Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Prices 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

fuk all incentive to keep the fr bull calves any longer than 2 wks when price is on the floor... symptom of the return to the initial rearer:mad:

I always find it hard to understand if calf prices are very good lots of dairy farmers will hold onto calves and try to sell as weanlings or yearlings, if calf prices are poor they cannot shove them out of the yard fast enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

I always find it hard to understand if calf prices are very good lots of dairy farmers will hold onto calves and try to sell as weanlings or yearlings, if calf prices are poor they cannot shove them out of the yard fast enough

not even talking about keeping them beyond 4-5 weeks in my point.. when the return isnt there to cover extra milk labour and housing etc and with the increased health risk i think dairy lads will send em out at the first chance... imo alot of lads like to have their calves looking well and maxamising mart price at the 4 wk stage .. if mart returns are rock bottom then the calves will be just thrown out first oppertunity .. jerseys are case in point ... most delivered straight to knackery around here.. fr are in danger of going down that road post 2015 ... sexed semen if perfected will revolutionise beef farming in this country as much as dairy at the expense of the suckler cow...

not even talking about keeping them beyond 4-5 weeks in my point.. when the return isnt there to cover extra milk labour and housing etc and with the increased health risk i think dairy lads will send em out at the first chance... imo alot of lads like to have their calves looking well and maxamising mart price at the 4 wk stage .. if mart returns are rock bottom then the calves will be just thrown out first oppertunity .. jerseys are case in point ... most delivered straight to knackery around here.. fr are in danger of going down that road post 2015 ... sexed semen if perfected will revolutionise beef farming in this country as much as dairy at the expense of the suckler cow...

I made the point about poorer quality HO/JEX calves on another thread. At the time it was pointed out that a strong Export price would solve the issue. As we see that was only for January calves. Sexed semen is five yeras away before beef calves will hit the ground in commercial numbers. It will spell the deathnell of suckler cows. However it may not be a boon to dairy farmers. As Dairy cow numbers increase post 2015 calf numbers will also increase. Howe as cows becom more extreme HO the beef cross calves may be little better than traditional British Fresian type cattle. Numbers will also force down prices and with max carcass weights of maybe 380 kgs this will keep a lid on calves prices.

The dairy farmers need for more land to feed extra cows will also impact on calves prices, however this may be countered as suckler framers from marginal area's will more than likly find that calf rearing is the only viable option.

Will a HEX calf be worth 100-150 euro at 2-4 weeks of age. An AA calf 100 euro in 5 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

sold 4 young fr bulls yesterday 45 50 65 75, bloody cant find the cards of a few bigger lads. Its grand to have them gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Took the first of the calves to nenagh mart today.
    2 he bulls €340
    1 he heifer €280
    2 fr bulls €160
    2 fr bulls €130
    4 fr bulls €125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭limo_100

loveta wrote: »
    250 was for top of the pops calves so i dont think they were great prices and they only seemed to happen when there was a fall out among the boys round the ring

you must not have watched the whole sale or you would have seen the whitehead bull at 475. And early on in the sale blue heifers 430-465.

A red limousin 575 and a charolais 480 cant member if they were bulls or heifers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭limo_100

primary 2 wrote: »
    many calfs in carrigaline?

bout 150 to 200 every week

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

2 he bulls €340
    1 he heifer €280
    2 fr bulls €160
    2 fr bulls €130
    4 fr bulls €125
    What age were the fr bulls and were they square types?

joejobrien wrote: »
    What age were the fr bulls and were they square types?

They were from 3 weeks (€125) to just 5 weeks of age(€160) . They would be square enough I use British Freisian on holstein and vica vearsa neither to the extreme

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

does anybody know does their be much calfs in macroom or abbeyfeale on sathurdays? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

limo_100 wrote: »
    you must not have watched the whole sale or you would have seen the whitehead bull at 475. And early on in the sale blue heifers 430-465.

A red limousin 575 and a charolais 480 cant member if they were bulls or heifers

475 is some price for a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

primary 2 wrote: »
    does anybody know does their be much calfs in macroom or abbeyfeale on sathurdays? thanks

There was 600 in macroom last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Reggie. wrote: »
    475 is some price for a calf

You said it, were he to die how many others would it take to break even with the profit margins involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cowman1991

what kind of money are those middle of the road angus heifer calves making and where is the best place to buy them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

There was 600 in macroom last Saturday.

Is there a minimum bid in macroom or how long does it take to get through them, lads were bidding E1 bids in carrigallen :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cowman1991

what wer d e1 bids for. wat wer angus calves makin n carrigallen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

From what of them i seen sold "first 50 calves" AA bulls from 130-250 hefs 100-200

loveta wrote: »
    Is there a minimum bid in macroom or how long does it take to get through them, lads were bidding E1 bids in carrigallen :eek:

They will take any bid you want ,5 and 10,starts at 11 and they finished 2,30 not a bad trade fr bulls 40 to 200 for the right good one, aa bull 100 to 250 aa hef 50 to 220 plenty of them there at 120 and less .the good whitehead bull and hef making over 300. the same story as every mart the bad calf making bad money and good calf making too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

2 he bulls €340
    1 he heifer €280
    2 fr bulls €160
    2 fr bulls €130
    4 fr bulls €125

You'll have to change your user name after getting those prices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

They will take any bid you want ,5 and 10,starts at 11 and they finished 2,30 not a bad trade fr bulls 40 to 200 for the right good one, aa bull 100 to 250 aa hef 50 to 220 plenty of them there at 120 and less .the good whitehead bull and hef making over 300. the same story as every mart the bad calf making bad money and good calf making too much.

Are they mostly groups? Cos if they were all singles then that's a calf every 21 seconds :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

2 he bulls €340
    1 he heifer €280
    2 fr bulls €160
    2 fr bulls €130
    4 fr bulls €125

What age wer they

royaler83 wrote: »
    Are they mostly groups? Cos if they were all singles then that's a calf every 21 seconds :cool:
    Most of the fr were coming in groups from 2 up to 20 , most lots were 4 and 5 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Most of the fr were coming in groups from 2 up to 20 , most lots were 4 and 5 .

Makes sense, do they group them fairly equally or is there always 1-2 dyin hoors in with 3 other good calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

royaler83 wrote: »
    Makes sense, do they group them fairly equally or is there always 1-2 dyin hoors in with 3 other good calves

In corrin they fcuk as many in as possible,last time I was there they put someone else,s calf in with mine and was selling them together till I noticed. The auctioneer doesn't care..

milkprofit wrote: »
    What age wer they

From just over 3 weeks to 5 and a half weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

kevthegaff wrote: »
    sold 4 young fr bulls yesterday 45 50 65 75, bloody cant find the cards of a few bigger lads. Its grand to have them gone!

Where they british, HO or crossbred?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Any body in fermoy or macroom mart in the last couple of weeks and what is the heifer trade like,
    Also see the mart report for thurles is giving small money for calves just wondering what are they like.

Any body in fermoy or macroom mart in the last couple of weeks and what is the heifer trade like,
    Also see the mart report for thurles is giving small money for calves just wondering what are they like.

Ya I was n macroom got 2 aa 360 kgs 695 ,I will drive them on and kill them at 400kgs very nice stock. ch and lm making from 2 kg to 240 kg .the lighter they are the more they will make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Bought 20 top quality Angus 5 week old 250 euro also 7 nice square rotbrunt bull calves 3/4 weeks old 170

Anybody heard that Larry Goodman is buying AA bulls and heifers. Met a lad that goes to the mart often and he had it as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Anybody heard that Larry Goodman is buying AA bulls and heifers. Met a lad that goes to the mart often and he had it as gospel.

they're buying since last autumn common knowledge

nenagh last Tuesday buying heavy AA and He heifers , ( I wasn't there for the bulls but doubt if there many aa in it)

getting them worth value too, the guys that normally buy these seem to let them off to him

no grass men out , heard a number of feeders are leasing or have deals done to supply silage to dairy men, allowing the dairy man more grazing block

rumoured some tillage men doing the same , going back to pasture

finisher near me putting up 16 bay slatted shed already has extensive buildings and costly land leased (I know cos we out bid)
    Larry's name mentioned here too but I doubt it

jt65 wrote: »
    they're buying since last autumn common knowledge

nenagh last Tuesday buying heavy AA and He heifers , ( I wasn't there for the bulls but doubt if there many aa in it)

getting them worth value too, the guys that normally buy these seem to let them off to him

no grass men out , heard a number of feeders are leasing or have deals done to supply silage to dairy men, allowing the dairy man more grazing block

rumoured some tillage men doing the same , going back to pasture

finisher near me putting up 16 bay slatted shed already has extensive buildings and costly land leased (I know cos we out bid)

Larry's name mentioned here too but I doubt it

I had heard about the forward stores was common knowledge however this lad was specific that he was buying bull and heifer calves and sending them to calf rearers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I had heard about the forward stores was common knowledge however this lad was specific that he was buying bull and heifer calves and sending them to calf rearers.

sorry forgot it was the calf price thread, :o

no info on sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My dad was in Blessington today with afew calves, the usual 40/50quid for 2 fr bulls, but the 3rd chap, a good strong 4wk old, out of a big HO cow only bloody made 22quid. Then an AA 110, HE 100, both heifers. Fairly depressing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Timmaay wrote: »
    My dad was in Blessington today with afew calves, the usual 40/50quid for 2 fr bulls, but the 3rd chap, a good strong 4wk old, out of a big HO cow only bloody made 22quid. Then an AA 110, HE 100, both heifers. Fairly depressing stuff.
    just as well it was your dad that went with them and not you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Surprised with the he and aa, bet they'll be twice that when I'm buying

If you think calf prices are poor for Friesian's think about the lads that are selling yearlings at a euro/kg. When you look at yearlings calves are overpriced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Agreed, I'm happy that they are gone, time to focus fully on getting 2/3k outa the cow in milk :)

Agreed, I'm happy that they are gone, time to focus fully on getting 2/3k outa the cow in milk :)

Got €70 a piece for 25 fr bulls at home today, eldest just over 3 wks old. He took everything over two wks old that I had a card for. Pretty happy with that, sorry I didn't have more registered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Got €70 a piece for 25 fr bulls at home today, eldest just over 3 wks old. He took everything over two wks old that I had a card for. Pretty happy with that, sorry I didn't have more registered!

Deepsouthwest, was that from an exporter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Very fair deal there.

Deepsouthwest, was that from an exporter?

Local calf buyer, buying for an exporter, took them straight from my yard to the exporters lorry

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

What type of calves were they? What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yep, heard that on Tuesday and from someone who would be in the know. Although we heard that he was buying whiteheads also.

Ger1987 wrote: »
    What type of calves were they? What part of the country are you in?

Fr bulls, west cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Deep south any word on the mart trade for heifers in your neck of the woods

Fr bulls, west cork

Was it a young lad with a white truck:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Base price wrote: »
    Yep, heard that on Tuesday and from someone who would be in the know. Although we heard that he was buying whiteheads also.

Might as well be p!ssing against the wind trying to do anything in this place

Deep south any word on the mart trade for heifers in your neck of the woods

Slow trade at the moment I think, but that would be expected with the weather, hopefully it'll pick up when cows go to grass, it normally does.

• Advertisement

Was it a young lad with a white truck:D:D

No

Advertisement