Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my efibre "slow"?

Options
  • 13-01-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Can someone explain to me why my download speed of my efibre is nowhere near what it should be. I've tried both wired and wireless (while next to the router) and the results are the same on speedtest.net.

Just checked now and I got 11.24mbps download and 16.01mbps upload. Surely that can't be right for someone on the 50meg package?

Also, I actually wanted the 70meg package but I've been told that the cabinet in the estate can only handle 50meg. Who decided what the cabinet can handle? It's a relatively new estate and only a couple of hundred yards from the exchange, so I find it hard to believe it can only handle 50meg.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

First part of my problem has been sorted!

Made a call on my landline and it seemed to kick things back into gear again. Back up to 46mbps.

Would still like an answer to the exchange/cabinet question if possible.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Hi guys,

It's too late to call Eircom support now, so I thought I'd jump on this thread. I have unlimited 70MB package, and it's a shambles. So much so that within a week I called support who sent me out the TP-Link adapters: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-PA211KIT

Fair enough these worked, after I troublehshot with multiple laptops / desktops. I am now using a desktop connected via 'ethernet', and my speed is at a PRE-FIBRE rate of 4.39 Mbps. Ping is 37 ms - what brought the problem to my attention originally was that I was getting pings of > 150 ms while gaming and being booted off servers.

Why is the fluctuation so severe?? Last week I was breaking 36 Mbps... which is acceptable since I was told that my line can only really handle 40, and that's the speed the guy was getting when he pinged my line.

@Soarer: I tried that 'solution' of making a call from the landline, which didn't have any effect. I'm sure you'll agree this is not an ideal situation to be in, making calls any time the speed drops. How annoying is that if you're in the middle of a Netflix movie for example?

I have a case number: 1267929. I would appreciate some follow up here from Eircom, as the service I am receiving is completely unacceptable.

Regards,
    (PM me if needed for name, contact number etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

My speeds have dropped majorly I'm on the unlimited package and using speed test tonight I'm lucky to get 7meg download and 17meg upload it's a joke I was on to Eircom and they said my line of working and they couldn't find a fault 

I'm not happy paying extra for speed I'm not getting 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

My eFibre speed is all over the place the last few weeks. At 1am I can get roughly 47Mbps down 12Mbps up. At peak times (6pm to 11pm) it varies between 4Mbps and 20Mbps, seems to get slower as the evening progresses.

I'm about 100m from the cabinet.

I've spoken to several people in the same housing estate and they are experiencing the same issues.

(P.S. I've tested with Ookla Speedtest on wired connections.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Soarer wrote: »
    Evening all.

Can someone explain to me why my download speed of my efibre is nowhere near what it should be. I've tried both wired and wireless (while next to the router) and the results are the same on speedtest.net.

Just checked now and I got 11.24mbps download and 16.01mbps upload. Surely that can't be right for someone on the 50meg package?

Also, I actually wanted the 70meg package but I've been told that the cabinet in the estate can only handle 50meg. Who decided what the cabinet can handle? It's a relatively new estate and only a couple of hundred yards from the exchange, so I find it hard to believe it can only handle 50meg.

Thanks lads.
    Hi Soarer

Sorry to hear this, the best advice I can offer is to contact the technical support department where they will be able to look into this for you.
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Technical support can be contracted on free phone 1901 (after entering your landline number then chose option 3 then 2 when prompted) [/font]

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement