Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics coursework b 2014!!!

Options
  • 13-01-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

investigate and compare how the rates of flow of powdered or granulated solids through a funnel are affected by (a) the size of the solid particles and (b) any one of the funnel dimensions.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME USEFUL LINKS, TIPS, METHODS ETC... ON HOW TO DO THIS EXPERIMENT!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPREACIATED!!!

THANKS! :confused::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

Well personally, this is the Investigation that I'm confident about. The other one I'm doing (Chemistry) is the one that I'm kinda clueless about, then again I haven't done as much research for that yet.

Anyway, basically get a bunch of granulated solids (sugar, sand, M&Ms) and put them through a variety of funnels with different dimensions, like ones with more of a slope, with more height, with a bigger radius/diameter of the funnel holes and time how long it takes for them to flow through. I'm sure if you do a lot of research, you'll be able to find a website which basically explains the investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 leigh 5

Thank you very much, this has really helped me!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gsmathew99

leigh 5 wrote: »
    investigate and compare how the rates of flow of powdered or granulated solids through a funnel are affected by (a) the size of the solid particles and (b) any one of the funnel dimensions.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME USEFUL LINKS, TIPS, METHODS ETC... ON HOW TO DO THIS EXPERIMENT!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPREACIATED!!!

THANKS! :confused::)

TRY:http://www.aplustutors.co.uk/students/science_course and nuffield founxation website for research and procedure to carry out the investigation!!
    Check out the institute of education exam time supplement....it is such a good guide when writing it up!!!

Thank you very much, that site was very helpful! :)

• Advertisement

I was also wondering do I have to draw a graph for this experiment??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

For the chemistry coursework b experiment what did people get as their results (roughly). In my class everyone's results were all over the place. Anyone successful or know any website that could help!!!

I also did the chemistry experiment and my results were all over the place too, but our teacher said it didn't matter and everyone's will be different. So I'd say don't worry too much about it!!! :)

For the physics experiment my teacher said we need to draw graph's from the results we get and she said something about averaging them and I was just wondering does anyone know what this means and how do you do it??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

For the chemistry coursework b experiment what did people get as their results (roughly). In my class everyone's results were all over the place. Anyone successful or know any website that could help!!!

Google the chemistry experiment and you'll get a set of results, tweak them by a few decimal points and use them. It's an experiment where no matter who does it the results should be very similar
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

For the chemistry one did yalls potassium chloride solubility decrease at like 80 degrees???

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ayokay

leigh 5 wrote: »
    For the physics experiment my teacher said we need to draw graph's from the results we get and she said something about averaging them and I was just wondering does anyone know what this means and how do you do it??? :confused:

Mrcjcs.com has the full experiment, I found it very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

I have to have the physics one done very soon. I found this one harder to write up than biology because there is a part a and part b. Do i Need to write calculations and data analysis and stuff for both parts. if someone could give me some tips it would be appreciated

does anyone have a list of the variables for the physics experiment?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Does anyone know what to write for section iv (Recorded data and analysis?). I initially just drew two tables of results,but was later told this was wrong, and that I had to write down my recorded results in written form etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Does anyone know what to write for section iv (Recorded data and analysis?). I initially just drew two tables of results,but was later told this was wrong, and that I had to write down my recorded results in written form etc.

If that's the same section I'm thinking of we just did tables

If that's the same section I'm thinking of we just did tables

It's the section with written lines opposite the first page of graph paper!. I was looking at the Institute supplement on how to carry out the write up and they said that tables are acceptable. It would make sense as I've analysed the data and observations in the calculations and data analysis section, but my teacher said I have to write something for it and I'm so confused! :(

It's the section with written lines opposite the first page of graph paper!. I was looking at the Institute supplement on how to carry out the write up and they said that tables are acceptable. It would make sense as I've analysed the data and observations in the calculations and data analysis section, but my teacher said I have to write something for it and I'm so confused! :(
    Ya we just did tables for that... Is your teacher new to the profession or something? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This from a site recommended earlier in the thread by ayokay should help I think.

Ya we just did tables for that... Is your teacher new to the profession or something? :P

Thanks! No!.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    This from a site recommended earlier in the thread by ayokay should help I think.

Thanks spurious! I'm actually very familiar with that site!. ( I don't want to say anything that may be against the charter rules etc.)

do you need 2 or 3 pieces of background research?

hf98kk wrote: »
    do you need 2 or 3 pieces of background research?

2 is enough but it'd be no harm to have a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Angelinemurphy

My results and the rest of the class are so different is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

My results and the rest of the class are so different is this normal?
    The results in my class were crazy as well! Nothing you can do about it but it's handy for a comment in the evaluation of results :-)

Advertisement