Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing iPhone 5s in USA?

• 13-01-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if I were to buy an unlocked iPhone 5s in the Apple Store in The US, will it work here no problems?

Also, what's the deal with the warranty over here?

Any help would be great. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Yes it is possible to buy an iPhone in the USA for use here. You should tell them that it is for use in Ireland and they will give you the proper model for here. I did this myself last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

be careful, 4G might not work in Europe.
    you SHOULD tell them, that you'll use it in Europe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It will work here but if anything goes wrong with it, apple will refuse to replace it outside of America depending on the model number.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why wouldn't the 4G work :confused:

Different bands in different regions. The 5s has a lot more compatible bands but not sure if it has the 3 Ireland are getting.

Isn't 4G is on the same spectrum though, regardless of network?

Doesn't matter what network it's on but iPhones sold in America and iPhones sold in Europe have some common bands and then there is some bands that only apply to the American model and the same for the European model.

Apple even state in the warranty that iPads and iPhones might be restricted to region they were sold in for service.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

guil wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what network it's on but iPhones sold in America and iPhones sold in Europe have some common bands and then there is some bands that only apply to the American model and the same for the European model.

Apple even state in the warranty that iPads and iPhones might be restricted to region they were sold in for service.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

So maybe it's not such a good idea to get one in The States then?

If I tell them that I'll be using the phone in Europe will they give a specific model for that purpose?

Well I know that CDMA models would obviously not work over here, but I was always under the impression that 3G/4G GSM models where standardised and would work on all bands, regardless of the network and country they are in. (GSM is GSM afteral?)

Would why a US Apple Store then also specifically stock iPhones that would "Work" in Europe :confused:

Grand. I think I might go for it as I can always bring it back to the Apple Store if it starts acting up.

Thanks for the help Mr.S. :)

The GSM model will work everywhere but different countries are using different LTE/4G bands as well as each network using a mixture of them.

Here's one example of someone with a broken iPhone that can't be returned, there was a few other threads as well
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87292733&postcount=96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Of course, you can still use the GSM model (model A1533 for iPhone 5S) sold in the US if 4G (LTE) isn't important to you. It's slightly different to the model sold in UK and Europe which for iPhone 5S is A1457.

Regardless of where you buy your phone, I would highly suggest using a good quality phone case with shock absorption (I use Spigen SGP Slim Armor) and screen protectors which can save your phone from any unneeded scratches from dropping it accidentally. I know from experience that it has saved my phone several times. A couple of very minor scratches on the phone case, but the actual phone is still in perfect condition. If you're even more clumsy, you could get a case that's water-proof as well.

• Advertisement

Sorry for dragging this out, So a 4G 5S iPhone sold in US Stores, won't work on 4G networks here? only 2g/3g?

It's not a straight forward yes or no. It depends what model you get, certain models only work on certain LTE bands. In Ireland different networks use different LTE bands so it could work on one and not another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Currently, Meteor and Vodafone are the 4G providers listed on Apple's site. I believe they use different LTE bands as an iPhone 5 supports only Meteor while iPhone 5s/5c has support for more bands: both Vodafone and Meteor. Not sure about O2 or Three currently.

The problem is Apple doesn't make it clear on their page whether other models sold outside Europe can be used for LTE in Europe. Presumably because they think most people who live in Europe will buy the UK/Europe model anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

OP,

About warranty cover: take note of this explanation on Apple Ireland's website. You can also call them in Cork on 1850 88 20 48.

About Irish compatibility with the American-sold iPhone 5S: I have researched this issue over the past 24 hours and been in touch with 3 Ireland. In the interests of clarity, my detailed findings are set out below.

1. Apple USA sells model A1533 (GSM) of the iPhone 5S SIM-free. Note I'm referring to the GSM SIM-free version, not the T-Mobile option.

2. Apple Ireland/EU sells model A1457 of the iPhone 5S SIM-free. The model version is printed on the back cover of every iPhone 5S, wherever sold.

3. The distinctions between the two models relate to the 4G frequency "Bands" that each model may avail of. In summary:
      Model
    A1533 (GSM) uses: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
      Model
    A1457 uses: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

These are all outlined on Apple Ireland's website. As you can see from the above, the American SIM-free Model actually covers more 4G Bands than the European model.

With one exception:

4. There is one band missing on the American SIM-free Model: Band 7. This corresponds to a 2,600MHz frequency, which is not in use in Ireland. ComReg's website clarifies this. Band 7 is used by some networks in certain other EU countries.

5. Here is a worldwide list of LTE bands, by country, from Wikipedia. As you can see, all Irish networks (and many EU networks) will use LTE bands 3 or 20. Both Bands 3 and 20 are USA Model A1533 (GSM)-friendly. Certain European networks do make use of Band 7 a lot (Spain, Czech Republic, UK (e.g. EverythingEverywhere) etc.), but as you can see from that Wiki article, Austria is the only EU country which exclusively uses Band 7 for 4G services; Spain and France come a close second. In those (and all other) EU countries, both the US and EU iPhone 5S models have equal 3G compliance (see GSM/EDGE specs above).

6. 3 Ireland has confirmed to me that Model A1533 will work on their network. See this thread.

Note: It is the case that the the older iPhone 5 model would not haver worked on the Band 20 spectrum assigned to 3 Ireland as well as some other Irish networks, because no model of iPhone 5 could pick up Band 20. This is not an issue with either the European or US iPhone 5S SIM-free models.

7. Finally, because of the way that the FCC in the USA have dished out the spectrum in the States, the USA model (A1533 (GSM)) is the better model to have as an Irish person if you're contemplating visiting the USA often and need 4G. It has been expressly stated here that the European model (A1537) is NOT US friendly (because it supports fewer Bands, see above).

In summary, buyer beware, but on the basis of my research above, I am personally happy to go ahead and purchase the SIM-free model (A1533 (GSM)) from the USA myself. I have heard some posters on this board comment about issues relating to 800MHz compatibility (Band 20*), but I believe this relates to the SIM-locked models of the iPhone 5S that were exclusively available in the USA when the iPhone 5S initially hit the market. I don't believe that these considerations apply to the SIM-free version.

* If you're wondering which "Band" number corresponds to which frequency, there is a useful list here. Take note of the column titled "Geographical Area" - "EMEA" refers to Europe. For example, Band 20 is the 800MHz frequency that is used exclusively by European networks; Bands 18 and 19 are the 800MHz frequencies used exclusively by Japanese networks. This fact may be what gives rise to the confusion about whether the American model is Europe-friendly at 800MHz. (Note the absence of Band 18 in the tech specs for the US Model A1533 above, and the absence of both Bands 18 and 19 in the EU Model A1457 above!). On the basis of the above explanations, I believe that the American model is fully Ireland-friendly at 800Mhz (i.e. Band 20). ComReg really ought to be in a position to give a definitive answer along the lines of the above if anyone cares to put in a call....

My conclusions about the SIM-free US-sold iPhone 5S Model A1533 (GSM)) are thus:

It should be compatible with most/all Irish
    4G networks because there is/will be no 4G network in Ireland using Band 7 at all (ComReg has not assigned it),
      It will
    not be compliant with certain European 4G networks (any using Band 7); those are indicated in the Wikipedia article described above,
      In any event, only in Austria (and in Spain and France to a lesser extent) is Band
    7 used exclusively, so there ought to still be some choice for 4G network selection in all EU countries (except Austria),
      Full choice of
    3G network selection will always be available EU-wide with either model, as both American and European models cover all of the same GSM/EDGE 3G frequencies.

One important point: be aware that if you plan on selling your US-sold iPhone 5S on eBay UK down the line, the above Band 7 restriction might be a deal-breaker for a British customer. That said, there ought to be plenty of market for it in Ireland.

Hope this detailed research helps somebody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Fair ya to you Eorpach. Great post

WOW eorpach, thanks for such an amazing reply! Based on that I think I'll chance a US one. I'm on Vodafone, I wonder if it'll work on 4G with them?

mfield wrote: »
    WOW eorpach, thanks for such an amazing reply! Based on that I think I'll chance a US one. I'm on Vodafone, I wonder if it'll work on 4G with them?

Re-read points 4 and 5 in my post above, mfield

eorpach wrote: »
    Re-read points 4 and 5 in my post above, mfield

Yep band 7 is not used here in Ireland, although it is in the UK but they also use band 20. So I think I'll go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I've had a 5S A1533 myself on three since shortly after the 5S came out.
    No problems on three Ireland.
    No 4G yet of course but I'm not expecting any issues whenever they do launch it.
    Let you know if there are any issues, well as long as they don't expect extra money for their 4G service.

4G has been announced today by 3 Ireland. Launches Monday 27 January:

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Has the 5S been passed by Apple for the irish 4G networks?

• Advertisement

According to 3, it has. An update will be pushed out to Irish 5s handsets before Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

OP,

About warranty cover: take note of this explanation on Apple Ireland's website. You can also call them in Cork on 1850 88 20 48.

About Irish compatibility with the American-sold iPhone 5S: I have researched this issue over the past 24 hours and been in touch with 3 Ireland. In the interests of clarity, my detailed findings are set out below.

1. Apple USA sells model A1533 (GSM) of the iPhone 5S SIM-free. Note I'm referring to the GSM SIM-free version, not the T-Mobile option.

2. Apple Ireland/EU sells model A1457 of the iPhone 5S SIM-free. The model version is printed on the back cover of every iPhone 5S, wherever sold.

3. The distinctions between the two models relate to the 4G frequency "Bands" that each model may avail of. In summary:
      Model
    A1533 (GSM) uses: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
      Model
    A1457 uses: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

These are all outlined on Apple Ireland's website. As you can see from the above, the American SIM-free Model actually covers more 4G Bands than the European model.

With one exception:

4. There is one band missing on the American SIM-free Model: Band 7. This corresponds to a 2,600MHz frequency, which is not in use in Ireland. ComReg's website clarifies this. Band 7 is used by some networks in certain other EU countries.

5. Here is a worldwide list of LTE bands, by country, from Wikipedia. As you can see, all Irish networks (and many EU networks) will use LTE bands 3 or 20. Both Bands 3 and 20 are USA Model A1533 (GSM)-friendly. Certain European networks do make use of Band 7 a lot (Spain, Czech Republic, UK (e.g. EverythingEverywhere) etc.), but as you can see from that Wiki article, Austria is the only EU country which exclusively uses Band 7 for 4G services; Spain and France come a close second. In those (and all other) EU countries, both the US and EU iPhone 5S models have equal 3G compliance (see GSM/EDGE specs above).

6. 3 Ireland has confirmed to me that Model A1533 will work on their network. See this thread.

Note: It is the case that the the older iPhone 5 model would not haver worked on the Band 20 spectrum assigned to 3 Ireland as well as some other Irish networks, because no model of iPhone 5 could pick up Band 20. This is not an issue with either the European or US iPhone 5S SIM-free models.

7. Finally, because of the way that the FCC in the USA have dished out the spectrum in the States, the USA model (A1533 (GSM)) is the better model to have as an Irish person if you're contemplating visiting the USA often and need 4G. It has been expressly stated here that the European model (A1537) is NOT US friendly (because it supports fewer Bands, see above).

In summary, buyer beware, but on the basis of my research above, I am personally happy to go ahead and purchase the SIM-free model (A1533 (GSM)) from the USA myself. I have heard some posters on this board comment about issues relating to 800MHz compatibility (Band 20*), but I believe this relates to the SIM-locked models of the iPhone 5S that were exclusively available in the USA when the iPhone 5S initially hit the market. I don't believe that these considerations apply to the SIM-free version.

* If you're wondering which "Band" number corresponds to which frequency, there is a useful list here. Take note of the column titled "Geographical Area" - "EMEA" refers to Europe. For example, Band 20 is the 800MHz frequency that is used exclusively by European networks; Bands 18 and 19 are the 800MHz frequencies used exclusively by Japanese networks. This fact may be what gives rise to the confusion about whether the American model is Europe-friendly at 800MHz. (Note the absence of Band 18 in the tech specs for the US Model A1533 above, and the absence of both Bands 18 and 19 in the EU Model A1457 above!). On the basis of the above explanations, I believe that the American model is fully Ireland-friendly at 800Mhz (i.e. Band 20). ComReg really ought to be in a position to give a definitive answer along the lines of the above if anyone cares to put in a call....

My conclusions about the SIM-free US-sold iPhone 5S Model A1533 (GSM)) are thus:

It should be compatible with most/all Irish
    4G networks because there is/will be no 4G network in Ireland using Band 7 at all (ComReg has not assigned it),
      It will
    not be compliant with certain European 4G networks (any using Band 7); those are indicated in the Wikipedia article described above,
      In any event, only in Austria (and in Spain and France to a lesser extent) is Band
    7 used exclusively, so there ought to still be some choice for 4G network selection in all EU countries (except Austria),
      Full choice of
    3G network selection will always be available EU-wide with either model, as both American and European models cover all of the same GSM/EDGE 3G frequencies.

One important point: be aware that if you plan on selling your US-sold iPhone 5S on eBay UK down the line, the above Band 7 restriction might be a deal-breaker for a British customer. That said, there ought to be plenty of market for it in Ireland.

Hope this detailed research helps somebody!
    Fair play for that post certainly clears up alot. Do you think that would be the same for the Nexus 5 regarding the 4g if bought from the US, (i know this is for apple,just thought id ask) regards dubhoop

I can confirm that the American SIM-free A1533 iPhone 5S works very-well indeed on 3 Ireland's new 4G network in Dublin.

Speedtest results attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

I was told by Apple last month that a US bought iPhone would not be covered for repairs in Ireland - I would have had to send it back to the US in the event of any issues with the phone.

RonanC wrote: »
    I was told by Apple last month that a US bought iPhone would not be covered for repairs in Ireland - I would have had to send it back to the US in the event of any issues with the phone.

Its in Apple's interest for you to purchase a 5S from them in Ireland - they charge 30% more for them here. I was told by Apple USA via phonecall that my American warranty could be supplemented by Applecare and would be good here. Besides which, if you insure the phone and a problem arises, the insurer will likely pick up the tab. Gadgetinsurance.com expressly insure American-bought iPhones.

That said, the choice is yours. This is my fourth US-purchased Apple product and I'm happy with my decision. I've never encountered any problem with Apple in Ireland covering my warranty-related issues in the past.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its in Apple's interest for you to purchase a 5S from them in Ireland - they charge 30% more for them here. I was told by Apple USA via phonecall that my American warranty could be supplemented by Applecare and would be good here. Besides which, if you insure the phone and a problem arises, the insurer will likely pick up the tab. Gadgetinsurance.com expressly insure American-bought iPhones.

That said, the choice is yours. This is my fourth US-purchased Apple product and I'm happy with my decision. I've never encountered any problem with Apple in Ireland covering my warranty-related issues in the past.

Apple charge 30% more? Would that not be down to Duty and 23% VAT ?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple charge 30% more? Would that not be down to Duty and 23% VAT ?

No, absolutely not.

I was actually referring to the inc. Sales Tax / VAT prices since that's what ultimately matters to a consumer, but even so the figures are clear:

16GB iPhone 5S in Ireland: €699 inc. VAT
    16GB iPhone 5S in Ireland: €568 ex. VAT
    16GB iPhone 5S in New York: $706 inc. Sales Tax = €516
    16GB iPhone 5S in New York: $649 ex. Sales Tax = €474

Inc. Tax Differential on 16GB iPhone 5S: 35% dearer in Ireland
    Ex. Tax Differential on 16GB iPhone 5S: 20% dearer in Ireland

32GB iPhone 5S in Ireland: €799 inc. VAT
    32GB iPhone 5S in Ireland: €649 ex. VAT
    32GB iPhone 5S in New York: $815 inc. Sales Tax = €615
    32GB iPhone 5S in New York: $749 ex. Sales Tax = €547

Inc. Tax Differential on 32GB iPhone 5S: 30% dearer in Ireland
    Ex. Tax Differential on 32GB iPhone 5S: 19% dearer in Ireland

There are plenty of markets where taxes are higher in Ireland, e.g. cars - where manufacturers absorb some of the differential in order to remain competitive in the Irish marketplace. Apple is not such a manufacturer. As you can see above, the ex tax prices of both models are substantially more expensive in Ireland. Roll on the EU/USA free trade area!

PS - whilst not the case with very many other products, EU countries do not levy any duty on mobile phones imported into the EU from outside.

Of the 4 you purchased in the US, how many were 4G capable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

dloob wrote: »
    I've had a 5S A1533 myself on three since shortly after the 5S came out.
    No problems on three Ireland.
    No 4G yet of course but I'm not expecting any issues whenever they do launch it.
    Let you know if there are any issues, well as long as they don't expect extra money for their 4G service.

Well to follow up on this I got the 4g carrier update from three and headed into Galway City centre.
    Got 43.34 down and 12.24 up, not too bad.
    Shame it's not working out in the suburbs yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Well the phone charger work back here, or does one need an adapter?

Thanks
    W.

Of the 4 you purchased in the US, how many were 4G capable?

One - since 4G has only been recently introduced, nothing I had purchased prior was 4G-capable.
    Well the phone charger work back here, or does one need an adapter?

Thanks
    W.

The charger plug and the charger lightning cable come as separate in the box. The plug sold in the US is obviously a US two-pin, but you can plug the lightning cable into any existing Irish Apple iPad / Apple iPhone plug (or any USB port).

Alternatively, you can go into CompuB and get a 3-pin Apple iPhone plug for €5 (in their Grafton Street store they sell them at the till downstairs at the back of the shop).

One - since 4G has only been recently introduced, nothing I had purchased prior was 4G-capable.

The charger plug and the charger lightning cable come as separate in the box. The plug sold in the US is obviously a US two-pin, but you can plug the lightning cable into any existing Irish Apple iPad / Apple iPhone plug (or any USB port).

Alternatively, you can go into CompuB and get a 3-pin Apple iPhone plug for €5 (in their Grafton Street store they sell them at the till downstairs at the back of the shop).
    In fairness then you can't really comment on apple replacing stuff. Like it says on their warranty page, they can restrict service to the region it was sold in. I know some have said they got US 4g stuff replaced here or in the UK but there is just as any saying they couldn't get them replaced.

In fairness then you can't really comment on apple replacing stuff. Like it says on their warranty page, they can restrict service to the region it was sold in. I know some have said they got US 4g stuff replaced here or in the UK but there is just as any saying they couldn't get them replaced.

You asked how many 4G items I have purchased abroad, not how many Apple items I have. And I said four Apple items (1 being 4G), but on reflection its actually 7 in total (1 being 4G). Here's some background:

I have made warranty claims in Ireland on two Apple products purchased in the States to US billing address - one of them I have claimed against 4 times, in relation to a power supply issue (both in and outside of the American - and Irish- warranty periods). Apple addressed every single one of my issues, quibble-free, and without any hesitation whatsoever. The saving to me amount to at least €400 euro in all.

I have also made a warranty claim in the USA on an Apple iPhone purchased in Ireland to an Irish billing address. Apple replaced the iPhone on the spot, when I turned up at a Genius Bar at Apple's 5th Avenue Store in Manhattan. I literally walked in off the street complaining about a problem, and they volunteered to give me a whole new handset because they couldn't solve the issue within 30 minutes. I had no Irish warranty documentation with me at the time - only knowledge of my Apple ID details. Their own records indicated that the phone was purchased from an Irish mobile carrier and they didn't batt any eyelid.

So to be fair, I can absolutely comment on Apple replacing stuff. I can't think of any other company who would set such an exemplary after-sales example.

Obviously you'll always find people out there who get treated badly by any company, and yes, their legal T&Cs say that they "can" restrict care, but there are people like me out there too who keep coming back to Apple because the service is so great and have never encountered any legal issues with them whatsoever.

Full disclosure: I've never purchased any AppleCare; either in Ireland, the US or elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

For what it's worth, I bought a 32GB 5S in the US in November and it's connecting to 3's 4G network fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the iphone 6 is due out in October

for now I would buy the iphone 5 off ebay

also find out which lte 4g channel your phone company uses to make sure the iphone has the same

make sure you buy a cover as the iphone glass breaks easly

lte band 3
    Meteor
    Vodafone

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

unless you sneak it in you have to pay irish customs,but you might be alble to claim the usa sales tax back at usa airport

don't buy the 5c its only the 5 with a plastic cover

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-prices-around-world-cheapest-us-most-expensive-jordan

• Advertisement

You asked how many 4G items I have purchased abroad, not how many Apple items I have. And I said four Apple items (1 being 4G), but on reflection its actually 7 in total (1 being 4G). Here's some background:

I have made warranty claims in Ireland on two Apple products purchased in the States to US billing address - one of them I have claimed against 4 times, in relation to a power supply issue (both in and outside of the American - and Irish- warranty periods). Apple addressed every single one of my issues, quibble-free, and without any hesitation whatsoever. The saving to me amount to at least €400 euro in all.

I have also made a warranty claim in the USA on an Apple iPhone purchased in Ireland to an Irish billing address. Apple replaced the iPhone on the spot, when I turned up at a Genius Bar at Apple's 5th Avenue Store in Manhattan. I literally walked in off the street complaining about a problem, and they volunteered to give me a whole new handset because they couldn't solve the issue within 30 minutes. I had no Irish warranty documentation with me at the time - only knowledge of my Apple ID details. Their own records indicated that the phone was purchased from an Irish mobile carrier and they didn't batt any eyelid.

So to be fair, I can absolutely comment on Apple replacing stuff. I can't think of any other company who would set such an exemplary after-sales example.

Obviously you'll always find people out there who get treated badly by any company, and yes, their legal T&Cs say that they "can" restrict care, but there are people like me out there too who keep coming back to Apple because the service is so great and have never encountered any legal issues with them whatsoever.

Full disclosure: I've never purchased any AppleCare; either in Ireland, the US or elsewhere.

I wasn't disagreeing about apples brilliant customer service. What I was getting at was apple offered worldwide service on all iPhones iPods and iPads until the 4g/LTE models were released and that's why I made the comment on warranty replacement.

All in all it's a gamble to take buying an iPhone in the US and well done to anyone who saved a lot buying over there but I don't think its a gamble I'd take myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

All in all it's a gamble to take buying an iPhone in the US and well done to anyone who saved a lot buying over there but I don't think its a gamble I'd take myself.

As I mentioned earlier, Apple in both Vancouver and San Diego refused to deal with my wife's Irish iPhone as it wasn't bought in the region. Numerous Irish friends of mine in the US and Canada also encountered the same issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wasn't disagreeing about apples brilliant customer service. What I was getting at was apple offered worldwide service on all iPhones iPods and iPads until the 4g/LTE models were released and that's why I made the comment on warranty replacement.

As far as I remember, some of the earliest iPhones and iPads were restricted to territory of purchase, then they changed it back to worldwide, and more recently the LTE chips mean they are back to including the restriction in the warranty. I must admit, I was thinking about buying an iPhone in NY in September, but I would'nt take the chance in case something went wrong. Apple Laptops have had worldwide warranty for years and years.

Advertisement