Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

becoming paranoid about my back yard and security.

• 13-01-2014 2:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

hi all,

quick backround.

House is semi-d in drimnagh.

next door is council house with alley way.

caught fella hopping over next doors wall about 3 weeks ago.

Want to beef up my house so nobody can get in my back yard.

Dont want to use barb wire/ metal spikes etc.

Want it to be cheap!

Im getting a sensor ight put in. i cant really afford a security camera system but the alarm i have is pretty good.

I just want ways to deter people from climbing my walls and getting access to my house.

from the alley next door, they have the iron fence that is really common, you know they type - 2 bars runmning horizontally. this gives people a ladder to get up and over my wooden fencing.

I am trying to get anything llike bricks or stones out so nobody can break through windows with them. I cant really plant rose bushed there as there is concrete running down the side of the house.

I smoke at the back door and am sometimes petrified that someone will wither come flying around the corner of the house or from the back of the door.

Im a 30 year old man weighing 16st and i know i shouldnt be such a feckin pansy but they matters F all when someone comes at you with a knife or a brick.

help fortify my gaff please. advise. tips. materials. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm trying to picture the wall etc but it's kinda hard.
    Anyway, instead of glass/spikes/whatnot you can use grease to prevent anyone from getting purchase on top of the wall.

Or bird stoppers?
    Steelspikeslarge.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

biko wrote: »
    I'm trying to picture the wall etc but it's kinda hard.
    Anyway, instead of glass/spikes/whatnot you can use grease to prevent anyone from getting purchase on top of the wall.

Or bird stoppers?
    Steelspikeslarge.jpg
    its 2 semi-d end of terraces side by side. we both have an alleyway.
    my gate is at the front of the alley. next doors is at the back of the alley, so people can walk down to the end of their alley and be at my back wall.
    It has on the neighbours side the iron fencing, horizontal bars going at 1 ft and 3 foot. after that comes my rather unsturdy timber fencing. then its into my back yard with only a trusty yorkshire terrier to defend the place by licking intruders to death. (he has a foot fetish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Are those bird units above metal and sturdy? If so I do not see much of a difference between them and barbed wire/ broken glass which used to be out on top of walls in the good old days, before it was outlawed that is

Just don't want to land the OP in trouble in case some scumbag does himself an injury.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OP
    Are you after more of a physical deterrent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

like a bodygaurd or a junkie chained to the fence?!

I guess im just looking for good ways to keep home and house secure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm just asking because if its more like physical locks, walls , barriers etc
    The DIY forum may get you better answers.
    If your looking for electronic security solutions I'll leave the thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Doop

Could you not put up a second gate at the end of your allyway as well as the front gate, this would help imo. That and sensor lights as you said.

Do you have an external alarm box to the rear of the house? if not maybe put up a dummy one here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

trellis_large.jpg

Garden trellis similar to this is very good at keeping people out,

If fixed correctly to the top of your wall with only fixing's in the bottom half of the trellis and the top half of the trellis in the air it makes it difficult for someone to get over because its so flimsy

Its a relatively cheap option that looks good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭hanloj1

You can get sensor lights with built in camera too. They use sd memory card. About 130e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Get a flipping big dog

• Advertisement
Advertisement