Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave query

Options
  • 13-01-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I work in a call centre and when the team and I started we were told we were not allowed take annual leave in January or July as they are out busiest Months which is ok. But now today we were told we are not allowed take annual leave until the end of March unless one day here or there and only one day in December. Which leave 6 of us to fight about the remaining 7 months since one is allowed off at a time. Is this fair can an employer do this? Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Your employer has the right to decide with out your input on every single day you take as vacation (with certain limitations to family etc.) so yes they can pretty much. I'd work on arranging between yourself on how you're going to split your vacation instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think all they are legally obliged to provide is a period of two weeks of continuous leave at some point during the year and apart from this it is up to them to decide when you can take your leave.

Sounds like slavery when you say it out loud but at least most people's employers are reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

As long as they are upfront about it and give you enough advance notice to plan I do not see any problem here at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tails142 wrote: »
    I think all they are legally obliged to provide is a period of two weeks of continuous leave at some point during the year and apart from this it is up to them to decide when you can take your leave.

Sounds like slavery when you say it out loud but at least most people's employers are reasonable
    The flipside of that is that the employer is legally obliged to ensure you take your entire holiday allowance and is required to give you one month's notice. So it seems oppressive that your employer gets to decide when you go on holiday, but they have limited scope for screwing you over.

The 2-week unbroken period is only legally required in the absence of any agreement between the employee and the employer. It's one of the few rights that you can sign away as an employee.

Advertisement