Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light in shed for Boiler Servicing.

Options
  • 13-01-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I have an outside boilerhouse, and boiler is controlled by a timer under the stairs. This is a bog standard old set up, just the basic's.

I assume its safe to rig up a light and switch to existing wiring in the boilerhouse by just taking a live feed and return from some point in the wiring.

My main question is, with the timer off, would there still be power for the light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I have an outside boilerhouse, and boiler is controlled by a timer under the stairs. This is a bog standard old set up, just the basic's.

I assume its safe to rig up a light and switch to existing wiring in the boilerhouse by just taking a live feed and return from some point in the wiring.

My main question is, with the timer off, would there still be power for the light.

Unless there is a permanent live supply at boiler the light would only work when the time clock is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Unless there is a permanent live supply at boiler the light would only work when the time clock is on.

Time to get the phase tester out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Or you could put the clock out in the boiler house and put a joint box under the stairs. That would extend out your mains supply on the old switch wire out to the boiler house and just rewire the clock outside plus you then have a permanent feed out there to wire your light properly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is this a job for an REC as it wouldn't be classed as "minor electrical works" as it is a new proposed lighting point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

WikiHow wrote: »
    Is this a job for an REC as it wouldn't be classed as "minor electrical works" as it is a new proposed lighting point?

Yes, best get the REC in if it is to be done right quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

WikiHow wrote: »

What do you mean:confused:

Advertisement