Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Alarm

Options
  • 13-01-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All

I was looking for some advice. Ive recently moved back into my apartment. Its situated on the 4th floor under the penthouse.

I dont have an alarm system - Looking for advice on whether I should get one etc

Thanks Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi All

I was looking for some advice. Ive recently moved back into my apartment. Its situated on the 4th floor under the penthouse.

I dont have an alarm system - Looking for advice on whether I should get one etc

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark, obviously due to the fact that your apartment is on the 4th floor would seem to make it difficult for a burglar.
    Therefore without seeing your property, the things that I would think about are;

The front door of your apartment which leads onto a common corridor, the structure of the door and the standard of the locks on it should be considered.

Does your apartment have a balcony, is it easy to access from adjoining balconies/ roofs? Again the fact that there is glass here and probably a bog standard lock barrell on the door should be considered.

Is there a void ceiling area above your apartment and below the penthouse where someone could access from the common area and then break through the ceiling and into your apartment?

So if you see any weakness' s even from the above, then yes you need an alarm. All you have to do is think like a burglar.

I suppose some contacts to the doors and a few beams should suffice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi mark. You never mentioned if the apartment is wired for an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 markireland

Hi All
    From the penthouse above you drop down easily into either of my balconies. Both balconies have patio doors. I suppose someone from the floor below could sort of scale up to either patio.

The other issue I have is that I have a pet cat that resides with me.

Ive never had an alarm but the five large windows, the patio doors, and the entrance door have an alarm wire available. I had a look in the hot press - there are about 7 wires coming hidden in the walls. The look like alarm wires.

So I was looking for an economical solution for security and to deter a burgular. Not sure how you indicate the apt is alarmed as i think alarm boxes are forbidden on the interior common areas such as apt entrance.

Thanks a mill

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For a wired system with the option of wireless wither of these systems would suit.
    Is there an option for an external bell?
    If not I would go for an internal SAB. These are louder & are harder to disable & silence.
    You could also look at some form of monitoring & with Siemens you could have IP access via a web browser or Android or iPhone app.

Hi kool

Yes I'm allowed to mount an external siren on the outside of either balcony.

The ip notification us interesting also be nice if it supported RFID for entrance or exit.

Can u pm me with costs when u get a chance.

Thanks

• Advertisement

You can have RFID pace key fobs with the Siemens system .
    The app gives you remote control of the system ld still need some form of dialler or monitoring to notify of o you have any form of landline in the apartment.?

Hi kool

Yes I have a UPC landline.

Thanks

Hi kool

Yes I have a UPC landline.

Thanks

You can use that for monitoring via a voice dialler or for central station monitoring.

Advertisement