Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

feeding straw to ewes

• 13-01-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

to make silage last i am giving my ewes about 1 day a week of straw..ie: when the silage is finish they get a day of straw in the feeders.. they seem to love it..i know there is not much in straw but if it makes silage last and animals are fed.. they seem to be doing ok in it, and its only once every 4-5 days and only for 1 day (24 hours)..any comments/problems/feedback?? lambing end of February..the twins are in meal the singles not

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

should work grand we used to feed wheat straw in the passages every 4 or five days what they didnt eat was forked into the pen.but it was only for 12 hours.maybe not recomended for triplet ewes?
    good straw and meal better than bad hay(for man and beast)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ya, if your stuck it should be ok. planning to do it soon myself to stretch out my fodder . oaten meant to be most palatable followed by barley and the wheaten. I'm told that it takes longer to digest straw then hay or silage, so once every few days would be fine. Any time I need to feed low quality fodder I pour molasses on it the night before and let it soak through.

Advertisement