Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian food shops

Options
  • 13-01-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are any asian food shops in Dublin 15 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not that I'm aware of..but there is one in Finglas across the car park from Aldi...not too far away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

2 or 3 in Coolmine IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Is the one off the main Street in Blanchardstown gone?
    It was in the lane off St Bridgets church.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Is the one off the main Street in Blanchardstown gone?
    It was in the lane off St Bridgets church.

I went looking for that one at the weekend and it seems to be gone. Those two suggestions are great though, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

There's a place in Stadium Business Park called Pinoy I think. I'm not sure though if it's open to the public or trade only

• Advertisement

If you come into the IE from where the Fire station is , one is on the right down beside CDV plumbing the other is past power city on the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

nudger wrote: »
    If you come into the IE from where the Fire station is , one is on the right down beside CDV plumbing the other is past power city on the right side.

Do thet stock much chinese produce. I find with these asian stores it is mainly indian.

Do thet stock much chinese produce. I find with these asian stores it is mainly indian.

The first one is a mix of both maybe more Indian, the second is Halal but has a mix of stock, think there is a third one just can't remember where.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

used to go to town to buy Chinese spices etc every time I found a recipe I wanted to try, but lately I found that tesco have a good selection of Chinese spices and sauces that are needed. Last time I was there they even had Chinese 5 spice which was of big surprise to me. Even Aldi now have some Asian spices that are always handy to have in the cupboard.

Little of topic:I found that if anyone that wants to give/add Chinese taste to their dish, all you need is 5 spice,oyster sauce and and soy. Almost same as adding cumin and coriander powder to a dish, to give it Middle Eastern taste.

PS:I love food :))))

Tesco is a total rip off for spices though, at least 3-10 times the price of what you'd pay in an Asian supermarket depending on the spice.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Tesco is a total rip off for spices though, at least 3-10 times the price of what you'd pay in an Asian supermarket depending on the spice.

it is indeed. But all Asian shops here don't stock Chinese spices. Only town in Parnell Street has the actual Chinese stores. There's a little section in the grocery store beside the Garda station,that stocks Asian spices close to Chinese but they're mostly Filipino/Thai from what I guessed.

ibstar wrote: »
    it is indeed. But all Asian shops here don't stock Chinese spices. Only town in Parnell Street has the actual Chinese stores. There's a little section in the grocery store beside the Garda station,that stocks Asian spices close to Chinese but they're mostly Filipino/Thai from what I guessed.

Asia Market on Drury Street is primarily Chinese? A large bag of 5 spice (about 400g) costs less than a small jar in Tesco

that's an option. But for someone like me who hates going to town, local is the best option :)

ibstar wrote: »
    that's an option. But for someone like me who hates going to town, local is the best option :)

I stock up twice a year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I would suggest Asia market too. Just head in early on a Saturday morning to avoid all the traffic. I always park in Fleet St car park - you're straight out onto the quays, cross the bridge at Heuston, and head home up through Chapelizod and the back of Castleknock. Takes about 25 mins if there's minimum traffic. Plus you get to poke around town for a couple of hours and drink fancy coffee :)

There used to be a branch of the Oriental Emporium in Greenogue Ind Est in Rathcoole, but they seemed to be closed (shutters down) every time I went looking. Haven't checked for a couple of months now, anybody know if they're gone for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

If you really want Chinese food, spices, equipment and ingredients then you should go to Caterworld in the Nangor Business Park, Nangor Road, Clondalkin.

Directions
    From Dn 15. drive over through Lucan to Clondalkin, towards the Mill Shopping Centre. Before you reach the Mill Centre (Dunnes Stores), head towards the N7 on the Nagnor Road.

About 1/2 way between Clondalkin and the Naas Rd (n7), on said Nangor Road, you will come to a roundabout. Take the 1st turn off the roundabout, (as you head away from Clondalkin) and continue straight into a small idustrial estate.

There is a wall to your left so you have to follow this. After 2-300m you will see a big sign on a warehouse for Caterworld.

Park up and once inside grab a trolly.

Shop.
    It's a huge warehouse type of operation. To give some idea of the size of this place, I'd say its about 1/3 the size of B&Q. It's so big it's intimidating.

There are usually "Chinese" people in there shopping, buying supplies for their restaurants and shops.

All the items in the warehouse have the prices displayed on the shelf.

Once inside, the first thing they have is kitchen equipment. Woks of all sizes. Cleavers and choppers. Chinese gear, the red silk stuff, lanterns. Big gas rings. Ladles and stirring tools of all sizes, pots big enough to cook commercial quantities of anything.

Further on in and on your RHS they sell Indian spices.

Then walk around the whole warehouse at your leisure.

They sell all types of rice there by the sack. Massive 4-5 gallon drums of oil. 5lr.tubs of soya sauce. etc etc

They also have a fridge full of frozen fish and other stuff - spring rolls etc. I have no idea of what sort of fish they are selling, just they they are not Irish.

They also sell Chinese vegetables, or at least not the sort I've seen in Tesco's

Most of the stuff is sold in boxes of 12 or more but as you come back towards the checkout, they have taken the goods out and sell individual items.

They sell everything you could possibly want to open a Chinese restaurant from scratch

Checkout
    When you are finished, take your trolly to the checkout and get your purchases scanned. Then you go over to another desk on the way out to pay.

Cash only. No cards etc.

And before anybody asks, No, I don't work there or have anything to do with them

Advertisement