Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break Ins/prevention

Options
  • 13-01-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone knows of ways robbers are marking house that they later intend to rob?
    Came home today to find a brick placed in the front of one of my pillars and I can't imagine where from and a chalk line on one of the pillars.
    Could be all to chance but I took in the brick and washed off the mark just incase.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I heard robbers mark a chalk line in front of a place before they rob it
    not sure if its true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wouldn't they just write down the address or stick a post it on their forehead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Was it a coloured chalk or plain white

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Chalking the pavement also marking window sills is another. Did the right thing, you'd never know and I'd keep the rest to yourself Roxy. Never know whos watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sounds like someone put a curse on you OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Make your house less attractive to break into than your neighbours. I've a doberman, alarm, extra locks, kennel outside, alarm warning stickers, beware of the doberman sign and a community watch sticker on the window, oh and lights outside.

There's loads of things you can do to make your place safer, look less targetable. Even putting some alarm stickers on the windows even if you don't have an alarm. Even putting some big old size 13 boots outside the front door. Google how to protect your house from burglars there's loads of tips out there. Simplest thing to always do is close and lock up everything. I got robbed twice, once through an open window, once through an open door. This was before I got the dog and alarms etc.

They'll rob you at 4am while you're sleeping or 10am while you left for work or midday on the weekend while you're front windows open just to rob a laptop that's on the sitting room table.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

You just ruined tomorrow's game of hop scotch

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Even putting some big old size 13 boots outside the front door.

They will rob your boots then..

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

invest in a few cameras.. ive 3 on the house and one looking out the front window :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Who actually started this stupid idea that a robber will mark a house before robbing it?

As if some clueless robber is walking around scratching their head looking for there brick and chalk. Probably wearing a black and white stripey jumper and carrying a sack with a dollar symbol on it. Don't believe all the BS you hear on telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

a plastic bag/bit of plastic "snagged" on a gate is another (heard about that and the chalk marks from ags who should know)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Who actually started this stupid idea that a robber will mark a house before robbing it?

As if some clueless robber is walking around scratching their head looking for there brick and chalk. Probably wearing a black and white stripey jumper and carrying a sack with a dollar symbol on it. Don't believe all the BS you hear on telly.

I think all this has derived from spy's drop boxes where a coded message with the decipher to open the Russian Embassy in Yemens safe that contains the address and new identity of the eighty ninth descendant of Jesus himself.

Advertisement