Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds are dreadful lately.

Options
  • 13-01-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed some really weird lag in games today and started looking in to it. This is what I am getting on 40mbit efibre connection. I cant put this in to any sort of acceptable form at all.

3229653966.png

I got eircom for the last 7 years and in fairness I was always getting fantastic service. I never looked for cheaper options as I did not mind paying for a good service specially when I always get a great customer service ( or I am getting just lucky! ). These speeds are really unacceptable. My friend who lives few houses away ( his internet is on same exchange ) is getting same issues.

Could you please have a look in to this issue. thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

My speeds have dropped majorly tonight I was on to customer care and they couldn't find a fault it's very frustrating 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

i noticed that my 3 mobile broadband internet has dropped by about half since just before christmas. Still waiting for 4g down here :(

sorry didnt realisethis was an eircom only thread

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Update: 

I kept doing speed test. It was jumping from 2mbit to 13mbit. now at 00:00 I got this result:

3229797549.png

Did Eircom started Throttling Bandwidth for me at peak times, something that I never had any issues until today? After 7 years of being a customer?

I know its too late now, but I will want to hear some explanation in the morning. The Eircom lads on this forum were always helpful and hopefully will be able to give some answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Update: 

I kept doing speed test. It was jumping from 2mbit to 13mbit. now at 00:00 I got this result:

3229797549.png

Did Eircom started Throttling Bandwidth for me at peak times, something that I never had any issues until today? After 7 years of being a customer?

I know its too late now, but I will want to hear some explanation in the morning. The Eircom lads on this forum were always helpful and hopefully will be able to give some answers.
    dont know if it makes a difference but the 2 servers are different u posted speed tests for 1 dub 1 limerick. maybe something up with the limerick 1? 

househero wrote: »
    Update: 

3229797549.png

dont know if it makes a difference but the 2 servers are different u posted speed tests for 1 dub 1 limerick. maybe something up with the limerick 1? 
    I used a lot of different ones. The best way to see is to go further then your local server. It paints the better picture. I now even did the London server and got this:
    3229813285.png

All the night I was barely getting 2mbit outside of Ireland. now magically after 00:00 it fixed itself. It has Bandwidth throttling written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You think you have problems?

I'm in Limerick too. :confused:

Untitled_zps8a1c82da.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Eircom used to be great, no throttling.

It'd be okay if ye were having peering problems, but I worry that ye're trialling throttling. Because right now no throttling is your only advantage over UPC.

Eircom used to be great, no throttling.

It'd be okay if ye were having peering problems, but I worry that ye're trialling throttling. Because right now no throttling is your only advantage over UPC.
    Indeed, one of the best things about Eircom for me. In all this time I did not had this Issue. I would not even call myself some sort of Demon Who downloads 20 Movies each day. Its funny how it became an Issue when I finally started using Netflix a lot more.

I dont want to jump the gun just yet ( I sort of already did I guess ), and I do want to hear what will lads say here. They were always helpful and giving great Customer support. I just really hope there is an Issue in actual service ( with such weather I would not be surprised if they are having some issues ), not the Throttling, to what all of the things point out so far.

I like eircom so far, but there is nothing I can do if Eircom just decided that I a bad user and needs to put down in my cage. I cant go to anyone else as Eircom the only thing in this area.

Just replace Cable Company with Eircom in this Video.

Any update on this lads? Is eircom having some internal issues with broadband? Looks like a lot of customers effected by this.

Any update on this lads? Is eircom having some internal issues with broadband? Looks like a lot of customers effected by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭knucks

I've noticed the same dips in download speed on my new eFibre connection in Cork.. I used to have a very steady connection on the 24Mb package, I always managed about 18Mb download..

Since I've gone to eFibre the download speed varies wildly from 3Mb to 40Mb.. The upload speed is always acceptable.  I havent correlated it with any particular times of the day yet, and was giving it a few days, as it was a new connection. But if other people are seeing the same thing, maybe there is an issue with Eircom after all..

I've noticed the same dips in download speed on my new eFibre connection in Cork.. I used to have a very steady connection on the 24Mb package, I always managed about 18Mb download..

Since I've gone to eFibre the download speed varies wildly from 3Mb to 40Mb.. The upload speed is always acceptable.  I havent correlated it with any particular times of the day yet, and was giving it a few days, as it was a new connection. But if other people are seeing the same thing, maybe there is an issue with Eircom after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'm back to my normal speeds again today.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I've noticed the same dips in download speed on my new eFibre connection in Cork.. I used to have a very steady connection on the 24Mb package, I always managed about 18Mb download..[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Since I've gone to eFibre the download speed varies wildly from 3Mb to 40Mb.. The upload speed is always acceptable.  I havent correlated it with any particular times of the day yet, and was giving it a few days, as it was a new connection. But if other people are seeing the same thing, maybe there is an issue with Eircom after all..[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi knucks

knucks wrote: »

Hi knucks

I agree, speeds of 2mb on efibre is quite bad and I would highly reccoment contacting technical support for assistance with this.
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Technical support can be contracted on free phone 1901 (after entering your landline number then chose option 3 then 2 when prompted).[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Al
    [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭poxon

Same here, North Co. Dublin - Ive had 24mb for nearly two years from which I was getting 17-18mb, then Ive moved to efibre in June and I was contsantly getting over 40 mb upload and 10-14 down - but since day or two speedtest gives me 4-8 mb.

3232055421.png

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭poxon

And two hours later:
    3232275142.png

Hi All

Please follow this link which should offer more information on the issues you are experiencing lately:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Recent-service-issues/td-p/56284

Thanks

Al

Hi All

Please follow this link which should offer more information on the issues you are experiencing lately:

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Recent-service-issues/td-p/56284

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan.

• Advertisement

Hi All

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan.
    No worries ShadowHearth

Hoping it's resolved soon, I'm a bit partial to online gaming myself :)

Al

Hi All

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan.
    No worries ShadowHearth

Al
    You know our pain so. ;) At least we know now there is an issue and we are not poking in to darkness. Cheers again, lets hope it will be sorted as soon as possible! Lots of serious gaming has to be done! :)

Hi All

Thanks

Al
    Thanks Alan.
    No worries ShadowHearth

Al
    You know our pain so. ;) At least we know now there is an issue and we are not poking in to darkness. Cheers again, lets hope it will be sorted as soon as possible! Lots of serious gaming has to be done! :)

I do indeed ;)

Withdrawal symptoms setting in.....

Also maybe try American servers in the meantime, it’s a little better.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brendanf

Same Here - was at a steady 24mbps download all over Christmas - down to about 3mbps on my ipad last night and has being poor the past week or so....any explanations????

brendanf wrote: »
    Same Here - was at a steady 24mbps download all over Christmas - down to about 3mbps on my ipad last night and has being poor the past week or so....any explanations????

Read thread first m8. Alan already explained it and he got a link to it.

brendanf wrote: »
    Hi brendanf

Please follow this link for information on the issues you are experiencing : http://bit.ly/1j7pRP9

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Using ADSL1 and my speeds can't get any worse than 6 down or 312kb upload. I love to have 30 meg down and 8 meg up. Don't be greedy, think of us when you complain about your speeds on Efibre.

I bought an x box 1 at Launch, and i can barely upload a 5 minute video to Youtube., it took two hours for it to render and upload a 5 minute game clip to my skydrive on xb1

Uploading sucks when you only have ASDL.

KIERAN1 wrote: »
     Using ADSL1 and my speeds can't get any worse than 6 down or 312kb upload. I love to have 30 meg down and 8 meg up. Don't be greedy, think of us when you complain about your speeds on Efibre.

I bought an x box 1 at Launch, and i can barely upload a 5 minute video to Youtube., it took two hours for it to render and upload a 5 minute game clip to my skydrive on xb1

Excuse me for wanting the product I payed for. I am currently paying for 40mbit ( realistic 30-35mbit, which I am happy with ) internet, so thats what I want to get. I dont understand why should I be put in to this guilt form, just because you ( most likely live where population density is extremely low and it makes no sense to roll out efibre for very few customers when there are way more dense areas that would make more use of it ) are not getting efibre?
     Should we all be happy to have 1mbit, just because thats how much people get in developing countries in Africa?

Eircom was great for me providing good stable speeds in the last few years, now it is confirmed that there is a technical issue and it it being taken care off. Its more then I could ask at this situation. I am happy. In fact, I have not tested it last night, but it looks like that service improved already.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

I made a thread about this in the "broadband" boards yesterday. For the last week or so, in the evenings my 50m connection has been dreadful. Iv copy and pasted my issue below.

For the last few evenings iv been getting very bad speeds on a 50meg eircom fiber connection that usually performs really well. My neighbor across the street is experiencing the exact same thing in the evenings. Maybe from around 8 or 9pm onwards, the same time iv noticed the same issue.

I upgraded to fiber during last summer, and have always gotten no less then 40meg, and less then 100 ping, when testing the connection anywhere within ireland/uk.

I was told by eircom when ordering, how theres supposedly no congestion when it comes to the fiber broadband.. idk, but its effecting simple tasks like watching netflix, and taking forever for the content to load up. 

Below are some test results from tonight(yesterday night), the worst was the night i noticed it first, i was getting half a meg all evening, with 100+ ping, regardless of what server i tested on.

3237149297.png

3237155189.png

3237161591.png

What could be causing this ?

Edit,
    Here are tests from the same servers above, taken just now. But later this evening it will drop again, if its anything like the last week.

3238910596.png

3238905974.png

3238912689.png

Edit,
    Iv read through this thread fully and see eircom are having some issue with a break in the line. Fair enough.

Edit, after 8pm like clockwork, same liverpool server

3239341154.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

KIERAN1 wrote: »

Come down to kilrush and get your 2.5mbps connection!

Advertisement