Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

drumswan wrote: »
    Rascals ginger porter, a bit unremarkable

Williams Bros. Midnight Sun is another ginger porter that is unremarkable. The ginger, I find, imparts a lingering sourness to the beer that doesn't mix well with the sweet malty goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Heroditas wrote: »
    Right, settled down in the place and they have a very good selection!
    Pity about the guy doing cover versions on the far side of the pub but here's hoping the amp breaks...

It's in Temple Bar, of course there's a bloke doing covers!

In fairness, they get the best of them in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Right, settled down in the place and they have a very good selection!
    Pity about the guy doing cover versions on the far side of the pub but here's hoping the amp breaks...

EDIT: having a pint of Chameleon. Really starting to like this beer.

I was in Dublin the other night. Wanted to try out Farington's. Went in and checked out all the draught selection (quite impressive) but couldn't bear the guy with the amped up acoustic guitar bashing out covers either, so I left and strolled up to Bull and Castle for a couple of lovely cask O' Hara's pale ale and an enjoyable beer geek chat with the friendly beer loving barman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had:
    Chameleon
    Fran Well Purgatory
    Porterhouse Hop Head
    O'Hara's IPA
    Fran Well Purgatory again to finish off the night

All fantastic beers but I think my favourite is Purgatory. Great version of an American style IPA IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

couldn't bear the guy with the amped up acoustic guitar
    Welcome to Temple Bar! It's sometimes possible to drink upstairs where it's quieter, but abandoning ship for the Bull & Castle is a good option too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Welcome to Temple Bar! It's sometimes possible to drink upstairs where it's quieter, but abandoning ship for the Bull & Castle is a good option too.

Hadn't been in B&C in a while. The last few times I've been in Then Big Shmoke, I've gone to The Black Sheep or W J Kavanagh's (if staying out that way). This time I considered Sweetman's (as I haven't been since it was Msr. Maguire's) but was too lazy to walk. It was nice to revisit the B&C after a few years and find the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable - which I didn't always find to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had:
    Chameleon

Which variety of Chameleon did you have?

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Which variety of Chameleon did you have?

Duh! Stupid me. I had a pint of Metalman. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Having a kinsale pale ale now. nice and enjoyable. defo one more for the begineer craft beer drinker. Amazingly clear too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Founders All Day IPA is a lovely little thing. :) Having one now before I head to town and hit some harder stuff. It's nice and refreshing!

• Advertisement

Had an Independent Brewery Company pale ale earlier. Very nice indeed.

Now tucking into a bottle of Of Foam and Fury.
    Not bad so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

EDIT: having a pint of Chameleon. Really starting to like this beer.

Yeah, had the current version of Chameleon in (I think) O'Neils recently. Loved the stuff, really good. Hope it gets picked up as a ongoing brew.

Defo try it if anyone has the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

O'Hara's pale ale on tap nice goto beer when no other choice in the pub.

Moved into Mulligans had Galaxy pale bale which was nice.
    Also had Stone Barrel see no evil which I was impressed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

ciaran76 wrote: »
    O'Hara's pale ale on tap nice goto beer when no other choice in the pub.
    I don't know, O'Hara's IPA just doesn't do it for me & God knows I've tried...Leann Folláin now is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's Pliny the Younger time, would anyone line up for beer?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hfVoUxYBFm0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Independent Brewing Pale Ale is not bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ipso wrote: »
    It's Pliny the Younger time

Predator-photo-5-400x216.jpg

You SANAVABITCH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Odells Cut throat porter on draught at Against The Grain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Labbatts blue, 45 minutes in the freezer, fizzes on your tounge....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I forgot how good SN Tumbler is. I might get a couple for tonight. I'm weirdly gone off Widmer Bros. Nelson Imperial. Had one yesterday and I'm kinda gone off it's syrupy feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Bear Republic's Hot Rod Rye Ale. I picked it over their Red Rocket Ale, it didn't have the same rye kick as SN Ruthless Rye but it had a nice but mellow hop profile. I'd take Racer 5 over it.
    I must keep an eye out for their Racer X.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

To Øl black malts & body salts. 9.9% Black IPA with French press coffee. It's really tasty. Nice hit of coffee on the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

How did I forget to mention this !

Jennings Sneck Lifter on cask in L.Mulligans.

Lovely dark red/brown colour pint nice roasted malt taste followed by coffee and caramel. I think I also got a hazelnut tinge but could have been the previous beer still lingering.

I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hello My Name is Vladimir. Brilliant idea, ok beer.

• Site Banned Posts: 19 Reptile_

dublin liberties ale

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had some of Sierra Nevada's Southern Harvest recently. Like with most of their stuff, I quite enjoyed it!

drumswan wrote: »
    Independent Brewing Pale Ale is not bad at all

Agreed, I was very surprised by how good it was for a new brewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Rochefort 6. I'm surprised how nice this is, although probably a bit too much carbonation for my liking, still really nice though.

think I have a mental block when it comes to Belgians, as a result I don't go for them that often, probably missing out on a lot of good stuff as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

not a fan of rochefort 6 myself, should try belgian lambics if you haven't already bazmo

• Advertisement

I like Rochefort a lot. I've only had Westvleteren XII once, but I had Rochefort 10 a few days before that and (slightly!) preferred it. The 8 is also fantastic.

I haven't had R6 in ages though, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it again.

jsa112, are there any lambics available in Ireland that you'd recommend to someone who hasn't had that style before?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement