Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats Clipping

• 13-01-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi

I got a rescue cat a few months back. They told me she was an indoor cat and shouldnt be let outside etc.

Do I need to get her claws trimmed regulary?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If you have a scratching post that should keep the claws in good shape, they do a good job of keeping them down but if they do get too long (as if you can hear the claws tapping when the cat is walking normally) then they could do with a bit of a trim. I usually just take the bare tip off with a normal human nail clippers but you can get pet ones in any pet shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 markireland

I bought her a scratching post but she wont use it - Prefers my carpet and sofa. I dont mind that.

Sometimes can hear little tamping on timber floors when shes walking.

I dont want her to be uncomfortable etc.

Claws are about the length of my finger nail but obviously her claw is curved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Put double sided tape on what ever she's scratching you don't want and get more scratch poles and types placed in the area to redirect her. For example get card board flat/wavy, get tall once so they can properly stretch out etc. to give variety and see what they prefer. Our cats have about 5 different types and our cats varies on which one they use at any given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'v only ever seen claws overgrown and curled round to the stage it grows back into the pad on a cat once, and that was a very elderly and ill cat that was (in my opinion anyways) cruelly allowed live out the rest of it's days sitting in a box to the extent it had no muscle mass or fat reserves and was just skin stretched across bones. It had gotten past the stage where it could walk around and scratch things and groom itself. Most other cats will keep their own claws in order and you'l find the empty shells of them stuck in your carpet and leather furniture.

You can clip them with a small human nail clippers if they allow it but don't go past the quick (blood vessel), only take the tips off. Saves your hands if you play rough and will save your furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

My 2 use the scratching post but I still find I have to clip them every now and again, I just use a normal nail clippers. I make sure to do it while they are sleepy so they dont get stressed out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Some cats are vertical scratchers and others horizontal scratchers. If the cat wouldn't use the upright scratch post you could try one thats flat they might prefer that. Also if you can put the scratch post beside the sofa they're scratching it might stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KSeraSera

Hi

I got a rescue cat a few months back. They told me she was an indoor cat and shouldnt be let outside etc.

Do I need to get her claws trimmed regulary?

thanks

Some great advice given, if you don't feel comfortable clipping the nails yourself maybe call your local veterinary clinic and they will do it for you and shouldn't be more the 10/15 euro

Advertisement