Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Drive - Duplicate Files on Syncing

Options
  • 13-01-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

So... I installed Google Drive on Machine A, cut and paste my files into it and they uploaded to the cloud. Brilliant.

Later the same day, I install Google Drive on Machine B.
    Rather than re-download 10GB of what I just uploaded, I simply put the same files into the Google Drive folder, and then started the programme.

My thinking was that they would sync.

But no, what it done was sought to re-upload the same files, sticking a (1) next to each one, and some just disappeared.

Now my files are in an absolute mess - it is gonna take me an age to sort them.

How can this be avoided? Happen anyone before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

myshirt wrote: »
    So... I installed Google Drive on Machine A, cut and paste my files into it and they uploaded to the cloud. Brilliant.

Later the same day, I install Google Drive on Machine B.
    Rather than re-download 10GB of what I just uploaded, I simply put the same files into the Google Drive folder, and then started the programme.

My thinking was that they would sync.

But no, what it done was sought to re-upload the same files, sticking a (1) next to each one, and some just disappeared.

Now my files are in an absolute mess - it is gonna take me an age to sort them.

How can this be avoided? Happen anyone before?
    Its a gripe of mine too and I made the exact same mistake first time I used it but you need to have all of files uploaded on Machine A and then let all other PCs sync the same files down, this is a pain because if you have 50GB of stuff, its a lot of downloading.

Dropbox does do this the right way and has done since the start, not sure why Google haven't improved on this.

I recommend having specific folders synced on Machine B if possible. My server for instance is only syncing 1 folder that auto loads torrents. Not ideal but until Google sort it and recognise files by their MD5 or whatever method Dropbox use, we are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Are there any other reliable options out there?

Is skydrive any good?

Google drive was a complete disaster for me..

I need about 15gigs, and with all the moving I do with work I would be working on 3 devices.

Advertisement