouts. 

I have tested my speeds and this happens nearly like clockwork every evening.  Do you have any idea of when these congestion issues will be fixed. 

I am connected directly to the Celbridge Exchange.

Thanks!

Ps. Support call has been logged with Eircom BB support already. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I am experiencing the very same issue in Newbridge. eFibre download speeds fluctuate between 4MB and 47MB depending on the time of day. Peak evening time is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Engineer has changed my port at the exchange. No problems on my line or line test as I anticipated. He added that congestion is very hard to prove. I have 7 days worth of stats if anyone wants them!

Will test later on and verify but judging by the amount of posts about this issue on this and other websites it doesn't look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Guys,

Can you let us know what the story is with regards to Broadband Slow down since the storms.  There are many instances now being reported on various forums about Broadband Slow down in the evenings (Congestion).  The typical times tend to be between 7pm - around 12:30pm. This is on Next Gen broadband and on e-fibre. 

I did not have any issues before Christmas. Everything was fine. But since the storms I can rarely achieve above 2MB down in the evenings, I have buffering on Netflix and sometimes the speeds are down to as low as 36Kb/s that I have buffering on Spotify. 

However outside of the hours shown I can achieve 6MB down and have no issues. My SNR hardly changes and in real terms my line has never been so stable, in fact its rock solid with no errors reported and no dropouts. 

I have tested my speeds and this happens nearly like clockwork every evening.  Do you have any idea of when these congestion issues will be fixed. 

Thanks!

Hi Mor-Riomhaire

Unfortunately I do not have information on this however I do agree that there does seem to be issues surrounding this since the storms. The best advice I can offer is to keep in contact with the broadband technical support team however I will be unable to offer any further clarification on this.

Thanks

Al

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Hi Mor-Riomhaire

Unfortunately I do not have information on this however I do agree that there does seem to be issues surrounding this since the storms. The best advice I can offer is to keep in contact with the broadband technical support team however I will be unable to offer any further clarification on this.

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,

The response is much appreciated.
    I hope the issue gets resolved soon...

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Hi Mor-Riomhaire

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,

The response is much appreciated.
    I hope the issue gets resolved soon...

Thanks!
    No worries Mor-Riomhaire

I'm hoping so too :)

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

There also seems to be rerouting of traffic/packets received internationally.  When using a server in the UK, my packets are being sent through France...

Whether it's a weather issue or not, it would be another thing to check up for the Wholesalers or those involved with international cabling/nodes.

Edit: I guess that it probably has to be sent via France if that is the way you guys are operating your nodes, but there seems to a problem in Ireland before France.

red_bairn wrote: »
    There also seems to be rerouting of traffic/packets received internationally.  When using a server in the UK, my packets are being sent through France...

Whether it's a weather issue or not, it would be another thing to check up for the Wholesalers or those involved with international cabling/nodes.

Edit: I guess that it probably has to be sent via France if that is the way you guys are operating your nodes, but there seems to a problem in Ireland before France.
    That's interesting. I will check this tonight at home. After the engineer visit yesterday to the exchange, my attenuation stats are better up/down by 1 db. Speeds seemed to be constant all evening, save for the odd slow and high ping it was a lot more stable.

As always a few days testing is needed..

Hi All

I've  raised this issues to the highest level and hopefully if possible offer an update or clarification when I can as it's becoming increasingly clear that there does seem to be a lot of issues concerning ping.

As soon as I have more news I will let you know.

Thanks

Al

Thanks Alan,

My line download speed seems to be good anyway for the last few, but as red_bairn has stated my ping times are shocking, effects my online gaming, keep getting kicked from servers etc for high pings.

From Celbridge, ping Paris is 110ms, should be around 20ms. Ping London is 75ms, should be around 19ms. Ping Amsterdam should be around 23ms, was 210ms, ping Berlin was 287ms, should be around 28ms.

Thanks for the update, let us know how you get on?

Mor-R...

Hi All

I have been informed that there has been confirmation of a break in a major cable under the Irish Sea.

This has created a lot of issues on the network and explains a lot of the issues you have raised in the past couple of days. I would like to assure you that divers and engineers are being dispatched tomorrow morning to begin repairs.

At present we do not have a specific timeframe of how long repairs are expected to take however there are indications that this could indeed take up to a couple of days. I will do my best to keep you updated on any further information I may get.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Hi All

I have been informed that there has been confirmation of a break in a major cable under the Irish Sea.

This has created a lot of issues on the network and explains a lot of the issues you have raised in the past couple of days. I would like to assure you that divers and engineers are being dispatched tomorrow morning to begin repairs.

At present we do not have a specific timeframe of how long repairs are expected to take however there are indications that this could indeed take up to a couple of days. I will do my best to keep you updated on any further information I may get.

Thanks

Al
    Hi Al,

Thanks for the update, keep em coming.

Cheers,

Mor-R

Thanks Mor-Riomhaire

The same info can also be found here and any updates I get I'll post them there also:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Recent-service-issues/td-p/56284

Al

Advertisement