Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty Buildings

Options
  • 13-01-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi all.. seen this and thought it why isnt it implemented in waterford..

"Dublin City Council is calling on owners of vacant properties in the city to see if they are interested in registering their empty buildings on a register of suitable vacant spaces for individuals and organisations who require space for creative, cultural, and craft uses to rent for one to six months. Dublin City Council is facilitating the making of a Register of Property Owners and Artists, who will be able to contact each other directly to work out the details. Temporary use of vacant space offers a range of benefits to both property owners and space users: It animates “To Let” units currently vacant thereby increasing the unit’s potential to prospective tenants and attracts people to the site, increasing exposure and interest."

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/ArtsOffice/Vacantspaces/Pages/VacantSpaces.aspx

Waterford is riddled with empty buildings, and there are bands and artists crying out for spaces!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Where possible they should be sold off at auction. The Ferrybank Shopping Centre is a prime example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

In a less organised way, a similar facility does already exist in Waterford. Artists/organisations, etc can identify a suitable building, approach the owner and then negotiate a deal with city council whereby rates are waived in exchange for the building being offered rent free to the artist/organisation.

There are also a number of buildings that have been acquired by city council that are let to artists/organisations for minimal rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

can you point me in the right direction there old gregg? id love to look into this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I saw this in today's Irish Times and thought it nice that such a stand-out building (archi-wise) should be kept within the function it was built for. Plus it remind's me of McKee Bks and the building over by Corke St.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/nurses-buy-former-hospital-for-2-9m-1.1654982

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

0rt wrote: »
    can you point me in the right direction there old gregg? id love to look into this!

No worries. The easiest thing to do is drop into the Arts Office in Greyfriars. The Arts Officer Conor Nolan is a good guy and should be able to give you some ideas. In my case I have a small studio space that doubles as a base for my music projects and as an office for Sonic Arts Waterford. Nothing fancy and I'm responsible for decorating and stuff but it's perfect and rent is nominal.

Feel free to pm me if you've any questions and stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement