Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food you'd most like to try

Options
  • 13-01-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

This may go nowhere but if there's a food you've never tried but would love to, please post and let us know.

I'd love to try white truffles (preferably on a white pizza) and probably kobe beef in second place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

would love to try fugu and ortolan

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Kobe beef, Squid(?) ink spaghetti, Matcha Cheesecake and chicken's feet :)
    The beef and the cake I would love to try as they sound delicious, the other 2 are curiosities

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

would love to try fugu and ortolan

Anthony Bourdain wrote a great piece in Medium Raw about eating Ortolan. Sounds interesting to say the least.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Anthony Bourdain wrote a great piece in Medium Raw about eating Ortolan. Sounds interesting to say the least.

saw a documentary on it and have always been curious:

This is the description of the ortolan trinity:

You will taste three things: First, the sweetness of the flesh and fat. This is God. Then, the bitterness of the guts will begin to overwhelm you. This is the suffering of Jesus. Finally, as your teeth break the small, delicate bones and they begin to lacerate your gums, you will taste the salt of your own blood, mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

saw a documentary on it and have always been curious:

This is the description of the ortolan trinity:

You will taste three things: First, the sweetness of the flesh and fat. This is God. Then, the bitterness of the guts will begin to overwhelm you. This is the suffering of Jesus. Finally, as your teeth break the small, delicate bones and they begin to lacerate your gums, you will taste the salt of your own blood, mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs.

That quote was from an article by Brendan Kiley, here's the original article.

He's surprised that the description is so well known, having been used on the Wikipedia page for Ortolan.
    After the story was published, I didn't think much about the ortolan until the other day when I looked on Wikipedia and started reading my own words.

For the record: I am in no way an expert on the ortolan. That description does not belong in an encyclopedia. It's my paraphrase of a monologue delivered by a weird guy on a tipsy night a decade ago—many details of which (our dessert, for example) I don't remember.

Here's his article about the quote:
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=297191

• Advertisement

Gamayun wrote: »
    That quote was from an article by Brendan Kiley, here's the original article.

He's surprised that the description is so well known, having been used on the Wikipedia page for Ortolan.

Here's his article about the quote:
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=297191

cheers, had read the original but not the follow up. it's still a great description (although i don't know of anyone who's eaten it who can confirm either way)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Umekichi wrote: »
    Kobe beef, Squid(?) ink spaghetti, Matcha Cheesecake and chicken's feet :)
    The beef and the cake I would love to try as they sound delicious, the other 2 are curiosities

Squid ink pasta is lovely

Chickens feet can fcuk right off

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd like to have pizza.

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/menu/Cheesecakes/Smores+Galore
    I've never had a cheesecake from here I didn't like and this looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a tasty giant tortoise mentioned on QI before,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal%C3%A1pagos_tortoise
    The 17th century British pirate, explorer and naturalist William Dampier wrote that "They are so extraordinarily large and fat, and so sweet, that no pullet eats more pleasantly,"[107] while Captain James Colnett of the British Navy wrote of "the land tortoise which in whatever way it was dressed, was considered by all of us as the most delicious food we had ever tasted."[108] US Navy captain David Porter declared that, "after once tasting the Gallipagos tortoises, every other animal food fell off greatly in our estimation ... The meat of this animal is the easiest of digestion, and a quantity of it, exceeding that of any other food, can be eaten without experiencing the slightest of inconvenience."[81] Darwin was less enthusiastic about the meat, writing "the breast-plate roasted (as the Gauchos do "carne con cuero"), with the flesh on it, is very good; and the young tortoises make excellent soup; but otherwise the meat to my taste is indifferent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd never heard of the Ortolan until this thread.

Jeremy Clarkson has tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

White truffles, blackbirds, grey squirrel, gulls eggs, goat kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Paua (New Zealand abalone). I lived in New Zealand for a while and heard about eating it, but it was too rare and expensive for me to end up actually trying some (that I was sure hadn't been poached). The shells have an amazing iridescent interior, the Maori make beautiful jewellery from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Minder wrote: »
    White truffles, blackbirds, grey squirrel, gulls eggs, goat kid.
    I've had goat kid (gitzi) here in Switz a few times. It is very nice, much like proper spring lamb.

Also, I had white truffle with buffalo in Italy. Quite possibly the best meal of my life. Can't say it was because of the truffle, but more the overall quality & taste of the food & the super attention from the chef himself. What an experience! Happy memories! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I have tried and failed to eat crickets so I would like to brave enough to try eat them again.

Eel, sea urchin, kobe beef, fugu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

+1 for sea urchin roe. I remember Carlos Cracco making a silk smooth risotto with basmati rice. He spiked the creamy rice with some small amounts of coffee granules and finished the dish with sea urchin roe. Would love to try that dish.

Another +1 for sea urchin. It's always intrigued me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

These are not very unusual foods at all, but nevertheless I have still not tried them but would like to eventually.

Deer Venison
    Seabass
    Scallops

I never really see game meat much on menus, I do see the other two often on menus but I very rarely order seafood when out for a meal. I normally order beef, lamb, or pork. I eat other types of fish like mackerel, trout, haddock, cod, salmon and pollack cooked at home occasionally but have never bought seabass or scallops so I must start ordering them to get a feel for what they are meant to be like so I can try some ideas out at home.

I have seen on a few cookery programmes venison with red berry sauce,
    or sometimes there might be a juniper sauce (never tried juniper either), or a blackberry sauce or even plum sauce.

It just looks so yummy on cookery shows, nice and rare meat with the the lovely dark red/black sauce. In my head I imagine it to have a delicate melt in the mouth texture but with a very rich unique flavour.
    Something like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oHdtzv6cANk/UOx3QxxbSNI/AAAAAAAAAcg/-_btINH5N7I/s1600/VenisonRedWineSauceCMYKr.jpg
    If I find it on a menu I will definitely buy it, I will just have to push the images of Bambi out of my head though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I've always wanted to try a boiled quall's egg. Also, duck eggs as well. I hear the duck egg is very strong flavour wise. :/

Arthur Bryants BBQ in Kansas. Been to America a lot but never to proper BBQ towns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Sea urchin for me too,

Bulls testicles are supposed to be nice, but I've never seen them on a menu.
    That Japenese blowfish that can kill you if not cut up properly.
    A durian, but that would be just to troll the rest of the diners :pac:
    That Sardinian cheese with the wee maggots, would give it a try for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

McChubbin wrote: »
    I've always wanted to try a boiled quall's egg. Also, duck eggs as well. I hear the duck egg is very strong flavour wise. :/
    Duck eggs aren't that strong in flavour. I would just describe them as 'richer in taste' than hen eggs. A neighbour of mine sells them & a boiled duck egg is just fantastic for brekky on a Saturday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco had "finest" free range duck eggs a while back, they were larger than hens eggs and actually cheaper than the tesco free range chicken eggs too. They were not overpowering in any way, found them similar to chicken eggs.

I want to try turkey eggs, I'm surprised you don't see them at christmas, I don't think they lay eggs that often.

rubadub wrote: »
    I want to try turkey eggs, I'm surprised you don't see them at christmas, I don't think they lay eggs that often.

Turkey genocide!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Duck eggs depend on the type of Duck. I had Call ducks and they lay a smaller egg, tastes different from the larger Duck eggs you'll find in shops. The problem with them is that they don't lay many. I prefer my Chicken eggs anyway. The Duck eggs are more rubbery in texture too.

I have certain foods I'm curious about but would refuse to eat on ethical grounds, shark fin soup would be on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sea urchins... I kinda hate to burst bubbles, but they don't taste of much. We had some on holiday. They look cool alright in the shell, but it is all looks I'm afraid. Doesn't taste of much. Texture is smooth. That's about it.

I'd like to try every cheese. All those different cheeses in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Prob not that unusual, Prob not that hard to find either, but I'd love to try goat curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

rubadub wrote: »

I have had turkey eggs a few times, a friend has turkeys and she eats the ones they don't want to hatch. They are not that different from hen's tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Pang wrote: »
    I have tried and failed to eat crickets so I would like to brave enough to try eat them again.

Eel, sea urchin, kobe beef, fugu

Crickets fried in soy are delicious. Eel is delicious. Sea urchin I don't like. Kobe beef is a scam imo. Fugu I haven't tried yet!

I want to try dog. I've been to Korea once before but it completely slipped my mind.

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »
    Kobe beef is a scam imo.
    just curious as to why you think this? Haven't tried it myself but always wanted to. Can be hard to find as so many places do wagyu and people assume its the same.

I'd love to try bluefin toro

Advertisement