Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measure your land

Options
  • 13-01-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

A friend told me about this iphone app today and its very handy, "measure your land" you can measure distances and areas easily on it, very handy for checking the distance of your shots, managed to find out that the last fox i shot was at roughly 308m think he was the furthest i've got so far with my new .243

Also handy for measuring acreages

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Does it take the difference in elevation into account when calculating distance do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I never even thought of that so i don't know to be honest, its free so i doubt its that sophisticated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Local county councils have old land maps to scale too, ask and they might sort you with a photo copy. Handy to mark off what land you have permission and such, a scale ruler will give you an idea of land size too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I used Walking apps when I had my Iphone (what a ball of crap they are!!) to measure distances. Just click start and walk to where you want to measure and click stop and the gps will give you the distance.
    One mistake i made was run the distance with the phone in my hand and as my hands swung back and forwards the distance read 275yards because it read each movement.
    There's plenty of A to B distance calculators on the android market.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Brian5

Man the app is class,always wondered what certain hits I got were in distance,thanks for the post;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

No bother brian, i never heard of it and sickened now i hadn't found it earlier, was trying to find my longest fox kill and had two foxes around the 380m mark with the .204 trying to think of other long ones i've had i can see a whole night being wasted playing with this

ormondprop wrote: »
    No bother brian, i never heard of it and sickened now i hadn't found it earlier, was trying to find my longest fox kill and had two foxes around the 380m mark with the .204 trying to think of other long ones i've had i can see a whole night being wasted playing with this

very handy to measure distances between ditches for people who dont have range finders before taking shots so you've a rough idea in you're head how far away anything might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Anything FREE for an Android phone??

clivej wrote: »
    Anything FREE for an Android phone??

Fields area measure is the android version of the ops one app.
    came up when I typed the name in.
    Distance calculator is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Brian5

Ha remembering fields and gates where you shot them,it's fair handy now for night time lamping you know where to aim cause you know the distance😃there won't be a fox safe on your side of naynagh😄👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I used the nike running app that's good for distance with elevations aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

I use GPS essentials app on my HTC phone. I find it very good. Its free and easy to use and gives you all you need to know. Has a built in compass too if your phone supports it

Advertisement