Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossroads in Career

Options
  • 13-01-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi
    I'm at a crossroads in my career. I previously set up and ran two successful businesses and only recently sold my last business.
    I am now working in the business I sold which is not what I am looking for as I sold it because i didn't enjoy it anymore.
    Ideally I would love to set up a new business, the only trouble is that I haven't a clue what that is and for the life of me I can't come up with an idea.
    The other option is to get a job which may be difficult as I'm 48 and been self employed for the last 9 years.
    I feel I need a business / career coach to steer me in the right direction and was wondering could anyone recommend one in Dublin?
    Advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Are you so desperate that you are prepared to pay someone to tell you what you want? If so I am sure I can sort you out! PM me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Firstly, congratulate yourself on a job (or jobs) well done.

Then maybe have a look on some of the investor angel sites. Something might catch your eye. You have the credentials so someone out there would be very glad of your cash and your expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You don’t fully describe your current role in the company you have sold..... are you on an earn-out? What is in the sale agreement/contract? Are you an employee or have you retained a shareholding or directorship? Have you signed an anti-compete agreement? Why are you still there?

IMO getting an employee job elsewhere is not really an option because it will be difficult for two reasons – (a) you have been successfully self-employed for a decade, have sold two businesses so you will be perceived as quite independent, not committed and not really suitable as an employee because you are likely to leave at any time and (b) you’re 48. (Yeah, I know, but in this market that is old.)

You will not get a business idea from a mentor, but he/she will talk you through your ideas.

Take a break, a holiday and then study your area of expertise. That's how to get an idea. Perhaps a role as an INED would be fulfilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Avoid the life coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

OP, I was not sure what you expected when you made your post. You have not given anything like enough basic information to elicit any useful suggestions. Pedroeibar has outlined some of the basics and perhaps taking a break will help and talking to a good mentor will certainly help you get your thoughts/ideas/priorities/realities into a structured order.

Life is about choices, but generally only if you have a choice! If you have accumulated enough money for the rest of your life already, you have a huge variety of options. If you still have to earn an income, those options narrow dramatically. You have not shared this information.

Very few people who retire at such an early age find the resulting lifestyle rewarding. A friend of mine who was heavily involved in Mergers & Acquisitions often told stories of guys who sold their business and then spent long periods trying to re-enter the market with a similar venture or sought direct investments where they could just do the bits that appealed to them. Few were at all happy.

First you need to establish what it is that you want and only then try to figure out a plan to achieve that. You can contact mentors through your local Enterprise Board or there is a the website mentors.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement