Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative Website software plug-in?

Options
  • 13-01-2014 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Is there a piece of software that could be plugged into one's sites that would offer a facility to include adwords-like “negative” keywords/phrases/tags etc. Clearly this would stop at least some of the “uninterested” traffic visiting your site and help rakings by attracting only appropriate quality vistors while enhancing consumer experience at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Is there a piece of software that could be plugged into one's sites that would offer a facility to include adwords-like “negative” keywords/phrases/tags etc. Clearly this would stop at least some of the “uninterested” traffic visiting your site and help rakings by attracting only appropriate quality vistors while enhancing consumer experience at the same time.

The only way to manipulate the adwords traffic is via your adwords account (If i understand you correctly). If the traffic coming through the adwords (ie via clicking your ads) is poor/high bounce etc then I'd suggest It might be a copy factor in your ads - some further exploration would be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

blue4ever wrote: »
    The only way to manipulate the adwords traffic is via your adwords account (If i understand you correctly). If the traffic coming through the adwords (ie via clicking your ads) is poor/high bounce etc then I'd suggest It might be a copy factor in your ads - some further exploration would be needed.

In this case I am actually talking about the organic results traffic, I referred to my request for a similar tool to the adwords negative keyword application. The bounce rate is 42% which is perhaps OK but perhaps should be better(Lower!) ;)

The problem there is getting the keywords! On one website I look after 81% of last months traffic the keywords were 'not provided' ie hidden by Google - so that automatically throws most of that out.

Secondly, you might be able, in theory, do it (via your .htaccess file if you're on an Apache server)- I'm not sure how the search engines would view that - positively or negatively.

This is going to sound really cranky but here goes.

This is not about Adwords.

We sell cartons and boxes but not egg cartons and not cupcake boxes. I have dealt with these in relation to both keywords and negative keywords on Adwords!

I want to lose the egg carton and cupcake box querists on our SERP listings.

Not withstanding the above, perhaps I am being a bit too anal, as 40% bounce may be a perfectly acceptable score for our products/ sector ! This whole SEO thing is very difficult to comprehend when there is so much conflicting advice at every level, free or paid!

I think the bounce rate is the price of doing business if keywords are relevant in two markets - there is very little you can do if the term is used in two markets - one of which is not relevant to you.

One thing that might 'steer' potential egg carton purchasers away from your site is to make your SEPP descriptions ironclad 'industrial' (if you get my drift)

Here's one whilst you have a bit of downtime. Do a site search on your site using some of the contentious keywords and see what you think of your page descriptions - do they scream what you're actually about:

Put the next line into the Google search bar

site:www.sitename.ie cartons

(replacing www.sitename.ie) for your actual site name. This will show you all your pages that could show up with the keyword "cartons". You can then repeat that for other keywords that are problematic.

Have a look at the results paying attention to the page titles and descriptions and see if there are any ones that are ambiguous - ones where the egg carton hunters might venture onto you site!

It's actually a great exercise to see what your pages really look like to a searcher.

C

• Advertisement

Nice tip, thanks. Actually I am pretty happy with the range of results, which were many, but in particular the information contained in the displayed results to view (unclicked) was to the point and pretty comprehensive/varied on the product scope. If I was seeking the products tried, I think I would quickly find what I was looking for!
    I take this to mean that our efforts on properly tagging photos, having decent product descriptions and general SEO practices are working reasonably well?

Cheers

Peter

Advertisement