Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This week I want to go down the line of a REALLY hoppy IPA.
    BrewDog's Jackhammer is a good 'un for the big hop flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Try their Little Things That Kill session ale if you get a chance. Only 3% abv but you really don't notice. Has as much hop aroma and flavour as some the best IPAs I've tried, really delicious.

beer_281847.jpg

This was very nice, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

So as always on a Friday I go to my local offi and purchase a few beers.

This week I want to go down the line of a REALLY hoppy IPA.

I dont mind what % it is. Low or high I'll look at either. I tend to go towards the higher %. I find they tend to be more complex flavour wise but as I said I'm open to anything here.

I also dont care about the price. Not that I'm loaded but quality over quantity and all that.

My biggest want here is flavour. I want a beer that is all about the big hoppy flavours.

So any suggestions welcome.

Hers a list of IPA's I've been drinking of late. I'd like something different so none of these please as suggestions.

Going by what you like and the fact that money isn't too much of a concern :

Nogne ø #500 or 2 Captains are both hugely complex and hoppy.
    Tø Øl Dangerously Close To Stupid is amazing (if fresh). Their First Frontier and Final Frontier are also very good.
    The Brewdog Mashtag that's around is lovely.

I've found most of the Mikkeler beers available here a bit of a disappointment tbh but others rave about them and some are very hoppy.

The ones I've mentioned above are, for me, more hop flavour and aroma hoppy than bitter hoppy, which suits my taste. Don't get me wrong, they are bitter but better balanced imo. I find Jackhammer so bitter it hurts my mouth and I love Hardcore (though, I did like Jackhammer on draught).

I also really really like 8° Full Irish, Amber Ella, Simon Rye, Hurricane and Vic Secret (if you want to go black IPA). Such a good range of hoppy specials from an Irish brewery.

The Weird Beard range that I've tried are very good and I've yet to have a bad beer from Bevertown - really funky cans to boot.

Maybe not so hop forward but Thornbridge beers are very very well made - again a black IPA but their Wild Raven is a favourite of mine.

For a different slant , try Viven Imperial IPA - a Belgian take on the style.

A bottle of each, please for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Plates wrote: »
    If you like Punk, I'm pretty sure you'll like BrewDog Hardcore and Jackhammer.

Yeah I tried that few weeks back actually. I thought it was ok. I preferred Hardcore if I'm honest. Felt that the Jackhammer was a bit bitter and syrupy/mediciny.

I'm also a big fan of Founders All Day IPA - lower % than most IPA's but a great starter beer for a night in. Great citrus flavour to get the juices flowing.

Never tried this but its on offer in Molloys 4 for a tenner at the minute I think so I might pick a few up. Was always curious but because Centinial is in the same offer I tended to go with that as its a favourite of mine.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    BrewDog's Jackhammer is a good 'un for the big hop flavours.
    Grayditch wrote: »

Little things that kill... (didnt want to quote the pic)

I've never seen that but I'll have a look for it in the offi tonight. Thanks.
    Going by what you like and the fact that money isn't too much of a concern :

Nogne ø #500 or 2 Captains are both hugely complex and hoppy.
    Tø Øl Dangerously Close To Stupid is amazing (if fresh). Their First Frontier and Final Frontier are also very good.
    The Brewdog Mashtag that's around is lovely.

I've found most of the Mikkeler beers available here a bit of a disappointment tbh but others rave about them and some are very hoppy.

The ones I've mentioned above are, for me, more hop flavour and aroma hoppy than bitter hoppy, which suits my taste. Don't get me wrong, they are bitter but better balanced imo. I find Jackhammer so bitter it hurts my mouth and I love Hardcore (though, I did like Jackhammer on draught).

I also really really like 8° Full Irish, Amber Ella, Simon Rye, Hurricane and Vic Secret (if you want to go black IPA). Such a good range of hoppy specials from an Irish brewery.

The Weird Beard range that I've tried are very good and I've yet to have a bad beer from Bevertown - really funky cans to boot.

Maybe not so hop forward but Thornbridge beers are very very well made - again a black IPA but their Wild Raven is a favourite of mine.

For a different slant , try Viven Imperial IPA - a Belgian take on the style.

A bottle of each, please for the advice!

Now thats some list, thanks a mil.

It sounds like we have similar tastes. I havent tried the first few beers you mentioned but have taken note for sure.

I agree on the Jackhammer. I didnt think it was all it cracked up to be. Not bad but just not as good as Hardcore imo.

I've tried all the 8 degree stuff and I agree its good. They're normal range is decent but some of the ones you mention are a lot better. They Rye ale is fantastic imo. Also quite the fan of Amber Ella. Delighted its part of their range now. Lovely option.

Also concur with you on Beavertown stuff. Had a can of 8 ball the other night. All aboard the flavour train!! Fantastic stuff. Gas that its Robert Plants son. Cool looking cans too your right there. Its what made me buy one. I know I know never judge a book, etc.. but thankfully I did in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Modus Hoperandi by the Ska Brewing Company is delightfully tasty IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Going to buy a couple of bottles of Korp Stout from these guys:

http://www.fjellbryggeriet.com/

Fairly new brewery here in Norway. Interesting story behind the brewery, they started brewing with smoked malt they got for free from the Nøgne Ø brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Beavertown 8 ball Rye IPA is one of the nicest beers around at the moment. However it's €4 a can(330ml).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Drinking proper job cornish ipa. Don't like it far too fruity.

Just finished a growler of Hammarby Syndrome. Good. Not great. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

rob316 wrote: »
    Drinking proper job cornish ipa. Don't like it far too fruity.

That's pretty much the point. I quite like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

what's the story with sanitizing/cleaning growlers for when you want new refills ? Been thinking about getting one, how do people find them ?

jsa112 wrote: »
    what's the story with sanitizing/cleaning growlers for when you want new refills ? Been thinking about getting one, how do people find them ?

Rinse with cold water immediately after its finished then a few rinses and shakes of boiling water to sterilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

you use it much murphey ? worth getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Picked up 6 pack cruzcampo gran reserva 1904 at the local mercadona .World award winner for strong beer (6.4%). 4.7€ good value.

jsa112 wrote: »
    you use it much murphey ? worth getting ?

Tonight was my first experience with it if I'm honest.

Myself and the Mrs polished off a bottle of Hammarby syndrome.

Once the last glass was poured as per instruction from the guy in the offi I thoroughly rinsed it and then poured a couple of small amounts of boiling water in shaking them about and expelling them. Makes sense in fairness.

I got mine from the offi in Tyrellstown. Amazing offi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Picked up 6 pack cruzcampo gran reserva 1904 at the local mercadona .World award winner for strong beer (6.4%). 4.7€ good value.

It is a good beer, alright. Regular Cruzcampo is wretched though. Generally the 'gran reserva' versions of most Spanish beers are quite good. Mercadona is bad for beers in general but a trip to Carrefour might reveal something decent, depending on where you are.

RasTa wrote: »
    Beavertown 8 ball Rye IPA is one of the nicest beers around at the moment. However it's €4 a can(330ml).

Had that a few weeks ago and yes it's damn good. €4 and well worth it. Might grab a few cans next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Picked up a Maelstrom DIPA from Summer Wine Brewing company, must say I find it lovely very fruity and sweet goes down well

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

erdinger in the oktoberfest.

Have to say completely disappointed. Wiesbier is my usual drink but the stuff at the oktoberfest seemed very light, as if it was watered down. Wasn't pot luck at the tap either, three of us thought the same and we had about 6 drinks at different stands.

Anyone else thought the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gleesonger wrote: »
    erdinger in the oktoberfest.

Have to say completely disappointed. Wiesbier is my usual drink but the stuff at the oktoberfest seemed very light, as if it was watered down. Wasn't pot luck at the tap either, three of us thought the same and we had about 6 drinks at different stands.

Anyone else thought the same?

AFAIK Erdinger Oktoberfest isn't a Weisbier it is an Oktoberfest beer. Usually a slightly stronger nd darker than normal lager. Marzen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AFAIK Erdinger Oktoberfest isn't a Weisbier it is an Oktoberfest beer. Usually a slightly stronger nd darker than normal lager. Marzen.
    Where did you see this? I haven't had it in a long time, but I'm reasonably certain it's a weissbier.

Ah that makes sense actually, i was thinking it was more like a larger.

Although I'm fairly sure the (short) beer menu said Witzenbier.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ah that makes sense actually, i was thinking it was more like a larger.

I thought Erdinger only made wheat beers...

Is this new?

lk67 wrote: »

Is this new?

I thought the same as yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

lk67 wrote: »

Is this new?
    http://www.erdinger.de/en/erdinger-weissbier-products/beer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Was it Fischers maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Having a beoir #1, BB date did say 1/6/14. Didn't realise i still had one. Its prime is very much over. A nice enough sip though.

Had a black boar imperial stout and white hags heather ale. Both very nice. The heather replaces the hops in the beer. Ive had a heather homebrew before and this wasn't too far off it. Its an interesting taste.

Ive had a few white gypsys sours the last week. I really like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Grayditch wrote: »
    beer_281847.jpg

I see you got batch 8 there, the one I tried was batch 7. Either way I'm sure it was delicious. Where did you get it as a matter of interest? My local has been out of supply for the last few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Stone RuinTen IPA. My word this tastes superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I see you got batch 8 there, the one I tried was batch 7. Either way I'm sure it was delicious. Where did you get it as a matter of interest? My local has been out of supply for the last few weeks now.

Ah no, that's not my pic, I just grabbed that off the net. I had the 7. I got mine in Molloy's, Crumlin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement