Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work experience in computers engineering/IT

Options
  • 13-01-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm a transition year student in Waterford thinking of a career to do with computers and technology. I don't quite know what this really consists of so I'm interested in doing my work experience in a computer engineering company in Waterford so I was wondering does anyone have any ideas? I don't have much knowledge of coding or programming but I am looking to learn, would this be a problem also? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

School won't organize it for you. Talk to the person over it and ask them can you email a couple of companies. I would think TSSG might take you on.

If you have no expierence at all though you could be a burden. You could doi something in networking?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭doyle97

Of course I wasn't expecting the school to organize it for me I just wasn't aware of the companies around me but I plan to go in myself and ask them when I find somewhere! Thank you though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Waterford technologies and TSSG are two anyway. WIT might get you something in the college. Maybe even sit in on a few lectures

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

doyle97 wrote: »
    Of course I wasn't expecting the school to organize it for me I just wasn't aware of the companies around me but I plan to go in myself and ask them when I find somewhere! Thank you though

Employers will take you more seriously if you ring them and ask to speak with the HR Department or relevant manager. I personally would not email, I would ring first and then follow up by email or letter if asked to do so over the phone. If you do not hear from them after the phone call, send them an email to the relevant contact. That way it shows you are serious and not lazy. I am not implying that you are either.

Remember IT has alot of areas, everything from System Administration, Web Design, Engineering to Software Development. Get to know which you prefer best and try work experience in that.

If you're into programming learn a language (even if it is HTML and CSS) yourself.

You could also try volunteering at a local Coder Dojo if they'll take you on.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Sunlife in the estate are definitely worth a call. They have a lot of coding positions done in house so im sure they would be willing to talk to you. How long is your work experience?

dzilla wrote: »
    Sunlife in the estate are definitely worth a call. They have a lot of coding positions done in house so im sure they would be willing to talk to you. How long is your work experience?

Two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ok, you should contact
    some of the following - dataworks.ie / sunlife / tssg /

also if you want to skill up in the meantime, this is a nice useful site - http://www.w3schools.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dylanobyrne1

I've done work experience with Intel, I got there due to my uncle getting me a place. I worked in assembling processors and making sure they fit into the motherboard of the PC, the computer company will not put you in an important part of the company of you are looking for work experience ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I've done work experience with Intel, I got there due to my uncle getting me a place. I worked in assembling processors and making sure they fit into the motherboard of the PC, the computer company will not put you in an important part of the company of you are looking for work experience ;)

Still, that sounds like a cool work experience placement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 dylanobyrne1

Yes, It was pretty interesting and I would recommend trying it. I just felt bored, same thing over and over again.

Advertisement