Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hpat medicine mature entry

• 13-01-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys,

*please help*

Has anyone gone through the mature entry route and gotten a place in medicine in Ireland?

I've a neuroscience degree (2.2), got 510 in my leaving cert and I'm going to sit the hpat this year so I'm wondering how well will I be expected to do in the hpat in order to be successful?
    Does anyone know of other mature students who sat hpat?
    What kind of things do they look for from mature entries?
    I want to get into medicine so badly this year, any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Gmmmmm wrote: »
    Hi guys,

*please help*

Has anyone gone through the mature entry route and gotten a place in medicine in Ireland?

I've a neuroscience degree (2.2), got 510 in my leaving cert and I'm going to sit the hpat this year so I'm wondering how well will I be expected to do in the hpat in order to be successful?
    Does anyone know of other mature students who sat hpat?
    What kind of things do they look for from mature entries?
    I want to get into medicine so badly this year, any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    :)

All mature students have had to sit the HPAT since its introduction in 2009. I have heard 2nd hand that the colleges only review applications from those who are in the 70th centile and above. They get the results way ahead of those who sit it. They then review the applications and call for interview accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Abby19 wrote: »
    All mature students have had to sit the HPAT since its introduction in 2009. I have heard 2nd hand that the colleges only review applications from those who are in the 70th centile and above. They get the results way ahead of those who sit it. They then review the applications and call for interview accordingly.

Thats untrue Abbey. I only got a score around 140 and im studying medicine via the mature route.

Gmmmmm anything in particular you wanted to know / what college were u hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmmmmm

Thats untrue Abbey. I only got a score around 140 and im studying medicine via the mature route.

Gmmmmm anything in particular you wanted to know / what college were u hoping for?

hi ultimate hero!
    id love to know where are you studying? And also, if you dont mind, do you have any tips to make my application as strong as possible?

hi ultimate hero!
    id love to know where are you studying? And also, if you dont mind, do you have any tips to make my application as strong as possible?

I am in ucc in cork. tbh its really just on you're personal statement (to get shortlisted) and being familiar with the interview panel prior to shortlisting for interview. Also attending open days is a big plus (go to the mature open days and undergraduate 'school' ones) as members of the interview panel will be at that. Also seeing the college and knowing the course and having different types of work experience be it first aid hospice or wherever you can get into.

Really the most important thing is the personal statement, and having someone you can trust read it.

There are matures on the course without degrees so dont get bogged down if that is your situation too.
    Good luck!

ultimatehero - one of the more recent applicants for one of the Dublin colleges told me they were told of the 70th centile cut-off, but that was 2-3 years back. Can't recall which one, I think RCSI or TCD as UCD mainly only accepts GEMs.

• Advertisement

Thanks ultimate hero for all the feedback!
    im now wondering is it worth spending €500 on ******** course...:/

Thanks ultimate hero for all the feedback!
    im now wondering is it worth spending €500 on ******** course...:/

I wouldn't if I was you, but that's just me. However a load of people in my current class did it last year and found it helpful, i suppose if you are aiming for one of the dublin colleges maybe give it a think through. its a lot of money though!

good luck!!!

I wouldn't if I was you, but that's just me. However a load of people in my current class did it last year and found it helpful, i suppose if you are aiming for one of the dublin colleges maybe give it a think through. its a lot of money though!

good luck!!!

Oh and just so you know there are 7 places in TCD, 20 in RCSI (but fees are 16000€), approx 2 in UCD, 2 in UCG and 4 places in UCC for mature applicants.

I only got a 2.2 in my degree as well so dont let that deter you, just have a really good application/personal statement and show the initiative by going to the open days and you'll be grand!! any other issues give me a shout

Good luck!!

Ultimatehero I can't thank you enough. I went to the open days recently on your recommendation and I met the chair of the interviewing panel and she gave me invaluable advice AND gave me contacts to liaise with along with her own contact information.

*living up to your name*

Thanks! :)

Ultimatehero I can't thank you enough. I went to the open days recently on your recommendation and I met the chair of the interviewing panel and she gave me invaluable advice AND gave me contacts to liaise with along with her own contact information.

*living up to your name*

which college open day did u go to?

• Advertisement

Trinity Open Day- It was for post grads only so I chanced my arm, asked about mature entry to med as it will be a post grad for me and I got lucky.

By the way had you a lot of volunteer experience in a hospital because I have done a bit in in different places in nursing homes, centres, schools, and in a haematology lab and I just don't know if it'll be "enough"

Trinity Open Day- It was for post grads only so I chanced my arm, asked about mature entry to med as it will be a post grad for me and I got lucky.

By the way had you a lot of volunteer experience in a hospital because I have done a bit in in different places in nursing homes, centres, schools, and in a haematology lab and I just don't know if it'll be "enough"

Ya I had a bit alright similar to yours, you have loads/more than enough just think what you took from them importance of patient advocacy skill etc and ace your personal statement, its so important!! and keep plagueing the staff at trinity - any offers to view the facilities etc greatly accept them.

Good luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jo85

Hi, I'm so glad I came along this forum. I'm also looking to apply to medicine. I have a 2.2 in biomedical science aswell as a masters. I've been working in hospital labs for 5 years now. Is it possible to apply to the 5 year medicine degree at trinity and UCD with a degree? As I have a 2.2 does this mean I can't apply for graduate medicine? Good luck to everyone applying! Does anyone know what the interviews are like for mature entry route? I came across a post where the interview for trinity sounded terrifying! I havnt been for an interview in five years! Would have to brush up my skills!

Jo85 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm so glad I came along this forum. I'm also looking to apply to medicine. I have a 2.2 in biomedical science aswell as a masters. I've been working in hospital labs for 5 years now. Is it possible to apply to the 5 year medicine degree at trinity and UCD with a degree? As I havent a 2.2 does this mean I can't apply for graduate medicine? Good luck to everyone applying! Does anyone know what the interviews are like for mature entry route? I came across a post where the interview for trinity sounded terrifying! I havnt been for an interview in five years! Would have to brush up my skills!

Which hospital lsb do you work in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

*living up to your name*

No chance of sharing that advice?? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jo85

I work in Northern Ireland in a blood bank. Ru studying medicine at the moment did I read? Do u mind me asking you what your background was and how you are finding the course? And how your interview was? I have a daughter who is 8 months at the moment. I do wonder if I would be able to manage to get through. But I am determined so hopefully I would make it through. Congrats on your achievement!

Jo85 wrote: »
    I work in Northern Ireland in a blood bank. Ru studying medicine at the moment did I read? Do u mind me asking you what your background was and how you are finding the course? And how your interview was? I have a daughter who is 8 months at the moment. I do wonder if I would be able to manage to get through. But I am determined so hopefully I would make it through. Congrats on your achievement!

I used to work as biomedical scientist in a a hospital in the republic of ireland. I did biomedical in DIT, got a 2.2 in the degree and it took me three attempts to get into medicine. i had a good bit of voluntary work done to talk about in the interview so that helped i suppose. it would be tough with a child, something you would have to consider, two of our matures have kids <9yrs and find it really tough.

Anyway good luck and if I can be of any use to you just shout! I really should cancel my account on this... takes up study time!!!!!!!!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

Does anybody know roughly how many mature students sit the hpat each year? And how many then get called for an interview? Cheers

Theres a good few sit it, id say around 200 in total. I know its really sad but having sat it 3 times as a mature applicant i think i might give a walk around campus on saturday to see if i spot any matures sitting it. good luck!

Hi ultimatehero,

i hope youre well?
    just wondering around what time of year did you get asked in for an interview?

• Advertisement

It was around the start of May, about 10 days before the interview (which was May 10th). but that was early, i had an interview 2 years previous and that was on May 17th. Id say expect to hear around beginning/mid May :) hope that helps

It was around the start of May, about 10 days before the interview (which was May 10th). but that was early, i had an interview 2 years previous and that was on May 17th. Id say expect to hear around beginning/mid May :) hope that helps

it really does, thank you! I received an invite today from RCSI, i dont know if they send it to all applicants, either way im hoping its a good sign

ive to forward on my personal statement now. I reckon times new roman, font 12, 2 pages? What did you do?

it really does, thank you! I received an invite today from RCSI, i dont know if they send it to all applicants, either way im hoping its a good sign

ive to forward on my personal statement now. I reckon times new roman, font 12, 2 pages? What did you do?

Ok good luck. I was told many moons ago in my previous degree that Verdana font 10 is very readable and you can type loads and you can fit more onto a page with it so I've sort of stuck with that and that's prob what I used. just used the same font throughout and it shouldnt matter. good luck, all i remember from applying is that its very stressful!!! WOW thats early for rcsi to get back to you, they must have your HPAT results (which is WOW early too) cos that's why they contact you (last year i think anyone >160 got contacted for further documents), you have reached the next stage with them, good luck!!

Has anyone heard from the universities yet regarding interviews for mature entry medicine??

Has anyone heard from the universities yet regarding interviews for mature entry medicine??

There's a separate thread under Edu - mature and non-traditional students http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057176615&page=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamdunne01

Hi All,

My name is Adam Dunne and I am currently Interested in pursuing Medicine as a Mature Student. Although young at twenty two and turning twenty three in November I spent alot of time building up experience via volunteering and shadowing consultants. I am looking to link in and get advice on my personal statement and link in with more mature students to get an insight into there mature student process. If anyone would be interested in linking in with me for advice and guidance I would appreciate it.

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ibizarocks

Got into RCSI mature entry pathway, also got into RCSI graduate entry so choose the graduate route because of the loan given and less time spent in college. Don't worry about the HPAT, I spent maybe a few hours 1-2 days beforehand going over the questions. The HPAT is very much an IQ test, so I put all my time into studying for the GAMSAT instead. I scored an average HPAT, RCSI don't really put too much emphasis on this anymore apparently. All of your strength will come from your background (original degree and/or experience in medical field), coupled with your personal statement in conjunction with your references. Interview is handy enough they don't try and push you at all, just want to make sure you've a decent personality that also matches what you say/claim on your personal statement. Heard before about people doing HPAT prep courses (waste of time/money imo) and deliberately going to open days to meet staff, neither of which I did. Your background and personal statement are key, meeting staff at open days isn't going to cover over an insufficient background and/or personal statement. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Connoc24

ibizarocks wrote: »
    Got into RCSI mature entry pathway, also got into RCSI graduate entry so choose the graduate route because of the loan given and less time spent in college. Don't worry about the HPAT, I spent maybe a few hours 1-2 days beforehand going over the questions. The HPAT is very much an IQ test, so I put all my time into studying for the GAMSAT instead. I scored an average HPAT, RCSI don't really put too much emphasis on this anymore apparently. All of your strength will come from your background (original degree and/or experience in medical field), coupled with your personal statement in conjunction with your references. Interview is handy enough they don't try and push you at all, just want to make sure you've a decent personality that also matches what you say/claim on your personal statement. Heard before about people doing HPAT prep courses (waste of time/money imo) and deliberately going to open days to meet staff, neither of which I did. Your background and personal statement are key, meeting staff at open days isn't going to cover over an insufficient background and/or personal statement. Best of luck.

Hi there,

Congratulations in getting accepted. Huge achievement you must be delighted .
    I would love to follow your steps. Just don't know where to start. My background is nursing 6years. Applying as a mature entry as my grades arnt high enough for graduate entry programme. .
    Can you shed any light .in particular this HPAT, personal statement etc.
    I hope to hear from you soon

Connoc24 (caroline)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ibizarocks

Connoc24 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Congratulations in getting accepted. Huge achievement you must be delighted .
    I would love to follow your steps. Just don't know where to start. My background is nursing 6years. Applying as a mature entry as my grades arnt high enough for graduate entry programme. .
    Can you shed any light .in particular this HPAT, personal statement etc.
    I hope to hear from you soon

Connoc24 (caroline)

Yeah no problem. There's actually some good stuff written about it here under the education tab, if you go from there into mature and non-traditional students, there's a mature medicine thread.

HPAT as I said is grand, there's practice material available for you to get used to the test through the acer site when you register to sit it. You'll do the exam over in Smurfit business school with the leaving cert people and fellow mature candidates. RCSI may or may not decide then to email you to ask for your personal statement and references. As far as I know the limit on the personal statement is about 2 pages. In terms of the structure, refer to the UCAS student guide on how to prepare a personal statement for medical school, there's some good essays in there which are also peer reviewed so you can tell how good they are. Obviously you cannot plagiarise but it gives you some good tips. As a whole, they want to see how your background/life experiences have contributed to you wanting to become a doctor. I imagine this may be difficult for nurses, and I know of some colleges in England who don't favour nurses for medical school interviews. I would say as long as your reasoning for wanting to be a doctor is solid, and you separate that from why you like being a nurse, then your personal statement and background will fit well together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 adamdunne01

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding the Mature Entry Process to Medicine. For those who did not have or do Chemistry did you go back and repeat it within a year in your own time and if so how did you find it?

Adam

Advertisement