Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar on a new build

• 13-01-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48

Hi

I am looking for some advise.
    We are starting to build a 3 bedroom house (appx. 1100 sq.feet) very shortly and we want to install solar panels on the roof. Basicially i haven't got a clue about solar energy, how it works and whats best to install etc. All we know is that we want the electricity, water heating and underfloor heating to work of it, if this is at all possible.

If there is anybody out there who knows a bit about the whole thing i would appreciate any comments. the more i learn about it the better.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

trulla wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for some advise.
    We are starting to build a 3 bedroom house (appx. 1100 sq.feet) very shortly and we want to install solar panels on the roof. Basicially i haven't got a clue about solar energy, how it works and whats best to install etc. All we know is that we want the electricity, water heating and underfloor heating to work of it, if this is at all possible.

If there is anybody out there who knows a bit about the whole thing i would appreciate any comments. the more i learn about it the better.

Thanks

Only option there is solar PV and heat pump,
    A regular poster here fclauson has a PV array running his heat pump which would take care of all your hot water and heating needs, but to get your total house usage from the panels would require a large array, I'm sure other posters here could estimate your house usage for you,
    3000 units should cover the heat pump, I'm figuring another 4000-5000 should cover everything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd imagine the cost will completely put you off. That's a lot of energy use you want the array to provide. It would need to be pretty massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Hi Trulla, Have you looked at this crowd -SNIP- Im considering in putting this system in. I have family members put it in and saving them a fortune in in oil and fossil fuels. PM me if you want more info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

what prices are you getting ,are you south facing roof,solar water heating would be good with electric power showers for the winter,also solar heating might be good,you would need some back up for,winter as for electric,you need batteries to store it unless your allowed to run the meter backward,about 20 panels, I would say its expensive for electric panels

Quoted in the region of 15k, and yes south facing. Yes the oil is the back up, should cut my usage from 4000 litres per year to about 1500 litres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Trulla - there is a mismatch in looking for any heating from solar - it works best when you need it least. And on a well insulated house, your heating season is VERY short - about four months. During those months, the sun is at its worst.

Solar thermal works well at providing hot water during the summer months when your heating should be off. PV works great at providing daytime electricity, and yes - could run a heat pump. But a PV array that powers your heat pump in the winter will be exporting a lot of surplus electricity to the ESB during the summer, and the export tariff in Ireland is only 9c.

But if you run your heat pump on off-peak electricity, you will be buying that power at night for less than 9c, so your house can be carbon neutral, selling really useful daytime electricity and buying back night rate power which is often surplus wind energy.

There are cold winter days when PVs really kick out lots of power, but on wet windy days, the production is negligible. My 1.9kw array produced only 1.5kw hrs today.

I would say beware of solar companies offering heat pumps that work on a small roof panel to heat your house. Heat pumps work much better using ground source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

PhilipJ wrote: »
    Quoted in the region of 15k, and yes south facing. Yes the oil is the back up, should cut my usage from 4000 litres per year to about 1500 litres

How big is your house, 4000L or even 1500L sounds like a lot of oil.

Effects wrote: »
    How big is your house, 4000L or even 1500L sounds like a lot of oil.

Its 3000 sq foot.

Advertisement