Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What colleges are good to study multimedia in???

Options
  • 13-01-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hello, I'm currently doing a PLC course in multimedia, its a year long and I'm enjoying quite a lot. I've just began filling out the CAO forms but I'm stuck on what colleges are good for studying multimedia in. I've just spent the last 3 hours searching through qualifax but not really finding many courses. (I think this is because they don't name the course simply as "Multimedia", they give it the name visual communications crap which just makes it more of a hindrance to find.

Has anybody any advice for me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

I am applying for Multimedia courses in Dublin area for 2014. I've been doing some research and there are a few good ones around the city. I suggest looking at these 4 courses in Public Institutuions (i.e.. you are entitled to free fees/grants etc.;)

Audio Visual Media Technology - IADT Dun Laoghaire
    -200 points in 2013
    -3 Years - Level 7 (Options available in IADT and other HEIs to do level 8 in various fields after)
    -Bachelor of Engineering Degree
    Just been to the open day. Big emphasis on electronics and math in this one. Electronics taught from scratch so no background necessary and pass maths D3 and up is accepted. A great course if you are technically inclined. Job prospects look good I reckon, but in areas more like electronics engineering technician jobs. College has great reputation.

Creative Digital Media - I.T. Tallaght
    -325 points in 2013
    -4 years - level 8
    -Bachelor of Arts degree
    Looks like a very creative course and lots of different modules to pick from. I'm not sure about the college reputation but I have read many students raving about this course. Practical and hands on course work. Possibly the one I'll pick first but I will try visit the college first.

Multimedia - D.C.U.
    -425 points in 2013
    -3yrs - level 8
    -Bachelor of Science degree
    Looks great too. Really well respected degree when you finish. You might be worked a little harder on this one. Group projects are a large part of it and being able to motivate yourself to work alone on this one is crucial. Encouraged to do side projects in order to boost your CV but in the end you should have great job prospects.

Creative Digital Media - I.T. Blanchardstown
    -305 points in 2013
    -3 years (level 7) or 4 years (level 8)
    -Bachelor of Arts degree
    -Work placement in year three
    This course looks interesting because you can study 3 years and get a level 7 degree with the option to take a further year and get a level 8 if you like…. or you can sign up for the full 4 years. Looks good because it is varied and practical.

These are just my recommendations. Have a good look at each prospectus. Check the modules and subjects and see which suits you best. As for open days there's not many before Feb 1st but I.T. Tallaght has an open day on the 27th of January.

Best of luck! (although I'll probably be competing with you for a place).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

Thanks a lot for the reply BeakFlakes, you've helped a lot. We may not be competing against each other as I'll be applying as a mature or (immature which ever way you look at it haha)

Yeh I was looking I.T. Tallaght, it was standing out to me.

Good luck with getting a place

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

I am apply with my old leaving cert points and as a mature student also. This gives you double the chance I've been told. Best of luck to you too boss!

Advertisement